Building Momentum: Pasadena Apartment Flip Before & After Pics

Building Momentum: Pasadena Apartment Flip Before & After Pics

Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2016 · 50 posts · 50 votes

** Keep in mind while reading this that the LA market is crazy. The 2%, 50% and most other rules don’t apply. :-) **

Six years ago my husband and I bought our first property - a run down duplex in a transitioning part of Los Angeles for $550k. We spent 5 years and about $200k fixing up our upstairs unit while living in it. Despite the fact that our inherited rent-controlled tenants were paying only $1k per month, we were able to refinance at $1.1MM and took out money for a down payment on the next property..

Last November we bought a $1.1MM 4plex in Pasadena. Rents were $6,285/ month. After six years of landlording we had our first vacancy in April. We spent 2 weeks making cosmetic improvements to the unit and were able to re-rent it after 1 open house to a wonderful tenant at $1,775 - $300 more than the previous tenants / 1 months lost rent.

This experience emboldened us and, when we started having problems with a tenant in another unit (multiple domestic violence calls, set a small fire inside, etc), we were eager to flip it. The tenant left graciously and we spent the next 2 months remodelling down to the studs. All the work below was done by me and my husband with the exception of the plumbing, drywall, and tile.

Once again we were able to find a wonderful tenant in the course of a single open house and will be collecting $2150/ month - 54% more than the previous rent of $1395. Total cost of renovation was $27k including soundproofing on shared walls but not including 2 months lost rent. Overall payback will be just over 3 years but we’ve attracted a much higher caliber tenant and created a better living experience for the whole building.

So excited to tackle the next 2 units! 

Living/ Dining

Kitchen/ Pass-through Window

Bathroom

(Moved the toilet to add a laundry space)

Bedroom 1

14Reply
59 views

Most Popular Reply

San Diego, CA · Member since 2015 · 273 posts · 226 votes
10y

@Maggie Jones Your work looks amazing!  I love the reconfigure of the kitchen.  My husband and I just purchased a 4 unit in San Diego that we are owner occupying and rehabbing, so it's great to see the progress of someone in a similar boat.  We're also taking on most of the work ourselves minus plumbing and electrical.

I was wondering what soundproofing you used?  We have two stand alone unit and an upstairs/downstairs; we're currently working on the downstairs unit and we can hear a lot of sound from the upstairs tenants (might be exacerbated by the lack of kitchen and open drywall).   Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I can't wait to see your next finished unit!

See this reply in the discussion

37 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Pasadena, CA · Member since 2015 · 10 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    Nicely done!

  • Real Estate Agent · Pasadena, CA · Member since 2015 · 10 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    Are all your units rented? I may have good tenants for you.

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2016 · 50 posts · 50 votes
    10y

    @Hercules Goes Thanks so much! All the units are rented out but I'll reach out when we have another vacancy.

  • Real Estate Agent · Pasadena, CA · Member since 2015 · 10 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    That would be great! Are you guys looking for other investments currently or have any other deals to share?

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2013 · 231 posts · 260 votes
    10y

    @Maggie Jones Impressive ROI on your rehab. A 3 year payback is very very nice in LA, especially because you increased the value so much as well. Inherited tenants always make me a little nervous, because you don't know what you are going to get and what kind of screening the prior landlord did. Just curious where your duplex in LA is. Sounds like you really made your unit spectacular.

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2016 · 50 posts · 50 votes
    10y

    @Matt Mason Thanks so much! Our duplex is in mid-City.  We definitely got a little lucky with the timing and neighborhood.  Inherited tenants are indeed nerve-wracking.  We've really appreciated not having rent control in Pasadena so we could just gracefully decline to renew a lease when things get tough. Our rent-controlled tenants in the duplex just moved out so we started remodeling their unit just this week. 

    I'll post the pictures here when we're done - well, hopefully it's a success story :-)

    Looks like you're deep in reno, too.  Where are your properties?

    @Hercules Goes We're hoping to start looking again in late 2017/ early 2018 after we finish renovating the above unit and refi again. I'm thinking Inglewood might be the place to look if the new stadium hasn't already driven the prices up.  

  • Real Estate Agent · Pasadena, CA · Member since 2015 · 10 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    @Maggie Jones Sounds like you have a great game plan in action. I wish you the best in your endeavours.

  • Chris De CellePro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2016 · 41 posts · 28 votes
    10y

    Great JOB! I love the way you managed the use of space, making it look much bigger. Very classy touch!  

    CJD

  • San Diego, CA · Member since 2015 · 273 posts · 226 votes
    10y

    @Maggie Jones Your work looks amazing!  I love the reconfigure of the kitchen.  My husband and I just purchased a 4 unit in San Diego that we are owner occupying and rehabbing, so it's great to see the progress of someone in a similar boat.  We're also taking on most of the work ourselves minus plumbing and electrical.

    I was wondering what soundproofing you used?  We have two stand alone unit and an upstairs/downstairs; we're currently working on the downstairs unit and we can hear a lot of sound from the upstairs tenants (might be exacerbated by the lack of kitchen and open drywall).   Any suggestions would be appreciated.

    I can't wait to see your next finished unit!

  • Architect · San Diego, CA · Member since 2013 · 244 posts · 101 votes
    10y

    @Sarah D. for soundproofing between floors, fill between the joists with R19 batt insulation, and install metal resilient channels at right angles to the floor joists, and then install your drywall to the channels and not the joists.  Making sure all joints btw drywall are property sealed is important as well.  It's not perfect (1" lightweight concrete topping over the plywood would be even better!) but it will help a great deal.

  • San Diego, CA · Member since 2015 · 273 posts · 226 votes
    10y

    @Colin L. I will look into that, thanks!

  • Bulawayo, Zimbabwe · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 253 votes
    9y

    Looks great. well done

  • Rental Property Investor · Littleton, CO · Member since 2015 · 252 posts · 164 votes
    9y

    LOVE the before and after photos. Also, the way you reconfigured the kitchen is perfect. Really nice job all around.

    I'm bookmarking this post so I can come back and read about your numbers and rent control the next time I'm frustrated by the high price of deals in Denver.

  • Investor · Saint Louis, MO · Member since 2016 · 970 posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    beautiful! and well done!

  • Realtor · San Francisco Bay Area, CA · Member since 2016 · 123 posts · 48 votes
    9y

    @Maggie Jones  Congratulations!  It is very impressive, especially in California.  Can you share how you buy properties in this crazy market?  

  • Investor · Tallmadge, OH · Member since 2015 · 258 posts · 275 votes
    9y

    Very nice remodel! I love how you added the 2nd rectangular opening into the kitchen - amazing how such a minor detail can make a huge difference!

    Do you mind sharing the details of the flooring and paint colors you used in the living room? I love the combo.

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2016 · 50 posts · 50 votes
    9y

    Thanks everyone so much for the kind words!

    @Sarah D. Alas, we have no secret for buying properties. Just a lot of scouring the MLS listings on Redfin, lots of patience and even more luck. After months of looking and 13 offers my husband found our first property on Redfin - it was listed at $650k, was in probate, and had been on the market for over a year. It took some arm twisting to get our realtor to put in the offer for $550k but it was accepted. It was a brutal 2 month escrow for FHA but, lucky for us, the kids who had inherited it stopped paying their mortgage as soon as they accepted our offer so they were motivated to make it work, too.

    Our second purchase was also helped along by a motivated seller who was working on a 1031 exchange so needed to move fast.

    These days we search MLS for red flags like "foundation" and "TLC" in the description to find properties with more upside and with issues others may not want to deal with. I can't wait to be ready for our next one :-)

  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 9 posts · 5 votes
    9y

    Great looking place!

  • Rental Property Investor · Culver City, CA · Member since 2012 · 403 posts · 246 votes
    9y

    Inspiring job @Maggie Jones!

  • Rental Property Investor · Canyon Country, CA · Member since 2016 · 26 posts · 19 votes
    9y

    @Maggie Jones this is very inspiring, especially in the Los Angeles market! I invest in Texas, but would love to invest locally. I'll have to take your advice on the MLS searches.

  • Rental Property Investor · Durango, CO · Member since 2016 · 16 posts · 6 votes
    9y

    Very inspiring, thank you. 

  • Investor · Bothell, WA · Member since 2015 · 214 posts · 104 votes
    9y

    @Maggie Jones, I love what you did with the kitchen and the laundry. I would rent that in a heartbeat! Were you able to bring the units to positive cashflow after the updates? I found that especially hard to do in LA nowadays.

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2016 · 50 posts · 50 votes
    9y

    @Jen R. Thank you so much! In addition to adding the second opening we enlarge the first one substantially.  I agree it makes such a difference!

    The floors are Pergo Portfolio Silver Oak Wood Plank Laminate that I absolutely LOVED. So easy to install and modern looking without being too trendy.

    The paint was Behr Shiny Luster which I was not happy with.  The paint chip looked very neutral but it ended up having much too much blue on the walls.  I should have painted a sample.  The yellow accents helped to warm it up but I admit to reducing the saturation of these pictures a little bit so it didn't look so blue.

    @Fay Chen The property with 4 units was cash flow positive (by about $500 a year :-) ) but after this update and the next unit (will be ~$25k capex) we should be cash flowing $30k beginning 2018. 

    I agree it's hard to do in LA. Our strategy has been to look for more distressed properties with lots of upside and take advantage of the sweat equity. Claremont is such a charming town - how's the market there?

  • Castro Valley, CA · Member since 2016 · 18 posts · 10 votes
    9y

    @Maggie Jones Very inspiring story.

  • Investor · Bothell, WA · Member since 2015 · 214 posts · 104 votes
    9y

    @Maggie Jones, Claremont is very lovely - the city of trees and phD's! But I don't invest in Claremont due to the high prices and street restrictions. I have a SFR in Pomona (adjacent to Claremont). That's rented to my friend on a 5-year lease. He runs a full-time rooming house business where most of his tenants are students from the Claremont colleges and other colleges in Pomona/La Verne.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.