Jacksonville, FL - SFH new construction

Jacksonville, FL - SFH new construction

Rental Property Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2016 · 52 posts · 48 votes

Long time reader, first time poster here.  I wanted to include the details of my most recent deal and open it up to critiques and suggestions.  I am working with a turnkey company (JAX Investments) and Suncoast Property Management.  This is a new home on the west side of Jacksonville (4 bed / 2 bath).  

Onto the numbers...  

Target rent = $1395-1365

In a typical month, I should cash flow around $328-301/month. This includes the mortgage payment of $647, property taxes @ 1.5% ($207/month), annual insurance ($398 for liability/PD + $574 flood), $250/year HOA, and the 8% property mgmt fee. I'm assuming $0 in maintenance for the first two years since the home is brand new with a warranty.

I setup a separate bank account which will process all transactions associated with this deal. I wanted it separate so it didn't impact our day-to-day finances. In that account, I'm setting aside ~$4k as reserves for any expenses that come up, vacancies, etc. My plan is to apply any proceeds above and beyond this reserve threshold to the mortgage since it would be a guaranteed 4.75% return and could pay down the mortgage faster. Hopefully, I could have the mortgage paid off within 15-20 years so when a major repair is necessary (e.g. new roof) the property would be cash flowing closer to $1000/month instead.

ROI should be around 7-8% depending on where the rent falls in the above range assuming no appreciation on the property. Granted, this rate does not take into account vacancy or tenant placement fees (50% of one month's rent + $150 renewal fee). In my annual pro forma, I assume one month vacancy and a new tenant every year which would bring the ROI down to the 3-4% range before appreciation. I'm not sure on my exact closing costs so these percentages aren't nailed down yet.

I could increase the above numbers if I opted out of flood insurance (the home isn't in a flood zone) but I'm waffling on that a bit. The more I learn and the more research I do on RE investments the more I think that every property has to cash flow at least $300/month otherwise it'll never be profitable. Unfortunately, there is no easy money in the world...

Looking forward to any input from the BP forum!

1Reply
55 views

Most Popular Reply

Mary K.Pro Member
Investor · Ocala, FL · Member since 2015 · 157 posts · 88 votes
8y

Question for anyone. I'm in Ocala. Back in 2006/07 I lived in the Marion/Citrus county areas and construction companies built hundreds of houses for (mostly out of state) investors (who flooded the area, like now) who had the idea of renting them out.  Soon the supply of houses far exceeded the # of renters and by the bust in 2008, 100s of these houses sat empty, many going to foreclosure. Is anyone worried about the same happening again since we are seeing so much investor activity? Granted, I wasn't in Jacksonville then but I think this happened statewide.  Do you all feel the jobs/growth/economic numbers in Jacksonville look good enough long term? Or in Ocala?  I myself am cautious about buying too much where lots of investors are jumping in (since history often repeats itself) but would like to hear everyone's thoughts. 

See this reply in the discussion

31 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2013 · 474 posts · 214 votes
    9y

    I don't know whether the rent # is realistic but if it is then I think you're OK. I don't really like HOAs but if it means you're in a desirable rental area then so be it. 

  • Canyon Country, CA · Member since 2016 · 24 posts · 9 votes
    9y
    Hey Brandon, I'm actually going through them too. Would love to read some more input.
  • Rental Property Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2016 · 52 posts · 48 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Juan Lozano:

    Hey Brandon, I'm actually going through them too. Would love to read some more input.

     Cool, glad to hear there is another person out there doing the same thing!  My property is still being built (target completion date is 3.15.17).  They advertise that they'll fill the properties within 30 days of completion but I'm very skeptical of that claim.  My assumption is that while the home will be completed in mid-March, it won't have a tenant in it until May.  I hope I'm wrong but March isn't a popular time to move if families have kids in school.  

    Is your property already completed?  What stage are you in the process?  I would love to connect and learn about what your experience has been so far.  

  • Investor/RE Broker · Eugene, OR · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 968 votes
    9y

    @Brandon H. Hi and welcome to BP as a poster!  You didn't mention what you paid for the house, but I wanted to challenge one of your assumptions.  I think it is a mistake not to include an estimate for maintenance for two years, even if the house is brand new.  I speak from experience with such a home in JAX, and can tell you it is almost certain there will be some repair necessary in that time frame, even if not a lot.  Be conservative and project over time.

  • Rental Property Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2016 · 52 posts · 48 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Larry Fried:

    @Brandon H. Hi and welcome to BP as a poster!  You didn't mention what you paid for the house, but I wanted to challenge one of your assumptions.  I think it is a mistake not to include an estimate for maintenance for two years, even if the house is brand new.  I speak from experience with such a home in JAX, and can tell you it is almost certain there will be some repair necessary in that time frame, even if not a lot.  Be conservative and project over time.

    Sorry, didn't mean to leave out that key detail.  Price for the property $165,320 and I'm putting 25% down.  

    Regarding the maintenance - good point.  When I initially analyzed the property I included 5% of the monthly rent as maintenance costs but then took it off my later calculations due to the home warranty.  As I mentioned in my original post, I am setting aside $4k as dedicated reserves (obviously I have a personal emergency fund that I could dip into if the worst happens).  

    How do other people budget maintenance?  Do you take the 5% (or whatever percentage you use) and then move it into a savings account monthly for whenever the next repair comes up?  

  • Investor/RE Broker · Eugene, OR · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 968 votes
    9y

    I calculate the percentage for soft costs into my projected returns.  With multiple properties I don't feel it necessary to set aside a specific amount for each property, but do keep some cash ready to cover anything that might come up that is unexpected.

  • Canton, MI · Member since 2016 · 112 posts · 47 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Brandon H.:
    Originally posted by @Juan Lozano:

    Hey Brandon, I'm actually going through them too. Would love to read some more input.

     Cool, glad to hear there is another person out there doing the same thing!  My property is still being built (target completion date is 3.15.17).  They advertise that they'll fill the properties within 30 days of completion but I'm very skeptical of that claim.  My assumption is that while the home will be completed in mid-March, it won't have a tenant in it until May.  I hope I'm wrong but March isn't a popular time to move if families have kids in school.  

    Is your property already completed?  What stage are you in the process?  I would love to connect and learn about what your experience has been so far.  

    Gentlemen,

    I am also in contract for property with Jax/Sun Coast PM. To be delivered by 3 rd week of May 2017. So far, the construction manager has been sending weekly updates and photos.

    @Brandon Hausauer:   How is your experience so far? Did u visit down there to see the property after it is completed? 

    Please share

  • Seattle, WA · Member since 2016 · 249 posts · 54 votes
    9y

    Just a note that you are below the 1% rule, i.e., $1395/165000 < 0.01

    What zip code is this property in? I have some properties in JAX so I can advise a bit.

  • Canton, MI · Member since 2016 · 112 posts · 47 votes
    9y
    32210 zip code
  • Seattle, WA · Member since 2016 · 249 posts · 54 votes
    9y
    32210 is good. I have 2 properties there currently managed by Suncoast. The area provides good cashflow. I bought one wholesale and another via the MLS My market analysis has seen around $800 to $1100 for a SFH from 3 bed or 4 bed. However these homes are built in the early 70s to 80s but are renovated. Are your properties inside the highway 295 loop or outside?
  • Canton, MI · Member since 2016 · 112 posts · 47 votes
    9y
    Thanks for the input.. appreciate it outside 295 loop.. how has been your experience with SunCoast Property Mgmt? I was looking at another PM - home encounter Please share how your experience with Jacksonville area rentals.. thanks!
  • Rental Property Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2016 · 52 posts · 48 votes
    9y

    I've had some hiccups with Suncoast up until this point (all very minor) but, since it's still fairly early, I'd like to reserve my judgement until we have some more time to see how the relationship unfolds.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2016 · 12 posts · 3 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Brandon H.:

    I've had some hiccups with Suncoast up until this point (all very minor) but, since it's still fairly early, I'd like to reserve my judgement until we have some more time to see how the relationship unfolds.  

     I'm in the process of firing suncoast. I gave them 6 units to manage. Problem I keep having is there is no clear breakdown of there fees, anytime my team questions anything we get passed on to someone else, person we then get passed too either forgets to respond to us or puts us on hold and never get back. Construction wise there subcontractors are good but I personally feel there's a huge gap in communication. I own around 25 units out in virginia and haven't ever had these kind of problems. 

  • Canton, MI · Member since 2016 · 112 posts · 47 votes
    9y
    Thanks for sharing.. How long were you with SunCoast? I am just starting with them now .. anything I need to watch out for? I had conversation with HomeEncounter (another PM) and had a chance to compare the terms .. Similar terms but not sure of their service quality..hope some BP'ers can chime in.. Please share..
  • Rental Property Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2016 · 12 posts · 3 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Sastry Srini:

    Thanks for sharing..

    How long were you with SunCoast?
    I am just starting with them now .. anything I need to watch out for?

    I had conversation with HomeEncounter (another PM) and had a chance to compare the terms ..
    Similar terms but not sure of their service quality..hope some BP'ers can chime in..

    Please share..

     Been with them for 5 months now. Don't sign any contract that'll lock you into a fixed period of time. 

  • Provo, UT · Member since 2015 · 31 posts · 11 votes
    8y

    @Brandon H. any updates on your experience with Suncoast PM?

  • Rental Property Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2016 · 52 posts · 48 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Tiffany Bishop:

    @Brandon H. any updates on your experience with Suncoast PM?

    Not much to update.  Things are on autopilot.  They are pretty autonomous and don't communicate much aside from the random notes in the weekly reports.  I haven't had any issues that are notable.  

  • Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2018 · 41 posts · 23 votes
    8y

    if anyone needs some boots on the ground to go look at things or take pictures of progress etc. I'm local here in Jax and don't mind. Gives me an excuse to drive around and look at property

  • Mary K.Pro Member
    Investor · Ocala, FL · Member since 2015 · 157 posts · 88 votes
    8y

    Question for anyone. I'm in Ocala. Back in 2006/07 I lived in the Marion/Citrus county areas and construction companies built hundreds of houses for (mostly out of state) investors (who flooded the area, like now) who had the idea of renting them out.  Soon the supply of houses far exceeded the # of renters and by the bust in 2008, 100s of these houses sat empty, many going to foreclosure. Is anyone worried about the same happening again since we are seeing so much investor activity? Granted, I wasn't in Jacksonville then but I think this happened statewide.  Do you all feel the jobs/growth/economic numbers in Jacksonville look good enough long term? Or in Ocala?  I myself am cautious about buying too much where lots of investors are jumping in (since history often repeats itself) but would like to hear everyone's thoughts. 

  • Brussels, Belgium · Member since 2014 · 52 posts · 22 votes
    8y

    Friends,

    I recently bought in JAX via Roofstock.  relatively good experience, and weighing whether to go that route again.  Personally I would prefer to have a team of folks on the ground and go my own route, but I am posted overseas, so there are limits on what I can do and willing to pay a premium (for now) on turnkey rather than having to rehab from a distance.  

    Right now I am in 32210 as well, right outside the beltway.

    I have been using Suncoast, and am pretty satisfied with them so far (about three months in).  Question, how were folks able to obtain their services without a term contract?  Just curious, as I am not looking to change and have no problems thus far.

    Regarding JAX, I like everything I have heard/seen and the numbers and analysis I have run.  Looking to expand sometime in the next 12-18 moths, and would love to speak with folks about off-market deals or any other investing ideas/partnerships folks can think of.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2008 · 784 posts · 528 votes
    8y
    David Epstein I am waiting on the market cycle. The courthouse steps properties are selling for more than their ARV. That’s not a good sign. I’m holding out for better prices. I can wait a couple of years. I don’t see a lot of good value now in Jacksonville.
  • Brussels, Belgium · Member since 2014 · 52 posts · 22 votes
    8y

    I hear what you are saying about future values.  I do not expect my next purchase to be in JAX, but you never know, especially if rising rates lead to a slump in prices.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Member since 2019 · 45 posts · 21 votes
    7y

    @Brandon H. Hows your purchase been going? Hopefully it's been uneventful. What rent were you able to achieve? Anything good/bad to say about suncoast? I'm considering a similar purchase.

  • Rental Property Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2016 · 52 posts · 48 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Josh Norell:

    @Brandon H. Hows your purchase been going? Hopefully it's been uneventful. What rent were you able to achieve? Anything good/bad to say about suncoast? I'm considering a similar purchase.

    Mostly uneventful. Rents have increased to $1476/month. Total hard expenses (mortgage, property taxes, insurance, HOA, property mgmt) are $1039; net ~$437/month in cash flow with almost 11% cash on cash return before vacancy and tenant placement fees.

    Suncoast has been marginal - I've had to do lots of hand-holding and following up about things because they seem incapable of handling them.  For example, they've been collecting the wrong rent for months now and communication on it has been nonexistent except for when I ask - I am unclear as to when they'll finally get it resolved.  Another example within the past year was where they charged me the wrong mgmt fees and it took over six months from my initial pointing out of the discrepancy until it was resolved - this one literally took over a dozen emails.  To be fair, every issue has been minor and a fairly small amount in terms of dollars but it has been a constant source of annoyance/frustration.  For this reason, I've had considerable pause with pursuing another investment to be managed by Suncoast and may or may not go with another one.  Unfortunately, it's hard to find good deals and even harder to find decent property mgmt companies.  

  • Rental Property Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2017 · 10 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    I have similar experience with Suncoast. They seem to rotate/lose people quite frequently. Simple email questions often get handled by 3+ different people.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.