I bought my first Multifamily (triplex)!!

I bought my first Multifamily (triplex)!!

Jon HuberPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 713 votes

Hello BP Nation!
I am here to tell you all of my latest closing. I got my first multifamily investment! As some of you may know, last month I celebrated being a bicoastal investor when I settled on a single family property in South Florida. While I was there for closing, I decided to make the most of my time, and look at other properties. I found a triplex in the area I wanted near Palm Beach Gardens, FL, but it was slightly overpriced. I called the realtor, and they didn't pick up (THINGS TO REMEMBER #1: If you are a realtor, and you want a sale, ALWAYS pick up your phone). With no answer, I decided to drive by to see the neighborhood. There was a FSBO sign with a different number than the realtor, so I called, and it was the seller. The seller had an exclusive agreement that if the realtor found the buyer, it was 3%, and if the seller found the buyer it was a 2% commission. Upon my walk through, there were things to take notice, but overall in good condition, just a bit overpriced. I pulled out my trusted Buy and Hold spreadsheet, using the same calculations as the BP Calc page (thanks guys!)... and begin to show them why they haven't had the activity that they had hoped. (THINGS TO REMEMBER #2: Always know your numbers to determine if the deal is good). Seeing the lack of cash flow, they agreed to negtiate. (THINGS TO REMEMBER #3: Had the realtor picked up, NO WAY I'd be able to negotiate directly with the seller). I ran through my numbers and came to a great number to begin negotiations (THINGS TO REMEMBER #4: If your initial offer doesn't make you cringe, you're offering to high... stolen from many BP posts. Not mine originally). I came in low, they told me their bottom. They were far apart, we split the difference. We had closing on Friday, so it is officially mine.

  Overall, I got the property for less than 80% of asking price. Also, it should be noted that the rents are way below market value (about 80% of market value). The seller's logic behind this was that it was easier to find tenants and to keep long term tenants by keeping the rents low. (THINGS TO REMEMBER #5: Under market rents, where there is no rent control, is an advantage to the buyer). The value of the property was shown by how much income was coming in. When I can show the sellers that the property isn't worth what they think it is using this valuation, it opened the door for easier negotiating. Overall, with the rents far below market, I am still cash flowing $430+ a month (5% vacancy, 5% maintenace/repair, 5% capex, 10% prop mgmt). Bringing the rents to 90% of market will cash flow $655+, and 100% market value would be $880. Being that I would like to keep the tenants, I would never make the dramatic jump to market value, but I plan to get there incrementally (perhaps over two years). I'll keep everyone updated on the progress. I couldn't have done it without the help of BP Nation! Thank you all so much!

12Reply
142 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Temple City, CA · Member since 2015 · 11 posts · 3 votes
11y

Congrats Jon

See this reply in the discussion

47 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Roy N.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y

    @Jon Huber

    Well done.  Since it is a residential property the realtor would have (should have) set the listing price based on comparable sales - which are often way out in front of a properties performance.  This is why I prefer larger properties which are valued more like a business.

    Now, if you take that same strategy and find yourself a 16 - 24 unit building, you might be grinning till Thanksgiving.

  • Property Manager · Redondo Beach, CA · Member since 2014 · 45 posts · 6 votes
    11y

    Very informative post and congratulations!

  • Jon HuberPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 713 votes
    11y

    @Roy N. That would be the next natural step to take... I'm already planning my next move.

  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2014 · 259 posts · 55 votes
    11y

    Glad that you close escrow and everything go as planed.

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2014 · 352 posts · 142 votes
    11y

    @Jon Huber Congratulations pal!

  • Kenneth HynesPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Easton, PA · Member since 2013 · 357 posts · 92 votes
    11y

    Congrats @Jon Huber

     Question -  how did you determine that rents were below market seeing that you were out of the area ?  Rentometer ?  craigslist ?   other realtor offerings ?  and if you ntend to keep existing tenants , what is your strategy to get them to markets rates ?  there have been a couple of posts about this on BP already, just curious about your strategy . 

    I have several SFR and lookng for my first MFR and looking at FLA market. Those are some of the questions i am researching when I am looking a properties

    ken

  • Investor · Sherman Oaks, CA · Member since 2015 · 7 posts · 0 votes
    11y

    @Jon Huber Excellent post! As a newbie investor looking to invest out of state I get excited when I hear about people finding these types of opportunities. The 5 points you made really speak to how important it is to be professional (run your business like a business) and make educated decisions. And I really admire how you used your knowledge and experience to gain leverage in your negotiations. Awesome job! 

    Btw, how can I get connected with your  LA Meetup group? 

  • Torrance, CA · Member since 2015 · 54 posts · 8 votes
    11y

    Congrats on closing on your first triplex!

  • Jon HuberPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 713 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Kenneth Hynes:

    Congrats @Jon Huber

     Question -  how did you determine that rents were below market seeing that you were out of the area ?  Rentometer ?  craigslist ?   other realtor offerings ?  and if you ntend to keep existing tenants , what is your strategy to get them to markets rates ?  there have been a couple of posts about this on BP already, just curious about your strategy . 

    I have several SFR and lookng for my first MFR and looking at FLA market. Those are some of the questions i am researching when I am looking a properties

    ken

     Kenneth, I determine the rent rates by working with my realtor. Luckily, my realtor is the in-house realtor for my property management company, so it was a pretty seamless process. As far as keeping my tenants, and the rents up to market... I would have to determine that on a tenant by tenant basis. If it is a great tenant, I may keep the rent as is... however, if it is a troublesome tenant, I would follow the market rates. I wouldn't do this in a multifamily, in the off chance they may discuss it.

  • Jon HuberPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 713 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Angelo Walker:

    @Jon Huber Excellent post!

    Btw, how can I get connected with your  LA Meetup group? 

     Angelo, thanks for the comments. As for the LA meetup, I am no longer running it, as I have moved to South Florida. You should link up with @Kyle Atans who has taken over for me. Best of luck to you.

  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2013 · 185 posts · 97 votes
    11y

    Congrats. Nice deal and well-handled. I'm looking forward to my first multi also, but keep having to walk on deals due to surprise rehab needs - old housing stock in Philadelphia and limited multis on the market.

  • Investor · Little Rock, AR · Member since 2015 · 130 posts · 119 votes
    11y

    Congrats!

    How did you fund the purchase? Are you going with a bank or find a private lender? If you're willing to share we'd be interested in knowing you terms and how you went about funding the deal. 

    When you find your next MFR that's over 4 units it's important to understand the terms of commercial loans are quite a bit different. So the same funding strategy you used here may not work for a MFR with over 4 units.

    I'm am currently in the throws of a deal trying to understand the finer details of commercial loans for the first time.

    Great job. Best wishes on continued cash flow!

  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2014 · 259 posts · 55 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Angelo Walker:

    @Jon Huber Excellent post! As a newbie investor looking to invest out of state I get excited when I hear about people finding these types of opportunities. The 5 points you made really speak to how important it is to be professional (run your business like a business) and make educated decisions. And I really admire how you used your knowledge and experience to gain leverage in your negotiations. Awesome job! 

    Btw, how can I get connected with your  LA Meetup group? 

     Hello @Angelo Walker,

    I will keep you posted on our next meetup. 

    Best,

    Kyle

  • Investor · Sherman Oaks, CA · Member since 2015 · 7 posts · 0 votes
    11y

    @jonhuber Thx! And good luck in Florida. 

    @KyleAtans Looking forward to the next meeting. 

  • Rental Property Investor · NV · Member since 2014 · 241 posts · 85 votes
    11y

    CONGRATS! Sounds like a great opportunity. 

  • Jon HuberPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 713 votes
    11y

    @Garrett Diegel Thanks for the comment! It's my favorite deal to date...

  • Investor · Little Rock, AR · Member since 2013 · 50 posts · 40 votes
    11y

    Congratulations on your deal!  

  • Jon HuberPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 713 votes
    11y

    Thanks @Matt Looney!

  • Investor · Cedar Bluff, AL · Member since 2015 · 83 posts · 17 votes
    11y

    Congrats on the purchase!

  • FL · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 357 votes
    11y

    @Angelo Walker,

    To Make the @ work do the following:

    Hold down the shift key and type the following: @?

    Look below this Window, and you will see a list of list of names of people who have posted in this thread.

    Click on the name of the person that you want notified via an email that you responded to them.

    If you are a Colleague with anyone that has not posted in this thread, and you want them to see your post, hold down the shift key, and type the @ and the first 4 letters of the first or last name.

    Look below this Window, and click on your Colleague's name.

    They will be notified via an email about your post in this thread.

    Raymond

  • Investor · Sherman Oaks, CA · Member since 2015 · 7 posts · 0 votes
    11y

    @Raymond B. Oh wow, thanks for helping me with that! I couldn't figure out why I was having trouble with that but I think I've got it now. You're awesome!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.