First Buy & Hold using BRRR Strategy in DFW!

First Buy & Hold using BRRR Strategy in DFW!

Stephen QuesinberryBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · Cumming, GA · Member since 2016 · 226 posts · 157 votes

Hi Everyone! Excited to share my success story and lessons learned during my first BRRR and second investment property. Hopefully, everyone can learn from it!

Here are some lessons learned during my first SFH BRRR in Dallas-Fort Worth.

The Deal:

Purchase Price: $102,000

ARV: $150,000

Rehab: $20,000

Total Cash out of Pocket: ~$25,700

Estimated Cash on Cash Return: ~16%

PTIT Cash Flow: $500

Monthly Cash Flow: $339

(Vacancy 5%, Repairs 6%)

Lessons Learned:

  • It's all about the deal- I put in so much work to "prepare" myself for the purchasing of the property. I wanted to make sure I had everything lined up perfectly. Team built, property management paperwork etc. I spent a couple of months getting ready to be a real estate investor. Then, I began searching for the deal and it took much longer than anticipated. My advice is to not worry about everything else-just go after the deal. Identify the critiical items necessary to purchase the deal. After you secure the deal, figure out the next step. Take one thing at a time and the very first is finding a deal.
  • Cast a WIDE net. Tell everyone you're looking for a property, wholesalers, REI contacts, agents. Don't just depend on a couple of sources.
  • Had to put down $5K non-refundable deposit to secure the property to closing with hard money. Be prepared to HUSTLE. Had to make a quick decision and get the money quickly to get the property. It all comes down to being consistent about analyzing deals, then once you get the hang of it, you will be able to quickly analyze and make a decision.
  • After closing on the property with hard money, I had two weeks before closing. It took a significant amount of time to get contractors out there to make a bid. Do this as quickly as possible. Also, would recommend scheduling the contractor to walk through it with you. Each contractor had many questions as to what I wanted to do with the property and therefore created unnecessary back and forth communication. After closing hard money the two critical pieces were securing a rehab bid and getting insurance.
  • Closing with hard money happened at 75% ARV with Hard money. Refinancing on the back end would be 75% as well. Cash out of pocket at closing was 11,000. Will incur closing costs on the back end because of hard money financing at 75 rather than 70%.
  • Rehab:
    • Multiple Bids allowed me to compare and contrast what exactly needed to be done to the house and gave me reassurance that pricing was good. Especially for a new investor this is really beneficial.
    • Additional Repairs add up quick over time. Stick with the rehab plan and don't upgrade-It's just a rental! I upgraded on several features I should not have: A/C, painted the garage, textured ceilings. These upgrades will help if I ever need to sell the house, but significantly lowered my CoC return.
    • I probably could have stretched the water heater and A/C a couple of years, but wanted to include it with the rehab and BRRR. Figured it would cost me more down the line. No way of really telling if that was the right decision or not.
    • Permits. Part of my up front due diligence that I did not do well was ask the city if permits had been completed. Of course, luck would have it-there were no permits. I'm not sure what I'd have done if I found that out up front. I think I'd have still bought the property, just added the permits into my budget. My contractor was able to get a mechanical, plumbing, electrical, and remodeling for around $2K. This cost along with additional repairs really hurt the expected cash flow.
  • Property Management
    • Managing it myself
    • Required Rental Insurance
    • Sites that brought me leads:
      • Zillow Rental Manager (Zillow, HotPads, Trulia)
      • Cozy (Doorsteps, Realtor.com, Cozy)
      • Zumper (Realtor.com, Walk Score, Padmapper)
    • Do no use Rentals.com
      • I paid $50 for a month and got zero leads.
    • Phone Screen is important, do not show the house to anyone you do not think would make a good tenant.
    • Pricing made a huge difference when renting out my property, if you are not getting enough leads/interest, lower the price to meet the demand.
      • I originally posted for $1375 and had a few showings then shifted to $1345 and my phone was ringing of the hook.
  • Refinancing
    • Currently, refinancing out of hard money 2 months afterwards.
    • You can start the refinancing process when complete with the rehab and it will take 30 days from there, unfortunately. I did not project this well on my analysis-was unsure as to the timing/process of it all.

While the Cash flow did not pan out as well as I had projected, I took action and now have learned ALOT more than continuing to "educate" myself. There's probably more, but that's all I came up with for now, hope it helps! 

Excited for the next opportunity! 

Cornerstone Real Estate Partners
View Page
52Reply
569 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Chesapeake, VA · Member since 2016 · 24 posts · 10 votes
9y

Thanks for sharing!

See this reply in the discussion

116 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Menands, NY · Member since 2016 · 78 posts · 16 votes
    9y

    Awesome! Congratulations Stephen! :-)

  • Stephen QuesinberryBusiness Member
    OP
    Real Estate Agent · Cumming, GA · Member since 2016 · 226 posts · 157 votes
    9y

    @Steve Moody So true. That was my line of thinking in why I shifted the price to below $1350. 

    Cornerstone Real Estate Partners
    View Page
  • Investor · Midland, TX · Member since 2015 · 45 posts · 18 votes
    9y

    @Stephen Quesinberry Good work Stephen. Is KBS Lending putting you through the federal regulations on the refinance? I've been refinancing a few properties lately but have to hold ownership for 6+ months before I can attempt a refinance through a conventional mortgage lender. Did you run into any issues with this timeframe?

  • Stephen QuesinberryBusiness Member
    OP
    Real Estate Agent · Cumming, GA · Member since 2016 · 226 posts · 157 votes
    9y

    @Mike Dymski This is calculated after refinance expenses, I have a pretty good idea what those expenses will be. 

    Cornerstone Real Estate Partners
    View Page
  • Stephen QuesinberryBusiness Member
    OP
    Real Estate Agent · Cumming, GA · Member since 2016 · 226 posts · 157 votes
    9y

    @Nate Barbee See my reply to @Chris Low. I have not had trouble with the seasoning period. I will find out why that is. 

    Cornerstone Real Estate Partners
    View Page
  • Stephen QuesinberryBusiness Member
    OP
    Real Estate Agent · Cumming, GA · Member since 2016 · 226 posts · 157 votes
    9y

    @Monica Diaz Hi Monica, yes it is a good working class neighborhood. I targeted several areas that were more blue collar with affordable pricing both for houses and rental prices. These areas have average to good schools with min-low crime rates. It's not the best areas, but certainly not the worst. I would recommend picking a few areas that meet a criteria you'd prefer and feel comfortable to invest in. 

    Cornerstone Real Estate Partners
    View Page
  • Stephen QuesinberryBusiness Member
    OP
    Real Estate Agent · Cumming, GA · Member since 2016 · 226 posts · 157 votes
    9y

    @Matthew Hipp yes, refer to my response to @Chris Low

    Cornerstone Real Estate Partners
    View Page
  • Stephen QuesinberryBusiness Member
    OP
    Real Estate Agent · Cumming, GA · Member since 2016 · 226 posts · 157 votes
    9y

    @Chris L. Thank you for the sound advice!

    Cornerstone Real Estate Partners
    View Page
  • Stephen QuesinberryBusiness Member
    OP
    Real Estate Agent · Cumming, GA · Member since 2016 · 226 posts · 157 votes
    9y

    @Russell Bogan @Ryan Ogilvie Refer to my response to @Chris Low. Will follow up as to why I don't need seasoning on the refinance. 

    Cornerstone Real Estate Partners
    View Page
  • Stephen QuesinberryBusiness Member
    OP
    Real Estate Agent · Cumming, GA · Member since 2016 · 226 posts · 157 votes
    9y

    @Russell Bogan

    Hi Russell, 

    I had to pay closing costs for hard money close. I'm not getting any money back on refinance because both hard money and refinance were loaned out a 75% LTV which equals to $112,500. Purchase price was $102,000, with my total out of pocket being about $25K. I was able to swallow some of the costs with the difference but obviously not a significant amount. Hope this answers the question.

    Cornerstone Real Estate Partners
    View Page
  • Irvington, NJ · Member since 2016 · 53 posts · 19 votes
    9y
    @stephen thanks for passing on your lessons learned . Quick question could u be a little more detailed about the refinance process on your property and how it turned out
  • Hadar OrkibiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · USA / NZ · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 812 votes
    9y

    @Latoria Sharp try to find away so you can add value to fellow experience investor, find them deals and do some leg work in exchange for support. read books and join local groups.

  • Investor · Rancho Cucamonga, CA · Member since 2016 · 37 posts · 8 votes
    9y

    Great share and congratulations @Stephen Quesinberry! More power and it's really invigorating to hear stories like yours and motivate the rest of the investors.

  • Investor · Rockwall, TX · Member since 2016 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    9y
    Really nice write up, thanks and congrats!
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2015 · 16 posts · 7 votes
    9y
    Thank you for sharing this! Definitely needed to see this now and stop wanting to perfect everything, you are definitely right need to jump in!
  • Wholesaler · Newport, KY · Member since 2014 · 62 posts · 47 votes
    9y

    @Stephen Quesinberry  Congrats on your Brrrr.  I'm a fellow landlord too and thought to provide you with a couple tips and tricks that make the process better for me.  I also learned a ton from the BP podcast with Marsha Maynard, I believe #89, check it out as it has lot's of golden nuggets.

    1. When showing a property, say 10 am on Saturday, when booking the showing for rent ask them how far they currently live from the apartment. Example they say 20 minutes so I would say "Great then please text me at 9:40 that you are coming ok? If I don't get a text from you I'll assume your schedule changed and we'll reschedule" This prevents you from waiting in a vacant apartment for someone to no show. Does this makes sense?

    2. During the phone screen after I find out the standard questions I'll say "I'm very good and do a very thorough reference check as well as credit and criminal checks so is there anything you need to tell me about?" More that 1/2 the time they hang up and that is what you want. It weeds about many bad people over the phone and it's a huge time saver.

    3.  Before signing the lease you perform a condition walk thru of the apartment.  When in the bathroom I'll flush the toilet right there.  I know sounds weird but then I have several lines in my lease that say and have then initial.  These alone prevent midnight "my toilet is plugged up calls"

    • a.Landlord informs the Tenant that the sewer system of the Premises is not designed to accept many types of items, included but not limited to, paper diapers, sanitary napkins, tampons, and children’s toys, balls of hair, grease, oil, table scraps, clothing, rags, sand, dirt, rocks or newspaper. Initials: _______
    • b.Tenant agrees to pay for clearing the sewer drains of the Premises of any and all stoppages, except for those stoppages which the Landlord will agree were caused by defective plumbing, tree roots, acts of nature, or which are declared in writing to have been so caused by the plumber or other person who is called to clear the stoppage. Initials: _______

    Hope this helps you and keep up the great work.


    Garth

  • Investor · Lafayette, CO · Member since 2016 · 88 posts · 17 votes
    9y
    Thanks for sharing your experience. I have been at this for a few years and appreciate that what you've learned is the same stuff I learned along the way and yet you still reminded me where I need to refocus.
  • Investor · Pompano Beach, FL · Member since 2016 · 12 posts · 0 votes
    9y
    As a new investor I can relate to wanting to get everything perfect before doing the first deal. Guess it's part of the type-A personality. Thanks for sharing both the good and not so good parts of your experience. Good luck.
  • Investor from Miami, FL · Member since 2016 · 43 posts · 10 votes
    9y
    Thank you so much for the insight!
  • Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2014 · 17 posts · 5 votes
    9y
    A detailed scope of work for the rehab will save you a lot of headache during the course of your rehab, and a lot of time at the beginning of your project when you are walking the property and getting bids from contractors. Go room by room in the house and spell out exactly what you want done in as much detail as possible, down to the most minor of tasks. Defining every aspect of the project for your contractors will allow them to quickly give you bids, and will serve as change order protection for you and your contractor if he decides to charge you extra for something he agreed was in his scope, or you decide to add something he didn't agree to include. I have found from my experience rehabbing homes that most contracts appreciate this clarity very much, and as a result your project runs a whole lot smoother. I can share a scope of work as an example for the project we are currently working on here in Denver if you are interested. Just let me know, I am happy to send it over. Congrats on your success! I plan to utilize this strategy for the first time myself, beginning of next year.
  • NY Licensed Salesperson · New York, NY · Member since 2011 · 29 posts · 12 votes
    9y

    Great post! Congratulations 

  • San Diego, CA · Member since 2016 · 10 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    Congrats! I found this to be very helpful info.

  • Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2016 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    Great post! What's "PTIT Cash Flow"? I've been searching everywhere and can't find what that acronym stands for. Thanks!

  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 25 posts · 9 votes
    9y
    Congrats Stephen Quesinberry !!!! I would like to add you to my buyers list for when I find deals ....
  • Investor · Leeds, AL · Member since 2016 · 18 posts · 0 votes
    9y
    Thanks for sharing Stephen, I am close to the stage where I need to pull the trigger on my first one, I am just putting a few more pieces of the puzzle together. I need to establish a good $$$ source, hard money looks like a good angle. How did you get the bids before you made the offer? Did you walk through with the different contractors or take pictures and write up a scope of work?
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.