Jacksonville, FL - SFH new construction

Jacksonville, FL - SFH new construction

Rental Property Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2016 · 52 posts · 48 votes

Long time reader, first time poster here.  I wanted to include the details of my most recent deal and open it up to critiques and suggestions.  I am working with a turnkey company (JAX Investments) and Suncoast Property Management.  This is a new home on the west side of Jacksonville (4 bed / 2 bath).  

Onto the numbers...  

Target rent = $1395-1365

In a typical month, I should cash flow around $328-301/month. This includes the mortgage payment of $647, property taxes @ 1.5% ($207/month), annual insurance ($398 for liability/PD + $574 flood), $250/year HOA, and the 8% property mgmt fee. I'm assuming $0 in maintenance for the first two years since the home is brand new with a warranty.

I setup a separate bank account which will process all transactions associated with this deal. I wanted it separate so it didn't impact our day-to-day finances. In that account, I'm setting aside ~$4k as reserves for any expenses that come up, vacancies, etc. My plan is to apply any proceeds above and beyond this reserve threshold to the mortgage since it would be a guaranteed 4.75% return and could pay down the mortgage faster. Hopefully, I could have the mortgage paid off within 15-20 years so when a major repair is necessary (e.g. new roof) the property would be cash flowing closer to $1000/month instead.

ROI should be around 7-8% depending on where the rent falls in the above range assuming no appreciation on the property. Granted, this rate does not take into account vacancy or tenant placement fees (50% of one month's rent + $150 renewal fee). In my annual pro forma, I assume one month vacancy and a new tenant every year which would bring the ROI down to the 3-4% range before appreciation. I'm not sure on my exact closing costs so these percentages aren't nailed down yet.

I could increase the above numbers if I opted out of flood insurance (the home isn't in a flood zone) but I'm waffling on that a bit. The more I learn and the more research I do on RE investments the more I think that every property has to cash flow at least $300/month otherwise it'll never be profitable. Unfortunately, there is no easy money in the world...

Looking forward to any input from the BP forum!

1Reply
59 views

Most Popular Reply

Mary K.Pro Member
Investor · Ocala, FL · Member since 2015 · 157 posts · 88 votes
8y

Question for anyone. I'm in Ocala. Back in 2006/07 I lived in the Marion/Citrus county areas and construction companies built hundreds of houses for (mostly out of state) investors (who flooded the area, like now) who had the idea of renting them out.  Soon the supply of houses far exceeded the # of renters and by the bust in 2008, 100s of these houses sat empty, many going to foreclosure. Is anyone worried about the same happening again since we are seeing so much investor activity? Granted, I wasn't in Jacksonville then but I think this happened statewide.  Do you all feel the jobs/growth/economic numbers in Jacksonville look good enough long term? Or in Ocala?  I myself am cautious about buying too much where lots of investors are jumping in (since history often repeats itself) but would like to hear everyone's thoughts. 

See this reply in the discussion

31 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Northern Virginia · Member since 2018 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    Brandon,

         Thanks for sharing your experience with Suncoast Property Management and Southern Home Impressions in Jacksonville, FL. Did you have your own real estate agent when you brought your new construction property from Southern Home Impressions ?

  • Real Estate Agent · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2020 · 34 posts · 17 votes
    6y

    @Jean B. Pijeau

    Hi Jean, I’m part of the Real Estate Team with Southern Impressions Hones and Suncoast Property Management! I can get you in contact with Allison who can give you all the information on all of our new construction homes! Look for my message to you!

  • Rental Property Investor · Boston, MA · Member since 2016 · 61 posts · 18 votes
    6y

    @Brandon H. @Melissa Veazie

    From the property owner's side and from the management side, is now a good time to buy or wait a few more months? How many new homes have come on the market in Jacksonville year over year and is there still a sustainable demand to accommodate these? Growth seems promising, but how does it feel for you?

  • Rental Property Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2016 · 52 posts · 48 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Christopher Kolasa:

    @Brandon H. @Melissa Veazie

    From the property owner's side and from the management side, is now a good time to buy or wait a few more months? How many new homes have come on the market in Jacksonville year over year and is there still a sustainable demand to accommodate these? Growth seems promising, but how does it feel for you?

    I would not buy right now.  Pricing of new construction is too high in the Jacksonville market to yield a decent return - particularly given the economic uncertainty for the next 12-18 months.  I cannot speak to how many new homes have come on the market in Jacksonville YoY but I'm not bullish on demand holding up (again, the aforementioned economic uncertainty).  

  • Real Estate Agent · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2020 · 34 posts · 17 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Christopher Kolasa:

    @Brandon H. @Melissa Veazie

    From the property owner's side and from the management side, is now a good time to buy or wait a few more months? How many new homes have come on the market in Jacksonville year over year and is there still a sustainable demand to accommodate these? Growth seems promising, but how does it feel for you?

    Hi Christopher, 

    While many investors have decided to wait on purchasing, there are several others that are very active in the market. Just in the past week, sells have increase signaficiantly. Leasing rental properties are in high demand and more are needed. From the leasing side of things, the market never slowed down.

    I hope that answers your question, I will send you a PM so we can discuss more. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2008 · 784 posts · 528 votes
    6y

    @Brandon H. Well said, I would add that we really don't know when people will get back to work in a "new normal". I'm hearing from economists, this is akin to a Cat 5 Hurricane hitting every major city in America. What we are seeing on the west coast will eventually hit here in Jax, it takes a while for it to get here. 

    So long as the velocity of money stays where it is now in mid-may, we will be in a long recovery. If we get more stimulus NOW, we can see people get back to work and feel better about their "situation". It will be interesting to see if the under $300k market stays hot, for 1st time home buyers. I would think if you can find homes under the 300k that you can make a nice profit, you would be better than the higher properties. Best of luck to you! 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.