Online Real Estate Auctions For Investors

Online Real Estate Auctions For Investors

Wholesaler · Miami Beach, FL · Member since 2010 · 112 posts · 58 votes

Buying real estate at auction is nothing new. But seeing a 309,734-square-foot office complex in Manhattan Beach, California sell for $96.1 million on Auction.com is definitely a new experience. So far, it’s a record. But I’d be willing to bet it won’t hold the record for long.


Local multiple listing services and individual real estate firms have listed and sold properties online for decades. And craigslist has long been a viable alternative for owners of homes and business buildings who choose to sell by owner, as well as additional marketing tool for licensed agents.


But now there are plenty of other platforms where real buyers can show up and bid on property instead of simply discovering data and then sending an email or text to connect with the agent or the seller.


I’m not talking about only repossessed or distressed propertieshere, either. Many listings are high-class commercial buildings and lovely, livable homes. Owners have made a financial decision to put their real property up for auction online because it serves their needs better than listing with a local agent.


Hubzu.com is one example of an online real estate website where sellers can list their homes (residential listings only) located in Florida, Texas, California, Georgia and Illinois. Online real estate auctions are not legal in all states. On Hubzuyou see the current bid, updated every half hour or so, as well as the date and time the bidding will close.


************** sells homes and land online, along with tax lien certificates and jewelry. No, it’s not an online pawn shop but, to me, it has the same look and feel.


If you like that pawn shop environment, don’t miss out on the fun to be had at USA.gov, which is where United States government agencies liquidate real estate and also other assets that have come under government ownership, such as airplanes, jewelry, art, vehicles, antiques and computers. In case you’re wondering why this government website also sounds like another online pawn shop, here’s their explanation:

“Government agencies have these items for sale for several reasons. Some law enforcement agencies sell the seized or forfeited property of criminals. Other agencies sell items that were forfeited because of nonpayment of federal income taxes. Finally, some of the items are available because an agency surplused them and no longer needs them.”
But back to regular real estate for sale at auction… A quick look at Auction.com today reveals just under 250 homes, condos, multi-families and lots up for auction now and in the near future, all of which are not bank-owned or in foreclosure. But that selection pales in comparison to the nearly 25,000foreclosures up for sale at auction in ten states, California, Florida, New Jersey, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Georgia, Illinois, Ohio, Arizona and Washington.


It’s like Ebay for real estate investors… but it’s all real estate, all the time.

2Reply
89 views

Most Popular Reply

Darren SagerPro Member
Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
11y

The issues I have with all the auction websites is that you might win the auction and not get the property that you won.  From what I understand they do this a lot.  One must read the fine print about how they operate.   They have a right to negotiate the price with the winner of the auction in most cases.

See this reply in the discussion

13 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Darren SagerPro Member
    Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    The issues I have with all the auction websites is that you might win the auction and not get the property that you won.  From what I understand they do this a lot.  One must read the fine print about how they operate.   They have a right to negotiate the price with the winner of the auction in most cases.

  • BUFFALO GROVE, IL · Member since 2015 · 17 posts · 2 votes
    11y

    I've been interested in buying from an auction, going to watch this thread

  • Investor · New York City, NY · Member since 2015 · 808 posts · 417 votes
    11y

    @Darren Sager is correct. In some cases the bank will also be allowed to bid against you which can obviously be problem. There are also reserves and many different terms depending on the site and on the property. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Circleville, OH · Member since 2008 · 633 posts · 488 votes
    11y

    Auctions can be goldmines or they can be easy ways to increase your blood pressure. 

    I've seen many buyers 'win' a property only to find out that the bank's real reserve which was hidden in the terms was higher than their winning bid. Most REO type auctions require seller confirmation which most of the time means a hidden reserve is waiting there.

    Last one i bought I picked up for a song, but it took them 21 days or so to let me know that I did win it. Up until that time I wasn't sure and still had to budget that money for the property and not look at others.

  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2013 · 348 posts · 111 votes
    11y

    auction.com still uses realtors, btw.

  • Darren SagerPro Member
    Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    @Charles Worth some of the banks own the auction sites directly or as part of a group from what I understand.  Here in NJ, there have been (from what I understand from talking to other realtors) numerous times where short sales have come onto the market, and the buyer and seller agree, then the bank kills the deal and forces it into their auction site so that they can give themselves a 5% premium on the back end since they own that site.   It's happened to me directly with a client on a short sale in Montclair, NJ.   The bank had even already given the okay to make the deal at the agreed upon price.  They still killed the deal and sent it to auction.  Crazy, and yes Charles sad they bid the prices up themselves.  I don't know how many people would trust bidding on Ebay if Ebay forced prices higher the way the banks are doing on the real estate auction sites.  I understand if there's a reserve number, but the other things they're doing are unconscionable in my personal opinion.  

  • Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    11y

    Great information!  I'm in the process of closing on a deal I won on Auction.com.   It's in NJ and I got the property for a great price.   So far the people I've worked with affiliated with the site have been pretty good.   No surprises yet.  I'll update this if something changes.   

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 2 posts · 2 votes
    11y

    I recently purchased a house from HUBZU, i bid on the same house 3 times, First 2 times I won the bid, but receive no notifications, within 3 days i checked the site and the house had been re-auctioned/relisted.  I suppose i didn't meet their reserve.  The third time I lost but was asked if i wanted to be backup bidder...i said 'sure', what the heck.  Within a week they emailed me and asked if I still wanted the house, I said 'yes, i'll take it'.   After i signed the purchase agreement, it was like pulling-teeth trying to get confirmations from them, or any type of communication.  My agent was no help, yes you need an agent.  I called every number on Purchase Agreement to get answers, sometimes i got lucky and got a live person, but most times not.  They choose the title company or you can use your own but you have to pay for all closing costs.  The Title company never responded to my phones calls, voicemails nor emails...in the end, the only way to get things moving is by contacting the sellers agent.  Ii did close in about 25 days, had i left it to my agent i couldve easily been 60 days.  Long story short, would i buy from them again...probably, because some homes are good deals and I've learned how to deal with them...but they are a headache to work with.

  • Investor · Dillsburg, PA · Member since 2013 · 40 posts · 17 votes
    10y

    My experience with HUBZU was similar to @Rose Hutchinson, except I gave up after the second round of bidding. Property wasn't worth it in my mind, and I decided in principle, it's not worth my time even looking at properties going to auction. But I buy all local, buy and hold, and only a couple a year, so I'm finding 90% of my deals via MLS. That's what's working for me.

  • Title Abstractor · Wimauma, FL · Member since 2015 · 4 posts · 2 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Ian Coburn:

    Great information!  I'm in the process of closing on a deal I won on Auction.com.   It's in NJ and I got the property for a great price.   So far the people I've worked with affiliated with the site have been pretty good.   No surprises yet.  I'll update this if something changes.   

    Please keep us updated on your deal. I just recently found auction.com and I'm curious how this process works.

  • Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    Here's an update on my previous post about Auction.com.   So today after waiting about 6-7 weeks for the deal to close I got an email telling me the seller (Wells Fargo) is cancelling the deal.   Apparently there are some title issues (still trying to figure out what) and since I requested/paid for a Warranty Deed they aren't willing to go through with the process.   Even though this is a hassle, most of the people have been professional and easy to work with.  I have to think this type of thing happens all the time and buying anything on an auction site can tie up your money for a while.   The other issue is that they don't allow any changes to the purchase contract...it's their way of the highway so you basically have no rights in the transaction.   I'll probably consider doing another deal with them but only as a secondary focus.

  • Real Estate Broker · Des Moines, IA · Member since 2013 · 30 posts · 12 votes
    10y

    I had a poor experience w/ Hubzu prior and now run from it whenever possible. The fees charged can add up quickly - Technology Fee, Buyer's Premium, and EMD. However, IMO the worst part was the customer service - quite difficult to work with. I've heard somewhat better feedback from buyers reg homesearch.com, but the opposite from RE agents.

  • Investor · Boulder, CO · Member since 2015 · 137 posts · 36 votes
    10y

    Not sure why the original long post on this topic...

    If bidding understand the type of auction to keep your expectations and stress in place. Absolute (highest bidder wins), minimum bid (advertised minimum), lender confirm (lender will choose winning bid) same as hidden reserve (think short sale). 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.