How we went from 0-72 units in 4 years

How we went from 0-72 units in 4 years

Multifamily Syndicator · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 127 posts · 247 votes

A couple of weeks ago, I shared a success story celebrating the fact that I quit my job and closed on a 202-unit the same day. A big reason I was able to do that was the fact we had built a 72-unit portfolio over the past 4 years. In the week after that post, I received lots of questions and messages asking about how we were able to build our portfolio to that point.

Today, I wanted to share our process in a step-by-step guide for going from 0-72 units and highlight the biggest factors that I believe allowed us to scale a business that now generates nearly $20,000 a month in passive income.

1) Start with a nest egg

I know this seems obvious, but do whatever you have to do in order to find, create or save enough capital to buy that first property. In our case, we generated investment capital by selling my bachelor pad (a condo I owned) after I got married, and my brother’s house (after he relocated). The proceeds from those sales, about $200k, were invested into a duplex, a fourplex and several single family homes in foreclosure all within 3 months of each other. Having that working capital certainly started us out in a good direction rather quickly.

2) Force appreciation

In BP lexicon, this is the BRRRR strategy. I think it's simply the greatest thing about investing in anything 2 or more units, and a main driver why we've started our new company to focus on Value Add investing in larger apartments.

The first duplex we bought was a 2bd/1ba on each side with a garage. When we purchased it, we enclosed each garage to create a 3rd bedroom on each side, and completely renovated the kitchen, flooring and bathroom. We had $225k total invested in the property, and two years later were able to refinance all of our capital out of that property to fuel more acquisitions. We did this on several other properties as well, and once we proved the increased NOI, were able to realize a tremendous amount of equity.

3) Buy in an appreciating area

The fastest way to generate wealth in Real Estate is appreciation, and not all of it has to be forced. Buying in the right market at the right time and letting natural appreciation occur is a beautiful thing. Monthly cash flow is awesome, but it is not the best accelerator to growing your business and portfolio.

We have certainly benefited from the explosive growth and appreciation in Austin and San Antonio, and would be lying if we didn’t credit the market for some of our success. But we also bought strategically in neighborhoods I felt provided excellent appreciation potential in the short term. We stayed away from some opportunities that provided excellent cash flow, but were located in rural areas that I didn’t think would appreciate as quickly. We have a rule that we only buy assets that cash flow from Day 1, but always look in areas that have a strong potential for accelerated appreciation. If you are investing in a slow growth area of the country, it is going to take you a lot longer to grow and build a portfolio.

4) Buy in your personal name

There is always a lot of chatter on BP about whether to invest via an LLC or not. We have purchased everything to date in our personal names so that we can take advantage of 30-year fixed rate loans. You can get up to 10 personal loans via Fannie Mae & Freddie Mac, and I suggest you take advantage of all of them. Some mortgage brokers will struggle to help you past 3-4 loans--and you'll pay a marginally higher interest rate--but keep working to find one that can get you all the way to ten. Between my brother and I, that was 20 loans we could get with 30-year loans averaging 4.5%.

This was important for us as we focused on generating cash flow (as you’ll see in the next step). It also allowed us to stretch for a couple properties that wouldn’t cash flow on a 20- or 25-year amortization schedule, but were going to be great appreciating assets.

To combat our legal risk, we put a high cap on the liability insurance of each property, and put an umbrella policy in place. Eventually we've moved the properties into an LLC, but if we had started that route and been limited in our financing options, we never would have gotten where we are so quickly.

5) Reinvest the cash flow

Sometimes this seems so obvious, yet many people don’t do it. They get a few hundred or a few thousand extra dollars coming in every month, and they start to expand their lifestyle or splurge a little too often. All of a sudden, that cash flow they’ve created is now needed to support new spending habits—and its not helping grow their business or portfolio.

We set up new accounts at a separate bank from our personal accounts to keep a clear distinction between the two, and eliminate the temptation of spending money from the rentals.

When we had saved enough cash flow to afford a down payment on the next property, we’d start shopping again. As our portfolio grew, the snowball effect took over and the time between acquisitions got shorter and shorter.

6) Manage the property yourself

From the onset, we managed our properties ourselves. At first, we had no clue what we were doing—but we learned as we went. We went this route for two reasons.

a.To save money. When you’re trying to grow your portfolio, keeping 8% of our revenues in our bank accounts really added up.

b.To learn the business. We entered this business knowing it was just that—a business. By managing our portfolio, we were able to learn the business much faster than if we turned everything over to a manger Day 1.

7) Get comfortable being broke and taking risks

For us, this manifested itself in two ways. First, we really cut back on as many expenses as we could, to send more money over to our real estate business to fuel more growth. So many people preach living below your means—but it works. When we got a bonus at work, we’d deposit it into our real estate account. When there was money left over at the end of the month, we’d transfer that over too.

Second, there were several times when we invested all of our savings to buy the next property. It was not a comfortable feeling to see less than $5,000 total across all your accounts, but a couple months later we had our cash reserves built back up and were collecting more rents with the new addition. Thing snowballed faster and faster, and the accounts grew faster with each acquisition.

8) Eliminate fear

When we bought our first investment property, Gary Keller’s The Millionaire Real Estate Investor was the entirety of our experience, and we really didn’t know what we were doing. We had a great friend and realtor who assured us these first few properties were going to cash flow, and we jumped in.

I remember pulling up to the first property after we closed on it, and having butterflies in my stomach as I walked up to introduce myself to the new tenants. Every step of this journey has stretched us, challenged us and taught us new things. Today, I stand here less than three weeks after quitting my job to focus on real estate full-time—and its not the most comfortable feeling. But, I’m not scared of it and have learned to eliminate the fear.

There you have it. These 8 steps have been the most critical in growing our portfolio from 0-72 unit in four years. A year from now, when we cross the 1,000 unit threshold in apartments, I look forward to sharing those steps. 

34Reply
76 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Saint Louis, MO · Member since 2017 · 397 posts · 469 votes
9y

Thank you for sharing, @Andrew Campbell! I just posted last night about closing on my first deal (a 4-family in St. Louis). Your 1st and 4th points were critical for me in getting this first property, and I'll be putting your 5th point to use by investing the $500+ in monthly cash flow (after all expenses) into my next purchase. I still have a good amount of cash saved, so I'm hoping that purchase is only a few months away.

Looking forward to more updates on your progress. Great post!!

See this reply in the discussion

29 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2013 · 476 posts · 294 votes
    9y

    @Andrew Campbell  So much truth to this post.  Big hitters are managing (or sacrificing) lifestyle creep, even when you can easily afford it in order to further fuel growth.

    Great post.

  • Rental Property Investor · Saint Louis, MO · Member since 2017 · 397 posts · 469 votes
    9y

    Thank you for sharing, @Andrew Campbell! I just posted last night about closing on my first deal (a 4-family in St. Louis). Your 1st and 4th points were critical for me in getting this first property, and I'll be putting your 5th point to use by investing the $500+ in monthly cash flow (after all expenses) into my next purchase. I still have a good amount of cash saved, so I'm hoping that purchase is only a few months away.

    Looking forward to more updates on your progress. Great post!!

  • Real Estate Investor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2016 · 143 posts · 167 votes
    9y
    Andrew Campbell awesome post! Thanks for sharing your insight and your experience!
  • Real Estate Investor · Cedar Park, TX · Member since 2016 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    9y
    Great stuff!!! Thanks for sharing! My wife and I started investing about 8 months ago in the Austin market. Multi-family holds are high on our long term goals.
  • Forney, TX · Member since 2013 · 119 posts · 101 votes
    9y

    Thanks Andrew!

    Very nice!  Your points are well taken.  

  • Real Estate Broker · Portland, OR · Member since 2015 · 201 posts · 98 votes
    9y

    @Andrew Campbell great post. Thank you for sharing your strategy that got you to this point. I can back up this strategy as it's basically what I'm doing but with a less appreciating city and I invest out of my area. Keep up the good work! I'll have to go check out your post on the 200 unit now.

  • Brooklyn, MD · Member since 2016 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    Great post and great job.  I am looking to get my first multi-unit property very soon.  If you have any advise in reference the Maryland area I would love to hear it.  thanks 

  • Real Estate Broker · Temecula, CA · Member since 2014 · 992 posts · 782 votes
    9y

    What did you do once you got to the 10 loan limit?  I seem to be stuck there paying acash...

  • Multifamily Syndicator · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 127 posts · 247 votes
    9y

    Thanks everyone for the encouragement. 

    @Shawn Madison- Sorry I don't know anything about the Maryland area.  My focus has been Texas, where I grew up and live, and where jobs and population keep showing strong growth. 

    @Christine Kankowski--Once you hit the 10 loan limit, you're looking at commercial loans--whether its a 2-unit or a 200-unit.  We've opted to look at the bigger deals, and are sponsoring large multi-family acquisitions.  We closed on our first (the link I posted at the top of the thread) a few weeks ago and are now looking for the next one.  For us, it just made sense to go bigger and execute the same business strategy on a larger scale. 

  • NaTarrio JonesPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · League City, TX · Member since 2016 · 97 posts · 32 votes
    9y
    Andrew Campbell Thanks for sharing. I'm in those beginning stages now. I saved up enough capital to buy my first Duplex in April. The rehab has just been completed and I'm now in the screening process. Managing that initial fear of the unknown has been critical in moving forward towards my goal. I can imagine with time and experience the process will become less frightened.
  • Brian GarrettPro Member
    Westminster, CO · Member since 2016 · 68 posts · 22 votes
    9y

    This is definitely my path.  I hope to be where you're at in four years or less.  :)

  • Tampa, FL · Member since 2014 · 169 posts · 164 votes
    9y

    Great post! Thank you.

  • Surveyor · Hemet, CA · Member since 2015 · 797 posts · 112 votes
    9y

    @Andrew Campbell this a great thread! I am preparing myself to make some big moves in real estate maybe I can reach out to you for advice if it all possible! Can even exchange free vacation time at our San Diego vacation unit! Haha

  • Multifamily Syndicator · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 127 posts · 247 votes
    9y

    @Robin Boyer  I'd love to connect and happy to help however I can.  

  • Surveyor · Hemet, CA · Member since 2015 · 797 posts · 112 votes
    9y

    @Andrew Campbell thank you so much andrew there is lot of great info and people here hard to pick who to ask haha. What would be a good day and time maybe I can give you a buzz. I am looking into getting into apartments as well.

  • Coal City, IL · Member since 2017 · 34 posts · 14 votes
    9y
    Great information and very inspirational! Congratulations my friend!
  • Brian GarrettPro Member
    Westminster, CO · Member since 2016 · 68 posts · 22 votes
    9y

    Andrew - if you have time I have a few questions that I would like to ask.

    Thanks,

    Brian

  • Multifamily Syndicator · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 127 posts · 247 votes
    9y

    @Robin Boyer @Brian Garrett  Send me an email or a DM here and we can figure out a time to connect!  Look forward to it!

  • Financial Advisor · Gainesville, FL · Member since 2016 · 12 posts · 8 votes
    9y

    Thank you @Andrew Campbell! As a newbie this is very helpful information, especially about "Eliminating fear"! I actually just finished listening to the Millionaire Real Estate Investor! Great book! I hope next time I reach out to you is to tell you about our first rental property my husband and I just bought! Best luck to you and your family!

  • Multifamily Syndicator · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 127 posts · 247 votes
    9y

    @Karina Woodward Such a great book!

    If I can help you in anyway, let me know.  I look forward to reading your first success story soon!

  • Investor · Bridgeville, PA · Member since 2017 · 26 posts · 15 votes
    9y

    @Andrew Campbell Thank you for taking the time to explain how you got to where you are!

    How did you go about adding value? Did you do the work yourself or hire contractors and prepare a line item budget for them to follow?

  • Multifamily Syndicator · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 127 posts · 247 votes
    9y

    @David Graham  You're welcome!  Hope its helpful. 

    I've always hired a contractor to do the work.  Construction isn't my strong suit, and I was working full time.  I'd set the budget and help make selections, then just stop in to check on the work and make sure we're keeping to the schedule. 

  • Financial Advisor · Gainesville, FL · Member since 2016 · 12 posts · 8 votes
    9y

    Thank you

    @Andrew Campbellundefined for your reply and offering your help!. I read the article again, and my husband and I definitely can resonate with a lot of the good information. As we get more knowledgeable in our research, we are a lot on the same page. However, I think where we could use help right now is how to go about to fund our next property. On a nutshell, currently we own a house and our plan is to buy another house around the same neighborhood and rent our current house, as we think we can get a good cash flow (hopefully about $400-$500). The next strategy is how to finance for that second home - we debate weather to do a 5% or 20% down, of course a 5% is more doable (we have savings), and a 20% takes too long to save for. Right now we some banks and contacts we would like to check out to see what kind of funding would be available to us!  Any advice or input would be greatly appreciate it; and thank you in advanced for taking the time to read my message!

  • Cary, NC · Member since 2014 · 16 posts · 4 votes
    9y

    Hi Andrew,

    I really appreciate you taking your time and posting this really am interesting read. I have been following the same steps as you have and sometimes with family and full time job, it becomes challenging. However, I completed my 9th purchase this week; my average cash flow is $400 a month and 26% cash on cash return on each property.

    However, as I get ready for the 10th purchase, I am worried about commercial loans. I don't want to refinance my existing properties as I got them under 4.5% interest rate; furthermore, I am not sure which bank to deal with, the interest rates, points, reoccurring closing costs etc.

    What would you do? and how would you transition to the 11th plus property? 

    Regards,

    Hamid

  • Rental Property Investor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2017 · 25 posts · 9 votes
    9y

    @Andrew Campbell very inspiring!!! Im very close on getting my first multifamily. Im from San Antonio, what neighborhoods do you recommend to invest in?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.