FINISHED! Spec, New Construction Capo Beach.

FINISHED! Spec, New Construction Capo Beach.

Karen MargraveBusiness Member
Moderator
Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes

FINALLY!! For those of you that remember me, it's been quite some time ago that I posted on Investor Deal Diaries on the projects we had going in Orange County, CA (San Clemente, and Capo Beach - Dana Point) For those that don't know me, we build spec, new construction. 

I took those off of IDD forum because the projects took longer than anticipated due to a personal tragedy (my husband passed away last June). However; my son and I were able to push through and finish the projects, under the most challenging of circumstances, as we were a very tight knit family.  

The house in San Clemente on Calle Redondel sold for $1,625,000, which was a record for the area of San Clemente. Due to all that happened with my husband the added time span ate up much of our profits.

The house in Capistrano Beach just finished up, and is now on the market. Hopefully it sells quickly. It came out beautifully! It was designed by my son, Michael. 

Also finishing up, we have a duplex in San Clemente. We had originally planned to develop as condos, but were approached by buyers wanting it as a duplex, so we went that route. It's pre sold, and once it closes I will give more information on the deal. It had some creative financing partnering with another BP member! 

Here's a few more pics of the house, I have more on our website, but there's just too many to include them all, but this gives you the idea. 

Next up? I have a 4600 sq. ft.  house in Redding, CA, Shasta County on 20 acres that I need to decide on selling or leasing out again. Plus, we are looking for another project to start in coastal Orange County. 

Here's a few more photos of Capo Beach! I'm so proud of how well it came out. 

14Reply
35 views

Most Popular Reply

CA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
9y

@Karen Margrave

when is your own HGTV show start? good job.....

See this reply in the discussion

44 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Gorham, ME · Member since 2016 · 224 posts · 116 votes
    9y

    @Karen Margrave

    So sorry for your loss, but glad to hear you were able to overcome adversity and finish the projects.

    The Capistrano Beach house looks awesome!

    Best of luck in your future endeavors.  Keep us posted.

    Ed

  • Real Estate Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2016 · 940 posts · 695 votes
    9y

    @Karen Margrave - Super impressed with your work, but even more impressive is your dedication/motivation to finish the project after you lost your husband (so sorry about that).  

    Your son is super talented!  I want him to come design my house! :)

  • Orange County, CA · Member since 2016 · 33 posts · 13 votes
    9y

    Wow... congratulations on these projects and beautiful work! Very clean and crisp designs. Looking forward to your future success stories. 

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    9y

    Welcome back Karen, great job on these. Photos look superb!

    It appears we have very similar design desires. Was that a fleetwood door system? Likes exactly like my Beverly Hills one I did and I have also used the very same front door and other items you show off. Very nice.

    Again, sorry for your loss.

  • CA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Karen Margrave

    when is your own HGTV show start? good job.....

  • Karen MargraveBusiness Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y

    Thanks everyone! @Will Barnard the doors are La Cantina, each is 12' wide. Great minds :) 

  • Investor · Richmond, VA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    Absolutely love all the natural light in the kitchen/living room, that is beautiful!

  • Karen MargraveBusiness Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y

    @Lynn Currie @Jon Klaus  @J Scott  @Jay Hinrichs Thought I'd @mention you because I know you like modern style, and spec builds.  What are all of you working on? 

    @Jim Workman

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    9y

    Karen - I'm so, so sorry for your loss...I've missed you around here...  :(

    The house looks absolutely amazing.  Congratulations on the sale, and good luck with the Capistrano sale and the duplex!

  • Real Estate Agent · Tulsa, OK · Member since 2016 · 408 posts · 242 votes
    9y
    Holy cow! That looks amazing. Providing someone dream home right there
  • Mindy JensenPro Member
    BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host · Longmont, CO · Member since 2014 · 7k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    9y

    Hi @Karen Margrave. Nevermind my PM about pics of the finished product. Holy Cow this is gorgeous!!!

  • Real Estate Broker · Naples, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    9y

    AMAZING! Beautiful house. I wondered why I haven't see much of you on the site. I am truly sorry for your loss. Glad you and your son are close and can push forward and I am sure your husband would be happy knowing that. Best wishes Karen! BTW--I spent some time out there and Dana Point is beautiful. My moms twin lived in Pasadena (the Little Old Lady From Pasadena), her brother survives and lives in Arcadia, and they have property in Laguna Beach. My cousin is a RE broker. I always enjoyed visiting SoCal....and hopefully will be there this summer depending on...the usual things ...life sometimes gets in the way.

  • Professional · Redding, CA · Member since 2017 · 123 posts · 81 votes
    9y

    Very cool work. I would love to hear more about the home in Redding, my neck of the woods.

  • Investor · Alameda, CA · Member since 2012 · 47 posts · 10 votes
    9y

    So sorry to hear about your loss! what an inspiration to see you bring it all to finish line despite that!

    The house is stunning!

  • Pleasant Hill, CA · Member since 2017 · 11 posts · 3 votes
    9y

    @Karen Margrave that is a beautiful house!

    @Josh Cuthbertson I am from the Redding area also. I love the north state and I have been looking into investing there. Message me some time maby we can meet up and talk some real estate next time I'm up.

  • Sergey TkachevPro Member
    Investor, Agent, CPA · West Sacramento, CA · Member since 2009 · 690 posts · 262 votes
    9y

    @Karen Margrave - thank you so much for sharing and I am truly sorry for your loss!  Your son and I have similar stories in losing a dad and having to push forward despite a family tragedy.  Please accept our deepest condolences for your loss and huge respect for what you have done.  The house looks amazing!

  • Karen MargraveBusiness Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y

    @Tyler Kirk We live in Orange County but still have family and property in Redding. I did live in Pleasant Hill for a short period of time as a kid. Loved it. @Sergey Tkachev I hear Sacramento has a pretty good market again. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2016 · 96 posts · 26 votes
    9y

    That looks amazing.  Congrats!  

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2016 · 241 posts · 86 votes
    9y

    Nice work! tell me how do you buy your land? Buy that I mean at what percentage do you like to buy your land in relation to the buildout value.

  • Lender · San Diego, CA · Member since 2011 · 664 posts · 231 votes
    9y

    Beautiful home @Karen Margrave. I love what your son designed. Let me know when the open house is held; would love a walk through. So sorry for your loss. Can't even contemplate how I would handle something like that.

  • Realtor, Investor, Syndicator · Canyon Lake, CA · Member since 2015 · 6 posts · 4 votes
    9y

    Gorgeous @Karen Margrave. I love Capo Beach. My dad lived a couple of doors down from Hobie Alter when I was at San Diego State. I spent almost every weekend there. Special spot.  I am so sorry for your loss. 

  • Karen MargraveBusiness Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y

    @Bruce May Actually I have it listed with another agent, and she held open over the weekend, will probably do it again next week. 

  • Lender · San Diego, CA · Member since 2011 · 664 posts · 231 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Karen Margrave:

    @Bruce May Actually I have it listed with another agent, and she held open over the weekend, will probably do it again next week. 

     Maybe I can get up there to see it... but then again, I'd like to meet you in person one day too.

  • Streamwood, IL · Member since 2017 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    Kudos to you!  It is simply stunning!   So beautiful!  May God give you peace in knowing your husband was helping all of you from his new home in Heaven!  Keep your faith strong and may you and your family be blessed each and every day!  You are loved!  Dana

  • Real Estate Agent · Mesa, AZ · Member since 2015 · 44 posts · 6 votes
    9y

    Whoa. Beautiful, what an amazing job. Sorry to hear about your loss.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.