I’m stuck at my current position

I’m stuck at my current position

Real Estate Agent · Warrior Run, PA · Member since 2016 · 341 posts · 146 votes

This post is me blowing off steam or seeing if I’m missing anything.

I currently own a Triplex with an 85k note left on it. I profit roughly $750 a month plus whatever the mortgage pay down is. I’m not complaining.

Where my frustration comes from is feeling stagnant. I’m saving money like it’s going out of style, but I won’t qualify for another mortgage. I went from being a restaurant manager on a salary to a new restaurant as a tipped employee ( the money is better) problem is that the bank won’t consider my tips until I’ve been their I believe 2 years so they can average my income.

So at the current time a loan from a bank is out of the question.

I have about 8k saved myself. My mother wants to invest and has 85k but it’s only 38k in liquid the rest is tied up in IRAs.

I’m trying to think of creative ways to acquire more properties but I can’t come up with anything other than wait and save.

Also when I’m 25 in 2 years I will be receiving a settlement check for 50k. My goal is to have at least 25k of my own to add to that and then with my moms investment make a big move.

I guess I just feel like I’m smart enough to figure something else out and that just waiting and saving isn’t good enough. I’m only 23 but I feel that I should be doing better because I’m absolutely in love with real estate.

Any suggestions ? Some angle I’m not seeing maybe ?

1Reply
95 views

Most Popular Reply

Contractor · Milltown, NJ · Member since 2016 · 297 posts · 213 votes
8y
Nicholas Weckstein Happy Thanksgiving to you, and congrats on your investing success to date. You know more about the real world at 23 than 90% of the world will ever know. You are on the right path, have incredible discipline and a boatload of know-how to boot. The lesson life is teaching you now is patience. You can evaluate a deal, set a goal for the price range of your next one and keep on saving up until you find it. You can and will do it. One thing I would steer clear of, is Mom's IRA. A deal goes sour on that road, and you lose a lot more than an investor.
See this reply in the discussion

56 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Warrior Run, PA · Member since 2016 · 341 posts · 146 votes
    8y

    @Cory Dessauer I love the podcasts, i try to listen every time i have 30 min or more in the car. after all of this i believe a PML might just be the way to go so that i can make a move in the near future.

  • Investor · La Vernia, TX · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 865 votes
    8y

    @Nicholas Weckstein

    I am not a financial advisor or expert on the subject. However, it is my understanding that yes you can use the unsecured loan anyway you choose (including Real Estate Investing). It is similar to a personal Line of Credit. Your Passbook loan was probably a secures variety. I have both a LOC and HELOC that I use. Between these and my private lender I rarely use any of my own cash. Even though I have a decent cash reserve building I do not want to touch it if I don't have to. The banks like this!

  • Real Estate Agent · Warrior Run, PA · Member since 2016 · 341 posts · 146 votes
    8y
    John Leavelle okay gotcha, I love the advice. This is exactly what I’m going to do. I can’t wait to start getting this all together. I’m sure their is something I can make happen. Between personal bank loans. Loans from my mom, my money, and maybe equity from my current rental. The passbook loan was a move on my part to build my credit. I had the cash so I used It as collateral to just build my high credit limit and payment history.
  • Rental Property Investor · Papillion, NE · Member since 2017 · 398 posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    @Nicholas Weckstein congrats on getting off to a solid start! I think everyone hit on the IRA so I wont chime in on that point.

    This is not advice but what I wish I would have done when I was your age (I am now 32). I was working 70+ hours a week from 19 until 28, if I would have put more focus on educating myself in the areas that caught my interest I would have been much better served. By education I mean meetups, reading, a job that interests you, and reaching out to successful individuals/mentors to further my passion. 

    I can totally understand being in a 'rush' to continue on the path of financial freedom, but right now you have lots of time and freedoms. I think that starting a part time job (in conjunction with being a waiter) at a property management company would provide numerous benefits and help propel your career, no matter what the wages may be. 

    Either way, its easy for me to provide this advice when I did not take it myself! Best of luck and continue pushing forward, you seem to be on the right path!

  • Rental Property Investor · Buffalo, NY · Member since 2017 · 257 posts · 130 votes
    8y

    Are there any run down areas within 40min that you can pick up a rental or two for cheap?

  • Real Estate Agent · Warrior Run, PA · Member since 2016 · 341 posts · 146 votes
    8y
    John W. With out a doubt. The area is very “blocky” you’ll have a few blocks that are beautiful. A few blocks that have some ran down houses. Then you get to the hills section where it’s gorgeous. I can pick up multi families for between 40-50k that need approx 20k worth of work to be very nice. The problem you run into is property value. Average house is around 75-80k so their is some properties that just aren’t worth It.
  • Real Estate Agent · Warrior Run, PA · Member since 2016 · 341 posts · 146 votes
    8y
    Collin Schwartz yeah I definitely got the hint from everyone not to touch the IRA lol. Won’t do that. I actually was looking around a bit for a prop manager company hiring. I applied to one but didn’t hear back. I think I’ll hit the pavement a bit harder and try to find a company. Your on to something their. The idea of doing what I love everyday is great. Even if the pay is only 12 bucks an hour it’s still worth it Thank you !
  • Rental Property Investor · Buffalo, NY · Member since 2017 · 257 posts · 130 votes
    8y

    @Nicholas Weckstein I didnt quite follow. Why are the run down areas not worth investing in?

  • Real Estate Agent · Warrior Run, PA · Member since 2016 · 341 posts · 146 votes
    8y
    John W. What I mean is that their is a lot of properties u can scoop up for 20k but they might need more money then the ARV is. Just gotta find the good ones of course
  • Rental Property Investor · Buffalo, NY · Member since 2017 · 257 posts · 130 votes
    8y

    @Nicholas Weckstein gotcha, those duds are always available. But surely there are hard to find motivated sellers that can be found with marketing that have profitable deals in your price range that can cashflow or you can wholesale. Even if you have to drive out of your way. Thats what I started with and before you know you are in a position to go bigger and better. 

  • Owen DashnerPro Member
    Lender · Omaha, NE · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    If you are trying to build up cash to fund buy and hold deals, my advice would be to zero in on a few desirable parts of your area where people want to live- with good school districts, starter to move-up housing, and low DOM (days on market). Become an expert on the values in these areas and be able to know instantly what the ARV (after repair value) is when you see a potential deal.

    While you are researching these areas, find out who the rehabbers are that are buying and flipping houses in your target areas and add them to your list of contacts.  Also find out who the landlords are in these same areas by buying an absentee owner list (from Listsource or another data provider).  These are your potential buyers once you find good deals, and there may even be some motivated sellers in that same list .

    Once you have the values nailed down and a list of potential buyers, get to work on some low-cost marketing (driving for dollars, targeted direct mail, craigslist, door knocking, etc.). Get creative in your approach to finding motivated sellers. Once you have a deal identified, work with the flippers and/or landlords in either wholesaling it to them for a fee, doing a JV on the flip for a smaller percentage, or partnering for equity with a landlord in a buy and hold deal. Again, be creative here.

    I can't even count the number of times I have been contacted by "wholesalers" who have asked me a million questions about my "buying criteria", can I pay cash, etc, only to never hear from them again after I've spent valuable time with them describing exactly the type of deal I'm looking for.

    If I had somebody call me that had actually done research before contacting me and already knew the areas/price points/type of property that I buy, and actually had a deal for me to look at - I would faint from shock.  But, I would absolutely be willing to pay a birddog/wholesale fee or even be willing to do a profit share if the numbers made sense.

    Also - network you a** off.  You never know who is going to be a good contact for you.  Good luck man!

  • Mary K.Pro Member
    Investor · Ocala, FL · Member since 2015 · 157 posts · 88 votes
    8y

    Someone here mentioned a lender or broker that only needs 1 year of self-employment, not 2, to get financing. I heard that was becoming more common.

  • Rental Property Investor · Buffalo, NY · Member since 2017 · 257 posts · 130 votes
    8y

    @Owen Dashner great advice.

    For whatever reason I have found it easier to find deals and wholesale in the more run down areas. They seem hesitant about agents so they  respond to bandit signs and already know theyre properties arent worth that much, just my experience though. And the low purchase price gives someone with low capital more options. But many times they dont have a search or survey and you may have to gamble a little by paying for a search up front only to find a bunch of leins.

  • Rental Property Investor · Chappaqua, NY · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 947 votes
    8y
    John W. Working in a restaurant! Nice that’s how I started out. 30hrs a week tho? How much more could you make if you did 50/60 hrs. I was working 40 hours a week at my current w2 and 3-4 nights bar tending to buy my first 3 unit. I knew a waitress that bought a dozen apts in NYC with tip money. Did you mention your moving out of NY area? Keep in mind when you move out of NY area your tip income might drop dramatically.
  • Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2008 · 319 posts · 243 votes
    8y

    @Nicholas Weckstein A bank may not consider tipped income until you have 2 years of track record for a loan they are going to sell from their books. Many banks might consider you for a loan they hold in their portfolio.  Usually these are a bit higher rates, and they really prefer adjustable rate loans.  Since you are in the same industry as you were previously, just a different job, I would think there would be a local bank that could work with you. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Chappaqua, NY · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 947 votes
    8y
    My bad! Swap out John W for Nicholas Weckstein pls.
  • Real Estate Agent · Warrior Run, PA · Member since 2016 · 341 posts · 146 votes
    8y
    John W. The idea of wholesaling is something I certainly am interested in. I have looked into it a bit. I’m hesitant to try It to be honest. Also maybe It is something I should wait until I have boots on the ground when I move their in a few months. But truthfully I could start now. I know a lot of people from the area. I could start creating my buyers list now. As I’m sure that’s more important.
  • Real Estate Agent · Warrior Run, PA · Member since 2016 · 341 posts · 146 votes
    8y
    @Owen D great advice thank you ! Also as I should mention I did recently pass my RE exam and am waiting for my application to be approved. Is the fact that I’m a RE agent going to possibly hinder me from wholesaling ? seems like it may.
  • Real Estate Agent · Warrior Run, PA · Member since 2016 · 341 posts · 146 votes
    8y
    John Hickey I know you know what it’s like ! The love hate for the industry. You love when your walking out with piles of cash but sometimes just hate It. I did the whole 60 hours a week thing as a GM and realized I’m wasting my time making some one else’s business run. I don’t want to do that ever again. I just started about a month ago in this new restaurant so only about 30 hours right now. A few people did say to get another job. I have the entrepreneurial bug, so I like to have the extra time to work on my ideas. I’m currently trying to design a T-shirt business that’s online based. Also as long as my RE agent license is approved I will be doing that as well. So getting another job in my opinion will take time away from what’s really important to me and that’s starting a business. I’ll tel you the truth, after doing 60 hours a week as a restaurant GM, and being badly mistreated by the owners. They paid me 14$ an hour !!! They figured I was only 21,22, and they could take advantage of me. The free time I have now to try and work on my own business ideas is really nice. So I really don’t totally want to get another job. The good thing is that I’m great with money so I’m saving plenty still.
  • Real Estate Agent · Warrior Run, PA · Member since 2016 · 341 posts · 146 votes
    8y
    Tyler Weaver yes this I am aware of and has a lot to do with my issue with getting another property. Some one on this post made a great point that possibly because I’ve been in the same industry just a new job that they may still be able to work with me.
  • Real Estate Agent · Warrior Run, PA · Member since 2016 · 341 posts · 146 votes
    8y
    Mary K. Are the lending guidelines really easing up again ? Some one else had mentioned here that it’s becoming easier.
  • Rental Property Investor · Edison, NJ · Member since 2016 · 753 posts · 565 votes
    8y
    Real estate is risky so it is not worth it to use your mother’s retirement account to fund your real estate ventures. Also if she is not 59 1/2 there will be a tax bill plus a 10 % penalty for early withdrawal. It could also permanently sour your relationship with your mother if you make a bad deal or end up with extra expenses and lose her money. I would highly recommend focusing on increasing your own income instead of borrowing from your mother. She also does not seem to have a lot of money to lend you which would make it even more difficult for her if your new venture does not work out immediately. Continue researching the market you are interested in and learning about real estate while you continue to save. Sometimes when we rush things we end up in a lot of trouble. You are doing well for your age.
  • Mary K.Pro Member
    Investor · Ocala, FL · Member since 2015 · 157 posts · 88 votes
    8y

    @Nicholas Weckstein I am not an expert on this and many others here are. Did you read the blog/forum post on Creative Financing that went up not long ago? Had some great ideas in it. I've seen articles on 1 year SE loans but didn't save them so did a quick search on options. Came up with this info. I'm self-employed and always face challenges getting loans since I tend to write off like crazy and report a low income.

    https://themortgagereports.com/21186/self-employed...

    http://www.balanceprocess.com/what-is-a-portfolio-...

    https://mymortgageinsider.com/stated-income-loans-...

  • Rental Property Investor · Chappaqua, NY · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 947 votes
    8y

    @Nicholas Weckstein 

    I’m twice your age, and I made a ton of mistakes.  One thing I wish I could go back and change.  Both of these books I wish i had read 5,10,15, 20 years earlier.  But they were written all that long ago.  I could have gotten the ideas elsewhere but I also know I was young and maybe not ready.  

    Allow me to call out two books.  Same author. The one thing and millionaire real estate investor.  

    Keep in mind that your young but, that goes quick.  

  • Pleasanton, CA · Member since 2016 · 30 posts · 12 votes
    8y

    @Nicholas Weckstein You are KILLIN IT!. I am impressed. I'm not sure what else you have going on in your life but, if you are working 30 hours a week use the rest of that time to hustle. Maybe get involved with some real estate groups and talk to others about what they have done, drive for dollars, focus on finding that property to house hack when you move. I have a 55-60 hour a week job, 3 kids,(who have a bunch of activities) and work every other weekend when I don't have the kids to make ends meet. There is not a lot of time to get out there and move the needle for me but, I'll keep going. You will figure it out soon. It has been my experience that the longer I work at something eventually it clicks.  I am a newbie but I have heard so much about all the options out there. I really liked John Leavelle's advice. I always lack perspective in my own life and think I should be further along than I am. You are doing great.  Good Luck.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.