My First Deal Analysis - Round Two

My First Deal Analysis - Round Two

Rental Property Investor · Buffalo, MO · Member since 2014 · 51 posts · 9 votes

Since my first property I was seriously looking at fell through, I thought I would try this again.  Hopefully it is a winner this time.

@Bram Spiero 

 I just wanted to let you know that I am evaluating another deal again to give you a chance to jump in.

It is really too bad that I cannot attach files to the post.  I guess I need more training on how to actually use BP.  I have been so focused on everything else, that I haven't worked on that.

Here's the info, though:

$320,000 asking price, although my highest and best offer would be $302,000.  This property has 10 1br 1ba units.  It brings in $4400/mo in rent and laundry, making the rent $425/unit.  This could be upped to $495/unit and still be below market rent, which would make the income potential to be $5100/mo.  I am basing my numbers on the lower rent number as I am not able to see the place until Friday.

I must also say that my father has dabbled in investing in this area, and either owns or has owned (and rented) about 10 properties in the area.  He is the one giving me these numbers, although I am concerned they are a little low.  This could just be analysis paralysis kicking in as well.  So, I am here presenting his numbers to see what you guys think and go from there.  The rent numbers above I completely agree with, as the higher of the two numbers is still lower than what I was originally thinking they should rent at (based on my initial analysis so far from comps at $550/mo and beyond).

The initial mortgage would be for $240,000 @ 4.25% 20 years for a monthly payment of $1486.  We would ask the seller to carry back $52,000 @ 5% 10 years for a monthly payment of $552.

Mortgage 1: $1486

Mortgage 2: $552

Taxes:  $333

Insurance: $250

Repairs: $400

Pest Control: $20

Water: $100

Electric: $350

Trash: $100

Replacement: $200

Vacancy: $220

This gives him a total of $3911 for all expenses (including mortgages) leaving $489 available for cashflow.  He thinks a great deal and I should pursue it.  I am not as sure.  A couple of things I think he is leaving out:

Management: $440/mo.  This is something that I will not necessarily need at first, but I will want it at some point (possibly before I get Mortgage 2 paid off).  This would pretty much leave me with no cashflow once I add this in.

Other Capital Expenditures: $300 per month on top of what he has for replacement (which I think may be low anyway - he tends to only want to replace stuff when it breaks, but I want to be able to rent my place, so remodels need to happen every once in a while).

As it stands now, I don't think I would be cashflowing for 10 years, and even then, it would be just a bit.  Maybe he knows something I don't.  It's hard to have a good conversation with him about it, as he is in Afghanistan and we are communicating by e-mail.  Every time I send him something saying that I think his numbers are low or that I think he is missing things, he just writes back telling me to use this spreadsheet he made to go to the bank and see what they will give me on a loan.  So, I don't know exactly what he is thinking.

That's why I am on here with this awesome BP community.  Is my dad right?  Is this a good deal from your eyes (clearly, I don't expect you to know the market).

One more important detail. This property is being sold FSBO by an investor who has been doing it for 40 years. He told me over the phone that he is liquidating to be able to retire. He doesn't want to be tied down to the property, so the idea of seller financing does not make him happy. He would rather someone come to the table with the down payment. I told him that if he would work with me, he might be able to get away from the property faster, and give him cashflow in retirement that would require no work on his part. He doesn't know that my dad has already done some investing in properties (and could back me up financially if needed). That's another dilemma for me. I don't want my dad backing me up financially. I would love to do this on my own, but my dad being a somewhat successful investor could play in my favor with earning this guy's trust. That and showing him that I have at least had a good education and just need some experience under my belt to make it work.

I will update on Friday as to what my conversation with the seller was, but I would like to get some feedback before Friday so that I have a good general idea of how good a deal this is.  If it's something I should be interested in at current rental rates, then I will be more willing to work with the guy.  If not, then it may not be worth pursuing.  If rates were really at $5100 now, then this would be something I would be much more comfortable with as my cashflow before Mortgage 2 is paid off would be about $450.  Right now if you include my concerns, cashflow would be about -$250 for 10 years.

So, what do you think?  Should I pursue this or move on?  Are my dad's estimates good, or do I need to rework them?  Any and all advice is appreciated.

Thank you!

0Reply
88 views

Most Popular Reply

Mike D'ArrigoPro Member
Turn key provider · San Jose, CA · Member since 2010 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
11y

@Trevis Kelley 

I hate to say it but I see a lot of holes in your Dad's advice. In my opinion, it doesn't make sense to buy something with no cash flow and count on appreciation, especially in the Midwest. All data shows the real estate recovery is cooling off and will continue to do so in 2015. Where is he appreciation going to come from? The Midwest is a cash flow market and if you're not getting cash flow from the start it's not a good deal. $1800/yr is crazy for insurance. but that's Kansas for you. Kansas has some of the highest insurance rates in the nation. Pay attention to insurance. It can kill your cash flow in some markets but it's an afterthought to a lot of people. Why not invest across the border in Kansas City MO? MO insurance premiums are much lower than Kansas and MO is a much more landlord friendly state. I'm just not seeing anything here that would make me want to do this deal, especially when you can do much better going across the state line.

Mike

See this reply in the discussion

38 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Roy N.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y

    @Trevis Kelley 

    Something I should have asked in my initial reply to this thread.

    Who do you envision as the primary lender (taking the mortgage in first position) on the property?

  • Rental Property Investor · Buffalo, MO · Member since 2014 · 51 posts · 9 votes
    11y

    I am going bank shopping tomorrow.  I am going to present the numbers with the seller financing and see what they tell me.  If bank after bank doesn't like it, I won't pursue it further (I am planning on shopping many banks tomorrow).  I am thinking that I can call around to find portfolio lenders first, as then I will have an established relationship by the time I need those kinds of loans.

  • Roy N.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y

    @Trevis Kelley 

    A conventional lender is most likely not going to sign on to a deal where you have no skin in the game (100% financing).  

    On a commercial property, most conventional lenders will only extend a note up to 75%, occasionally 80%, LTV in first position. Furthermore the primary lender will likely only accommodate a vendor carry in second position up to a total LTV of 85% (so if the bank is lending 75%, they vendor carry can only be 10%) and will expect you to have 15% of your own money in the deal. At one time you could have a first and second for 90% LTV and the investor only need to put down 10%, but we have not seen one of those in a while.

    Now, the downpayment could come from a family member (or other third-party) if (and only if) it is a gift (i.e. no expectation of repayment).

  • Rental Property Investor · Buffalo, MO · Member since 2014 · 51 posts · 9 votes
    11y

    Thanks for the heads up on that.  I guess I will just pitch what I want and see what happens.  I am definitely not going in thinking that the bank will jump at this, but I won't know what I can accomplish until I try it.

  • Rental Property Investor · Buffalo, MO · Member since 2014 · 51 posts · 9 votes
    11y

    @Mike D'Arrigo @Trevor Ewen @Dmitri L. @Aaron Montague @Roy N. @JT Spangler @Account Closed 

    I have talked to pretty much all the banks that do commercial lending.  They want me to bring 20% to the table that is not financed.  They said I can get it through a partnership, a gift, cash, or pulling out equity.  No other ways are acceptable.  So, I now have to think about where to go to get those dollars, or if this deal is dead in the water.  I may try to get the seller to finance, but he did not seem interested in it at all.  Maybe if I can in, raise rents, and then refi, I could get his money back to him in about a year or so.  If not, then I would have to wait until I get about 3 years in before I would be able to pay the balance back to him.  I would have to think long and hard about an offer like that, and how best to present it.  So, it will be interesting.  I welcome all advice.

    I also wanted to send another big thank you for the advice you have already given.  It has been invaluable.

  • Mike D'ArrigoPro Member
    Turn key provider · San Jose, CA · Member since 2010 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y

    @Trevis Kelley 

    This deal is becoming even less attractive. It's not clear to me how you would be able to refinance in 1 year or be able to pay the balance off in 3 years. It looks to me like you're counting on appreciation to make it work and that is a high risk strategy. You have no control over it. This is how so many people got in trouble in "08. A deal with no cash flow and a risky pay back strategy is not a deal in my opinion. Don't mean to be a wet blanket but I'm just not seeing this as a good deal at all.

    Mike

  • Rental Property Investor · Buffalo, MO · Member since 2014 · 51 posts · 9 votes
    11y

    @Mike D'Arrigo 

    If I raised rents in the place, that would appreciate it, right?  That would pay off the seller after about a year of holding.  However, since that is not my only strategy, my calculations on the loan would be as follows:

    100% Seller Financing (I know that's a dream idea):

    2059/mo @ 5%

    Cashflow from property: $637.60 (I would be PM during that time).

    If I apply all cashflow to the loan, then I come up with 80% equity in just over 3 years.  At that point, I can refi into a 20 year loan and pay the seller back.  Once I have done that, I am looking at $1049/mo in cashflow (or $600/mo if I use a PM) until I pay off the mortgage as the new monthly payment would be $1647.25.

    Of course, I don't think that the seller would go for that and would want probably at least 10-20K into the deal, if he's going to do it at all.  That said, I am still debating whether or not it's worth the effort.  I am beginning to side with you, that it may not be a good deal for me.  I would need to think about that.

  • Investor · DFW, TX · Member since 2013 · 319 posts · 101 votes
    11y

    @Trevis Kelley

    They said I can get it through a partnership, a gift, cash, or pulling out equity. 

    Based on this, I don't think the lender will let the owner carry back a 2nd. Unless you can convince the current owner to stay on as your equity partner you would need to look elsewhere.

    If it doesn't work now, you can keep following up and maybe the seller will be more motivated in 6-12 months to work with you on price

     -D

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Miami, FL · Member since 2013 · 195 posts · 138 votes
    11y

    The seller wants to retire, you said?

    I don't like the numbers as presented.

    Wait six months (saving up in the meantime) and try re-approaching him at that point.  As he becomes more motivated, the asking price will come down.

    Also, you need some cash reserves.  You're planning on walking a tight rope with no safety net on your first deal.  It's too big, and too dangerous, to not have some cash backing you.

  • Rental Property Investor · Buffalo, MO · Member since 2014 · 51 posts · 9 votes
    11y

    @Mike D'Arrigo @Trevor Ewen @Robert G. @Dmitri L. @Aaron Montague @Roy N. @JT Spangler @Account Closed 

    Update:  Seller will not do anything to finance the property at all, and I don't think I will find a partner.  As far as I am concerned, this deal is dead (unless seller changes his mind later on).  I have found another one that looks much more promising, but would be outside of my comfort.  However, I am working it anyway, and will have it posted here in the deal analysis in a bit.  My understanding of what to have ready when posting a deal analysis is getting better as I go along, and so I am getting closer to having the knowledge to find deals I can actually close on.

  • Rental Property Investor · Brookline, MA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 777 votes
    11y

    @Trevis Kelley 

    Keep the deal on your back burner and move on to the next one.  Prices tend to drop quickly if there hasn't been a buyer in months.  Plus a more attractive offer will garner you much more investor interest.

    A vital skill for RE investing is knowing when to move on AND the will to do it. 

    Happy (next) House Hunting!!

  • Rental Property Investor · Buffalo, MO · Member since 2014 · 51 posts · 9 votes
    11y

    @Aaron Montague 

    That's what I am doing.  I am actually entertaining another property.  I have the new deal posted here.  It is better than the last one, I think.  Just need some advice to help navigate some of the issues, and I think it will be a winner.

    Thank you all for the help!

  • Specialist · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2014 · 528 posts · 226 votes
    11y

    @Trevis Kelley

    current rents of 425/unit don't warrant a 30k/unit purchase price. You'll need rents in excess of 550/unit to actually make anything. Good luck

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.