First Buy & Hold using BRRR Strategy in DFW!

First Buy & Hold using BRRR Strategy in DFW!

Stephen QuesinberryBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · Cumming, GA · Member since 2016 · 226 posts · 157 votes

Hi Everyone! Excited to share my success story and lessons learned during my first BRRR and second investment property. Hopefully, everyone can learn from it!

Here are some lessons learned during my first SFH BRRR in Dallas-Fort Worth.

The Deal:

Purchase Price: $102,000

ARV: $150,000

Rehab: $20,000

Total Cash out of Pocket: ~$25,700

Estimated Cash on Cash Return: ~16%

PTIT Cash Flow: $500

Monthly Cash Flow: $339

(Vacancy 5%, Repairs 6%)

Lessons Learned:

  • It's all about the deal- I put in so much work to "prepare" myself for the purchasing of the property. I wanted to make sure I had everything lined up perfectly. Team built, property management paperwork etc. I spent a couple of months getting ready to be a real estate investor. Then, I began searching for the deal and it took much longer than anticipated. My advice is to not worry about everything else-just go after the deal. Identify the critiical items necessary to purchase the deal. After you secure the deal, figure out the next step. Take one thing at a time and the very first is finding a deal.
  • Cast a WIDE net. Tell everyone you're looking for a property, wholesalers, REI contacts, agents. Don't just depend on a couple of sources.
  • Had to put down $5K non-refundable deposit to secure the property to closing with hard money. Be prepared to HUSTLE. Had to make a quick decision and get the money quickly to get the property. It all comes down to being consistent about analyzing deals, then once you get the hang of it, you will be able to quickly analyze and make a decision.
  • After closing on the property with hard money, I had two weeks before closing. It took a significant amount of time to get contractors out there to make a bid. Do this as quickly as possible. Also, would recommend scheduling the contractor to walk through it with you. Each contractor had many questions as to what I wanted to do with the property and therefore created unnecessary back and forth communication. After closing hard money the two critical pieces were securing a rehab bid and getting insurance.
  • Closing with hard money happened at 75% ARV with Hard money. Refinancing on the back end would be 75% as well. Cash out of pocket at closing was 11,000. Will incur closing costs on the back end because of hard money financing at 75 rather than 70%.
  • Rehab:
    • Multiple Bids allowed me to compare and contrast what exactly needed to be done to the house and gave me reassurance that pricing was good. Especially for a new investor this is really beneficial.
    • Additional Repairs add up quick over time. Stick with the rehab plan and don't upgrade-It's just a rental! I upgraded on several features I should not have: A/C, painted the garage, textured ceilings. These upgrades will help if I ever need to sell the house, but significantly lowered my CoC return.
    • I probably could have stretched the water heater and A/C a couple of years, but wanted to include it with the rehab and BRRR. Figured it would cost me more down the line. No way of really telling if that was the right decision or not.
    • Permits. Part of my up front due diligence that I did not do well was ask the city if permits had been completed. Of course, luck would have it-there were no permits. I'm not sure what I'd have done if I found that out up front. I think I'd have still bought the property, just added the permits into my budget. My contractor was able to get a mechanical, plumbing, electrical, and remodeling for around $2K. This cost along with additional repairs really hurt the expected cash flow.
  • Property Management
    • Managing it myself
    • Required Rental Insurance
    • Sites that brought me leads:
      • Zillow Rental Manager (Zillow, HotPads, Trulia)
      • Cozy (Doorsteps, Realtor.com, Cozy)
      • Zumper (Realtor.com, Walk Score, Padmapper)
    • Do no use Rentals.com
      • I paid $50 for a month and got zero leads.
    • Phone Screen is important, do not show the house to anyone you do not think would make a good tenant.
    • Pricing made a huge difference when renting out my property, if you are not getting enough leads/interest, lower the price to meet the demand.
      • I originally posted for $1375 and had a few showings then shifted to $1345 and my phone was ringing of the hook.
  • Refinancing
    • Currently, refinancing out of hard money 2 months afterwards.
    • You can start the refinancing process when complete with the rehab and it will take 30 days from there, unfortunately. I did not project this well on my analysis-was unsure as to the timing/process of it all.

While the Cash flow did not pan out as well as I had projected, I took action and now have learned ALOT more than continuing to "educate" myself. There's probably more, but that's all I came up with for now, hope it helps! 

Excited for the next opportunity! 

Cornerstone Real Estate Partners
View Page
52Reply
451 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Chesapeake, VA · Member since 2016 · 24 posts · 10 votes
9y

Thanks for sharing!

See this reply in the discussion

116 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Stephen QuesinberryBusiness Member
    OP
    Real Estate Agent · Cumming, GA · Member since 2016 · 226 posts · 157 votes
    9y

    @Ted Kawabata yes, I've heard good things about Texas Republic, I appreciate the recommendation. 

    Cornerstone Real Estate Partners
    View Page
  • Investor · Ohio & Florida · Member since 2016 · 55 posts · 6 votes
    9y
    Great input. Who did you use to refinance so quickly
  • NaTarrio JonesPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · League City, TX · Member since 2016 · 97 posts · 32 votes
    9y
    Thanks for sharing!
  • Rental Property Investor · Providence, RI · Member since 2016 · 59 posts · 39 votes
    9y

    @Stephen Quesinberry ; Thanks for the analysis and pointers, always appreciated on BP.  I have been considering doing my fist flip to raise additional capital for a larger multi-family purchase. Have a good general knowledge of construction and work needed, but nervous about forgetting something in the analysis, so everything I can get my hands on to read helps.  

    Will pull the trigger very soon as I am not one to get "Analysis Paralysis" as I call it and not make the leap.  Have already been an investor for 3.5 years and have 2 properties (12 rental units) thus far.  In the process of adding another 15-25 units in the next 10-12 months.  The flip would be to add to our initial capital for the purchase.

    Thanks again for posting your experience.

  • Thurman SchweitzerBusiness Member
    Realtor · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2014 · 29 posts · 5 votes
    9y

    Great story!!!!  Love it

  • Tampa, FL · Member since 2016 · 27 posts · 4 votes
    9y

    Thank you @Stephen Quesinberry for sharing your very first deal. And it's great you break it down in details for us. And you are right, as a beginner we are so tend to over-complicate things, try to overthink 5 steps ahead and feel overwhelmed and then stuck. Focus on one thing and one after another. And the instinct on a good deal takes practice after analyzing a bunch of properties. It's almost like peeling an onion, not until after 4 or 5 layers you don't see it's really a good one. But we got to do the work one layer at a time and be patient climbing that learning curve before becoming an expert. I'm in that process of finding my first deal and preparing to learn tons more than I can be educated by books and seminars/classes.

    By the way, you are in a great market. I moved here from Dallas. It's a biiiiiiiig city and has a large population. Your next is just around the corner!

    Best,

    Lin

  • Lewisville, TX · Member since 2016 · 1 post · 0 votes
    9y

    @Stephen Quesinberry Thanks for sharing this. I am just getting starting wholesaling in DFW so it's very helpful! 

  • Garrett MayPro Member
    Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2008 · 67 posts · 14 votes
    9y

    Congratulations on taking that leap of faith! Thank you for all the information that you provided.

  • Investor · Lisbon, Portugal · Member since 2016 · 48 posts · 8 votes
    9y

    Thank you for the detailed lessons, Stephen. Really helpful!

  • Member since 2019 · 54 posts · 13 votes
    5y

    That's a good return. We just did one in fort worth but only had 10% cash on cash due to foundation repair. It costs much more than what we initially budgeted. Congratulations! 

  • Member since 2019 · 54 posts · 13 votes
    5y

    This is our Fort Worth number. 

  • Andrew PostellPro Member
    Lender · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    5y

    @Fang Underhill how much is your loan for on this property?  

  • Member since 2019 · 54 posts · 13 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Andrew Postell:

    @Fang Underhill how much is your loan for on this property?  Andrew, so sorry for the delay. The loan is 80% loan. 

  • Member since 2022 · 11 posts · 4 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Stephen Quesinberry:

    Hi Everyone! Excited to share my success story and lessons learned during my first BRRR and second investment property. Hopefully, everyone can learn from it!

    Here are some lessons learned during my first SFH BRRR in Dallas-Fort Worth.

    The Deal:

    Purchase Price: $102,000

    ARV: $150,000

    Rehab: $20,000

    Total Cash out of Pocket: ~$25,700

    Estimated Cash on Cash Return: ~16%

    PTIT Cash Flow: $500

    Monthly Cash Flow: $339

    (Vacancy 5%, Repairs 6%)

    Lessons Learned:

    • It's all about the deal- I put in so much work to "prepare" myself for the purchasing of the property. I wanted to make sure I had everything lined up perfectly. Team built, property management paperwork etc. I spent a couple of months getting ready to be a real estate investor. Then, I began searching for the deal and it took much longer than anticipated. My advice is to not worry about everything else-just go after the deal. Identify the critiical items necessary to purchase the deal. After you secure the deal, figure out the next step. Take one thing at a time and the very first is finding a deal.
    • Cast a WIDE net. Tell everyone you're looking for a property, wholesalers, REI contacts, agents. Don't just depend on a couple of sources.
    • Had to put down $5K non-refundable deposit to secure the property to closing with hard money. Be prepared to HUSTLE. Had to make a quick decision and get the money quickly to get the property. It all comes down to being consistent about analyzing deals, then once you get the hang of it, you will be able to quickly analyze and make a decision.
    • After closing on the property with hard money, I had two weeks before closing. It took a significant amount of time to get contractors out there to make a bid. Do this as quickly as possible. Also, would recommend scheduling the contractor to walk through it with you. Each contractor had many questions as to what I wanted to do with the property and therefore created unnecessary back and forth communication. After closing hard money the two critical pieces were securing a rehab bid and getting insurance.
    • Closing with hard money happened at 75% ARV with Hard money. Refinancing on the back end would be 75% as well. Cash out of pocket at closing was 11,000. Will incur closing costs on the back end because of hard money financing at 75 rather than 70%.
    • Rehab:
      • Multiple Bids allowed me to compare and contrast what exactly needed to be done to the house and gave me reassurance that pricing was good. Especially for a new investor this is really beneficial.
      • Additional Repairs add up quick over time. Stick with the rehab plan and don't upgrade-It's just a rental! I upgraded on several features I should not have: A/C, painted the garage, textured ceilings. These upgrades will help if I ever need to sell the house, but significantly lowered my CoC return.
      • I probably could have stretched the water heater and A/C a couple of years, but wanted to include it with the rehab and BRRR. Figured it would cost me more down the line. No way of really telling if that was the right decision or not.
      • Permits. Part of my up front due diligence that I did not do well was ask the city if permits had been completed. Of course, luck would have it-there were no permits. I'm not sure what I'd have done if I found that out up front. I think I'd have still bought the property, just added the permits into my budget. My contractor was able to get a mechanical, plumbing, electrical, and remodeling for around $2K. This cost along with additional repairs really hurt the expected cash flow.
    • Property Management
      • Managing it myself
      • Required Rental Insurance
      • Sites that brought me leads:
        • Zillow Rental Manager (Zillow, HotPads, Trulia)
        • Cozy (Doorsteps, Realtor.com, Cozy)
        • Zumper (Realtor.com, Walk Score, Padmapper)
      • Do no use Rentals.com
        • I paid $50 for a month and got zero leads.
      • Phone Screen is important, do not show the house to anyone you do not think would make a good tenant.
      • Pricing made a huge difference when renting out my property, if you are not getting enough leads/interest, lower the price to meet the demand.
        • I originally posted for $1375 and had a few showings then shifted to $1345 and my phone was ringing of the hook.
    • Refinancing
      • Currently, refinancing out of hard money 2 months afterwards.
      • You can start the refinancing process when complete with the rehab and it will take 30 days from there, unfortunately. I did not project this well on my analysis-was unsure as to the timing/process of it all.

    While the Cash flow did not pan out as well as I had projected, I took action and now have learned ALOT more than continuing to "educate" myself. There's probably more, but that's all I came up with for now, hope it helps! 

    Excited for the next opportunity! 



    I am now in the process of getting educated to start BRRRR model. I understand that to get the best deal is the only effective way to generate income with this model. My questions to you:
    Does it worth it to get an inspector and then a contractor bid before i submit my offer?
    Should i rely on the realtor to get me the ARV value and the estimated rent value?

    Thank you



Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.