How I use creative financing to get my first 6 units.

How I use creative financing to get my first 6 units.

Residential Real Estate Agent · Paterson, NJ · Member since 2013 · 78 posts · 42 votes

Lately I've been going to more real estate meet ups in my local area, and I'v notice a shift change in my presence. When I first started going before I did any deals, I was always the guy asking questions, trying to pick all the experience out people's brain as I could. Now lately when I have been attending I started to notice that I was telling my story to a lot of new guys who want to get started. Then I realized that there was value in my real estate experience, no matter how much or little I had. Which lead me to want to share on bigger pockets because I'm sure some one would be able to take something from my story. 

I'll just jump right into the first deal. I've known since I was in college that real estate was the place I wanted to be. I was fascinated by the idea of owning a property and having some one pay you to live there and you make money at the end of every month for providing housing and keeping them happy. I've always wondered how does an inner city kid like myself with no money, or family or friends to get help from in this space get started. The first thing I did was turn to books, I began reading everything I could find on real estate to build a knowledge base of the field. Then I started speaking to people that seemed like they could guide me in the right direction. I ended up sitting down with a mortgage broker because I found out that having the money lined up or being able to buy was most important. During our conversation he told me about a program that would allow me to purchase a property with only 3.5% down. From there I had goal in mind and it was my focus for the next few month. I was able to land a job teaching right out of college and I went back home with mom. I paid my mother $300 a month and saved everything else that I could in order to get the down payment money I needed to buy my first house. I saved up $15,000 and bought my first 3 family home just a year after graduating collage. 

Now I am in the game, I'm 24 years old, I own a home and I'm a landlord. The FHA loan is a great way for beginners to get started, the only problem is that this trick only works once. Even with the additional income from the house, it would still take me a substantial amount of time to save up 20%-30% down for another property. Back to the drawing board, I'm reading books and calling mortgage brokers all over the state to see what I can do to get around such a large down payment. I start to get the feeling that there is no hope as the months go by and my bank account is not growing fast enough, especially with all the un expected expenses for the house and evictions with tenants which I can cover at another time if anyone is interested. In my time of desperation, I hear something about an educational program (which I will not disclose right now) that help beginners grow their real estate business. I'll keep this part short, lets just say that program was very expensive and I didn't have the money to pay for it. But these guys are smart and they know that many people would come across this problem, so they actually have a department to help people increase their credit card limits to be able to afford it. In just a week I was able to increase my total credit limit on 2 cards from $5,000 to $35,000. Through speaking with the credit card company call receivers, I discover a way to get that credit transferred to my bank account interest free for and extended period of time. Now I'm left with an ultimatum, I either spend this money on an expensive educational course or use this money to go fund my next deal and get real time experience. Now I've already been looking for a deal even though I did not have the funds. This $35,000 on top of what I already had saved put me in perfect position to buy my next deal, all I had to do was let the money get seasoned for 3 months and it was game on. This deal also had plenty of unforeseen circumstances which also can be tabled for another discussion. To keep this story short, after being under contract for 10 months, I closed on my second 3 family house. Ill give you some brief numbers on this deal an how it worked out. Total income on the house was $3,000 a month and the expenses are around $1500. I was also able to pay the credit card payments from the cash-flow of the house. I would put $500 towards the cards and $1000 in the bank for emergencies every month. Now I am in the process of doing a cash out refinance to pay the cards off.

Obviously there are a lot more details that goes in to both stories but you get the picture. A lot of people told me I was crazy to do that because of how risky it is especially with the high credit card interest or paying PMI on and FHA loan. But these are some of the same people with the same dreams as me, yet I now own 6 units and they own none. If you are going to be cheap or scared to take a risk, then maybe real estate is not for you. With every win, there are going to be loses but most importantly, experience is being gained. I always tell people do whatever it is you have to do in order to get started. It may not be the way I did it or any body else, it may be more risky or safer; but get started, slow progress is better then no progress and some money is better then no money.

Dashon Jones

Multifamily Investor

NJ Realtor 


15Reply
260 views

Most Popular Reply

Flipper · The Colony, TX · Member since 2014 · 15 posts · 25 votes
11y

@Brian Gibbons @Dashon Jones

Come on Brian,

You don't have to try and belittle Dashon because you are so much more experienced than him. You sound very condescending and not very encouraging.

Dashon made a deal! Better than I can say for me. For us new investors trying to get our foot in the door, it can be really de motivating to hear someone like you talking down to him.

I think the purpose of these forums are to encourage each other to succeed. 

Maybe nexttime think about positively how to encourage new guys like us.

I for one would appreciate it.

Great job Dashon! I am truly happy for you. Every success story I hear gives me more courage to take a step forward.

Rock on!

See this reply in the discussion

72 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Hamilton, NJ · Member since 2015 · 14 posts · 1 vote
    11y

    @Dashon Jones 

    First off, much continued success to you. I am also from NJ and looking to purchase my first multi-unit property, however I am being told that a minimum down payment of 15% is required when purchasing multi family properties. I see you noted that you put down 3.5% on your first multi-unit property. Perhaps I'm being misinformed. Can you give me some insight into this...it would be greatly appreciated.

  • Real Estate Consultant · Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 720 posts · 439 votes
    11y

    @Todd Long you need 3.5-5% down on an FHA loan if you buy a 2-4 unit property owner occupant. You can also buy a 2-4 unit with a conventional loan with a minimum of 5-10% down.

  • Real Estate Investor · Larned, KS · Member since 2015 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    11y
    Dude you got started and that's all that matters! $35k isn't going to break anyone and you should be very proud of yourself for turning that into 6 units. People who have to start from scratch have to be more creative than those with a silver spoon... Take your time now that you have 6 and pay off the credit cards. Once paid off do it again.
  • Investor · Hamilton, NJ · Member since 2015 · 14 posts · 1 vote
    11y

    @Lumi Ispas thank you Lumi. My intentions aren't to owner occupy so I guess that's why I wouldn't qualify for a FHA or conventional loan. Do you know of any other loans with lower down payments for non owner occupant 2-4 unit properties?

  • Silver Spring, MD · Member since 2015 · 1 post · 0 votes
    11y

    Dashon, 

    Thanks for sharing your experience. It is very encouraging to see someone jump start their venture and stick with it by applying out of the box approaches to achieve their goals. The financing strategy you present would not work for everyone but the main take away I gleaned is that each investor needs to assess their resources and be open to creative approaches to meet the financing gaps that threaten to derail their objectives.

    Congrats.

  • Real Estate Consultant · Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 720 posts · 439 votes
    11y

    @Todd Long most of the banks have a minimum down payment of 20% down. Most of the people that buy 3-4 flat do not intend to occupy them for long. The requirement is to occupy the property for one year, however in certain circumstances you can move out sooner. 

    A different approach to have less down from your pocket will be to partner up with a family member that has the down-payment and no Real Estate knowledge and for you to do all the work in finding, fixing up, renting, managing the property.

    The other option is to become really creative with financing, meaning to become really knowledgeable about  owner financing, least to own, etc.

    Good luck to you!

  • Investor · Hamilton, NJ · Member since 2015 · 14 posts · 1 vote
    11y

    @Lumi Ispas thank you Lumi...appreciate the information. I will weigh my options. Thanks again!

  • Realtor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2014 · 935 posts · 467 votes
    11y

    @Dashon Jones Persevere my man!

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2014 · 217 posts · 170 votes
    11y
    Good story. I have used 0% credit cards for down payments, rehab, maintenance, you name it. The key is knowing that the "cash flow" you get from that property goes right back to paying off the credit card before it hits your pocket. I would argue it is a faster way to build the portfolio as well since you now have a property throwing off some cash instead of just your paycheck to save up for the next down payment. My banker does not agree with the above statements however. LOL
  • Kerry BairdPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Melbourne, FL · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    11y
    Congratulations on your deals. I don't see that this strategy is much different from hard money loans, which also were a bit scary at first to me. These are simply other tools in your tool box. People used to tell me that I couldn't do subject to deals, when I was doing them. I'd recommend that strategy, btw, and other types of owner carry. As I read I was thinking about your debt to income, whether you'd be able to get a mortgage approved. You have seemingly solved that problem.
  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Paterson, NJ · Member since 2013 · 78 posts · 42 votes
    11y

    @John Kim both of my deals actually came off of the mls, this week I will start my own marketing to find deals

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Paterson, NJ · Member since 2013 · 78 posts · 42 votes
    11y

    Thank you @Todd Long , @Lumi Ispas hit it right on the head. I'm not finding anyone who would go under 20% on an investment property. If you don't actually own a house yet, its not a bad way to get start, using owner occupied discounts.

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Paterson, NJ · Member since 2013 · 78 posts · 42 votes
    11y

    @Kerry Baird yes, that was a problem and a big one, especially being that I had just bought the other property a year before. Here again is where hammering the phones paid off, I found a local bank to give me a commercial loan to base the purchase off the income of the house and not my personal income only. Every bank I spoke to said it would be no way for anyone to give me a loan, but perseverance paid off big time. I don't like to accept no as an answer to easily..lol

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Paterson, NJ · Member since 2013 · 78 posts · 42 votes
    11y

    @Jason C. 

    Exactly, we all know what the politically correct thing is to do, but who's trying to wait years and years to save up a down payment. I say if you can find a loop hole ethically, exploit it as long you aren't doing anything illegal. 

    Let's be honest, the bank takes advantage of us all the time, so why not take advantage of them if the opportunity arises. 

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Paterson, NJ · Member since 2013 · 78 posts · 42 votes
    11y

    @Chris Ashman 

    Exactly, that was the only purpose of the post. I was not intended to be a follow me and do as I did type of thing. @Brandon Turner book on no money down investing actually inspired me to write this. 

  • Lender · NY / FL · Member since 2013 · 240 posts · 44 votes
    11y

    @Dashon Jones glad it worked out, that few months interest on that card still might have been cheaper than hard money and you got it done. Let us know how you make out with the refinance. 

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Paterson, NJ · Member since 2013 · 78 posts · 42 votes
    11y

    Will do @Nick G.

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Paterson, NJ · Member since 2013 · 78 posts · 42 votes
    11y

    @Nick G. The appraisal came back at 180k and I purchased the property for 125k. So I'm pulling out the cash to pay the cards down now. Mission accomplished. 

  • Dana WhickerPro Member
    Investor · Fernandina Beach, FL · Member since 2014 · 557 posts · 374 votes
    11y

    @Dashon Jones Nice, congrats!

  • Investor · Collinsville, IL · Member since 2014 · 63 posts · 22 votes
    11y

    Congrats.  Reminds me of a Seth Godin quote (paraphrased due to my poor memory)..."Using debt to buy things you don't need is stupid...using debt to create income is genius."  Well done my friend.  

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Paterson, NJ · Member since 2013 · 78 posts · 42 votes
    11y

    @Dana Whicker  Thanks

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Paterson, NJ · Member since 2013 · 78 posts · 42 votes
    11y

    @Joshua Rogers Exactly how I saw it. I also created a bunch of equity by just finding a good deal and doing minor repairs. 

  • Lender · NY / FL · Member since 2013 · 240 posts · 44 votes
    11y

    @Dashon Jones nice work, congrats!

    What type of repairs were done to boost that ARV? Also what LTV ratio is the lender offering on the cash out?

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Paterson, NJ · Member since 2013 · 78 posts · 42 votes
    11y

    Minor minor plumbing work. I had a discount in the purchase. They are only giving my 70%  but from the banks that I have called with larger ltv, I would have to wait a year to use new appraised value. So its always a give and take.

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Paterson, NJ · Member since 2013 · 78 posts · 42 votes
    11y
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.