0 to 18 units in two years

0 to 18 units in two years

Jordan MoorheadBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes

I just closed on another 12 units today bringing my total to 18 units!

This won't allow me to retire in luxury but will cover all of my basic expenses if something were to happen and put me on the sideline for a while.

I started in 2016 with a Duplex that I bought in Minneapolis with a 3.5% down FHA loan. About a year later I closed on a 6 plex in Louisville KY, which was bought with owner financing.

The one that closed today was two more six plexes and the previous six plex refinanced into one loan. The purchase was a 14% cash on cash return with all expenses and management. 

The purchase price on the original six plex was $320,000. These next two were $703,000, together as a package. The current gross rents are right around $11,000 but will be closer to $14,000 after we turn the units and raise rents. Both of the new buildings need minor renovation and one unit needs a major overhaul.

I won't be managing any of it, used US Bank to do that loan and refinance. Seven or eight banks told me no before I went to them and they said yes. The majority of the 20% down payment came from the proceeds of my duplex sale and I was able to make up most of the difference, borrowing a bit from family to get the deal done.

After this I'll be looking for more apartments and a mobile home park to try and keep growing the portfolio!

37Reply
125 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2015 · 109 posts · 125 votes
8y

Good work man, now it is time to buy some commercial real estate to start throwing some gas on the fire.   Hahaha.

See this reply in the discussion

64 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Clinton, UT · Member since 2018 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    8y

    Well done! That's a motivating experience you have shared!

  • Knoxville, TN · Member since 2018 · 24 posts · 5 votes
    8y

    inspiring! Nice work!!

  • Kokomo, IN · Member since 2018 · 21 posts · 2 votes
    8y

    Very awesome! I read that triple net leases are one of the best to look to the long term-hands off deals, so maybe you look into doing that next? Keep the party rollin! 

  • Investor · Taylor Mill, KY · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 964 votes
    8y

    @Jordan Moorhead Awesome story! Thank you for sharing and congrats!

  • Investor · Murfreesboro, TN · Member since 2013 · 430 posts · 178 votes
    8y

    Awesome stuff Jordan !

  • Rental Property Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2017 · 48 posts · 24 votes
    8y

    Killing it Bro! that's awesome.

  • Jordan MoorheadBusiness Member
    OP
    Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y

    @Grant Rothenburger thanks man! I found these shortly after the best ever conference last year. Got me motivated to get moving.

    @Jason Yarusi thanks man!

  • Alexandria, VA · Member since 2018 · 26 posts · 2 votes
    8y

    Awesome Testimonial! how much did you pay for your duplex?

  • San Diego, CA · Member since 2018 · 14 posts · 4 votes
    8y

    Congratulations Jordan! It's such an inspiration to see such success in that amount of time. Hard work surly pays off! Good luck with your future investments!

  • Rental Property Investor · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8y
    My math put you at 20 units.... Duplex + 3 6 plex's. Great for you either way! Congrats!
  • Property Manager · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2018 · 514 posts · 470 votes
    8y

    Amazing @Jordan Moorhead!! May I ask how you found the owner financed deal for your first six-plex?

  • Rental Property Investor · Louisville, KY · Member since 2015 · 221 posts · 106 votes
    8y

    @Jordan Moorhead Great Job on closing on the new properties! Can you give us an idea of some more of the numbers and why you chose these deals? Cashflow? Expenses? Etc? What did you learn? What would you do differently? 

  • Investor · Taylor Mill, KY · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 964 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Jordan Moorhead:

    @Grant Rothenburger thanks man! I found these shortly after the best ever conference last year. Got me motivated to get moving.

    @Jason Yarusi thanks man!

    That's awesome! I was running around like crazy that whole time, didn't get to take in the content until after via recordings. It was a good time I thought.

  • Greater Hartford, CT · Member since 2018 · 15 posts · 10 votes
    8y
    Wow Jordan Moorhead congrats! I’m a newbie who’s just starting to learn (unfortunately no where near getting started), so it’s really exciting when I read success stories like this. Great motivation! Hope you continue to find success!
  • Real Estate Agent · Orlando, FL · Member since 2015 · 8 posts · 2 votes
    8y

    Wow @Jordan Moorhead thats Amazing! Did you approach the first 6 plex owner with the owner financing strategy? Congratulations on your new deal man you're doing great things.

  • Naples, FL · Member since 2017 · 30 posts · 6 votes
    8y

    I did a bunch of buy/fix/rent....35 in all...never again......way to much problems, fix, collection, utlities, etc.  Best to buy right.....small fix costs and flip immediately and take your cash...soon you will need to bank and you can close on one or two a month....and say at just $25K per profit...not bad and all hassles eliminated.  Go only for non junkers neeing only cosmetics and seller who 'divorced' the property.  PH  I find these in Naples Florida now for investors...I just ake a small finders fee as I hurt my back bad and an retired now.

  • Real Estate Agent · Ft. Worth, TX · Member since 2016 · 10 posts · 5 votes
    8y

    Rock & Roll! 

  • Realtor · Paterson, NJ · Member since 2017 · 134 posts · 97 votes
    8y

    Congrats on your success, Jordan! You definitely are an inspiration to many people here.

  • Jordan MoorheadBusiness Member
    OP
    Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y

    @James Wyant $182,000

    @Jason D. I sold the duplex so 18, but thanks!

    @Elenis Camargo it was listed on the MLS in Louisville. My father found it and asked for owner financing.

    @David D'Errico  I chose them because I could get really close to the 15% cash on cash return that I'm looking for. I can't say I know much about what I would do differently because I just closed a few days ago. 

    @Grant Rothenburger definitely a good time.

    @Sara Kennedy keep learning and you'll start soon!

    @Tony Crews I just asked because I didn't have the money the bank would have wanted. I ended up only having to put 15% down.

  • Rental Property Investor · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8y
    @Jordan Moorhead may I ask why you sold the duplex? Most investors in the early stages aren't selling properties when they are still in the expansion phase so I'm curious what prompted you to sell.
  • Jordan MoorheadBusiness Member
    OP
    Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y

    @Jason D. I made $130,000 off selling it. The cash on cash was good but the return on the equity in the property was less than 5%. It was a no brainer!

  • Bemidji, MN · Member since 2018 · 31 posts · 14 votes
    8y

    Wow man, awesome.  Just used some equity to purchase a triplex.  If you find a deal in Bemidji, let me know.

  • Columbus, OH · Member since 2018 · 29 posts · 20 votes
    8y

    Congrats! 

  • Rental Property Investor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2015 · 272 posts · 50 votes
    8y
    Awesome job @Jordan Moorhead!
  • Jordan MoorheadBusiness Member
    OP
    Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.