First Buy & Hold using BRRR Strategy in DFW!

First Buy & Hold using BRRR Strategy in DFW!

Stephen QuesinberryBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · Cumming, GA · Member since 2016 · 226 posts · 157 votes

Hi Everyone! Excited to share my success story and lessons learned during my first BRRR and second investment property. Hopefully, everyone can learn from it!

Here are some lessons learned during my first SFH BRRR in Dallas-Fort Worth.

The Deal:

Purchase Price: $102,000

ARV: $150,000

Rehab: $20,000

Total Cash out of Pocket: ~$25,700

Estimated Cash on Cash Return: ~16%

PTIT Cash Flow: $500

Monthly Cash Flow: $339

(Vacancy 5%, Repairs 6%)

Lessons Learned:

  • It's all about the deal- I put in so much work to "prepare" myself for the purchasing of the property. I wanted to make sure I had everything lined up perfectly. Team built, property management paperwork etc. I spent a couple of months getting ready to be a real estate investor. Then, I began searching for the deal and it took much longer than anticipated. My advice is to not worry about everything else-just go after the deal. Identify the critiical items necessary to purchase the deal. After you secure the deal, figure out the next step. Take one thing at a time and the very first is finding a deal.
  • Cast a WIDE net. Tell everyone you're looking for a property, wholesalers, REI contacts, agents. Don't just depend on a couple of sources.
  • Had to put down $5K non-refundable deposit to secure the property to closing with hard money. Be prepared to HUSTLE. Had to make a quick decision and get the money quickly to get the property. It all comes down to being consistent about analyzing deals, then once you get the hang of it, you will be able to quickly analyze and make a decision.
  • After closing on the property with hard money, I had two weeks before closing. It took a significant amount of time to get contractors out there to make a bid. Do this as quickly as possible. Also, would recommend scheduling the contractor to walk through it with you. Each contractor had many questions as to what I wanted to do with the property and therefore created unnecessary back and forth communication. After closing hard money the two critical pieces were securing a rehab bid and getting insurance.
  • Closing with hard money happened at 75% ARV with Hard money. Refinancing on the back end would be 75% as well. Cash out of pocket at closing was 11,000. Will incur closing costs on the back end because of hard money financing at 75 rather than 70%.
  • Rehab:
    • Multiple Bids allowed me to compare and contrast what exactly needed to be done to the house and gave me reassurance that pricing was good. Especially for a new investor this is really beneficial.
    • Additional Repairs add up quick over time. Stick with the rehab plan and don't upgrade-It's just a rental! I upgraded on several features I should not have: A/C, painted the garage, textured ceilings. These upgrades will help if I ever need to sell the house, but significantly lowered my CoC return.
    • I probably could have stretched the water heater and A/C a couple of years, but wanted to include it with the rehab and BRRR. Figured it would cost me more down the line. No way of really telling if that was the right decision or not.
    • Permits. Part of my up front due diligence that I did not do well was ask the city if permits had been completed. Of course, luck would have it-there were no permits. I'm not sure what I'd have done if I found that out up front. I think I'd have still bought the property, just added the permits into my budget. My contractor was able to get a mechanical, plumbing, electrical, and remodeling for around $2K. This cost along with additional repairs really hurt the expected cash flow.
  • Property Management
    • Managing it myself
    • Required Rental Insurance
    • Sites that brought me leads:
      • Zillow Rental Manager (Zillow, HotPads, Trulia)
      • Cozy (Doorsteps, Realtor.com, Cozy)
      • Zumper (Realtor.com, Walk Score, Padmapper)
    • Do no use Rentals.com
      • I paid $50 for a month and got zero leads.
    • Phone Screen is important, do not show the house to anyone you do not think would make a good tenant.
    • Pricing made a huge difference when renting out my property, if you are not getting enough leads/interest, lower the price to meet the demand.
      • I originally posted for $1375 and had a few showings then shifted to $1345 and my phone was ringing of the hook.
  • Refinancing
    • Currently, refinancing out of hard money 2 months afterwards.
    • You can start the refinancing process when complete with the rehab and it will take 30 days from there, unfortunately. I did not project this well on my analysis-was unsure as to the timing/process of it all.

While the Cash flow did not pan out as well as I had projected, I took action and now have learned ALOT more than continuing to "educate" myself. There's probably more, but that's all I came up with for now, hope it helps! 

Excited for the next opportunity! 

Cornerstone Real Estate Partners
View Page
52Reply
600 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Chesapeake, VA · Member since 2016 · 24 posts · 10 votes
9y

Thanks for sharing!

See this reply in the discussion

116 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Baltimore, MD · Member since 2014 · 145 posts · 65 votes
    9y

    @Stephen Quesinberry Great work! Got a few questions:


    - Did you have any problems refinancing less than six months after purchasing the property?

    - Where did you get your 5% vacancy from? Is that the average in your local area?

    - How did you estimate rehab costs?

  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    9y

    Well done.  Is your $26k cash out-of-pocket calculated before or after the refinance?  If it is before, you may find that your after-refinance cash-on-cash returns are more than 16%.

  • Investor · Bronx, NY · Member since 2016 · 1 post · 0 votes
    9y

    Thanks for sharing, greatly appreciated

  • Investor · Fort Lauderdale · Member since 2016 · 38 posts · 4 votes
    9y

    Thank you for sharing and congrats! May I ask, is your property, even though purchased through wholesaler, is it in a good school district, and in safe area?

    I’m new to BP and some properties I’ve been researching that are off market or lower priced seem to be in not to safe or nice areas.If you can explain your thoughts on evaluating the neighborhood?

  • Portland, OR · Member since 2008 · 123 posts · 73 votes
    9y

    Good job. 

    You mentioned "I originally posted for $1375 and had a few showings then shifted to $1345 and my phone was ringing of the hook." It's funny how that happens, it's probably that a lot of people put in 1350 as a "max" amount in their search. Your place only showed up for people with 1400 in their search initially. It really shows that for less than $400 a year you can go from hard-to-rent to pick-your-best-tenant 

  • James LetchfordPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · WY · Member since 2016 · 87 posts · 51 votes
    9y

    @Stephen Quesinberry Congratulations. I'm about to close a deal with almost the exact numbers you stated in your story. Stoked to hear that it worked out. 

    Thanks for sharing. 

  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 18 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    Congrats @Stephen Quesinberry! And thanks for sharing the lessons learned throughout your process. I'll definitely refer back to these notes.

  • Investor · Redding, CA · Member since 2016 · 180 posts · 102 votes
    9y

    Great job, @Stephen Quesinberry and thanks for all the good info. Just curious how you're able to do the refi so soon without 6+ months seasoning. Is your hard money lender also doing the cash out refi or did you have to go with a conventional bank?

  • Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 20 posts · 8 votes
    9y

    Congrats to you and thank you for sharing.

  • Palpark, NJ · Member since 2016 · 69 posts · 11 votes
    9y

    @Stephen Quesinberry thanks for the post. Adding fuel to the flame right now to find my first deal as well.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Myrtle Beach, SC · Member since 2014 · 95 posts · 35 votes
    9y

    Great Story Quincy and thanks for sharing!

  • Columbia, SC · Member since 2015 · 29 posts · 5 votes
    9y

    @Stephen Quesinberry Congrats on the BRRR deal! Are you pulling any cash back out during the refi? If so, how are you avoiding any seasoning periods?

  • Columbia, SC · Member since 2015 · 29 posts · 5 votes
    9y

    @Stephen Quesinberry Sorry for the double question.  I just saw the same question by @Chris Low

  • Lender · Hunt Valley, MD · Member since 2016 · 83 posts · 30 votes
    9y

    Hey Stephen,

    Great job! My biggest suggestion is make sure you pick high quality tenants that you hope will last a long time. With a cash flow of only $339 per month you can not afford tenant turnover. That is @ $4k annually which will quickly be eaten into a negative if you have to paint the place or replace something from normal wear and tear after a year turnover. I would try to lock your new tenants into a minimum of a two year or three year lease which will allow your cash flow to accumulate (don't spend it!) to cover the cost of the turnover when they do leave. Stay positive, go long!

    Best of luck!

    Cheers!

  • Investor · Southeast, MI · Member since 2016 · 425 posts · 184 votes
    9y

    Congrats.  

    Was your cash out refinance LTV based on ARV, or purchased+rehab costs? The lender didn't mention waiting 6 months?

  • Investor · Leander, TX · Member since 2016 · 105 posts · 40 votes
    9y

    Great job, @Stephen Quesinberry. The first deal is always most difficult. You prepared yourself pretty well and executed with good precision. 

    Not doing excessive rehab is one of the key to success. If it is a must and adding value to the property value, add it to scope of work otherwise skip it.

    I have put my first BRRRR under contract and working on getting rehab bids and insurance. I will share once the rehab is complete and property is rented.

    Thanks for sharing your story.

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 60 posts · 45 votes
    9y

    Congrats and thanks for sharing.

  • Ryan OgilviePro Member
    Woodstown, NJ · Member since 2015 · 21 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    @Stephen Quesinberry Congrats on the deal! I am currently refinancing my first buy & hold as well. KBS Lending didn't require a 6 months seasoning period to refinance? I talked to a few lenders and they all required at least 6 months. I didn't look too deep into it though since it took me six months to complete the rehab but would like to know for the future. Thanks

  • Spokane, WA · Member since 2016 · 5 posts · 3 votes
    9y

    This was great to read! Thanks so much for sharing your experience.

  • Lincolnton, NC · Member since 2016 · 3 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    nice job, and thank you for sharing!

    looking for my first deal now.

  • Memphis, TN · Member since 2016 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    Is there anyone in Memphis Tn. that can mentor me and take me under their wing. I would really be greatful and in the end we both would benefit from it.

  • Investor · Jonesboro, GA · Member since 2014 · 26 posts · 9 votes
    9y

    Congratulations! Did you pay for double closing with hard money? How much of your initial investment are you getting back after refi? Thanks

  • Stephen QuesinberryBusiness Member
    OP
    Real Estate Agent · Cumming, GA · Member since 2016 · 226 posts · 157 votes
    9y

    @Andy Gross 

    -The seasoning issue: I had heard that it was possible to do less than 6 months of seasoning time. It took me awhile to find an investor friendly lender that was willing to do it. I'm still in the refinancing process but will be closing in the next week or two. (2 months in). Keep asking until someone tells you yes. 

    -Yes, just used the standard 5% vacancy rate, nothing special. Likely fluctuates between 5-7% in my area, if that. 

    -Estimated rehab costs: Wholesaler had an estimation and I had an experienced investor help me with estimating costs. 

    Cornerstone Real Estate Partners
    View Page
  • Stephen QuesinberryBusiness Member
    OP
    Real Estate Agent · Cumming, GA · Member since 2016 · 226 posts · 157 votes
    9y

    @Justin L. awesome! Hope it helps, feel free to reach out for questions! 

    @Brandon Burgoyne Thanks! 

    @James Letchford awesome, look forward to hearing how your deal works out!!

    Cornerstone Real Estate Partners
    View Page
  • Stephen QuesinberryBusiness Member
    OP
    Real Estate Agent · Cumming, GA · Member since 2016 · 226 posts · 157 votes
    9y

    @Chris Low I heard it was possible and kept asking around until I got the answer I wanted. I'll follow up with my lender to ask why it's possible for them to lend without seasoning vs other conventional lenders, will be sure to add notes to this thread. 

    The refinance is a conventional lender refinancing out of hard money. 

    Cornerstone Real Estate Partners
    View Page
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.