22 Years Old with 20 Units in 10 Months!

22 Years Old with 20 Units in 10 Months!

Rental Property Investor · Michigan City, IN · Member since 2015 · 530 posts · 741 votes

10 months ago I was driving up and down every road in this new town of Iron Mountain MI trying to get a feel for the quality of the neighborhoods and characteristics of the market. I still had a few weeks of college left but was likely going to be starting a job in the town after graduation. Having already understood that multi family properties was where I wanted to focus my attention I wanted to take a look at every apartment complex or 4+ unit structure I could find. Knowing I could only afford 4 units as my first purchase I passed by a large complex on a small lake in the center of town and said to my mother who was in the car with me… “Wow, that would be amazing to own!” Given the size of the building, location, and fact that the numbers on the carports went up to 16 I shrugged it off knowing there was no way I could ever afford something like that in the near future.

The day before graduation I received my job offer, and 2 days after graduation I submitted an offer on a 4 unit building in the hopes of living in one unit while renting out the others. I wanted to renovate the units with the idea that within 6 months I could be living rent free with my tenants paying all my bills. After negotiations and inspections I closed on my first deal in June 2015, began my job, and began renovations. 5 months later I had the first major renovations completed and got the building full to achieve my goal of living rent free before the new year.

In October 2015, during the renovations of my last vacant unit my carpet installer gave me a tip on a 16 unit building. So being young and ambitious I figured, “what the hell, why not call and see what the deal looks like.” Well, it ended up being Crystal Lake, that 16 unit that caught my eye on my first property hunt through the town.

After analyzing the numbers, viewing a few units in the property, trying to find investors interested in a partnership and exhausting my network I had to make a phone call and acknowledge my inability to move forward on the deal(I was 100% honest the entire time about my situation). I explained that while I clearly like the deal, unless the owners could provide some sort of owner financing (in the very first conversation the owners were clear about not wanting to do any owner financing) then I couldn't likely make an offer as I didn't have the financing to back it up.

Long story short, the owners came back with an owner financing option, we negotiated and had a signed purchase agreement by the end of January 2016. After getting multiple banks to negotiate on the financing I was able to secure a commercial loan in 1st position with the owner financing in second position all under very favorable terms. I walked into closing today and was only required to put $11,950 down on the building.

If anyone is interested in learning more about my financing structure, negotiation, or cash flow analysis please PM me!

Needless to say, the past 10 months have been very exciting for me. I am 22 years old and now own 20 units. The goal is to hit 150 units by age 30! But why not try to hit that by age 26?

I have to give a big shout out to the BP community for the advice, encouragement, and cautions as I have sought out help through this process. I really cannot imagine I would be where I am today without the BP community to lean on when things have gotten challenging.

For all the newbies, I was one just 10 months ago. Don’t think because you don’t have lots of money or experience you cant make it happen. It took me just $17k in total investment of my own money to secure these 20 units which rent for an average of $600 each (most of the utilities are sub metered too!). Figure out what peoples problems are and try to find the most advantageous way to solve those problems for all parties. It’s a relationship and problem solving game. Do that better then anyone else who is competing for a particular deal and you can surely see substantial success in a short period of time! 

201Reply
2,603 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Weston, WI · Member since 2016 · 105 posts · 114 votes
10y

I  would love to see the cash flow analysis, and I bet others would to. Can you just post it here for everyone to see?

Congrats man, you are killing it!

See this reply in the discussion

393 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Los angeles, CA · Member since 2016 · 10 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    Fantastic post! Very motivating, thank you for sharing.

  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2015 · 22 posts · 5 votes
    10y

    Wow, that is a fantastic story.  Thanks for sharing and big congrats!  

  • Charlotte, NC · Member since 2014 · 7 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    Would love to hear the details of this deal.

    shoot me a message if possible

  • Coraopolis, PA · Member since 2015 · 9 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    Congratulations! It sounds awesome!

  • Baltimore, MD · Member since 2015 · 33 posts · 10 votes
    10y

    Congratulations!!! 

  • Pleasant Grove, AL · Member since 2009 · 5 posts · 2 votes
    10y

    Congratulations!!! 

  • Virtual Assistant · Keizer, OR · Member since 2015 · 16 posts · 6 votes
    10y

    Great story, makes it tough to sleep at night.  Congratulations!

  • Cathy HallPro Member
    Investor · St. Louis, MO · Member since 2015 · 8 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    Way to go Joel!  Why not me?  Love it!

  • Ramon HuertaPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Kalamazoo, MI · Member since 2016 · 223 posts · 26 votes
    10y
    Congratulation
  • Rental Property Investor · Michigan City, IN · Member since 2015 · 530 posts · 741 votes
    10y

    @Ramon Huerta@Cathy Hall @Mike Carpenter @Talana Brown @Shavonn Jordan @Raphaele Borie @Tracey Hill @Viv James Thanks all for reaching out, I appreciate the kind words! This kind of reaction helps to keep me motivated to take my business to a whole new level! Im excited to show off my Podio once I get this thing all squared. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 43 posts · 8 votes
    10y

    Two thumbs up buddy. How or who is managing those units?

  • Boston, MA · Member since 2016 · 22 posts · 5 votes
    10y

    Congrats Joel, and great story! Cheers - Eric

  • Real Estate Agent · Tempe, AZ · Member since 2016 · 19 posts · 5 votes
    10y
    All I can say is wow! I'm 24 and have very similar vision for my future. Thanks for sharing and inspiring me to want to just go for it. Any advice you can give is great.
  • Auburn, GA · Member since 2015 · 58 posts · 11 votes
    10y

    @Joel Great job buddy!!!!! Weekday is your business plan for the building if you have one? :-)

  • Professional · Mukilteo, WA · Member since 2016 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    10y
    Joel Florek thank you for answering my post. Can I ask what are your incentives?
  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2015 · 22 posts · 5 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Joel Florek:

    @Ramon Huerta@Cathy Hall @Mike Carpenter @Talana Brown @Shavonn Jordan @Raphaele Borie @Tracey Hill @Viv James Thanks all for reaching out, I appreciate the kind words! This kind of reaction helps to keep me motivated to take my business to a whole new level! Im excited to show off my Podio once I get this thing all squared. 

     Who's managing your properties? 

  • Rental Property Investor · Michigan City, IN · Member since 2015 · 530 posts · 741 votes
    10y

    @Jeff Chapz @Tracey Hill I am managing the property. There is a maintenance manager on site so I am acting as the leasing agent. Likely only 4 to 6 people moving out each year as most are long term tenants. But I am using Podio to automate my workflows create leases in less then a minute, have applications and inquiries on my website flow right into my Podio database. Little bit of a learning curve to figure out how to set it up but there are so many people using it that youtube has become my best friend. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Michigan City, IN · Member since 2015 · 530 posts · 741 votes
    10y

    @Haylee Bellamy If your referring to my comment on aligning incentives there is a few things. Lets look at traditional property management structure. They get 10% of income regardless of the occupancy rates. From there you might see a filling fee one months rent and most maintenance, even if its a lightbulb(might be extreme but I have heard crazier things) getting changed often gets passed onto a sub. 

    As a landlord I want long term tenants who will treat the property well and pay their bills on time. I will want to be responsive to their needs but conscious of not spending top dollar for every little fix. 

    To do this we will provide a commission to the leasing agent based on the occupancy of the property and whether people pay on time. That being said, if they achieve 100% occupancy I dont mind paying 10%. If they achieve 95% occupancy I might only pay 6%. If they achieve 90% occupancy they might get 5%. If they are below 80% occupancy then they may only receive 3%. This way the commission is heavily skewed to reaching 100% occupancy effectively taking my planned vacancy percentage and giving 80% of it to the leasing agent for doing a good job. So in the end I pay very little for property management when I am hitting my planned vacancy each percentage better most gets paid back to my team as a bonus for beating the plan. 

    Same thing can be said for the maintenance manager and working within the maintenance budgets. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Michigan City, IN · Member since 2015 · 530 posts · 741 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Maurice Graham:

    @Joel Great job buddy!!!!! Weekday is your business plan for the building if you have one? :-)

     Not sure I am following your question here. Feel free to reach out and I will do my best to help! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Michigan City, IN · Member since 2015 · 530 posts · 741 votes
    10y

    I started with a 4 unit. Go do something which you can support with your day job first, then grow your business when you are confident you have systems or know what systems will need to be put in place to manage appropriately. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Michigan City, IN · Member since 2015 · 530 posts · 741 votes
    10y

    @Jason Roetter Forgot to tag you. 

    I started with a 4 unit. Go do something which you can support with your day job first if all else fails, then grow your business when you are confident you have systems or know what systems will need to be put in place to manage appropriately and scale as you find the deals that fit your long term strategy. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Michigan City, IN · Member since 2015 · 530 posts · 741 votes
    10y

    @Account Closed Thanks my friend! Love Boston by the way, just cant figure how I am supposed to get from point A to point B in any sort of logical fashion... 

  • Boston, MA · Member since 2016 · 22 posts · 5 votes
    10y

    Very welcome! Yes, its a great city, but it leaves me feeling a little "navigationally challenged" at times too. If your ever in town and want to talk RE over a coffee or a beer just drop me a line. 

  • South Bend, IN · Member since 2015 · 180 posts · 93 votes
    10y
    Joel Florek Wow this is inspiring! I am just getting into real estate with a goal of having 10 units by the end of the year. Thank you for sharing your story about succeeding in the business. Congratulations and all the best to you! Aaron
  • Rental Property Investor · Michigan City, IN · Member since 2015 · 530 posts · 741 votes
    10y

    @Aaron Linden My original goal was 20 in 3 years. I beat that very handedly. Now its 150 by age 30. Keep the end goal in mind but focus on finding your next deal. Once that closes then immediately start going after the next!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.