22 Years Old with 20 Units in 10 Months!

22 Years Old with 20 Units in 10 Months!

Rental Property Investor · Michigan City, IN · Member since 2015 · 530 posts · 741 votes

10 months ago I was driving up and down every road in this new town of Iron Mountain MI trying to get a feel for the quality of the neighborhoods and characteristics of the market. I still had a few weeks of college left but was likely going to be starting a job in the town after graduation. Having already understood that multi family properties was where I wanted to focus my attention I wanted to take a look at every apartment complex or 4+ unit structure I could find. Knowing I could only afford 4 units as my first purchase I passed by a large complex on a small lake in the center of town and said to my mother who was in the car with me… “Wow, that would be amazing to own!” Given the size of the building, location, and fact that the numbers on the carports went up to 16 I shrugged it off knowing there was no way I could ever afford something like that in the near future.

The day before graduation I received my job offer, and 2 days after graduation I submitted an offer on a 4 unit building in the hopes of living in one unit while renting out the others. I wanted to renovate the units with the idea that within 6 months I could be living rent free with my tenants paying all my bills. After negotiations and inspections I closed on my first deal in June 2015, began my job, and began renovations. 5 months later I had the first major renovations completed and got the building full to achieve my goal of living rent free before the new year.

In October 2015, during the renovations of my last vacant unit my carpet installer gave me a tip on a 16 unit building. So being young and ambitious I figured, “what the hell, why not call and see what the deal looks like.” Well, it ended up being Crystal Lake, that 16 unit that caught my eye on my first property hunt through the town.

After analyzing the numbers, viewing a few units in the property, trying to find investors interested in a partnership and exhausting my network I had to make a phone call and acknowledge my inability to move forward on the deal(I was 100% honest the entire time about my situation). I explained that while I clearly like the deal, unless the owners could provide some sort of owner financing (in the very first conversation the owners were clear about not wanting to do any owner financing) then I couldn't likely make an offer as I didn't have the financing to back it up.

Long story short, the owners came back with an owner financing option, we negotiated and had a signed purchase agreement by the end of January 2016. After getting multiple banks to negotiate on the financing I was able to secure a commercial loan in 1st position with the owner financing in second position all under very favorable terms. I walked into closing today and was only required to put $11,950 down on the building.

If anyone is interested in learning more about my financing structure, negotiation, or cash flow analysis please PM me!

Needless to say, the past 10 months have been very exciting for me. I am 22 years old and now own 20 units. The goal is to hit 150 units by age 30! But why not try to hit that by age 26?

I have to give a big shout out to the BP community for the advice, encouragement, and cautions as I have sought out help through this process. I really cannot imagine I would be where I am today without the BP community to lean on when things have gotten challenging.

For all the newbies, I was one just 10 months ago. Don’t think because you don’t have lots of money or experience you cant make it happen. It took me just $17k in total investment of my own money to secure these 20 units which rent for an average of $600 each (most of the utilities are sub metered too!). Figure out what peoples problems are and try to find the most advantageous way to solve those problems for all parties. It’s a relationship and problem solving game. Do that better then anyone else who is competing for a particular deal and you can surely see substantial success in a short period of time! 

201Reply
2,616 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Weston, WI · Member since 2016 · 105 posts · 114 votes
10y

I  would love to see the cash flow analysis, and I bet others would to. Can you just post it here for everyone to see?

Congrats man, you are killing it!

See this reply in the discussion

393 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Michigan City, IN · Member since 2015 · 530 posts · 741 votes
    10y

    @Gordon Cuffe One of my primary considerations for taking a big risk on this property was knowing that most of the tenants are long term. Many have lived in the building since it was built in 1993(when I was born). But that is a very good word of caution. I just finished up setting up my Podio to streamline my property management and make sure nothing falls through the cracks! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Michigan City, IN · Member since 2015 · 530 posts · 741 votes
    10y

    @Darron Stewart I appreciate the concern. I am diligent in being very frugal in my personal life to keep cash reserves on hand. I do not plan on pulling any money out of my business for the next year at a minimum, likely the next 3 years. That being said a time continues my cash reserves will be building. 

  • Rochester, NY · Member since 2016 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    I am new to the real estate game. I read your story and it is very motivating. It shows when you put your mind to something and believe it is possible, it will happen. 

  • R. E. Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 42 posts · 7 votes
    10y

    Great Job @Joel Florek! I have questions so I PMed you as you requested! You are definitely heading places!

  • Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2014 · 100 posts · 18 votes
    10y
    Great story thanks for sharing! There is a 12 unit near where I live! Based on the looks of the outside it may need some work! Any advice on how to move forward?
  • Investor · Burbank, CA · Member since 2011 · 15 posts · 2 votes
    10y

    What a great and very inspiring story. Congratulations!!

  • Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    Congrats! very inspiring.

  • Professional · Mukilteo, WA · Member since 2016 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    10y
    Hi I would be interested in hearing more in relation to your negotiation processes, also am interested if you are managing the buildings yourself or have property manager in place. I am just starting out with little finances to put down on properties to begin with how were you able to start?
  • Contractor/ bartender · Nevada City, CA · Member since 2015 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    Thank you for the reply Joel, sounds like you were really able to find out what was motivating them to sell and in turn motivate them to help you. Very inspiring.  Thanks again.

  • London, Kent · Member since 2015 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    Congratulations! This is a very inspiring piece. As a 20 year old, whenever I have spoken out about wanting to invest in real estate, I have been deemed "too immature" and not "ready" for this big step. It is amazing to see someone else that is aged similar to me achieving these amazing deals!

    If you could go more into how you financed it, and what quotes you got, that would be awesome.

    Thanks!

  • Rental Property Investor · Lutz, FL · Member since 2016 · 1 post · 0 votes
    10y

    Congratulations!  I would love to know about the process.  I would certainly do something like that!  Please look for a message from me.

  • Investor · Newton, MA · Member since 2016 · 85 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    Congratulations Joel ! Seems like you're well on your way.

    I'm curious to know your analysis strategies as I plan my journey.

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 30 posts · 12 votes
    10y

    Definitely a firm believer in the Law of Attraction @Victoria Kemezy

  • Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2015 · 5 posts · 6 votes
    10y

    @Joel Florek I have not read the Compound Effect but I will definitely pick it up! I always love to hear about books that truly inspire people.

  • Rental Property Investor · Michigan City, IN · Member since 2015 · 530 posts · 741 votes
    10y

    @Tarun Bhalla Feel free to PM me and I am happy to answer what I can for you!

  • Rental Property Investor · Michigan City, IN · Member since 2015 · 530 posts · 741 votes
    10y

    @Account Closed PM me with your questions and I will do my best to answer. But for the quotes the important thing is you confirm what the seller is telling you that you will pay for things. Check rates from plumbers, electricians and HVAC techs for service calls. Get you plowing rates, garbage removal, and quotes for major renovation costs like roofs, driveways, or other items that may need work in the near future. These things are often just a 10 minute phone call but they help you to put together a good plan.

  • Rental Property Investor · Michigan City, IN · Member since 2015 · 530 posts · 741 votes
    10y

    @Haylee Bellamy There is a resident manager on site that takes care of general maintenance and upkeep. I am acting as the leasing agent for the property for now. In the future I will hire that out as I grow. I don't plan to hand over my properties to a property management company ever but plan to find a team to work in my system and align our incentives to achieve the same goal.

  • Investor · Toronto, Ontario · Member since 2014 · 148 posts · 34 votes
    10y

    congrats! Best article ive read in a while!

  • Rental Property Investor · Michigan City, IN · Member since 2015 · 530 posts · 741 votes
    10y

    @Hassan Muhammad PM me so we can talk about the deal more. Would love to give you my opinion and see how I might be able to help.

  • Rental Property Investor · Michigan City, IN · Member since 2015 · 530 posts · 741 votes
    10y

    @Justin H.Thanks! It has been awesome to see the positive responses.

  • Investor · Bowie, MD · Member since 2015 · 53 posts · 16 votes
    10y

    Wow your story is truly remarkable !!! If you ever come to Washington, DC to look for properties don't hesitate to reach out.

  • Rental Property Investor · Michigan City, IN · Member since 2015 · 530 posts · 741 votes
    10y

    @Lawrence Smith Will do! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Michigan City, IN · Member since 2015 · 530 posts · 741 votes
    10y

    @Account Closed Michigan Technological University graduating with a degree in finance.

  • Novi, MI · Member since 2012 · 13 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    Joel - congrats on accomplishing so much at such a young age.  I wish I had your mindset 25 years ago.  I think what holds back a lot of people is fear.  Others it is knowledge.  If you educate yourself and make informed decisions as you are doing that should eliminate the fear.  Then you just need a little bit of courage and faith in yourself.

    Fellow Tech grad here.

  • Rental Property Investor · Michigan City, IN · Member since 2015 · 530 posts · 741 votes
    10y

    @Joe D. You are absolutely right. When you look at big deals it is definitely a bit scary. I have to thank my employer for helping build up confidence in this area. I have many bids that I am in charge of. The small $100k or less bids don't scare me much given the simplicity in the jobs. However, some of the bids that end up near $50m are very scary for me. Still, we need to put in our bid and ultimately come up with our price the same way we did for the $100k job.

    Also, the more you get to know the people who have big properties the more you realize they aren't some genious or super hero. They are average people who took action rather then staying complacent.

    I have to give MTU a lot of credit for helping me get a great financial education. There are some fantastic teachers up there and I can say I got some good value for all the dollars and years I spent up there.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.