Just Completed My First BRRRR and made $15k!!!

Just Completed My First BRRRR and made $15k!!!

Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2014 · 17 posts · 34 votes

This month I successfully completed my first BRRRR project, and want to thank BP because until recently I've never heard the term BRRRR. We purchased a house in Charlotte, NC just over 2 years ago (November 2014) for $35,000 in cash - $15,000 down with the other $20,000 from a private lender. The property didn't need much, but we repaired the sub-floor in the master bath, HVAC / duct work, replaced some appliances & the rest was cosmetic work. All of the repairs were handled as they came up and actually paid for with rent proceeds. We rented it right away for $595, and after loan payment & expenses our net cashed flow was just over $200 per month. The house recently appraised for $70,000 and we closed earlier this month on lucky Friday the 13th, pulling out $52,500 in equity. After paying off our private loan, and anticipating our closing date we were able to get our next house under contract exactly one week later on the 20th! Here are the numbers below:

$52,500 Cash from refinance
- $6,000 closing costs ($3,000 from original purchase and $3,000 from refi)
- $16,500 private loan balance
- $15,000 initial cash investment
= $15,000 extra to reinvest!!!

We were able to double our original investment amount and will hopefully be able to close on 2 properties and continue to repeat the process.  The best part is that the house we are buying next will be almost fully funded by the first.  We got it under contract for $78,500, and are putting 20% down ($15,700).  With another $3,000 in closing costs, we will be all in at $18,700 and $15,000 of that came from house #1. 

Thanks BP for all the inspiration, I would love to hear about other people's BRRRR success stories!!!

31Reply
186 views

Most Popular Reply

Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
9y

@Account Closed I am the king of BRRR I did about 2,000 of these in my HML days from 2001 to 2008.. I certainly understand it.. make sure you save some of that cash out for reserves.. many of my clients did not and ended up losing their rentals.. rentals NEED RESERVES or you will lose them

See this reply in the discussion

64 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Portsmouth, VA · Member since 2016 · 289 posts · 107 votes
    9y

    Great Job! Did you find the property from the MLS?

  • Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2014 · 17 posts · 34 votes
    9y

    Thank you, yes both properties actually came off of the MLS. I haven't done any marketing or found any wholesales that we've been able to work with.

  • Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 23 posts · 15 votes
    9y

    Hi Dylan,

    Congrats on the BRRRR success story! That's such a good story.

    Would you mind sharing the lender you used for the second property with only $3,000 closing costs? 

    Thank you!

  • Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2014 · 17 posts · 34 votes
    9y

    Thanks Roy!  We used a local broker in the Charlotte area.  The closing costs were just above $3,000 but if you send me a PM I can give you the details & contact info.  Thanks!

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    9y

    nice one... although you did not make 15k  you pulled it out tax DEFERRED which is great.

  • Rental Property Investor · Davenport, FL · Member since 2016 · 593 posts · 382 votes
    9y

    @Account Closed Nice! It is fun to hear stories about these techniques working. 

  • Specialist · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2016 · 841 posts · 480 votes
    9y

    Is this more of a remote investment for you?  If so, how did you get your team into place to handle everything?

  • Investor · Saint Charles, MO · Member since 2016 · 118 posts · 91 votes
    9y

    Is the first house still cash flowing at the new, higher mortgage level?  Also, I was wondering why you went private money on the first house instead of conventional mortgage (since you took 2 years before refinancing).  

    Congrats on the deal

  • Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2014 · 17 posts · 34 votes
    9y
    Jay - you're right, we didn't technically make $15,000, but we did turn our initial investment of $15,000 into $30,000 to reinvest which is a win! Kristopher - thanks for the kind words! Rich - So I live in Florida and my partner lives in the Charlotte area. We have a small team in place, but he is our boots on the ground when needed. Clint - The house is still cash flowing just over $200 a month after pulling all of our equity out. We've been fortunate to have a great long-term tenant in place. When we did the refi, we used conventional financing... We would have preferred to originally finance the property with conventional financing too, but went with private money because it was difficult to get a mortgage for $20,000.
  • Real Estate Investor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2017 · 18 posts · 7 votes
    9y

    Awesome story

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    9y

    @Account Closed I am the king of BRRR I did about 2,000 of these in my HML days from 2001 to 2008.. I certainly understand it.. make sure you save some of that cash out for reserves.. many of my clients did not and ended up losing their rentals.. rentals NEED RESERVES or you will lose them

  • Fort Mill, SC · Member since 2016 · 22 posts · 4 votes
    9y

    Great story, I live in the Charlotte area and have only one rental now but looking to find my first brrrr project.  I am am still pretty much a novice at this and haven't had much luck finding a property like that but am not giving up.  Success stories like yours keeps me motivated.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2015 · 93 posts · 31 votes
    9y

    @Account Closed as well. Feel free to reach out and I'd love to see what I can do to help you get your REI off the ground.

  • Boxborough, MA · Member since 2014 · 230 posts · 62 votes
    9y

    Way to go! you are on the road to success!

  • Real Estate Agent · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    BRRRR is an amazing approach. The challenge I have seen is getting conventional financing for the refi. The banks are looking for w2 income to cover the mortgage. Some will include part of the (net) rental income. The banks are looking for 40+-% dept to income. If you are not able to qualify then you are back in expensive money.

  • Investor · Richmond, VA · Member since 2015 · 139 posts · 43 votes
    9y

    Congrats on the BRRRR! Any chance you can share more detail on your numbers and cash flow? PITI, maintenance, vacancy, capex, PM? I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around the fact that monthly rent amount of $595 per month can cash flow over $200 with a refinance at $52k?

  • Specialist · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2016 · 841 posts · 480 votes
    9y

    Dylan - 

    I need to find a good Wholesaler doing a fair amount of volume in that Charlotte market.  You and your partner are from that area, can you send me a name, phone, or email of someone that fits that profile?  

  • Belleville, IL · Member since 2015 · 48 posts · 5 votes
    9y

    Thanks for sharing! Very inspiring!

  • Entrepreneur · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2017 · 31 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    @Account Closed congrats! I am currently looking for my first BRRRR at the moment. Would you mind me asking if you REI full time of fund it with a second job? I am currently looking to change careers and Im researching the idea and possibility of being a full time investor. Some say it's not possibly right off the bat and others say it is. If it is, Im looking for the best ways to go about it. Your story is inspirational and just wanted to see how you exactly went about it? Thanks!

  • Rental Property Investor · Concord, NC · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    Nicely done.  I have 10 or so single family rentals right up the road in Concord, NC.  Probably a dumb question on my part - I generally pay around $550 for a local attorney to close for me.  What is causing your $3K cost?

    Terrell

  • Real Estate Agent · Coopersburg, PA · Member since 2016 · 28 posts · 9 votes
    9y

    @Account Closed Congratulations Dylan!! My wife and I have been wanting to do a BRRR and stories like this continue to inspire me! Thanks for sharing and good luck the rest of the way!

  • Miami, FL · Member since 2011 · 296 posts · 72 votes
    9y

    That is amazing and very inspiring @Account Closed. Congratulations!

  • Investor · Peculiar, MO · Member since 2016 · 83 posts · 60 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Ryan K.:

    Congrats on the BRRRR! Any chance you can share more detail on your numbers and cash flow? PITI, maintenance, vacancy, capex, PM? I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around the fact that monthly rent amount of $595 per month can cash flow over $200 with a refinance at $52k?

    That's a good point...

    By my guestimates I'm having a hard time coming up with that much cash flow:

    $52k@ 5% = $280/mo Payment

    Insurance & Taxes: $150/mo (total guess here...)

    Low est of 5% each for Vac/Maint/CAPEX = $90

    $280 + $150 + $90 = $520

    $595 - $520 = $75

    Even if you take out the $90/mo for Vac/Maint/CAPEX, it's still only $165/mo cashflow.

    What am I missing here?

  • Real Estate Investor · Paterson, NJ · Member since 2017 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    Congratulations Dylan. Thanks for sharing. :)

  • Investor · Lake Worth, FL · Member since 2015 · 30 posts · 7 votes
    9y

    Awesome job on your first BRRRR!! I'm planning on doing the same this summer on a townhouse I got for a steal almost a year ago. Got it for $100k and put $20k down leaving me with $80k loan balance. It currently rented out at $1,475 on a $432 monthly mortgage (prop tax not escrowed). Prop didn't need much upgrade, I just recently ripped out the carpet on second floor and put laminet and the first floor is all tiled. Recent sales in the development are around $115k-125k. Didn't do hard money on this one so hoping to be able to cashout and purchase more to add to my growing portfolio.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.