Rentals v Land contracts

Rentals v Land contracts

Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 20 posts · 7 votes

So many people love rental properties and even though I like the monthly income I don't like being bothered with the overhead. When I think about after you pay the mortgage, insurance, taxes, plus maintenance you have little left, unless you have a muiltiunit and even still you have to deal with screening tenants, repairs, complaints, etc. So I came up with a plan and this may not work for everyone. So for example, I have a contract on a single family home for $6,500 and close in 30 days and I already have a candidate for sale. So I buy the property for $6,500 and then put it up for sale with lease/option to buy for $19,000 bad credit no problem. I have someone already interested so the deal is that I get $5,000 down and $1,000 a month for the remainder balance of $14,000 for 14 months. The trick is I recouped most of my money of front, I did nothing to the property, and I'm collecting $1,000 a month. Buyer is responsible for everything, repairs, taxes, insurance, bills, everything and it's a part of the contract to keep everything current and in good standing including building codes and or violations which must be done in an orderly fashion. After a years time I will have maybe 5 to 7 more properties collecting a total of 6 to 8 grand month plus I haven't really spent anything because after every sale 2 to 3 months later I recoup my money on every deal. I target distressed neighborhoods where I can find good deals and sell them on contract helping someone become a property owner who probably has no other means of doing so or just appreciate the process being less frightening than the traditional banks. Hello BP family what do you think, feed back please.

1Reply
96 views

Most Popular Reply

Brandon SturgillBusiness Member
Real Estate Broker · Columbus, OH · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
9y

@Alexander B. you are in the one of the most expensive cities in the Midwest...if not the US, and you are buying properties at $6k...where? 

#1- Being an investor is a customer service industry. We provide safe, clean, affordable housing...then we reap the tax benefits of being investors...your plan is really hustling and pretty shady...

#2- Why would you need 30-days to close a $6k property.

#3- SFR is a silly way to make money and there are less people in the industry that have done it then have failed.

#4- $5k down on a $19k house is unrealistic...and then you have a $14k option...what does that do?...

#5- $1k a month is unrealistic for this asset class...won't happen

Not being a dick, but I think you need to go back to the drawing board...happy to have a conversation about this.

Realize Multifamily Group11 Review
View Page
See this reply in the discussion

29 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Brandon SturgillBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Columbus, OH · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Alexander B. you are in the one of the most expensive cities in the Midwest...if not the US, and you are buying properties at $6k...where? 

    #1- Being an investor is a customer service industry. We provide safe, clean, affordable housing...then we reap the tax benefits of being investors...your plan is really hustling and pretty shady...

    #2- Why would you need 30-days to close a $6k property.

    #3- SFR is a silly way to make money and there are less people in the industry that have done it then have failed.

    #4- $5k down on a $19k house is unrealistic...and then you have a $14k option...what does that do?...

    #5- $1k a month is unrealistic for this asset class...won't happen

    Not being a dick, but I think you need to go back to the drawing board...happy to have a conversation about this.

    Realize Multifamily Group11 Review
    View Page
  • Investor/Landlord · Farmington Hills, MI · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    Have a conversation with a lawyer regarding the Dodd-Frank Act, the SAFE Act, and the predatory lending laws in your area before you attempt this. Your plan could land you in a world of hurt and, frankly, it probably should.

  • Surveyor · Hemet, CA · Member since 2015 · 797 posts · 112 votes
    9y

    They are paying 19k because they have no credit? Yikes to me seems not everyone go for the prices but I am a newbie. What kind of investing have you done before?

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 20 posts · 7 votes
    9y

    Well Mr Brandon S. first just because this idea maybe too savy for you maybe you should ask questions before tou started some strategies maybe out of your league but now put your skills where you mouth is and let me not mention this may be my 10th contract Ive done like this through an attorney but if can prove i have a contract for under $7,000 I want you to pay for and get off bigger pockets forever this is suppose to be a forum for help not for people who makes there self silly commenting in things they dont understand now unless you accept my challenge dont say anything else

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 20 posts · 7 votes
    9y

    All I thought I was doing is sharing an investment idea but dont assume im using shady practices until you fully understand the deal, and every deal is different, just because your experience and understanding is limited dont misjudge mine

  • Rental Property Investor · Meeker, OK · Member since 2017 · 48 posts · 26 votes
    9y

    If you have legit deals than more power to you for that kind of ROI, but it does seem a bit predatory in fashion. I've got a home on a lease to own with a $5,000 non refundable down payment, but it is applied to the purchase price of $125,000. As, @Jeff Rabinowitz said, I'd make sure you are talking to a reputable lawyer before proceeding. 

    Good luck! 

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 20 posts · 7 votes
    9y

    Its as simple as this i go on auction.com find a house in a neighborhood i know that has value for around 40 to 50 thousand but the neighborhood is less desirable so nobody really wants it and the bank is tired of holding it. So they accept my winning bid of $6,500 i turn around sell it on contract for $19,000, $5,000 down and $1,000 a month 0% interest. Thats really no money because it spread out over months like rent to own. I bet if i told everyone i win properties worth over 30 thousand at a tax sale auction for $250 they would something was wrong with that as well. You never know what is possible unitl you do the correct research. I just like this forum and im just sharing info its up to you to research it and see if it can help you or not. My point was not to focus on the profit but to focus on how a lease to own contract set up correctly can earn your more money with less liability then renting thats all and again thats just my opinion. So dont let the negative make you lose sight on the main focus you can set your payment arrangment up how ever you like it doesnt have to be like mines at all and I arrange all my deals through an attorney so that i am protected.

  • Josh C.Pro Member
    Property Manager · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y
    I see this done in my town. Selling homes at 14% interest for $50k that were bought at tax sale for 10k and never touched. It's taking advantage of low income people in most cases the houses get returned to the seller for them to resell after the poor buyer is out all their time and money trying to fix it up. Just because it makes money doesn't make it savvy. Selling drugs isn't savvy.
  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 20 posts · 7 votes
    9y

    You know what I think Im going to stop posting the ignorant messages is getting out if hand and of topic. Josh maybe you are a drug dealer I don't know but certainly your post has nothing to do with the topic and by the way pure ignorance isn't savvy either

  • Surveyor · Hemet, CA · Member since 2015 · 797 posts · 112 votes
    9y

    I am not trying to be rude but in my opinion I am gathering that people may think other people are getting taken advantage of? What do you guys think. That's a lot of return. Amazed at prices that low. I can buy blocks lol.

  • Surveyor · Hemet, CA · Member since 2015 · 797 posts · 112 votes
    9y

    @Alexander B. i'm also interested in doing this rent to own seems better returns a lot better. I'm in the same boat but man those are some big returns! So maybe it's all good let's hear what bigger pockets has to say let's give the members a chance there is a lot of good help here. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Meeker, OK · Member since 2017 · 48 posts · 26 votes
    9y
    I am not trying to be rude, as I said I currently have a lease to own property. If done correctly it's a win/win for both parties. I bought mine cheap. $35k for 3bd 2ba 1700sf on 2 acres. I put about $20k into it. Was my personal residence for about 6yrs. Now I operate it as a lease to own. I've had two tenants. One moved out on her own accord due to financial problems. She lost her down payment, as it was non refundable and only put toward the purchase price upon exercising her option to buy. I did not go after her for breaking the lease. I simply put it back on the market, and did it again just weeks later. New tenants have been in for a few months, but I've had some maintenance issues pop up all at once. In the future I am going to be more detailed in my lease agreement on who is responsible for what. I read an article where the tenants were responsible for the first $ amount of any repair, after that amount the landlord paid the rest. I liked the way they had it structured, because tenants are more apt to report the issues instead of letting a minor issue become a big issue. It allows the landlord to maintain the integrity of the home in the event the tenant does not purchase the property, but still puts the tenant responsible for a portion if not all of the repair depending on the extent of the damage.
  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 20 posts · 7 votes
    9y

    All returns wont be the same and of course the properties I find again are vacant forclosures on a auction that most investors may not want because of the area. The most I spend on those kinda of deals range from 12 to 20 thousand, and sometimes depending on the area those 6 to 9 thousand deals happen go on auction.com check it yourself they may have something in your area. Look for properties with a starting of $2,500 or less you would be surprised. And check with your county clerks office and ask about property tax sales you will get property even cheaper.

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 20 posts · 7 votes
    9y

    @Raymond the deal you purchased at $35 then added another $20 is a great example because how i would have structured your deal was simply buying it for $35 and not spend another dime. Depending on the market values in you area, lets say the fair market value in your area after repairs is at least $100,000 it gives you room to sell it asis for lets say $60,000, you accept a down payment of $7,500, you have to figure out what fair monthly payments you are willing to accept I figure about a $1,000 at 0% interest is easier but in that area you would have to figure out whats best for you considering the area. And it is even good to considering the refinance at the very beginning excuting your exit strategy from the start by encouraging your buyer to talk to a loan officer about what they may need to make sure they will be ready for the loan. This is why you make your terms undesirable, it is to encourage the buyer to refi as quickly as possible. By putting them on land contract and allow them to put their on $20 grand into it leaving them room for equity after their investment again if it appraises over $100,000 after repairs. Guess what you get more money in advance, you have no liablity because the buyer will be responsible for everything, and you just helped the buyer make an investmnet because now they have purchased a piece of property that has equity so now they can refinance because now they have an asset. 

    But this was just an example I understand you put $20 in because you lived there for awhile.

  • Surveyor · Hemet, CA · Member since 2015 · 797 posts · 112 votes
    9y

    @Alexander B. I just got home from meeting some lenders and escrow agent and realitor.  The lender said it's better to rent instead of this method.  I I also talk to a broker about this and they said well the thing is that these people have bad credit and or possibly unreliable.  So they said it's kinda risky but if you got that chunk of money up front I guess it's way better. Like my driver told me unreliable  people that's in every business

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 20 posts · 7 votes
    9y

    @Robin Boyer Very true Robin as a buyer its not the best deal. It is designed to protect the sellers investment. It is very risky because normally its for people with bad credit, or low income and they may family members or friends helping them obtain the property. So, because of those reasons the contract is designed to help and the buyer obtain the property and also protect the seller. In my opinion and its just my opinion, when you rent you have the rent you collect minus insurance, maintenance, property taxes, possibly a water bill, and any other problems that may occur during the time of the rental. With the land contract you have the contact payment minus nothing, buyer is responsible for everything. But I am not pushing my idea just explaining my theory. Thanks for your feed back

  • Surveyor · Hemet, CA · Member since 2015 · 797 posts · 112 votes
    9y

    @Alexander B.  some of us investors were curious about pictures or maybe some sightings of houses in that price market range. That's very affordable real estate!

  • Surveyor · Hemet, CA · Member since 2015 · 797 posts · 112 votes
    9y

    I just looked online and to my surprise there is all kinds of homes in Chicago from 5k to 25k. Amazing!! I'd love to go back up there fix up a house.

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 20 posts · 7 votes
    9y

    @Robin Boyer you go Rob finaly someone with some sense, their own brain, but dont forget Robin check with your county or any county about buying outstanding property taxes, always look beyond the common way of real estate investing thats how you win. 

  • Surveyor · Hemet, CA · Member since 2015 · 797 posts · 112 votes
    9y

    @Alexander B. can't wait to make our first purchase I am finding foreclosures in my town for 100k still!  They can't rent from 1k to 1500 a month depending on size.

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 20 posts · 7 votes
    9y

    @ Robin Boyer good luck buddy and my golden rule never buy or sale anything without a real estate attorney and make sure they are knowledgeable and wiiling to explain things to you.

  • Surveyor · Hemet, CA · Member since 2015 · 797 posts · 112 votes
    9y

    @Alexander B. thank you! I have been bit by the real estate but I been meeting people going to my first big real estate meeting this month.  I wanted to bump this thread I just spoke with my 1031 guy and we have the option to excercise this strategy after I talk to my attorney as well.  The only thing I can think of is the rent raises you will or could of collected and those rents added up when people move in and out and the market is hot sometimes you can raise the rent. 250! So i need to think about this option more although a nice role of cash sounds nice!

  • Surveyor · Hemet, CA · Member since 2015 · 797 posts · 112 votes
    9y

    how much would the down payment be doing it this way if the house after repair value was 100,000? I just bumped another Chicago investing thread has me interested in Chicago! The guy got a house out the door for 30k then fixed it and could sell for like a 30 to 40 profit after repair value!

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 16 posts · 1 vote
    9y
    So with land contract property does not have to be in live able condition for the tenant? What if roof is torn down and leaking (which is the case for most of those cheap houses)? Who would look at that and be ok dropping 5k dpmt an fix roof and pay rent. With that kinda money you are near luxury living monthly out of pocket pmt. One more thing, even if roof is good (besides other necessary household utilities) 5k down pmt is a significant number for anyone ok living in 10k house neighborhoods. Question is how are you going to find those buyers who have 5k down pmt in cash and want to live in such areas? Appreciate you bringing up this topic for discussion but I don't see this as a sustainable model with growth potential.
  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 20 posts · 7 votes
    9y

    @Mohammad Alabsy Hello thanks for your post to answer your question these types of deal are geared towards people wgo may have some but not the credentials for a typical loan so they but it with the intention of fixing it up to either move in, sell, or refinanace, waht ever the case may be it has to be an idea thats works for them. That type of deposit is necessary to attracr clients with capital. Remember they need to do repairs to the property so you dont to waste your time with someone who cant afford the project.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.