I bought my first Multifamily (triplex)!!

I bought my first Multifamily (triplex)!!

Jon HuberPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 713 votes

Hello BP Nation!
I am here to tell you all of my latest closing. I got my first multifamily investment! As some of you may know, last month I celebrated being a bicoastal investor when I settled on a single family property in South Florida. While I was there for closing, I decided to make the most of my time, and look at other properties. I found a triplex in the area I wanted near Palm Beach Gardens, FL, but it was slightly overpriced. I called the realtor, and they didn't pick up (THINGS TO REMEMBER #1: If you are a realtor, and you want a sale, ALWAYS pick up your phone). With no answer, I decided to drive by to see the neighborhood. There was a FSBO sign with a different number than the realtor, so I called, and it was the seller. The seller had an exclusive agreement that if the realtor found the buyer, it was 3%, and if the seller found the buyer it was a 2% commission. Upon my walk through, there were things to take notice, but overall in good condition, just a bit overpriced. I pulled out my trusted Buy and Hold spreadsheet, using the same calculations as the BP Calc page (thanks guys!)... and begin to show them why they haven't had the activity that they had hoped. (THINGS TO REMEMBER #2: Always know your numbers to determine if the deal is good). Seeing the lack of cash flow, they agreed to negtiate. (THINGS TO REMEMBER #3: Had the realtor picked up, NO WAY I'd be able to negotiate directly with the seller). I ran through my numbers and came to a great number to begin negotiations (THINGS TO REMEMBER #4: If your initial offer doesn't make you cringe, you're offering to high... stolen from many BP posts. Not mine originally). I came in low, they told me their bottom. They were far apart, we split the difference. We had closing on Friday, so it is officially mine.

  Overall, I got the property for less than 80% of asking price. Also, it should be noted that the rents are way below market value (about 80% of market value). The seller's logic behind this was that it was easier to find tenants and to keep long term tenants by keeping the rents low. (THINGS TO REMEMBER #5: Under market rents, where there is no rent control, is an advantage to the buyer). The value of the property was shown by how much income was coming in. When I can show the sellers that the property isn't worth what they think it is using this valuation, it opened the door for easier negotiating. Overall, with the rents far below market, I am still cash flowing $430+ a month (5% vacancy, 5% maintenace/repair, 5% capex, 10% prop mgmt). Bringing the rents to 90% of market will cash flow $655+, and 100% market value would be $880. Being that I would like to keep the tenants, I would never make the dramatic jump to market value, but I plan to get there incrementally (perhaps over two years). I'll keep everyone updated on the progress. I couldn't have done it without the help of BP Nation! Thank you all so much!

12Reply
130 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Temple City, CA · Member since 2015 · 11 posts · 3 votes
11y

Congrats Jon

See this reply in the discussion

47 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Gainesville, FL · Member since 2013 · 32 posts · 10 votes
    11y

    Congrats, @Jon Huber! This sounds like a fantastic opportunity.

  • Rental Property Investor · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2014 · 27 posts · 13 votes
    11y

    Congrats Jon! Thanks for sharing the details. 

  • Investor · Temple City, CA · Member since 2015 · 11 posts · 3 votes
    11y

    Congrats Jon

  • Jon HuberPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 713 votes
    11y

    Thank you... one thing to mention. I do have a property management company, being that I live in Los Angeles. Because there are already tenants in every unit, there is no tenant placement fee. More money saved... 

  • Wholesaler · Monroe, NC · Member since 2015 · 98 posts · 68 votes
    11y

    @Jon Huber

     Congratulations! It sounds like you have stuck to your guns and you got it done!

  • Jon HuberPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 713 votes
    11y

    @Lindsay Diven @Emily Pierce @Andrew Helen @Nadia White... Thank you for the congrats.

    I should have noted that I couldn't have done it without the podcasts of @Joshua D. and @Brandon Turner

    Also, with the help of my trust LA group of: @Sanaz M Huber @Kyle Atans @Evelyn Jordan@Brandon Turner @Sean Hurwitz @Josh McGinnis @Jeff Greenberg@Shane W. @Shane W.  @Mel Jeffrey @Peggy Liu... and all of the others that join us every month at the Los Angeles meetups. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    Congratulations @Jon Huber!  That looks like a wonderful deal for you.  All I can say is I am so jealous of you right now.  I'm hoping to get a small multi-family like that one next year.  Hopefully I'll get as good a deal as yours.

  • Rental Property Investor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2015 · 272 posts · 50 votes
    11y

    Congratulations @Jon Huber!!! 

    I can't wait to get my first Multi Family!! 

  • Jon HuberPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 713 votes
    11y

    @Account Closed  This is purely a Buy & Hold. As for the other Rules of Thumb (sp? Rule of Thumbs?)... I am meeting the 1% rule, even with the rents far below market. 

  • Commercial Real Estate Broker · Tampa, FL · Member since 2014 · 216 posts · 86 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Jon Huber:

     (THINGS TO REMEMBER #5: Under market rents, where there is no rent control, is an advantage to the buyer).

    This is a PARTICULARLY difficult point to get across to newbie buyers...they look at the actual cash flow and conduct the due diligence off of current rent.  They will miss some of the best opportunities by not being able to think outside of the box (ability to bring rents up to current market value, charge back water, etc).  

    Congratulations on your  purchase!  

  • Jon HuberPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 713 votes
    11y

    @Eric Odum  Thank you, and I completely agree. There are other ways I am going to assess my cash flow. Right now they have a pest service, water softener service, etc etc. I will work with my prop mgmt company to consolidate these.

  • Investor · Royal Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2013 · 162 posts · 67 votes
    11y

    Just put an offer on my first multi.  Hoping it goes as smoothly as yours @Jon Huber

  • Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 25 posts · 12 votes
    11y

    Great job and a very nice part of Florida! 

  • Investor · Asheville, NC · Member since 2011 · 833 posts · 499 votes
    11y
    Congratulations Jon Huber ! Sounds like you got a great deal, thanks for sharing your experience.
  • Jon HuberPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 713 votes
    11y
  • Developer · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2012 · 132 posts · 32 votes
    11y

    Go @Jon Huber you are rocking it I am so proud of you.

  • Rental Property Investor · Winter Park, FL · Member since 2014 · 64 posts · 13 votes
    11y

    Way to go!  I'm looking in both the South Florida and Orlando area for my first deal of any kind.  Great you found a multi!

  • Investor · Valrico, FL · Member since 2012 · 32 posts · 9 votes
    11y

    Congrats @Jon Huber, those are great tips, and it sounds like you ended up with a great deal!

  • Rocky Hill, CT · Member since 2014 · 200 posts · 56 votes
    11y

    @Jon Huber- Great job...best of luck with the property. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2015 · 92 posts · 10 votes
    11y

    congrats!

  • Real Estate Investor · Eola, IL · Member since 2014 · 137 posts · 22 votes
    11y

    Great job @Jon Huber.. Thanks for sharing the tips and your insight!

    All the best to the next one:)

  • Contractor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    @Jon Huber You finally landed that triplex you have talked about last meeting! Congratulations! Now your eyes would go bigger and bigger again as you chase those other properties that the owner has, and hopefully, no more realtors! Cheers!

  • Investor · Pinson, AL · Member since 2015 · 39 posts · 6 votes
    11y

    Congratulations! Sounds like great negotiation skills and an excellent strategy falling into place. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Glendale, CA · Member since 2013 · 685 posts · 334 votes
    11y

    Congrats on the purchase!

    Any visuals?

  • Investor · Vista, CA · Member since 2015 · 163 posts · 58 votes
    11y

    Congratulations on you deal Jon. Way to persist. I'm hoping to get into multi-family in the next year or two. Closing on my second SFR next week. Hope it goes as smoothly as yours!

    Zach

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.