Latest Rental - Pics, What I paid, How I found it, etc.

Latest Rental - Pics, What I paid, How I found it, etc.

Flipper/Rehabber · Rochester, NY · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes

This is a HUD house and I just learned my bid was accepted this morning. I haven't actually closed on the house yet.

How did I find it?  This house actually came up on my daily search of new listings and price drops, but it didn't look super compelling so I didn't pursue it.  However, a wholesaler I've worked with told me about it, told me they countered at very low-ball bid at a price I would be willing to pay.  And he told me the house was in great shape, something not immediately clear from the listing.

I went to the house with the wholesaler and the realtor he works with. She told me the exact price HUD last countered at. (HUD accepts bids online daily and sometimes counters those bids.)

How much am I buying it for and how am I fninancing it? $60K, 25% down, financed through a local credit union that does portfolio loans (they keep there mortgages instead of selling them off) and lends to investors.  15yr loan, probably at around 4.5%.

About the house.  This is a 3bd/1.5ba, 1400sqft house with attached single garage (which is carpeted and was used as a family room or bedroom).  The bid was $60K.  The house is assessed at $96K.  However, realistically, it is worth about $80K in current condition.

What condition is it in?  Below are some pics.  This house needs very little.  Paint and carpet, as they say.  Its in very good rental condition.

What repairs will I make? The paint and floors and cabinets and everything are in good enough shape that I won't do anything besides clean them. I'll power wash the mold of the siding, put in some light bulbs, have the electric and gas and plumbing turned on (HUD winterizes houses) and get a Certificate of Occupancy inspection. I should also look at trimming or taking down a couple of pine trees the drop sap and debris onto the roof. And I'll have it cleaned.

What will I rent it for and how well will it cash flow? One of the nice things about this property is it will likely be rented out within two or three weeks of closing. Probably at $1,100/mo, possibly $1,200/mo. My PITI (principal, interest, taxes, and insurance) expenses will be about $700/mo (our taxes are very high), so, not including maintenance, management and vacancy, it will cash flow between $400 and $500 per month. I self-manage, so if you take of 20% ($220/mo or $240/mo) for maintenance and it will cash flow at $180 to $260 per month. However, I feel I am estimating on the high side, so hopefully it will be better than that. Also, I like to rent-to-owns, so my vacancy is very low and they are responsible for small repairs, so my repairs are low too.

Would this be a success story for other investors?  No.  I happen to know the price would have had to be about $55K for other investors.  And it wouldn't be cash flowing well enough for them.  But for me, it works.  It cash flows well enough.  I am getting a nice house in a nice neighborhood.  I'm getting it with $20K equity built in.  I could put $10K into it and flip it $90K but I am trying to build up my buy-and-hold portfolio.

3Reply
18 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Investor · Raeford, NC · Member since 2014 · 137 posts · 39 votes
12y

Awesome! Love the pics.

See this reply in the discussion

16 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Raeford, NC · Member since 2014 · 137 posts · 39 votes
    12y

    Awesome! Love the pics.

  • Chris T.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2013 · 491 posts · 253 votes
    12y

    Congrats!  That seems like a nice deal.

  • Investor · Fairfield-New Haven-Hartford County, CT · Member since 2013 · 825 posts · 413 votes
    12y

    Hi @Larry Turowski Great job! 

    Everyone has different investment objectives, and there's certainly nothing wrong with building a rental portfolio - fantastic job! Looking forward to hearing more successes from you.

  • Dawn AnastasiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    Great find! Cash flow is more than just Rent - PITI - PM however. There's repairs, CapEx, etc.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Rochester, NY · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    @Chance Cooper @Chris T. Thanks.  I am trying to give specifics about the whole thing and not just say I got a  nice house, or I made so much.

    @Jonathan Makovsky True.  I am just starting to learn what is comfortable for me.  But I am also trying to learn if I can do better than I am doing.

    @Dawn Anastasi Yup, point taken.

  • Investor · Rochester, NY · Member since 2014 · 90 posts · 41 votes
    12y

    @Larry Turowski Thanks for sharing.  This is an excellent find and follow through!

  • Real Estate Agent · Bronx, NY · Member since 2013 · 40 posts · 6 votes
    12y

    Hello Larry ,

    Great  story  congrats !  Buy and Hold properties are great and if you are making positive 

    cash flow,   then that is what really matters ! 

    Regrads,

    Francisco 

  • Rental Property Investor · Douglas County, MO · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    Nice!

  • Rental Property Investor · Manteno, IL · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    re: Cash flow.

    Yea. It is more than just that. But I find one of the best ways to determine a good deal in relative terms is to use gross profit. It avoids the arguments that everybody on the site has about how much you should be account for this, that and the other.

    Gross profit of $400 to $500 is a solid deal.

    But are you really going to leave the paint? That green is not exactly easy on the eyes. :-)

    Still, thats a very good point on knowing your market. At 60k with about 4 to 5k in rehab/expenses, you're going to be all in at around 80% LTV (based on your 80k number). That may not look that great.

    But the bottom line is you're putting in about 20k to 24k to add an additional 400 to 500 a month in gross profit and grab 20k in equity. Thats a solid return and a great way to continue to grow a portfolio. Sometimes, the LTV numbers just don't work but the cash flow numbers still do. I'm all for pulling the trigger on a deal if you have the cash and its going to generate the cash flow.

    While it may be a little high on the LTV side for what I would do, the fact remains that you were able to grow your portfolio and increase your cash flow. Had you waited for it to drop down to a better LTV, it probably would have been picked up by somebody else instead.

    At some point, when your goal is to grow, you have to do what you have to do to continue adding properties.  

  • Property Manager · Livonia, MI · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    good for you!

    those hard floors look immaculate

  • Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2009 · 718 posts · 913 votes
    12y

    I gotta agree with @Mike H. that your numbers are solid, and I think you're very smart not to get too caught up in the LTV game. Yes, other investors might poo poo the LTV, but what matters most is whether it's working as part of your overall financial strategy. If you've got a good, full time job and you have access to good financing (which is the lifeblood of buy and hold), you can pay more than a 70%-repairs person, and still keep moving forward. In my area, those true 70% deals are tough (not impossible) to find. I found that the amount of time, effort, and money I spent trying to find them was just not worth it, and I wasn't able to buy enough to grow my portfolio. Kudos and keep up the good work.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Rochester, NY · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    Just an update.  Hit a glitch.  I decided to opt for an inspection, which I almost never do, and it turns out it was a good thing.  I called the field service company that is maintaining the property to get access for inspection and found out that the instant hot water heater, according to their own reports, is likely bad.  This was not previously disclosed.

    These things are very expensive.  I'm having my heating and plumbing contractor take a look at it tomorrow.  If it does need to be replaced I'll be asking for a concession.  But this may scuttle the deal.

  • Knoxville, TN · Member since 2014 · 116 posts · 57 votes
    12y

    A hot water heater kill a deal???

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Rochester, NY · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    Closed on this house yesterday. What a ride with HUD! The bank appraised it at $80k and I have found bank appraisals to be about 8% low for refis, though I wasn't refi-ing. I think the house is worth about $85k.

    So I've got about $20k equity. I'm actually contemplating trying to flip it--not my original intention.  

  • Real Estate Agent · Milwaukee County, WI · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 525 votes
    11y

    well done 

    very nice

    How did you have to bring to closing ?

  • Real Estate Agent · Milwaukee County, WI · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 525 votes
    11y

    How much did you have to bring to closing?

    Sorry about that @Larry T.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.