Real Estate Coach · Reno NV · Member since 2015 · 273 posts · 61 votes
I am trying to research more about investing in Indianapolis. On home facts it says that Indianapolis has a high crime rate. should I stay out of that area and find something on the outskirts? Could any investors in the area share their experiences?
Investor · Carmel, IN · Member since 2014 · 332 posts · 245 votes
11y
@jasmine calio @David Y.
Posts like this are always humorous because you have to put all data information into proper context.
Note: I am not trying to convince you whether Indianapolis is good or bad or to sell you anything - you can make up your own mind, but consider the following facts.
Consider that the Indianapolis MSA (metropolitan statistical area) is, in terms of size/area, approximately 5 times greater than the entire Island of Oahu!
In terms of population, the Indianapolis MSA is approximately 2x greater than the Honolulu MSA.
Now, if someone asked you about the crime rate on the entire island of Oahu, how would/could you answer? What would you include in your answer in terms of determining if it was high/moderate or low crime - Kahala or Waimanalo, Kapolei or Chinatown, Waikiki/Diamond Head or Mililani?
In terms of David's comments, Sugar Land is part of the greater Houston area. Last year, I spent time looking at investment properties in Missouri City (which is very close to Sugar Land), and I think Houston is a great market for investing. If someone sent you the following story about Houston crime, would you say that you shouldn't invest in Houston?
Houston Homicides Up 59% in the 1st Quarter of 2015
Once again, I am not trying to convince you that Indianapolis is a good or bad market! I am just pointing out that you need to put the information into proper context.
Investor · Saint Joseph, MI · Member since 2015 · 93 posts · 50 votes
9y
@Richard Anderson yes primarily on the East side, I also have west side properties, in any case, Property Management is absolutely key to this working for you, I think you're hearing the rumblings about duplexes not working in Indy because their PM is not so great.
Professional · Batavia, IL · Member since 2016 · 104 posts · 39 votes
9y
@jack Gibson we will definitely be searching for property management when we start to invest. We're also beginning to consider Milwaukee. It seems similar to Indy, but even lower prices.
Investor · Saint Joseph, MI · Member since 2015 · 93 posts · 50 votes
9y
sure thing @Gabe G., but they only do PM for those that invest with them - their PM is in place simply to make sure their investors have a passive, hassle free experience. PM doesn't produce any profit for them so they don't take on outside investors.
Real Estate Investor · Des Moines, IA · Member since 2017 · 41 posts · 14 votes
9y
Any good suburbs to buy newer single family homes for rentals around Indianapolis? I have interest in decent neighborhood with good schools and hopefully get a nice long term home or two to buy. Any recommendations on property managers who specialize in the newer neighborhoods?
Being a local Indy investor/flipper/wholesaler...I'd be happy to provide you my opinions of the good rental markets here in Indianapolis. Beware those who see "California" next to your name...they will try to take advantage of you! Indy is a great place to blossom a great income-producing portfolio, just surround yourself with the right people.
Feel free to PM me and we can chat. Happy investing!
Specialist · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2016 · 841 posts · 480 votes
9y
I am in Indianapolis. I am in project management and work a lot with remote flippers, so I get those questions about crime and the best areas. Right now Indianapolis is a great market. I know it's good because the same investors are completing projects with me and then looking for properties to start new ones. This is happening over and over again. Most of the crime is happening on the near East side of Indianapolis, with some on the near West side and an area just North of downtown. They are fairly confined areas. I don't think locals would characterize it as a dangerous place to invest or live. The market is popping, wholesalers generally are having great deals. The contractors I know are very good and it seems rehabbed properties are selling quickly.