How I Bought the Most Efficient House Hack in America [Part 4]

How I Bought the Most Efficient House Hack in America [Part 4]

Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2017 · 321 posts · 524 votes

Challenge: If you can find a house hack in America with better numbers than what I’m going to present to you, please share.

My ability to purchase this house all began with my first real estate purchase, my condo next to the Las Vegas Strip.

Since the Vegas market saw rapid appreciation between the time I purchased my condo, September 15 2016, and the time I sold my condo, February 28th 2019, I was given the rare opportunity to sell at a massive profit in such a short time frame.

Because I was able to take out a HELOC to use for a 4plex and 2 flips, I had two mortgages to pay off at closing: first mortgage and HELOC. Even with closing costs and bogus HOA fees to pay, I walked with nearly $30,000 in cash.

My good friend in Vegas bought a property for $175,000, renovated it, and lived in it for two years. I was amazed at how beautiful the numbers were for a house hack. When I went to his house for the first time in August 2018, I knew I had to purchase the house if he ever wanted to sell.

I had two hard money loans outstanding, and my current DTI was probably 2 because my w2 income isn't high and the lender wouldn't account for the 6 roommates' income I'd have if I were to buy his house.

So I had to wait until I exited my two flips, exited my condo, and had financing approved before I could buy his house. This presented a timing issue as well as a logistical issue, as I didn’t want to hold off on moving forward with rehab projects in order to buy this house.

The timing appeared to be off as he was interested in selling a few months earlier than I anticipated. And my second flip had been delayed for about 60 days which meant it was even more unlikely that I would be able to buy his house.

A couple weeks ago, myself and a close group of friends were set to meet up at a popular bar in town. After an hour, it was just me and him and he mentioned that an investor's VA called his number and discussed buying his house.

The investor was interested in a lease purchase agreement because he was a wholesaler and didn’t have the ability to qualify for a traditional mortgage.

After discussing the details, I asked him if he would consider offering me a similar deal. I could be the investor buying the property.

He was cool with it.

I went home that night and couldn’t sleep. After a couple months of thinking I couldn’t buy his property, I realized it was now a potential option.

We met a week later to go over terms. We agreed that $300k was a fair purchase price. He was thinking of listing the house for $289k. Since he was offering such good terms, I was fine paying more for the house. Also, by not listing on the market, I saved him at least 6% on agent fees, and the stress of selling a house (dealing with buyers, flakes, offers below list, etc.). To add, Zillow has it estimated at $310k so I believe I bought it at slightly under value or right on appraisal value.

The numbers:Purchase Price: $300k

Down Payment: $25k and remaining $35k in installments (because he’s doing me a huge solid and is allowing me to pay over a 3-4 month period)

Balloon Payment: not specified but gentleman’s handshake that it will be around the 12 month mark

Monthly Payment: $1500

His PITI is around $1000 so he is cash flowing $500 per month from this deal. The principal paydown every month will be added as equity for me. In one year, I'll add roughly $2800 in equity.

Because my income from 2019 will be about 4x what my 2018 income was, I anticipate being able to get a 30 year loan on this property in 12 months when taxes are filed, even if I have an outstanding hard money loan.

The House

The garage is a converted unit with its own private bath. Two rooms downstairs share one bath. Two rooms upstairs share one bath. The Master upstairs has its own bath. The room next to Master has its own bath. In all, the property is a 7 bed, 5 bath 2,400 square foot cash cow. My buddy rehabbed it while living there, brand new roof, new kitchen, upgraded bathrooms.

I decided to furnish the rooms that are currently not occupied. I spent $2,100 to furnish 3 rooms and add a fridge to the garage. 4 rooms were already taken and will be furnished as the tenants move out.

The Numbers

Monthly PITI payment: $1,500

Electric: $225

Internet: $125

Security: $50

Maid: $100

Total: $2,000

Income

Rooms that share bathroom: $550 x 4

Converted Garage: $600

Room with private bathroom: $600

Master: $650

Total Income: $4,050

I will be sleeping in one of the bedrooms that shares a bath so my total ‘house-hack’ income is ~$3,500

Total Net Income as a House Hack: ~$1,500 per month

This is the exact property I needed. As I look to expand my rehab business, having a huge cash flow every month will allow me to easily handle multiple hard money loans at one time.

Yes, I understand that this is a lot of people living in one house. It will be a fun experiment with people management and a great way to meet new people. The house definitely does not feel like a college dorm as I initially expected. Everyone has their own space, different schedules, and keeps to themselves which allows the house to never feel like a problem of housing too many people.

This is Part 4 of my journey to real estate success.  Part 1 can be read here.  Part 2 can be read here.  Part 3 can be read here.

20Reply
355 views

Most Popular Reply

Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2018 · 403 posts · 474 votes
7y

Great job on getting the deal done. Now please stop using Zillow’s crap comps! LOL 

See this reply in the discussion

63 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2017 · 321 posts · 524 votes
    7y

    @Craig Curelop In Vegas, it's definitely the only way to have any type of respectable cash return on single families.  I'm definitely part of the extreme with 6 roommates, but we're still in a market where 3-4 roommates will cash flow.

    I'm a little surprised that the 'rent by the room' strategy isn't as prevalent on BP forums.  I'm assuming it's because RE investors tend to be of an age where spouse and kids are common and who would not consider renting out rooms to strangers.

  • Rental Property Investor · Rockville, MD · Member since 2018 · 56 posts · 28 votes
    7y

    @Spencer Cornelia our real estate agent told us about tenant limits as soon as we discussed with him the idea of house hacking and renting by the room. He also suggested we look at the county regulations to make sure on the exact number of unrelated people that can live under one roof. 

    But definitely agree that it is a great way to house hack (and almost the only way in an expensive market). 

  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2017 · 321 posts · 524 votes
    7y

    @Ana Coello You clearly have a knowledgeable agent lol since I've asked a few people and no one knew about this obscure law.

    I definitely consider it a loophole as the owner is getting lending on a single family house, yet the multiple tenants produce income as if the property were a multi family.  A little bit of compromise == huge returns.

  • Member since 2019 · 4 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    Wow!  Congrats on this HH, @Spencer Cornelia! Sometimes I wish I'd become interested in REI when I was younger. House Hacking at my age with 3 kids and a dog is no bueno. Now onto the million dollar question - how did you find maid who only charges $100/month to clean a 7 bedroom/5 bath house and can you send her my way, please?!!

  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2017 · 321 posts · 524 votes
    7y

    @Teresa Ranieri House hacking will be the most financially advantageous thing I'll ever do in my life so I'm very thankful to have come across this concept when young and single.  You can still house hack in other ways, even with spouse and kids.  Casita, convert garage to AirBnB, buy a house with a guest house, etc.  Obviously not as easy but still possible.

    The maid cleans kitchen and dining area, the two bathrooms located in main hallways, the hallway floors.  She does not clean 3 of the bathrooms (located in private rooms) nor does she clean any of the bedrooms.  $20 each additional for private room and bath.

    Since the flooring is wood (vinyl plank) and the bathrooms aren't high quality, private bedroom and bathroom are easy to clean when tenants move out.

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2019 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    Good job! Thanks for sharing!!

  • San Diego, CA · Member since 2018 · 210 posts · 67 votes
    7y

    Hello Spencer,

    Congratulations on your success.

    Sincerely 

  • Member since 2019 · 10 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    @Spencer Cornelia Fantastic. I love the idea of paying the down payment in installments.

  • Rental Property Investor · Vancouver, BC · Member since 2020 · 57 posts · 25 votes
    6y

    Hi @Spencer Cornelia - old thread but wanted to see if you have an update. I did a house hack years ago in Vancouver with a main floor 2 bedroom, upstairs 2 bedroom, and I added a downstairs 1 bedroom. Probably the 2nd or 3rd best deal I ever did, almost doubled in value in a year! I was wondering how things turned out with your financing efforts, given the current situation.

  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2017 · 321 posts · 524 votes
    6y

    @Steven Silman unable to buy at the moment.  Ran into some troubles with my first two flips and knocked me out financially.  Closing on my second flip tomorrow which will wipe out all debt and allow me to finally buy this house hack in my name.....but I got furloughed a few weeks ago.

    Just another setback.  But I won't be able to buy until I go back to work.

    As for the house hack itself - I've put a lot of repair money into it so my financials don't appear as strong.  But by summer 2021, I should be looking at about $2k/month cash flow with me living in it.  And upwards of $2,600/month when I decide to move out.

    This will be my home run deal for as long as I keep it.

  • Rental Property Investor · Vancouver, BC · Member since 2020 · 57 posts · 25 votes
    6y

    @Spencer Cornelia sounds good! Sorry to hear about the first two flips - what happened with them? Drag about being furloughed too, hopefully you're back to work soon!

  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2017 · 321 posts · 524 votes
    6y

    @Steven Silman I wrote about them both here and here.

    TLDR; I lost about $55k between the two.  Wiped me out.  Still have about $5k debt to pay down before I'm back to $0.  Slowly but surely making my way back.

  • Rental Property Investor · Vancouver, BC · Member since 2020 · 57 posts · 25 votes
    6y

    @Spencer Cornelia I took a look at the two pieces, good for you for writing about it so honestly. Steady effort in the direction you want to go will get you there over time. As long as you have a good attitude - as you clearly do - and a willingness to learn and make adjustments, getting ahead is inevitable. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.