My first rental (and the closing from hell that it took to get it)

My first rental (and the closing from hell that it took to get it)

Real Estate Investor · Ann Arbor, MI · Member since 2014 · 32 posts · 12 votes

Yesterday I went through my first ever closing process on a duplex that I will be owner-occupying! 

I had to go through some crazy things to get to closing, both my buyers agent and mortgage banker said this was one of the more interesting transactions that they've done, my buyers agent even went as far as saying "If every transaction were this difficult, I would not be in the business". Well, we reached the end of the road yesterday, but here are some of the things I had to deal with:

1.) Signed agreement on 4/17/14 to close on 5/27/14.
2.) Appraiser could not get into house initially because of miscommunication with landlord. 
3.) Home inspection went over smoothly, roof was in bad shape, got $2,200 toward closing costs.
4.) Bank alerts title company that there might be an issue with the title, title company says "No, everything is okay".
5.) One week before closing, the bank learns that the property was transferred from an LLC to the sellers person less than 180 days ago, this means the property falls under flipping rules and needs a second appraisal. Closing is delayed the first time.
6.) Second appraiser also has problems getting into the property.
Second appraisal comes back 1.5 weeks later with no issues.
7.) Bank sends all the paperwork to the title company, title company says that there is an issue with the title, specifically the property was not quit claim deeded from the LLC correctly. Bank says "we told you so".
8.) Correct quit claim deed now needs to be filed with the county before proceeding. One of the executive members of the LLC now lives in Greece, papers have to be sent via FedEx for him to sign and return. Closing delayed a second time.
9.) Quit Claim deed comes back and is filed correctly with the county. 
10.) Title company loses power on Thursday and Friday because of a rain storm. Closing delayed over the weekend.
11.) We finally close the property on 6/24. I am finally a homeowner!!!

Details:
Purchase price $69,000, 2.2k seller credit towards closing costs
One 2-bed 1-bath unit and One 1-bed 1-bath unit, shared basement. 
Rents total are $1400/mo ($800 and $600), I will be occupying the $800 side. I will handle the business by charging myself rent and calculating cash flow from that, simulating as if I were fully renting the property. By my estimates I will be cash flowing about $300/mo.
I financed with FHA at 3.5% down and got a rate of 3.75%. Property appraised for $75,000, with upfront MIP I'm starting at about 90% LTV.

Thanks for reading, advice is appreciated!!!

5Reply
25 views

19 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    12y

    Congrats, @Dru Steeby - I think @Brandon Turner would be proud! That challenging closing will make you a better investor -- wear it with a badge of honor!

  • Real Estate Investor · Ann Arbor, MI · Member since 2014 · 32 posts · 12 votes
    12y

    @Joshua D. , thanks! I'm really looking forward to getting started as an REI. The podcast has given me LOADs of information that helped me out, gave me inspiration, and even connected me with some locals who were successful. Can't thank you guys enough.

  • Hanford, CA · Member since 2013 · 5k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    congratulations!!!! All of our closing has been with either short sale or foreclosure homes so none of our "buys" have been smooth. It makes you a better investor and you learn to stick to your guns!!! Glad it worked out! Good numbers!

  • San Antonio, TX · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    Great to hear your story, congrats!

  • Dawn AnastasiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    @Dru Steeby

    Congrats!

  • Investor · Scotch Plains, NJ · Member since 2014 · 105 posts · 50 votes
    12y

    @Dru Steeby  Congratulations on finally crossing the finish line. Some of those items you can't even make up!

  • Jersey City, NJ · Member since 2014 · 56 posts · 11 votes
    12y

    Congratulations! And I thought we were living the most interesting house-purchase ever!

  • Real Estate Investor · Troy, MI · Member since 2014 · 139 posts · 23 votes
    12y

    I thought sellers paid closing costs, not purchasers?

  • Brandon TurnerPro Member
    Investor · Maui, HI · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    Dude this is AWESOME! This is house hacking at it's finest! How did you snag such a good deal? Those numbers look awesome! Congrats @Dru Steeby !

  • Real Estate Investor · Ann Arbor, MI · Member since 2014 · 32 posts · 12 votes
    12y

    @Brandon Turner , thank you! The house was listed on the MLS as a single family house. Initially I was looking for a SFH and planned to rent a room out to a friend. That deal fell apart and after listening to the podcast and getting advice from Biggerpockets users I decided to pursue an owner-occupied duplex. It happened this one was on my radar because I was looking for a SFH previously. The owner was looking to sell quickly to get money for his restaurant.

  • Real Estate Investor · Ann Arbor, MI · Member since 2014 · 32 posts · 12 votes
    12y

    @Benjamin Timmins , the seller pays most of the closing costs. The items that I was responsible for paying were:

    Loan Origination Fee
    Appraisal
    Flood Certification
    Mortgage Survey
    Up front Mortgage Insurance (FHA, rolled into the loan)
    1 year of homeowners insurance
    Real Estate Taxes (because it is so close to Summer taxes due)
    Title Services and Lender's title insurance
    Government Recording Charges

    Also paid for a home inspection, but that is not part of closing and is not required by the title company or the bank. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Ann Arbor, MI · Member since 2014 · 32 posts · 12 votes
    12y

    @Elizabeth Colegrove thank you!!!

  • Investor · Mount Laurel, NJ · Member since 2014 · 18 posts · 4 votes
    12y

    @Dru Steeby

    Good stuff Dru, congrats!

    I am looking to do the same by the end of the year.

    Question question, what is your total mortgage payment (including taxes, insurance, etc)? Curious if your numbers are factoring in the 50% rule or not.

  • Real Estate Investor · Ann Arbor, MI · Member since 2014 · 32 posts · 12 votes
    12y

    @Nick Payton , not sure if the 50% rule counts escrow as an after mortgage expense, but here is the breakdown:

    Mortgage payment: $388
    Escrow: $237

    total: $625

    Expenses:
    Utilities: $250
    Maintenance: $107
    5% vacancy: $70
    CapEx: $110

    total: $537

    We'll see how well those numbers match up with reality in the next few months or so, with these numbers my cash flow is closer to $250 a month than $300, guess I got too excited in my original post =).

    If Escrow counts towards expenses (taxes and insurance) then I meet the 50% rule for sure. If it doesn't then I am just shy. It does meet the 2% rule though.

  • Real Estate Investor · Ann Arbor, MI · Member since 2014 · 32 posts · 12 votes
    12y

    @Nick Payton , this post by @Brandon Turner is a great read about calculating cash flow:

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2014/06/14/how-to-calculate-cash-flow-rental/

  • Jean BolgerPro Member
    Aurora, CO · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    Is that in Ann Arbor? Nice find - congratulations!

  • Real Estate Investor · Ann Arbor, MI · Member since 2014 · 32 posts · 12 votes
    12y

    @Jean Bolger ,Thank you! No it's not in Ann Arbor, it's a little east of there.

  • Rental Property Investor · AZ · Member since 2013 · 213 posts · 50 votes
    12y

    Great numbers, congratulations on your first successful deal!!

  • Investor · Hattiesburg, MS · Member since 2014 · 280 posts · 98 votes
    12y

    Glad you made it to the finish, from here on out they should look easy.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.