From no knowledge to 8 properties a month!

From no knowledge to 8 properties a month!

Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2012 · 158 posts · 99 votes

I just wanted to post on here as a story for all of you coming to this site trying to figure out what real estate investing is from the ground up. I started trying to learn how to invest in 2012 by reading "Rich Dad Poor Dad", and by visiting these forums. My first deal was the purchase of a Duplex which I got an FHA loan for and live in half while renting the other half. After a couple of months, lots of dumb questions, and lots of handshaking I was able to close my first pure investment deal (A "subject to" acquisition which I sold as a wrap).

I kept learning on here, kept reading the forums constantly, and kept researching everything I could online until I was to a point where it felt like my full time job was actually hindering investing progress. After tons of prayer I felt like it was time to quit and jump off the deep end. After about a month of stomach ulcers I took all the advice I found on here and went out looking for experienced investors that were local to me and just started picking their brains and bugging them enough until I was able to end up partnering with one of the more successful single family investors in the DFW area.

Since that point things have been growing and growing to where I'm now consistently adding 6-15 properties a month to my portfolio! I've since gotten my RMLO license and am processing seller financed buyers for all the major seller financing players in DFW and have transacted over 250 properties in this last year and a half!

All this to say, take advantage of the massive amounts of knowledge you can find on this forum. Don't be afraid to talk one on one with successful investors around you, and don't be afraid to get out there and take deals down! In an industry like this there's always an answer and there's always a way to grow. That being said, I'm happy to help with anyone's questions so never hesitate to ask.

21Reply
62 views

Most Popular Reply

Joshua D.Pro Member
BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
12y

Guys - Lets keep the thread to Grant's successes vs. converting it to a discussion on crowdfunding. Thanks.

That said, AWESOME stuff, Grant!

See this reply in the discussion

46 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Central Valley, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    Congrats, it sounds like you are busy on many fronts. I'd like to know more about the seller financing loan origination side of your business. I can start another thread if you don't want to go into that here.

    Can you say how sellers find you? And your average charge to originate the loan?

  • Wholesaler · Arlington, TX · Member since 2013 · 59 posts · 29 votes
    12y

    Great success story Grant! I'm a newbie looking to learn all of these things you've experienced . Very inspiring and will contact you as well!

  • Augusta, GA · Member since 2014 · 1 post · 1 vote
    12y
    That's awesome! I also wanted to thank you for sharing. I am trying to start investing because of "Rich Dad Poor Dad" as well and your route is exactly how I'm thinking of starting! I was just about to give up because I don't have much knowledge about real estate but then I opened my bp app and came across your story! Great inspiration at the right time :)
  • Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    Grant,

    You're killing it. Congrats!!!

  • Karen MargraveBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    @Grant Kemp LOVE IT!! Great testimony to the success of BP, and getting out there and aggressively pursuing your vision. Very impressive. Congratulations, and thanks for sharing.

  • Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2012 · 158 posts · 99 votes
    12y

    @Andy Argonaut I recommend reaching out to @Jerry Puckett , he can really help you get going on the marketing side of things. I get a deal off of every campaign he has sent out for me (results may vary :-p)

    @Account Closed I market my RMLO services through the local investor groups. Just make sure to really stick your nose in the books, the only reason I have business there is that I've truly read Dodd-Frank, S.A.F.E act, Truth-in-Lending, RESPA, etc... If you make your self an "expert" on the topic, the lenders will hear of you and start coming your way. Right now I charge a flat fee of $750 per file.

    @Laurana Quichocho I love hearing that! Trust me, just stick with it and study! But most importantly, get out there a do the deal! I see a ton of people get so wrapped up in learning that they become afraid of not knowing everything they need to know and they never actually pull the trigger on a deal. I'm always here to try and help if you've got something in your pipeline you want some extra eyes on. Good luck!

  • Investor · Allen, TX · Member since 2014 · 39 posts · 5 votes
    12y
    Sweet! I am just getting started here in Columbus OH. Thanks for providing the much needed motivation!!
  • San Diego, CA · Member since 2014 · 31 posts · 7 votes
    12y

    Thanks for sharing your inspirational story, Grant!

  • Jamane Y.Pro Member
    Greensboro, NC · Member since 2013 · 169 posts · 29 votes
    12y

    thank you so much for sharing. I needed to read this. J

  • Real Estate Investor · Duluth, GA · Member since 2014 · 51 posts · 20 votes
    12y

    @Grant Kemp...I can vouch for that and confirm your story. I have been on here for about 4 months; researched, asked questions, and researched some more. But, as soon as I started meeting local investors, I finally got one to mentor me, and now I am doing my first deal as a Project Manager over a duplex rehab. So, you are right....you have to get out there.

  • Investor · Tacoma, WA · Member since 2014 · 83 posts · 40 votes
    12y

    Ha! I bet I received some of your mailers. I get them constantly from other investors wanting to purchase my buy and hold single family in Dallas :)

  • Orlando, FL · Member since 2013 · 8 posts · 0 votes
    12y
    Congrats and excellent podcast. Question: do you provide RMLO services in other states? I'm looking for someone in Florida.
  • Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2012 · 158 posts · 99 votes
    12y

    @zach A.

    I do provide RMLO for all of the states that accept the national UST, unfortunately Florida is not one of them. There are 39 states I can originate in, all highlighted in blue here:

    http://mortgage.nationwidelicensingsystem.org/profreq/testing/Documents/UST%20Adoption%20Table%20and%20Map.pdf

  • Orlando, FL · Member since 2013 · 8 posts · 0 votes
    12y
    Thanks Grant for the quick reply! Too bad about Florida, if you have any suggestions or referrals I'd appreciate it. However, I am also seeking RMLO services in San Antonio. I'll try and reach you by phone to introduce myself and discuss further.
  • Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2012 · 158 posts · 99 votes
    12y

    I'm sorry I've got no fla connections, but work often in San Antonio (in fact I'll be there on the 31st to speak at their expo). Let me know when you're ready!

  • Homeowner · Miami, FL · Member since 2014 · 20 posts · 6 votes
    12y

    Listened to the podcast. Very inspiring.

    I stumbled through college, went to art school, became a successful commercial designer. I have progressed through my career from designer to coder to director to business owner and now back to a job I would never have thought to be in, business developement. i think I have grown out of my romantisism of design and matured into realizing what I really love doing, which is dealing with people.

    Its great to hear that you dont need a degree or extensive formal trainging to get started, I almost went the route of getting my realtor license, but this world on BP seems to have bigger opportunities. And the BP community seems to be very sharing and helpful.


    Hope to learn more so that I can do a deal... :)

    Thanks for sharing all that info on the podcast.

  • John CasmonPro Member
    Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    Great story @Grant Kemp That's exactly the reassurance and inspiration needed to believe someone like myself can go from a casual investor to full-time investing.

  • Investor · Harker Heights, TX · Member since 2013 · 69 posts · 17 votes
    12y

    @Grant Kemp , thanks for all the great information and the story of how quickly you've expanded. Just finished listening to your podcast, and the Sub2 topic was great!

    Would love to hear your thoughts on all that space between DFW and San Antonio...sort of the region I'm focusing on, at least at the moment!

    Greg

  • Greg BraunPro Member
    Interior Decorator · Eau Claire, WI · Member since 2013 · 31 posts · 3 votes
    12y

    @Grant Kemp great story. I really loved your podcast as well. i did not realize your niche existed. I have been on the site for about six months working on marketing to sellers in Wisconsin without too much luck. I like the success stories like yours because they keep my eye on the goal and off the temporary setbacks. 

    I wish you the best of luck on your endeavors! Look forward to hearing more.

    Greg Braun

  • Real Estate Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2013 · 3 posts · 3 votes
    12y
    Congrats Grant Kemp ! Great to hear stories like this. I want to get into sub 2 soon and hope I can reach out to you for some advice...
  • Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2014 · 23 posts · 7 votes
    12y

    @Grant Kemp ,

    Oh my goodness Grant.... you just blew my mind!!!!!!! I just listened to your podcast, and you are the answer to my planning prayers. I just started learning about REI, and your approach is one that I believe would fit me best. It's quite genius!

    I'm so grateful to individuals like yourself that share your success, give advice to those whom are in need of it, and have the creativity to develop an admirable and successful business plan. Kudos to you Grant. I will be looking into sub 2's and studying like a mad woman.

    Thank you again for being the person you are, and for sharing yourself and your ideas with the world. You are an inspiration to many of us. 

    I'm excited to follow your success.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.