Update on me and my flips including a $500k + purchase

Update on me and my flips including a $500k + purchase

Flipper/Rehabber · Greeley, CO · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes

Hey everyone, I have been busy this year and have not had a lot of time to post on here. I thought I would post a quick update on what I am doing. 

1. I am up to 16 rentals. I bought five more in 2015 and plan to buy 12 in 2016. We will see how that goes in the Colorado market. I am thinking of expanding to another state. I am thinking about doing a bulk refi on 8 of my current rentals. 

2. I have 11 flips going right now. I just bought a $500k + flip last week with an ARV of $840k, but it has some occupancy issues I have to deal with. We will see how that goes!

3. I hired a project manager for my flips and rental rehabs. It takes a load of my plate as far as dealing with contractors, but it added a babysitting job getting him up to speed on what I want. 

4. My blog is doing awesome and continues to grow.

5. I still have the Lambo and it has been awesome. I have owned it 18 months or so and it worth about 75% more than I bought it for. 

I have all my goals set for 2016 and I am looking forward to an awesome year. 

17Reply
86 views

Most Popular Reply

Jerry W.Pro Member
Moderator
Investor · Thermopolis, WY · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
10y

@Mark Ferguson, it is great to see you posting again.  I added 7 houses last year on my quest to hit 50 houses, but only one house this year.  Our market is getting hit hard due to falling oil prices.  I think your emphasis on flipping and of course your great real estate office are the way to go.  Get cash flowing rentals when you can.  I expect my market will continue to drop for the next couple of years.  I sold one small tri-plex this year that was way more work than it was worth.  My goal this year was to catch up on maintenance I had fallen behind on so I had as few expenses as possible in the next few years.  I may be preaching gloom and doom but I see most of Wyoming being hit hard the next 2 to 5 years.  Cheyenne might be ok as it has very little dependence on oil prices, but there may be some government layoffs.  Casper and Douglas may have some opportunities in 2 to 5 years if things continue the way they are going now.  I have done some out of state investing, but it is always harder than it looks.  I will look up your blog as I have not read it for awhile and have always enjoyed it.  It was something like investfourmore?  Anyway congratulations and someday we will be able to connect when I come through.  Keep up the good work.

See this reply in the discussion

65 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Southington, CT · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y

    @Mark Ferguson how are you financing the rehabs on the front end? Cash? HML? Private money? Bank line of credit?

  • Carmel, CA · Member since 2015 · 47 posts · 15 votes
    10y

    Wow!  Impressive and motivating. Much continued success, health and happiness in the coming year!!

  • Appraisal Trainee · Olympia, WA · Member since 2014 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    Hi Mark,

    Could you explain "bulk refi"?

  • Tampa, FL · Member since 2015 · 145 posts · 47 votes
    10y

    @Mark Ferguson Congrats!! Having people like you post here of their success if very motivating and inspirational. I am just starting out and have just purchased my first SFH, which closed yesterday and at present am working on a second SFH. Thank you for putting your information out there to show us that if you put your mind in anything you want it can be achieved and you are living proof. Thank you

    p.s. Nice Lambo by the way, I too would like one in the future! Nice Job!

    Miguel

  • Virtual Assistant · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2015 · 16 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    This was really inspiring, Congratulations!

    *gets back to work to be one of the next persons writing a success story like Mark next year*

    Thanks Mark, 

    D. Edwards

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Greeley, CO · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Michael Noto:

    @Mark Ferguson how are you financing the rehabs on the front end? Cash? HML? Private money? Bank line of credit?

     A mix of bank portfolio loans, private money and lines of credit. 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Greeley, CO · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Mellisa Otwell:

    Hi Mark,

    Could you explain "bulk refi"?

     Refinancing 8 of my properties at once either with one loan or multiple loans. 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Greeley, CO · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Miguel Dormany:

    @Mark Ferguson Congrats!! Having people like you post here of their success if very motivating and inspirational. I am just starting out and have just purchased my first SFH, which closed yesterday and at present am working on a second SFH. Thank you for putting your information out there to show us that if you put your mind in anything you want it can be achieved and you are living proof. Thank you

    p.s. Nice Lambo by the way, I too would like one in the future! Nice Job!

    Miguel

     Thank you! 

    The awesome part about some cars is they will go up in value just like real estate. 

  • Columbus, OH · Member since 2015 · 210 posts · 80 votes
    10y

    Wow, awesome year! Congrats! This is the year that I decided to take actions. Just bought my first rental duplex, a lot of rehab work! Any advice for newbie like me? :)

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Greeley, CO · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Jessie Niu:

    Wow, awesome year! Congrats! This is the year that I decided to take actions. Just bought my first rental duplex, a lot of rehab work! Any advice for newbie like me? :)

     Keep learning as much as you can! Nice work buying a place. I am very available to talk to on my blog or on here if you want to message me. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Nashville TN · Member since 2014 · 56 posts · 30 votes
    10y

    Fantastic work Mark!  So, how are you funding all of these properties?  Also, how do you handle all the reserve requirements for those properties when getting funding?

    Great job!

    Dustin

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Greeley, CO · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Dustin Heiner:

    Fantastic work Mark!  So, how are you funding all of these properties?  Also, how do you handle all the reserve requirements for those properties when getting funding?

    Great job!

    Dustin

     I use a local portfolio lender right now, but they are getting ancy since I have 2.5 million in loans with them including the flips. They are slowing down on the lending and that is why I am thinking of refinancing many of them with another source. 

  • La Mesa, CA · Member since 2015 · 12 posts · 13 votes
    10y

    @Mark Ferguson sounds like a good year! For 2015 I am up 8 rentals and have 13 more in the hopper, not looking like they will close this month, so I may have to chock them up to 2016.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Greeley, CO · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Leo Hefner:

    @Mark Ferguson sounds like a good year! For 2015 I am up 8 rentals and have 13 more in the hopper, not looking like they will close this month, so I may have to chock them up to 2016.

     Nice work! Where are they located?

  • Anson YoungBusiness Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Denver, CO · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 726 votes
    10y

    Good work sir!  I'm with you on the projection for colorado prices, they wont go down for a long time.

    I'll be looking out of state soon for rentals as well, I totally am with you on that front.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Greeley, CO · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Anson Young:

    Good work sir!  I'm with you on the projection for colorado prices, they wont go down for a long time.

    I'll be looking out of state soon for rentals as well, I totally am with you on that front.

     Hey Anson! Hope things are going well.  

    I am really intrigued by Florida, but I see a lot of opportunity out there outside CO

  • La Mesa, CA · Member since 2015 · 12 posts · 13 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Mark Ferguson:
    Originally posted by @Leo Hefner:

    @Mark Ferguson sounds like a good year! For 2015 I am up 8 rentals and have 13 more in the hopper, not looking like they will close this month, so I may have to chock them up to 2016.

     Nice work! Where are they located?

    All of them in Indiana. I had the pleasure of meeting a local banks REO manager and Risk Mitigation manager on a recent flight and I am now helping them take some weight off their books. Right place at the right time!!

  • Littleton, CO · Member since 2015 · 59 posts · 14 votes
    10y

    @Mark Ferguson

    Where do u see the Denver market going in 2016?  I know you are not in the midst of it but curious.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Greeley, CO · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Luke F.:

    @Mark Ferguson

    Where do u see the Denver market going in 2016?  I know you are not in the midst of it but curious.

     I think it will continue to be strong. I can't day if it will keep rising like it has.

  • Anson YoungBusiness Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Denver, CO · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 726 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Leo Hefner:
    Originally posted by @Mark Ferguson:
    Originally posted by @Leo Hefner:

    @Mark Ferguson sounds like a good year! For 2015 I am up 8 rentals and have 13 more in the hopper, not looking like they will close this month, so I may have to chock them up to 2016.

     Nice work! Where are they located?

    All of them in Indiana. I had the pleasure of meeting a local banks REO manager and Risk Mitigation manager on a recent flight and I am now helping them take some weight off their books. Right place at the right time!!

     That is quite lucky for sure!  

  • Investor · Frankfort, IL · Member since 2015 · 206 posts · 55 votes
    10y

    big time congrats

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Greeley, CO · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Nick Versetto:

    big time congrats

     Thanks Nick!

  • Investor · Wilmington, DE · Member since 2015 · 55 posts · 19 votes
    10y

    Hello all! I'm new to this but it's great to see someone who is successful. Surrounding oneself with success is one of the best ways to be successful and I hope I can absorb as much experience and positivity here as possible. 

    Thanks for being bold and for chasing your dreams, Mark. Your example is a great influence to others and helps us believe in ourselves because someone else is doing what we want to do. 

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 189 posts · 47 votes
    10y

    Go Mark Go!! Congrats!!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Greeley, CO · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Ben Wendt:

    Hello all! I'm new to this but it's great to see someone who is successful. Surrounding oneself with success is one of the best ways to be successful and I hope I can absorb as much experience and positivity here as possible. 

    Thanks for being bold and for chasing your dreams, Mark. Your example is a great influence to others and helps us believe in ourselves because someone else is doing what we want to do. 

     Your right. I try to surround myself with more successful people than me. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.