Just Completed Two BRRRRs

Just Completed Two BRRRRs

Rental Property Investor · Park City, UT · Member since 2016 · 678 posts · 531 votes

I am excited to be closing on two refi's this coming Friday....both of which I applied the BRRRR strategy. These are my 3rd and 4th property, respectively. Definitely some things I learned that I plan to apply on #5. Deal analyses below:

Property #1

  • Purchase Price:$82,000
  • Projected ARV:$105,000
  • Post-Rehab Appraisal:$111,000
  • Estimated Rehab: $11,000
  • Actual Rehab:$14,518
  • Financing:1st close: HML for 90 days at 9.99% and 2 points; 2nd close: 30-yr fixed at 4.375% and 0 points
  • Closing Costs:$6,982 (2 closings)
  • Rent:$1,200
  • Cash Flow: $327 (after maintenance, vacancies, etc.)
  • Cash on Cash Return:11%
  • Timetable:Rehab Complete – Day 15 (started Day 1), Tenant Occupied – Day 60, Refi Complete – Day 83

Property #2

  • Purchase Price:$120,000
  • Projected ARV:$160,000
  • Post-Rehab Appraisal:$162,000
  • Estimated Rehab: $18,000
  • Actual Rehab:$18,034 (amazing I got so close on this one)
  • Financing:1st close: HML for 90 days at 13.99% and 3 points; 2nd close: 30-yr fixed at 4.5% and 0 points
  • Closing Costs:$11,977 (2 closings)
  • Rent:$1,420
  • Cash Flow: $258 (after maintenance, vacancies, etc.)
  • Cash on Cash Return:7% (not great, but at least I have some equity)
  • Timetable:Rehab Complete – Day 25 (started Day 10), Tenant Occupied – Day 44, Refi Complete – Day 50

Key Lessons Learned:

  • Be super diligent on the refi process.  Start early and follow through on every step.
  • Prepare an "appraisal packet" (Thanks @Yinmeng Yu ) - my appraisers were very happy (never hurts to kiss some butt at this stage). I included before/after photos, rehab items and cost breakdown, original appraisal, etc.
  • Contractor I used on Property #1 was pretty good and efficient with his time.  It was a labor only deal.  Good part was I controlled all material costs and got some great deals.  Bad part was that I was heavily involved.  The contractor on Property #2 was more expensive but nearly turnkey.  I'm glad to have two good options for the next property.
  • Did my own listings and tenant screening.  That's a whole blog in itself.  But definite lessons learned.
  • Super excited how quickly we turned around Property #2.  50 days from one loan to another is pretty awesome in my book.  Looking to repeat that part of the process.
18Reply
128 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 2k+ votes
10y
Originally posted by @William Collins:

What Tony did do is a great job of buying hard money, and transitioning to traditional financing- locking in a great low interest rate.  This is still a good deal in my opinion.

Yep. All good - except, that's NOT the purpose of the "Refi" part of the BRRRR strategy.

The purpose is: to have a good enough deal in the first place so that a traditional say only 70% appraisal refi Loan still gets you ALL of your initial outlay back - to enable the Repeat. 

It's SUPPOSED to be the Real Estate equivalent of: perpetual motion! Cheers...

See this reply in the discussion

82 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Park City, UT · Member since 2016 · 678 posts · 531 votes
    10y

    @John Truong On the property in question I was buying it from NetWorth Realty (wholesaler) and wasn't able to use their competitor for financing. ;)

    I provided a list of repairs and estimates. That has been standard protocol on the three HML deals I have done. Although the first one I did not have to hold any money in escrow for the construction. So not sure why they made me give them a list.

  • Rental Property Investor · Park City, UT · Member since 2016 · 678 posts · 531 votes
    10y

    @Madeline Burke They just do Realtor.com and Doorsteps.com right now.  I think they are adding others.  I manually create a Zillow listing which puts it out to Trulia, Hotpads, and others.  In my experience, that has been plenty.

  • Real Estate Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2013 · 110 posts · 23 votes
    10y

    @Tony Castronovo It's nice to see that the ARV and repair estimates from NewWestern and Networth are pretty accurate. I always thought they over estimate the ARV and way underestimate repairs.

  • Real Estate Agent · Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2016 · 183 posts · 72 votes
    10y

    @Tony Castronovo Awesome, glad you've had luck with that. 

  • Menifee, CA · Member since 2016 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    That is great, congratulations! Thanks for sharing these numbers with us. This definitely help me with my knowledge on this since I too plan on using this method

  • Agent / Investor · Newark, NJ · Member since 2015 · 95 posts · 60 votes
    10y

    Hi Tony congrats on your success. I am about to close on 3 properties in the next 2 weeks, planning on going the BRRR strategy, i would be very thankful if you could forward me a copy of your appraisal package.. Thanks in advance

  • Rental Property Investor · Park City, UT · Member since 2016 · 678 posts · 531 votes
    10y

    @John Truong the ARV's have been pretty spot on. I checked on my NetWorth property and they estimated $21k for the rehab. I did it for $18k (including foundation repair). I did make some modifications to the repair items though. I'd say they were pretty good on the estimate. I don't think NWA is providing repair estimates anymore.

  • Pelham, NC · Member since 2015 · 160 posts · 54 votes
    10y

    Congratulations!

  • Investor Agent · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2013 · 79 posts · 210 votes
    10y

    @Tony Castronovo Might I ask what it is that you are doing extra to the properties? 

    Is haveing a COC return of around those numbers pretty typical in Katy in the market we are in?

  • Rental Property Investor · Park City, UT · Member since 2016 · 678 posts · 531 votes
    10y

    @Omar IsmaelThanks @Jay Johnson

    @John Barr Not sure what you mean about "what I am doing extra"? COC returns vary just like anything else. I probably pay more than average closing costs due to HML's and two closings. And of course the rehab costs are a big factor. When I analyze a deal I try to aim for 10%+ COC return. But I consider more than just one angle. I look for a little equity (if the equity is higher and the COC return is lower it may still meet my criteria). I also consider the risk. Right now I am laser focused. I only look for properties in three zip codes...focused on SFR 3/2's...modest rehabs...purchase price $80-130k...etc.

    I am trying to establish repeatable processes.  I took a chance earlier this year on a property I bought for $180k...4/2 with a pool...double the rehab costs I am used to...big project.  What a mess!  I am not saying that I can't be successful there.  But I think it is really important to "get good at something".  When I see a new property that fits my specs I jump on it.  It's much lower risk.  I know what to expect.  So I'd gladly trade off a few bucks for lower risk at this point in my RE career.  Looking for base hits...not a home run.

  • Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    @Tony Castronovo, why do your buys require "two closings"? Are you just buying them from unlicensed Wholesalers who must take title before they're allowed to sell to you? In which case, shouldn't THEY wear all of THEIR close? Especially if their "deals" aren't particularly strong?...

  • Rental Property Investor · Park City, UT · Member since 2016 · 678 posts · 531 votes
    10y

    Hi @Brent Coombs. In the two properties I used for my examples I purchased them from wholesalers using HML's. Of course I didn't want to stay in the HML's and therefore refinanced to long-term financing.

  • Rosenberg, TX · Member since 2016 · 29 posts · 9 votes
    10y

    @Tony Castronovo Thank you for posting the details. I am brand new but hoping to apply the BRRRR strategy as well. It helps to see your improvement process.

  • Investor · Top of the World · Member since 2016 · 165 posts · 40 votes
    9y

    @Tony Castronovo Was the reason for the  2 closings (double closings) because you used a wholesaler for these deals?

    Great information on the process!

  • Rental Property Investor · Park City, UT · Member since 2016 · 678 posts · 531 votes
    9y

    Hi @Curtis Harvey. I needed a quick close on the acquisition due to buying from a wholesaler. So had to use a HML and close in 2 weeks. Second close was the permanent financing to get me out of the HML.

  • Rental Property Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2014 · 80 posts · 55 votes
    9y

    Thanks for the post @Tony Castronovo. I'm closing on property #7 in the Houston area and for the last 2, have used an identical approach. HML to close quick (same as cash) then refi into a conventional lender, paying off HML as soon as possible. I'm using Sherman Bridge and they do require a separate escrow account with the rehab amount. I pay for the rehabs out of my own pocket, then request one draw upon completion.

    So far, so good and you're right, it's not a 'real' BRRRR deal but I was looking for a way to bring less cash upfront vs. what I had been doing on the first few properties...20-25% down using conventional financing plus paying for all rehab costs. The deals in Houston are there, but not sure BRRRRs are there unless you are willing to buy in class C or D neighborhoods. I haven't seen anything worthwhile for under $125K in the areas I'm looking.

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 26 posts · 3 votes
    9y

    @Account Closed when you use a HML to close quick, then refinance into a conventional lender; do you lose any money that way with closing costs, etc? I was thinking about doing the same because there is less paperwork to purchase the property quickly with a HML. My concern was that I would theoretically paying for double closing costs? Is that how it works? Thanks for explaining it to me!

  • Rental Property Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2014 · 80 posts · 55 votes
    9y

    @Mike F. yes you are correct, the downside is you are paying double closing costs (HML then conventional financing). I purchased these 2 properties at auction, so I had to use HML since it's considered same as cash and closing is under 30 days.

    It still works for me because I am coming to the table with less cash upfront than if I were purchasing with a conventional lender putting 20-25% down and paying for all of rehab out of pocket.

  • Rental Property Investor · Park City, UT · Member since 2016 · 678 posts · 531 votes
    9y

    Hi @Account Closed Yes, Bret is right.  You pay a lot more closing costs.  At first it bothered me (well, more than it does now).  But then when I realized it just needed to be factored into the deal economics, I was generally ok with it.  You see, when you are buying distressed properties most conventional lenders won't be able to fund the loan.  And if you have to close quickly (less than 2 wks) then conventional isn't even an option.

    This scenario does usually mean less out of pocket costs than putting 20-25% down.  So if your objective is to preserve cash and you are ok with trading off a little equity then it can be a good approach.  For me, I am trying to build a portfolio is quickly as reasonably possible.  If I can put less in every deal and pick up more properties because of the excess cash then I have one more unit generating cash flow, working down principal, appreciating, and offering me another tax benefit.  It doesn't take too long to recover the extra closing costs.

  • Rental Property Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2015 · 78 posts · 30 votes
    9y

    Hey @Tony Castronovo - Great work here and love the numbers! We're currently working on #3 in via BRRR as well!

  • Rental Property Investor · Park City, UT · Member since 2016 · 678 posts · 531 votes
    9y

    Thanks @Andrew Luong. And congrats on #3!

  • Rental Property Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2014 · 80 posts · 55 votes
    9y

    Hi @Tony Castronovo - yes, have a reliable team in Houston that I've built over the last year.  A good general contractor, flooring contractor, landscaper, HVAC, etc. and I use a property manager to manage all the properties.  I work closely with a realtor as well.  I travel to Houston about 3-4 times a year and typically walk the properties with my contractor before work begins.

    Sounds like we are on the same path regarding building the portfolio and preserving cash. Honestly, I probably would've used a HML for the first 3 and refi'd those vs. the way I acquired them traditionally with 25% down.

  • Rental Property Investor · Park City, UT · Member since 2016 · 678 posts · 531 votes
    9y

    @Account Closed Let me know if you ever need help with anything. Can't say I would always be in a position to help, but if you need "boots on the ground" to check on a property I might be able to help. Also, my wife is a realtor and works with investors....as well as lives with one who won't stop talking about REI. So she knows a thing or two if you ever need something there. Just PM me and we can discuss further.

  • Rental Property Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2014 · 80 posts · 55 votes
    9y

    @Tony Castronovo thanks...appreciate the offer and will PM you.

  • Spring, TX · Member since 2016 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    9y
    Tony Castronovo I just sent you a linkd in invite. I have a couple questions about your refi. Thanks in advance.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.