From 0-4 Houses in 3 Months!

From 0-4 Houses in 3 Months!

Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2016 · 23 posts · 81 votes

It's been five months or so since I've joined this website and have been relatively absent from the forums, not because I decided REI wasn't for me, but rather because I have been busy doing deals! To set the stage, here's a brief recap of my life for the past couple of years:

Problem #1

After completing 8 grueling years of school three years ago, I am making a good living working as a pharmacist, however, at the end of the month, I couldn't figure out why my bank account wasn't growing proportionately to the high-income salary I was receiving. Work is beyond stressful, I have guns pointed at my head from people trying to rob my safe, and nothing but disrespect from my patients--all to earn a high income salary and get three weeks of vacation per year. I am less than thrilled I invested eight years of my life dedicated to earning a doctoral degree to spend the next 30 years in a career I detest. At this point, I was thinking I should utilize my US Merchant Marine Officer license from the Coast Guard and re-open my charter fishing business or drive cargo ships up and down the Mississippi River. What now?

Solution #1

I went onto ancestry.com and attempted to find any rich relatives I didn't know existed that were up there in age. Just kidding. But really, I was near this point. Instead, I created an elaborate budget in Excel to figure out where my income was going. 

Problem #2

I discovered money pits such as cable, vacations, dates, eating out, etc. And one of the biggest expenses? RENT! I was paying close to $1200/month living on the Lower East Side of Milwaukee. While I love the area, it made me sick throwing this cash out the window every month so I thought about saving money to invest in a house so I'd at least start accumulating some equity. 

Solution #2

I made some radical changes in my life to start saving money for a house. I recorded (and still do) each and every transaction I make each month to make sure I am sticking to my budget. It's almost like a game to see how much money I can save each month. At this point, I'm no longer living like a rockstar, but my cash is accumulating with the intent to buy a house out in the suburbs and start investing in stocks while continuing to contribute the max to my work-sponsored 401K. It seems like that's what everyone else does, so I should probably do that, right?

Problem #3

I start reading about why houses are bad investments while at the same time I see my 401K losing money. Then I hear rumors about a looming recession approaching (late 2015). Should I really be investing this hard-earned money into a house and stocks?

Solution #3

It's late February of 2016, and I start browsing the internet learning about self-storage due to my friend's boss doing very well in the business. And then with one magic click of the mouse later, I was lead to the BiggerPockets forums which has completely changed my life. After learning medicine for most of my life, I dread going home to read medical journals to stay up to date, and it seems like my brain retains 0.1% of the content I read, on a good day. However, after discovering this website, my brain has literally been a sponge for REI knowledge. I studied the forums, listened to podcasts, watched the webinars, and read books before and after work for several months (and still do) before feeling somewhat ready to jump into this career.

I have a Type A personality, like most people in the medical field so I knew I would need the perfect opportunity to present itself in order to act on a deal, after meticulously analyzing the crap out of it to make sure it was absolutely perfect. Knowing this about myself, I did not want to get stuck in the analysis paralysis trap that would be my ultimate demise for not getting started in this field. I knew I would never feel completely ready; therefore, I started networking on here as well as my local REIA, and I interviewed real estate agents, CPAs, lenders, and attorneys to start my team.

I've met some incredible people already along the way. I want to give a shout-out to @Svetlana Foley for meeting with me and presenting an incredible deal my way. It didn't work out due to some zoning issues I didn't want to deal with, but she caters to investors in the Milwaukee suburbs, and I highly recommend her. The agent that has catapulted me into this field is @Carole Wehner, aka the "Duplex Queen." She is an investor herself and specializes in residential real estate investing on the East Side of Milwaukee and owns her own real estate company. She just joined BiggerPockets, but she also has a website, buysellduplex.com where you can reach her if you are seriously interested in investing in this area. She has been instrumental in furthering my education in REI by giving me the real-life, hands-on experience that accompanies this field that the books just can't teach you. Anyways, let's get to the deals already!

Deal #1 - House-Hacking

Two houses on the same lot, right off of Brady St. There was a duplex and a small, single-family 3 bed/1 bath on a 5000 sq ft lot. Asking price was $350K, but I got it for $335K with rents totaling $2400/month. This wasn't a steal by any means, but my tenants are paying my mortgage, it's a tax shelter, it's appreciating in a very desirable part of town (and rapidly growing), and I'm even cash-flowing ~$50 on top of all that with maintenance, insurance, and utilities figured in. I'm now saving an extra $1200/month that I used to pay in rent plus $50 cash flow (pre-tax)! The best part is, I only had to move about 6 blocks away from the area I never wanted to leave! For those of you that aren't familiar with the area, the Lower East Side is an A-/B+ area - one of the most desirable parts of Milwaukee as you could probably tell by the sales price of the property. This proves you don't have to live in a C+ area to house-hack! Once I move out of my unit in the future, the rents will easily total over $3600/month, exceeding the 1% rule, cash-flowing $1260/month, yielding a 60% pre-tax cash on cash return! (See below for financing)

I financed this deal through Great Midwest Bank, which I also highly recommend. My loan officer, Mark Scaduto, was another integral team member to the start of this new side-career. I can't say enough great things about him. GMB is a portfolio lender in Bayside, WI, but they also do conventional financing as well. I didn't want to tie up all my cash, so I elected to only put down 5% on a 5 year ARM at 3.5% amortized over 30 years. Luckily I have excellent credit so the private mortgage insurance (PMI) is only $125/month and will go away once I have 20% equity in the property. Trying to find a PMI company to insure a 3-unit property with 5% down was a major headache, but with Mark's persistence, he found one. If he was unable to do so, I would have gone the FHA route.

Tenants - the upstairs tenant in the duplex after 15 years wanted to continue residing in her unit, even after I told her I'd have to increase rents $300 to at least be somewhere near market. She was paying $625 and I increased to $925 where I could easily get $1100; however, she is extremely pleasant to deal with, and I didn't want to jeopardize finding a new tenant and dealing with turnover costs. The guys in the single family were paying $1265/month, but were leaving at the end of August. Worried about finding tenants for the first time, I put an ad on craigslist as well as hotpads and to my surprise I had 15 responses the next day! After screening the applicants, I ended up renting the house to the first girls that toured the open house for $1475/month! Boom! After receiving checks on the 1st of every month and experiencing how this all works first-hand, I am a believer! I've got the itch now. 

Deal #2

A month later, Carole tells me the two houses across the street are going on the market. My first response - are you crazy?! I just bought two houses, there's no way I can buy two more! Then I found myself thinking about Rich Dad, Poor Dad. Instead of thinking "I can't fund another deal" I got into the mindset of "How can fund this deal." The houses were directly across the street next to each other, but on two different lots. They were being sold as one due to one water line being connected to both. Asking price was $295k for the pair. After walking through, I decided they weren't worth $295k. In fact, these are tear-down houses, and it's exactly what I plan to do with them. They are in the best part of town right behind Brady St. Long story short, I ended up buying them for $261k and financing them through GMB again as investment properties in a portfolio loan 5 year ARM at 4.125% over 25 years. I inherited tenants on these houses so I decided to keep rents the same since I plan a major project next April, but I'm still cash flowing $260/month between the two after all expenses, maintenance, etc. So there you have it, four houses in three months all on one block! I couldn't be happier, and I'm now a believer in the power of REI and the ways it can generate tremendous wealth. I'll continue to work as a pharmacist so I can look favorable to lenders, but I'll decrease my hours down the road to transition to part-time.

The Future

I mentioned the two houses across the street are tear-downs. I plan on building two triplexes or one 6-plex that will overlook Brady St. I've got an architect working on the drawings currently and meeting with the zoning committee due to the variances that will need to take place. My goal is not to own hundreds of single-family houses, but rather concentrate on small commercial multifamily that will give me good ROIs. I want to focus on specialized, boutique urban housing that is green, energy-efficient, modern, and smart. This is the inspiration behind my newly formed LLC, GreenCatch Properties. There is actually a demand for this in my market. The numbers are working well for this project with a projected 10+% capitalization rate, but now I will be on the search for a lender to do a construction loan and then refinance the six units hopefully pulling some equity out after completion and stabilization. I never thought I'd be looking at development and commercial real estate this early, but the race is on! I know I've got so much yet to learn, and I'm sure I'll make many mistakes along the road, but that's what makes us better investors, right? If anyone could recommend a bank for commercial real estate financing in the Milwaukee area as well as some good general contractors for this project, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you to my team as well as everyone from this community that helped jump-start me into this exciting new world I didn't know existed eight months ago!

63Reply
175 views

Most Popular Reply

Clayton, NY · Member since 2015 · 157 posts · 35 votes
10y

@Michael Ouvrard What a great post! I myself was on the road to becoming a pharmacist but I stopped before I got too far into debt and decided to pursue a different path. I became a property and casualty insurance agent to improve my sales skills and now I'm building a real estate business from scratch. It's crazy the sequence of events that get you from point A to point B. Having the same A type personality, I have to work at overcoming procrastination and analysis paralysis every day. Being able to recognize that in yourself is important, especially when you're trying to move yourself forward. From the sounds of it, you're on a great path to achieving your goals and building upa solid foundation for yourself.

I think your end goals are very neat as well! Your approach to commercial multifamily certainly is a unique one and I can't wait to see how it goes for you. How did you come to the decision that the green boutique urban housing was the niche that you wanted to tap into?

See this reply in the discussion

65 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Pompano Beach, FL · Member since 2016 · 2 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    Michael, I have just recently joined myself and this post could not have provided a better example of what I had hoped to find here. It's great that you have identified what you want your focus to be in your multifamly portfolio and you are certainly on your way to great success in REI.

  • Rocky Hill, CT · Member since 2016 · 66 posts · 19 votes
    9y

    Love the story man especially the details of how you financed the deals. Did you find the House before the prequalify or did you do the work to get prequalified so you know what you were able to get into? Just curious @Michael Ouvrard

  • Real Estate Agent · NYC & FL · Member since 2014 · 69 posts · 29 votes
    9y

    Awesome post Michael, congrats on the early success ! All the best

  • Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2016 · 23 posts · 81 votes
    9y

    @Dante Pirouz it sounds like we have been leading parallel lives! Like Gary Keller states in his book, The Millionaire Real Estate Investor, we might feel RICH with our high-income W-2 job; however, once we hate our job enough to quit, we are no longer rich. Real estate investing allows us to build WEALTH, and I am so thankful I discovered the difference in these two terms early on and the path to build wealth. It's great you are setting goals for yourself, but remember banks will be hesitant to lend to borrowers without a steady, W-2 job. Quitting my job is my ultimate goal, but it would be prudent to work part-time rather than completely walk away Office Space style. 

    @Bryce Allen do you live in California still and invest in Milwaukee? Carole is wonderful and is an invaluable resource after being in this business for 20+ years.

  • Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2016 · 23 posts · 81 votes
    9y

    @Brian Pleshek yes I will run into some zoning issues; however, my architect is fairly well-known in the city with an impressive portfolio so the city knows the quality work he produces. Obviously the zoning and neighborhood approval will be obstacles to overcome, but not insurmountable. I've noticed this real estate game is full of highs and lows, but the investors that are persistent and willing to think outside the box to overcome obstacles and solve problems will be victorious. I'm a problem solver by nature, so I'm sure I'll face many obstacles and make mistakes, but that will make me a better, smarter investor.

  • Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2016 · 23 posts · 81 votes
    9y

    @Erik Stewart My lender wanted 30% down on the second deal since they were investment properties and no longer owner-occupied. My loan officer said I couldn't be more qualified for the loan, but I wasn't "seasoned" with the bank yet as I had just closed on my first property two months prior, and the underwriter was apprehensive about me moving so quickly. I have a whole life insurance policy with cash value built up so I was able to utilize those funds as well as savings from my pharmacy job. As far as financing this project, I will be looking to a commercial lender for a construction loan and then refinance it after it is completed, hoping cashing out some equity. I do not have any hard numbers yet, but I'm looking to put about $1.1 million into the project with it being valued at ~$1.7 million after it is stabilized. Rents are at a premium in my area, and I will have very little operating expenses since I will be managing this myself, and my tenants will be responsible for all utilities. With new construction, I can set a very fairly low budget for capital expenditures as well as maintenance.

    With that said, I will be looking for private money lenders or hard money lenders to aid with the 20-30% I might have to put down for construction loan, but I should have ample equity in the property after it is completed to repay those short-term loans as well as fund the next project across the street. If anyone has any experience with private and/or hard money lending, please message me.

  • Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2016 · 23 posts · 81 votes
    9y

    @Mark Shelstad I have a company-sponsored 401K that they match 100% up to 4% of my salary. Like you said, it's a no-brainer to invest at least the 4% in it (I put in 11% to max it out), but I feel like my funds are tied up in it as I have built up a nice fund already. I'm interested in a self-directed Roth IRA, but I understand I can't transfer that money into one unless I quit my job. I'd love to have access to these funds as I know I could get a better return with it in real estate.

  • Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2016 · 23 posts · 81 votes
    9y

    @Dom Allen No mentor, guru, or $50k coach. The BiggerPockets forums, podcasts, and webinars is where I'm obtaining all the information. My realtor is also guiding me, and I plan to talk with other investors who have completed some successful projects in the area I'm interested in. Experience and mistakes will guide me going forward. 

    @Account Closed I prequalified before finding a house. I went to many different banks because I only wanted to put down 5% without going the FHA route, and many banks wouldn't lend on more than 2 units without putting at least 20% down. Finding a bank that does portfolio loans proved to be the ticket in my case. Like everyone says here, don't quit after getting your first "no."

  • Broker / Investor · Tewksbury, MA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 351 votes
    9y

    I wonder what would happen if all our tenants started reading bigger pockets. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Park City, UT · Member since 2016 · 678 posts · 531 votes
    9y

    Great job @Michael Ouvrard! Very inspiring story.

  • Investor · Saint Louis, MO · Member since 2016 · 970 posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    Awesome post and great job with the details! Definitely a great read for beginner and advanced a like. Keep it up brother!

  • Rocky Hill, CT · Member since 2016 · 66 posts · 19 votes
    9y

    Thanks for the tip I have a prospective location for a 203k but the first 2 loan officers I've talked to have said no go. which just means no go for them ;) Thanks for the support! @Michael Ouvrard

  • Real Estate Entrepreneur · Liberty Twp., OH · Member since 2016 · 37 posts · 22 votes
    9y

    Great story!  Congrats!  Real estate is so incredible with so many different avenues to make money and be happy doing it!

  • Real Estate Agent · Dallas-Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2016 · 35 posts · 3 votes
    9y

    Great post @Michael Ouvrard thanks for sharing your story!

  • Investor · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2016 · 10 posts · 4 votes
    9y
    Nice! Keep pushing, keep growing!
  • Wholesaler · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2015 · 31 posts · 10 votes
    9y

    Many lenders have limits on # of units and tight income / debt ratio restrictions. We have products that can help you grow: stated income, no limit of #units, fast close, out-of-state.

  • Rental Property Investor · West Fargo, ND · Member since 2015 · 95 posts · 51 votes
    9y

    That is awesome Michael! I am happy you found your passion and are acting on it with no fear! I love it. I look forward to your future posts and success! Good luck!

    Erik

  • Tallahassee, FL · Member since 2016 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    Congrats! I have been an Optometrist for 12 years now and my passion is still there because I serve an awesome population (veterans) BUT I long to spend more time with my young children. I am type A too and am in "analysis paralysis". I currently have two properties now (rented) but have been in stuck for 2 years now. Need to move along and your post is VERY inspiring! Just what I needed to read. So thanks!!

  • Laguna Niguel, CA · Member since 2015 · 71 posts · 29 votes
    9y

    @Michael Ouvrard Wow, I was reading your post and I'm so challenged and humbled by your achievement in such a short amount of time. I know very well it's not easy to be a RE investor while at the same time having a full time job, but it seems that your focus, passion and drive got you to where you are today. Keep up the good work!

  • Investor · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2012 · 289 posts · 151 votes
    9y

    Do you expect to run into any problems with financing the construction if the down payment comes from a HML? I've read it can be an issue since neither lender would want to be relegated to 2nd position on the property.

  • Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2016 · 62 posts · 28 votes
    9y

    @Michael Ovuard I do live in CA and invest in Milwaukee. I have a 4plex in AZ I'm considering selling to move those assets into WI. Much better value there than on the West Coast.

  • Lender · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2015 · 17 posts · 4 votes
    9y

    Awesome story. If you want something go get it. Period

  • Real Estate Agent · Albuquerque, NM · Member since 2015 · 542 posts · 193 votes
    9y

    Your enthusiasm is infectious, congratulations!

  • Castro Valley, CA · Member since 2016 · 18 posts · 10 votes
    9y

    @Michael Ouvrard Your story is very inspiring.

  • Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2016 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    Thank for sharing this inspiring story on the genesis of your business. It showed me the value of developing a team. G luck to you.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.