First Rental Property!

First Rental Property!

Lynchburg, VA · Member since 2017 · 61 posts · 41 votes

I am very excited to announce that I have bought my first rental property! It is a 4-plex in Lynchburg VA in a great part of the city. Details are listed below:

All units 2 bed, 1 bath 950 sqft

Purchase Price: $198,000

ARV: $215,000

Down payment: $49,500 (25%)

Closing Costs: $6,000 (Sellers paying $3,000)

Equity: $66,500

30-year 4.7%

P & I (Includes Property tax and Insurance): $1,005

Rents: $2,600 ($650 x 4)

Water: Tenant pays

Electricity: Tenant pays

Garbage: $100

Mowing: $60

Vacancy: $100 (4%)

Maintenance: $125 (5%)

Cap Ex: $175 (7%)

Property Management: $250 (10%)

Total Expenses: $1,815

Cash Flow: $785/mo

Cash on Cash ROI: 18%

 Sure, I didn't absolutely crush it here, but the numbers are totally solid and this property appreciates at an average of 4% per year. Plan is to refinance property in 6-12 months and bring out $25,000 of equity to apply towards another property. Sure it will decrease cash flow a little bit by refinancing but we will be able to build a lot faster this way. I am so blessed by the mentors I have and the amount of knowledge and wisdom there is out there for the taking on BiggerPockets.

10Reply
72 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Catonsville MD · Member since 2015 · 135 posts · 44 votes
9y

Looks like a great purchase to me! We bought our first investment property last year a  condo in Lynchburg that we rent to a young professional and we are hoping to buy another one this year. Both my daughters live in Lynchburg. We are focusing on renting to Liberty students.  

See this reply in the discussion

43 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Marlon FongPro Member
    BiggerPockets Support · Bridge City, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 367 votes
    9y

    Congratulations @Drew Bonner! Keep it up! 

    BiggerPockets
  • Real Estate Agent · Hampton, VA · Member since 2017 · 88 posts · 24 votes
    9y

    Congrats!! 

  • Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2014 · 22 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    Congrats! Planning on renting to Liberty students?

  • Lynchburg, VA · Member since 2017 · 61 posts · 41 votes
    9y

    Thank you guys! @David D'Louhy Not in this particular property but definitely on future purchases. This property is about 7 miles from the University. All of the units have a one year lease in place with no Liberty students in them as of now. I actually live in Nashville TN right now but am moving to Lynchburg first week of August. My father in law and me are starting up a buy and hold investing business. He is a physician in the ER in Gretna. Looking forward to getting up there! Once I am moved and settled in, we should get some coffee or lunch sometime.

  • Sacramento, CA · Member since 2016 · 32 posts · 15 votes
    9y

    Congratulations!! I always love to hear stories from investors that purchased their first property. Best of luck!

  • Lynchburg, VA · Member since 2017 · 61 posts · 41 votes
    9y

    Thank you @Thanh Nguyen!

  • Rental Property Investor · Catonsville MD · Member since 2015 · 135 posts · 44 votes
    9y

    Looks like a great purchase to me! We bought our first investment property last year a  condo in Lynchburg that we rent to a young professional and we are hoping to buy another one this year. Both my daughters live in Lynchburg. We are focusing on renting to Liberty students.  

  • San Jacinto, CA · Member since 2017 · 1 post · 0 votes
    9y

    Congrats..

  • Norcross, GA · Member since 2016 · 29 posts · 12 votes
    9y

    Some great numbers up there, congrats on your 1st property Drew!!! Might I ask your method of obtaining the needed capital for your 25% down payment? As I am in the process of saving up in preparation of purchasing my first income property @Drew Bonner

  • Lynchburg, VA · Member since 2017 · 61 posts · 41 votes
    9y
    Folashadé Shelton thank you very much! So I myself am contributing $25,000 of savings and my father in law (partner) is contributing $25,000 as well.
  • Norcross, GA · Member since 2016 · 29 posts · 12 votes
    9y

    Great stuff!!! Keep pushing!!

  • Jerusalem, Israel · Member since 2015 · 144 posts · 14 votes
    9y
    Good work! Are you planning on renting to students? Were you familiar with the area before the deal?
  • Lynchburg, VA · Member since 2017 · 61 posts · 41 votes
    9y
    Guyoz Golan thank you! Renting to students is always in the back of our mind, just not on this particular property. I have been researching the market in Lynchburg for a while now, along with my father in law. The 4-plex is in a great area of Lynchburg. In a neighborhood filled with other duplexes and 4-plexes.
  • Rental Property Investor · Catonsville MD · Member since 2015 · 135 posts · 44 votes
    9y

    Did you find it on the MLS?

  • Lynchburg, VA · Member since 2017 · 61 posts · 41 votes
    9y
    Laura Tokgozoglu Our agent set us up with a portal to the MLS in Lynchburg. Any property that meets our criteria is directly sent to our phone by email.
  • Jerome MorelosPro Member
    Redlands, CA · Member since 2017 · 205 posts · 88 votes
    9y
    Congratulations!
  • Homeowner · Bridgeport, PA · Member since 2017 · 7 posts · 3 votes
    9y
    Congratulations Drew! Great find. Are you planning to do any rehab to the property before renting it out? Also how did you go about finding a good real estate agent while out of state?
  • Lynchburg, VA · Member since 2017 · 61 posts · 41 votes
    9y
    Bradley​ Lobo The property is pretty much in great condition really! Probably needs the roof replaced in 5-6 years but that is the only thing we saw from the inspection. I called many different agents (probably 7 or 8) and talked with them on the phone, kind of feeling them out a little bit and telling them our business plan and goals and finally found one that I felt was a great fit for our plan and he has been great so far! Really works with a sense of urgency.
  • Rental Property Investor · Lafayette, IN · Member since 2016 · 5 posts · 3 votes
    9y
    Way to get on the board with your first property!
  • Lender · Schaumburg, IL · Member since 2017 · 1 post · 1 vote
    9y
    Congrats on you first acquisition, you are off to a great start.
  • Lynchburg, VA · Member since 2017 · 61 posts · 41 votes
    9y
    Thank you guys! I really appreciate it.
  • Homeowner · Bridgeport, PA · Member since 2017 · 7 posts · 3 votes
    9y
    @Drew Bonner That's great! Keep up the good work
  • Visalia-Fresno, CA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 863 votes
    9y

    @Drew Bonner

    Congrats.  Most people will die old in a corner with a blanket.

    Keep the momentum.


    Franklin

  • Surveyor · Hemet, CA · Member since 2015 · 797 posts · 112 votes
    9y

    Drew. Great story I am getting ready to do a 1031 exchange and will be looking at multi family's as well may even start with a duplex or two. Suggestions?

  • Lynchburg, VA · Member since 2017 · 61 posts · 41 votes
    9y
    Thank you! Robin Boyer I guess my biggest advice would be a couple things: 1) do not try and make numbers work, they either work or they do not. Real Estate is a numbers game. 2) You will know you have got a good deal on a property when you make 10 or more offers and 1 of them gets accepted. My 4-plex was like the 7th or 8th property I brought to my agents attention and I probably analyzed over 50 over the last couple of weeks before I decided to make an offer on this one. My last suggestion would be this. It's okay to pay full price for a property. If the numbers work at full price then they work. The list price of the duplex was listed at $200,000 and I offered $198,000. Seems high right? But it cash flows almost $800 at $198,000 and there were 2 other offers on the table besides mine. Mine was a higher offer so the property was mine. I hope the 1031 exchange works out for you bud! Hope all goes well with your real estate journey.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.