Anyone here start with little or no money without a job?

Anyone here start with little or no money without a job?

Wholesaler · Monroe, NC · Member since 2015 · 15 posts · 6 votes

Has anyone here started completely from the bottom? meaning you had little or no cash and no job? If yes can you please share your success story? ,if not please dont be negative  by saying something like " starting without a source of income is impossible". There are many success stories like John Paul DeJoria who started a business while homeless with $700 in his pocket and now has a company worth $4+ Billion.

0Reply
30 views

Most Popular Reply

Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
10y

@Guillermo A.  yes me.. I was 18 years old and living at home when I got my  license and went to work.. I was bagging groceries to buy gas so I could be a realtor.  made my first sale about 30 days into it paid at 60 days  645.00  and never looked back. that was 42 years ago. with lots of ups and downs.

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Flipper/Rehabber · South Jordan, UT · Member since 2016 · 142 posts · 37 votes
    10y

    Good Question

    And I have to chuckle at you saying don't be negative, so far this is by far the most Positive site I've found. I can't say that I started with no money but I started with very little. If I were starting out (with little to know money) I would start by wholesaling properties. The first thing I would do is start collecting information - call the "we buy houses" signs and ask them if you had a house that you wanted to wholesale would they be interested. Most of them will say Yes. Create an Investor list so when you do get a deal you have an exit strategy. Next start looking at what houses are selling for in your area, you can do this on Zillow, Trulia and i'm sure there is one if not more than one public sites that give you access to your local MLS (Multiple Listing Service) this is the site the realtors use. Look at the price per square foot and notice that it's higher or lower depending on the condition of the home and the location also pay attention to the fact that you traditionally get a higher per ft value for smaller vs. bigger homes. These are all things you can research and study up on for Free in advance too talking to sellers. Once you get a bit of knowledge then put the word out that you Buy Houses, even if you don't actually buy them you can still put them under contract and then assign that contract to someone on your investor list. Contracts are another topic. Also you can go to your local investor meeting some are free and some charge a small monthly fee. Some are great and some are just put on by investors that only have there own best interests in mind.

    The most important thing to do is to Begin, you need to get headed down a path as you never now where that path will take you and what other opportunities will open up. I hope this helps and feel free to send me any specific questions you might have.

  • Asheboro, NC · Member since 2016 · 31 posts · 16 votes
    10y

    not trying to be mean but you have to bring something to the table

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    10y

    @Guillermo A.  yes me.. I was 18 years old and living at home when I got my  license and went to work.. I was bagging groceries to buy gas so I could be a realtor.  made my first sale about 30 days into it paid at 60 days  645.00  and never looked back. that was 42 years ago. with lots of ups and downs.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    10y

    however to be fair I was a very good salesmen at that age. I cut my teeth selling fuller brush door to door. so I could handle rejection I understood how to set up a buyer or a listing.. and I worked very hard.

  • Rental Property Investor · Rockford, IL · Member since 2014 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Joe Baker:

    not trying to be mean but you have to bring something to the table

    ... other than the (contract to purchase the) property? 

  • Asheboro, NC · Member since 2016 · 31 posts · 16 votes
    10y

    good credit, an income, something down. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Fl, MI · Member since 2016 · 12 posts · 5 votes
    10y

    Newbie here. Joliet my Hometown. 

    I would say bring lots of positive energy, willingness to learn, learn, learn, and a never quit attitude. Those with money lost LOTS of it by trial and error over years of effort. Look at it this way at least you have nothing to lose. You can do this.  Did I say don't ever quit? Much success to you :)

  • Rental Property Investor · Rockford, IL · Member since 2014 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    @Joe Baker,

    Unfortunately, this thread is about poor / no credit (the banksters slashed and burned consumer credit back in 2007/2008, remember?), no income (2.6 million jobs lost per the NY Times, same crash, remember), someone else's money down (the PROPER interpretation of "nothing down").

  • Asheboro, NC · Member since 2016 · 31 posts · 16 votes
    10y

    Yeah, I forgot. Everyone lost their income and everyone's credit was destroyed. I think that's a bit of a broad statement

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.