Just signed rental contracts for my first 2 SFRs

Just signed rental contracts for my first 2 SFRs

Tim NicholasPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Lake Charles, LA · Member since 2017 · 49 posts · 38 votes

Hey BP family. I am very excited and loving what I am doing and a big thank you to Josh, Brandon, Mindy and the  rest of the Team at BP for the encouragement and the challenging blog's, forums and podcast, what inspiration. I just signed contracts and received my deposits and first month's rent on my recently required buy and hold rental properties. Thanks to brandon and his year end 60 day challenge! 

I purchased 2 homes using a HELOC against the equity in my home and a rental that I have had for 5 years. Here is how it shakes out.

Propery 1: 

Purchased in October from someone wholesaling the property (he was actually looking to me for private money lol). I had met  this guy through a PM in my area, this PM would help me with rental forecast for properties I was looking into.  Anyway I told the fellow I did do private lending but if he wanted to wholesale I would be intersested in purchasing it. Long story short I purchased from him for 33k, rehab was cost about 42k, my note is 350, insurance is about 70 per month, rent is 1k per month, 25 % for M&R and cap ex. I self manage through my construction business. Postive cash flow of 300 per month. 

Before

after:

not the best picture with the winter's dead grass and construction debris. I will update picture soon

Before

after

before

After

Property 2:

Purchased through a realtor. Listed for 50k, offer of 40k accepted. Rehab 4k, rent 800, note 225, insurance 60, M&R and cap ex 200. Cash flow about 300

Thanks again BP for the inspiration!!

15Reply
123 views

Most Popular Reply

Nikiski, AK · Member since 2018 · 12 posts · 22 votes
8y

Great job.  Don't forget to set up a sinking fund for short lived items and an emergency fund for those inevitable bumps in the road and those moments that feel like the end-of-the-world.  Then, set up a plan to get the loan paid off ASAP -- 5 to 7 years comes to mind.  It's a slower route to becoming a real estate guru, but it will ensure your long term success.  The key to this type of investing is a slow, thoughtful, well planned path.

See this reply in the discussion

37 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2017 · 364 posts · 109 votes
    8y

    Wow! Congratulations! Very impressive! I can hear excitement in your "voice". I bet you are already hungry for more. Do you mind sharing what type and terms of HELOC do you got?

  • Tim NicholasPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Lake Charles, LA · Member since 2017 · 49 posts · 38 votes
    8y

    Yes thanks Lana Lee, you got that right. I am excited and very hungry. I have a 3 plex and a single SFR under contract. I actually have 2 Heloc's one on my home another on another piece of property I have. They are 2 year terms @ 5.5% from my local bank. 6 month intro @ 1.99%. That is much better than a 15% hardmoney loan. Trying to refi now and get my money back out of the 2 rentals and continue the process.

  • Real Estate Broker · Watertown, NY · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    Awesome job!! 

  • Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2017 · 364 posts · 109 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Tim Nicholas:

    Yes thanks Lana Lee, you got that right. I am excited and very hungry. I have a 3 plex and a single SFR under contract. I actually have 2 Heloc's one on my home another on another piece of property I have. They are 2 year terms @ 5.5% from my local bank. 6 month intro @ 1.99%. That is much better than a 15% hardmoney loan. Trying to refi now and get my money back out of the 2 rentals and continue the process.

     I think you should repost again, because when you are posting on BP forum such late at night, not many people get to see it. You did a great job sharing your successful beginning with us and I would like many people to read it. 

  • Kerry BairdPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Melbourne, FL · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    Wow!  Photos tell so much of the story.  Looks great! And the numbers your shared aren’t too shabby, either.  Do it again!

  • Investor · Birmingham, AL · Member since 2015 · 74 posts · 25 votes
    8y

    Good deal. I love deals like this. I happen to be searching for local private lenders as well and have done deals this way

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    8y

    Congratulations. I have to say, I'm impressed you were able to turn that unit around and still be profitable.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7247 Reviews
  • Real Estate Agent · Orlando, FL · Member since 2016 · 36 posts · 23 votes
    8y

    Wow...Awesome! I missed the challenge but this is very inspirational for me! I have lots of equity in my home but my hubby is afraid to access it to begin building wealth through buy and hold. I want to understand more on how you did it so I can break it down to him in hopes that it'll stick in that rock hard brain of his!! My only other option is Hard Money and that requires at least 20% skin in the game...which I don't have! So, could you PLEASE give a step by step plan on how you accomplished this through HELOC and how you plan on repayment of the loan, rinse & repeat, etc. Great appreciate it, if you have the time. Thanks.

  • Nikiski, AK · Member since 2018 · 12 posts · 22 votes
    8y

    Great job.  Don't forget to set up a sinking fund for short lived items and an emergency fund for those inevitable bumps in the road and those moments that feel like the end-of-the-world.  Then, set up a plan to get the loan paid off ASAP -- 5 to 7 years comes to mind.  It's a slower route to becoming a real estate guru, but it will ensure your long term success.  The key to this type of investing is a slow, thoughtful, well planned path.

  • Tim NicholasPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Lake Charles, LA · Member since 2017 · 49 posts · 38 votes
    8y

    Yes Kayla, after getting plugged into bigger pockets, listening and reading up and hearing all the inspiring stories I was ready to take the plunge. Like you the HELOC was the simplest answer. I approached my local banker and they offered me 80% LTV and 5.5 % Apr with a 1.99 intro rate, on the equity I had in my home and 75% LTV on my other property. After that I was like a hound dog on the scent. I drove for dollars, hooked up with a realtor and connected with a friend who connected me with a property manager who in turn linked me to a guy of all things looking for private money lol. Long story short I bought his property from him and rehabbed it. The second home came up on MLS through automatic feed from my realtor. That might be a little more than you were asking for.

    As far as rinse and repeat. The next step in the process, which I am now engaged in is to refi or take out HELOCs on my 2 new properties. I like the HELOC because I can cash flow better until I decide to do a full on mortagage, just my thing, some like to go straight into a conventional loan. For me Helocs are quicker and easier and I can get money back out there working for me again asap.

    The biggest thing is to "just do it" like the nike commercial says. Of course you do need your husband on board. 

    All that being said if I can't get my bank to move forward. I will definitely go private or hard money when I find the right deal.

     I hope that helps.

  • Burley, ID · Member since 2018 · 1 post · 0 votes
    8y

    I have been a lender for years and have been in banking for 25, and I have never heard of a bank that does HELOCs on anything but primary or secondary home.

    In my experience, investment properties are specifically prohibited from this type of loan by loan policy.

    You may need to consider conventional commercial financing through the Commercial Loan Officer at your bank. The smaller the bank the better. Most LTV maximums are in the 75% range.

    Just some thoughts for you to consider.

  • O Fallon, IL · Member since 2016 · 48 posts · 19 votes
    8y

    Tim Nicholas,

    Great job, very inspirational! It's amazing how updating property aesthetics  can add so much value; the pictures are proof of such.

    I may have missed this, but in your numbers did you include taxes, or was that built into your note? 

    Hoping continued success for you! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Brookhaven, MS · Member since 2017 · 186 posts · 108 votes
    8y

    Great job!

  • Rental Property Investor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2016 · 109 posts · 59 votes
    8y

    Awesome job @Tim Nicholas!   Looks like some great numbers that will inhibit long term cash flow.  Congrats!

  • Tim NicholasPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Lake Charles, LA · Member since 2017 · 49 posts · 38 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Keith Stone:

    I have been a lender for years and have been in banking for 25, and I have never heard of a bank that does HELOCs on anything but primary or secondary home.

    In my experience, investment properties are specifically prohibited from this type of loan by loan policy.

    You may need to consider conventional commercial financing through the Commercial Loan Officer at your bank. The smaller the bank the better. Most LTV maximums are in the 75% range.

    Just some thoughts for you to consider.

  • Tim NicholasPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Lake Charles, LA · Member since 2017 · 49 posts · 38 votes
    8y

    Thanks for the insight Keith. I mentioned it to my lender and he never implied anything differently, we did talk about doing a commerial loan with both properties, nothing was said differently about a Heloc or a LOC.

  • Tim NicholasPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Lake Charles, LA · Member since 2017 · 49 posts · 38 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @James Fowler:

    Tim Nicholas,

    Great job, very inspirational! It's amazing how updating property aesthetics  can add so much value; the pictures are proof of such.

    I may have missed this, but in your numbers did you include taxes, or was that built into your note? 

    Hoping continued success for you! 

  • Tim NicholasPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Lake Charles, LA · Member since 2017 · 49 posts · 38 votes
    8y

    I chose the path of interest only for now to maximize cash flow. Let appreciation and inflation pay down the buy and hold for the long haul.

  • Investor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2015 · 26 posts · 8 votes
    8y

    Keep up the great work. Congrats 

  • Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2016 · 12 posts · 11 votes
    8y

    Great job Tim!  God bless on all of your future investments!

  • Wholesaler · Dayton, OH · Member since 2013 · 172 posts · 16 votes
    8y

    Anyone doing helocs on non owner occupied?

  • Real Estate Agent · Niagara County NY · Member since 2017 · 121 posts · 77 votes
    8y

    Awesome!!! Congratulations!!

  • Rental Property Investor · Concord, GA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y

    Seems like there are still a few decent purchases out there. Been few and far between here. I'm closing on a property in 3 days and it will be the first of two we buy in 2018. (at least that's our intention).

    We recently closed on a HELOC and are going to use the funds for these next properties as we're tapped out. This one we're closing on Friday will be #7 SFR. 5 are rented, 1 is on the market and one of the 5 is going to be vacated the end of this month so hopefully we can fill that quickly. This has been an interesting adventure for us as we're doing it full time now. It's not enough to live on so we're scraping here and there trying to grow enough to fund ourselves. We're hoping that within the next year, we'll be at the top of the climb and can at least level out if not go downhill. This will be the first year we haven't had a W-2 job. Yikes!

  • Rental Property Investor · Concord, GA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y

    By the way, those rehabs you did look great. Hope you have good tenants and can do more deals like this.

  • Rental Property Investor · West Bend, WI · Member since 2015 · 931 posts · 598 votes
    8y
    the key is to buy with enough upside, and be disciplined to pay back the HELOC, what I do is " package up" my free and clear rentals and pull lines of  credit, then pay cash for the next deal, rehab, rent, and do a cash out to repay the HELOC. I will give you an example of one I am ding right now. Duplex, paid $58,700 at Sheriff Sale, will spend $7K on cleaning, 2 new furnaces, 1 A/C, water heaters, paint and flooring in one unit, and some appliances. Brings me to $65,700, it sold 2 years ago for $115,000 (the owner died and was foreclosed on)  so it will be worth that or more when done, I will then do a cash out commercial loan, at 60% or less of finished value, so $69,000 get all my money back to pay the line off and a few bucks left over. I choose to only borrow 60% LTV, my banks will do 75 or 80% but im not comfortable there. I will amm the loan at 15 years and plan to pay it off in 10 or less. will produce $1,300 gross rent, basically one unit covers mortgage and Management, the other is taxes insurance and profit, it will net me about $400/mo positive, and when its paid off almost $1000/mo positive. my point is you have to buy only deals that have enough meat on the bone to refi out with none of your cash, but just the equity you made by buying right, and adding value. Good Luck

    Originally posted by @Kayla Oliver-Pratt:

    Wow...Awesome! I missed the challenge but this is very inspirational for me! I have lots of equity in my home but my hubby is afraid to access it to begin building wealth through buy and hold. I want to understand more on how you did it so I can break it down to him in hopes that it'll stick in that rock hard brain of his!! My only other option is Hard Money and that requires at least 20% skin in the game...which I don't have! So, could you PLEASE give a step by step plan on how you accomplished this through HELOC and how you plan on repayment of the loan, rinse & repeat, etc. Great appreciate it, if you have the time. Thanks.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.