Tenants 18 year old moved in. Does she need to be on the lease?

Tenants 18 year old moved in. Does she need to be on the lease?

Buy & hold real estate investor. Designer & animator. · Jersey City, NJ · Member since 2015 · 81 posts · 12 votes

I noticed my tenants who daughter as in college has stated to live in the apartment. I believe she's 18 or 19. There lease renewal is coming up. Do I have to have the daughter sign the lease and if so why? This is a property I have in Jersey City Heights. 

0Reply
26 views

Most Popular Reply

Darren SagerPro Member
Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
9y

IF she's their child she doesn't need to be named (having to sign) on the lease HOWEVER any legal actions you may take against the parents you have to also send all notifications to her (or anyone 18 and above living there) as well.  This is my understanding of the NJ law. However,  confirm with your attorney.

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Garden City, NY · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Julie Verardi

    You can do a co-tenant lease addendum for the adult child if they are living there, versus just visiting while school is on break.

  • Rental Property Investor · Davenport, FL · Member since 2016 · 593 posts · 382 votes
    9y

    @Julie Verardi I would make her sign the lease. She is an adult and you need to know who is in your property. If an eviction becomes necessary it will be a lot easier if you have all the personal info on all of the adults. I would add her to be on the safe side. 

  • Buy & hold real estate investor. Designer & animator. · Jersey City, NJ · Member since 2015 · 81 posts · 12 votes
    9y

    Yah I think she's there full time and maybe even if she isn't I should still include her just to be safe. Thanks for the input everyone. 

  • Darren SagerPro Member
    Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    IF she's their child she doesn't need to be named (having to sign) on the lease HOWEVER any legal actions you may take against the parents you have to also send all notifications to her (or anyone 18 and above living there) as well.  This is my understanding of the NJ law. However,  confirm with your attorney.

  • Specialist · Lakewood, CO · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Julie Verardi I require any 18+ in the property to be on the lease, regardless of who their parent is. I had a tenant that lived with mom. Mom moved out without notice when she married someone and the daughter stayed paying rent... luckily it all worked out but it could have been a pain.

    An adult is an adult is on the lease!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.