How I Bought the Most Efficient House Hack in America [Part 4]

How I Bought the Most Efficient House Hack in America [Part 4]

Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2017 · 321 posts · 524 votes

Challenge: If you can find a house hack in America with better numbers than what I’m going to present to you, please share.

My ability to purchase this house all began with my first real estate purchase, my condo next to the Las Vegas Strip.

Since the Vegas market saw rapid appreciation between the time I purchased my condo, September 15 2016, and the time I sold my condo, February 28th 2019, I was given the rare opportunity to sell at a massive profit in such a short time frame.

Because I was able to take out a HELOC to use for a 4plex and 2 flips, I had two mortgages to pay off at closing: first mortgage and HELOC. Even with closing costs and bogus HOA fees to pay, I walked with nearly $30,000 in cash.

My good friend in Vegas bought a property for $175,000, renovated it, and lived in it for two years. I was amazed at how beautiful the numbers were for a house hack. When I went to his house for the first time in August 2018, I knew I had to purchase the house if he ever wanted to sell.

I had two hard money loans outstanding, and my current DTI was probably 2 because my w2 income isn't high and the lender wouldn't account for the 6 roommates' income I'd have if I were to buy his house.

So I had to wait until I exited my two flips, exited my condo, and had financing approved before I could buy his house. This presented a timing issue as well as a logistical issue, as I didn’t want to hold off on moving forward with rehab projects in order to buy this house.

The timing appeared to be off as he was interested in selling a few months earlier than I anticipated. And my second flip had been delayed for about 60 days which meant it was even more unlikely that I would be able to buy his house.

A couple weeks ago, myself and a close group of friends were set to meet up at a popular bar in town. After an hour, it was just me and him and he mentioned that an investor's VA called his number and discussed buying his house.

The investor was interested in a lease purchase agreement because he was a wholesaler and didn’t have the ability to qualify for a traditional mortgage.

After discussing the details, I asked him if he would consider offering me a similar deal. I could be the investor buying the property.

He was cool with it.

I went home that night and couldn’t sleep. After a couple months of thinking I couldn’t buy his property, I realized it was now a potential option.

We met a week later to go over terms. We agreed that $300k was a fair purchase price. He was thinking of listing the house for $289k. Since he was offering such good terms, I was fine paying more for the house. Also, by not listing on the market, I saved him at least 6% on agent fees, and the stress of selling a house (dealing with buyers, flakes, offers below list, etc.). To add, Zillow has it estimated at $310k so I believe I bought it at slightly under value or right on appraisal value.

The numbers:Purchase Price: $300k

Down Payment: $25k and remaining $35k in installments (because he’s doing me a huge solid and is allowing me to pay over a 3-4 month period)

Balloon Payment: not specified but gentleman’s handshake that it will be around the 12 month mark

Monthly Payment: $1500

His PITI is around $1000 so he is cash flowing $500 per month from this deal. The principal paydown every month will be added as equity for me. In one year, I'll add roughly $2800 in equity.

Because my income from 2019 will be about 4x what my 2018 income was, I anticipate being able to get a 30 year loan on this property in 12 months when taxes are filed, even if I have an outstanding hard money loan.

The House

The garage is a converted unit with its own private bath. Two rooms downstairs share one bath. Two rooms upstairs share one bath. The Master upstairs has its own bath. The room next to Master has its own bath. In all, the property is a 7 bed, 5 bath 2,400 square foot cash cow. My buddy rehabbed it while living there, brand new roof, new kitchen, upgraded bathrooms.

I decided to furnish the rooms that are currently not occupied. I spent $2,100 to furnish 3 rooms and add a fridge to the garage. 4 rooms were already taken and will be furnished as the tenants move out.

The Numbers

Monthly PITI payment: $1,500

Electric: $225

Internet: $125

Security: $50

Maid: $100

Total: $2,000

Income

Rooms that share bathroom: $550 x 4

Converted Garage: $600

Room with private bathroom: $600

Master: $650

Total Income: $4,050

I will be sleeping in one of the bedrooms that shares a bath so my total ‘house-hack’ income is ~$3,500

Total Net Income as a House Hack: ~$1,500 per month

This is the exact property I needed. As I look to expand my rehab business, having a huge cash flow every month will allow me to easily handle multiple hard money loans at one time.

Yes, I understand that this is a lot of people living in one house. It will be a fun experiment with people management and a great way to meet new people. The house definitely does not feel like a college dorm as I initially expected. Everyone has their own space, different schedules, and keeps to themselves which allows the house to never feel like a problem of housing too many people.

This is Part 4 of my journey to real estate success.  Part 1 can be read here.  Part 2 can be read here.  Part 3 can be read here.

20Reply
341 views

Most Popular Reply

Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2018 · 403 posts · 474 votes
7y

Great job on getting the deal done. Now please stop using Zillow’s crap comps! LOL 

See this reply in the discussion

63 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Renton, WA · Member since 2017 · 204 posts · 151 votes
    7y

    @Spencer Cornelia Congrats! Those are great numbers, if I didn’t have kids house hacking would be a way to go. Just recently helped a client get into a house and he’s actually save $800 per month vs what he would of paid in rent even after paying his mortgage and expenses. Happy Investing!!

  • Rental Property Investor · Depends on where my employer sends me · Member since 2018 · 171 posts · 142 votes
    7y

    Nice work

  • Rental Property Investor · Richmond, VA · Member since 2016 · 279 posts · 133 votes
    7y

    @Spencer Cornelia

    Congrats, numbers look good. Also, give your friend a pat on their back for their play, 179->300 is a decent live in flip play depending on their Reno costs.

    I'll be curious to see a follow up after you have been managing the 6-7 boarding rental after awhile. Pro/con of your experience will be educational. Does LV have any laws limiting number of non related people living in one house?

    One more thing, in your 2019 estimate of earned income, are you counting the boarder rent in that 4x projection? Just be sure to confirm with your lender that they will count boarder rental income.

    All in all, seems like a hell of a HH. Congrats again on creative financing.

  • Member since 2018 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    What an adventure and stepping stone on your real estate journey!  People often ask how to get started in real estate and, for most of us, making sacrifices that others aren't willing to make, are how we make it happen.  Whether it be working multiple jobs or having roommates, you have to be willing to do what it takes.  Sending you a huge high-five!  Awesome job on finding a way to make it happen and doing it!   

  • Mindy JensenPro Member
    BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host · Longmont, CO · Member since 2014 · 7k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    7y

    What are the occupancy limits for unrelated adults living together in the city the home is located in? In a college town near me, the limit is 3 unrelated adults, which severely cramps this sort of house hack, but @Craig Curelop bought a 5 bed, 2 bath house and is successfully renting it out because his city's limits are far more lax. I'd check into this, because while everyone is getting along, this works great but if you're renting to more than the allotted amount and someone gets mad, you'll be turned in. 

    Is everyone on a month to month lease or is there a longer term? 

  • Member since 2019 · 17 posts · 7 votes
    7y

    LOVE THIS! I just read all four parts and Im incredibly motivated. I look for stories like this that tell the ups and downs!

  • Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    Cool! I have a friend who is doing something along the same lines, meaning he rents bedrooms instead of the whole property. His numbers are fantastic, but he is a unique guy. He does not live at the property.

    What he did is start a recovery house. It's a duplex that has been opened up. It's on the bus line. One kitchen serves as the kitchen and the other serves as the common/meeting room. 6 bedrooms total, 10 beds. I sometimes wonder if I should take up drinking, get sober, then follow his example - lol.

    Best part is, drug addiction is a protected class and so the zoning for boarding houses does not apply. Gotta love the loopholes.

    And, he has it set up as a non-profit.

    And, the community loves it, gives him free stuff (furniture and the like), and have offered to help with repairs!!!

    What's the saying? Find a solution to a problem?

    I think he rents for $125 per bed per week, totaling $5000 gross rents per month at full vacancy. He purchased for about $125k or so, and the repairs were pretty modest. He has had full vacancy much of the time.

    One might presume a house like this would be a royal pain, considering we are talking about people with a history of screwing up. Nope. Quite the opposite. Once established, the residents have a vested interest in keeping the house sane by kicking out those who are not serious, and so it is the residents who keep it all in line.

    Where's my beer?

  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2017 · 321 posts · 524 votes
    7y

    @Charlene McNamara wow great property!  It seems like you're one of the few California investors making cash flow hahaha.  Well done.  I have a w2 as well and have so many co-workers "who just can't live with roommates" and they don't realize how inefficient their finances are.  Just a little creativity like you've done or some small compromise by having a few roommates can really add significant cash flow to your life.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Account Closed if the non-profit owns the house how is he getting paid?  Is he paying himself a wage for services provided??  That isn't a tax efficient way to own a rental property....

  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2017 · 321 posts · 524 votes
    7y

    @Joel Fine Would absolutely not do AirBnB on a property like this.  Mixing single night tenants with long term tenants is a disaster waiting to happen.  I'm a capitalist and always looking to maximize revenue, but a $1,500 monthly profit on my house is plenty high for me.  Sure, on paper, I'd imagine I could get more per room.  But the headaches, potential liability, time, energy, etc. that goes into managing an AirBnB, especially for a house that's my primary residence does not sound appealing at all, regardless of income potential.

    Now, if I could turn this into a hostel and have only short term tenants, that would be an interesting experiment.  But at that point, I would just be trading in my job that I enjoy for a job managing an AirBnB hostel.  I'll pass.

  • Investor · Coimbra, Portugal · Member since 2015 · 54 posts · 37 votes
    7y

    OK, I'll throw in too, these are from a couple of years ago. We bought 3 townhomes in the same complex. All 4 bed / 2 bath / 1600sqft. We don't live in them, but we do rent-by-the-room. 


    Townhome1 (October 2014) - $157k + $10k rehab & furnishings 
    Townhome2 (September 2015) - $181k + $20k rehab & furnishings 
    Townhome3 (January 2017) - $185k + $20k rehab & furnishings 


    Income 3 x ($750+$700+$700+$650) = $8400
    PITI + utilities + internet + TV + HOA = $3909

    Monthly profit before vacancy & repairs =  $4491
    Note vacancy rate is very low since there are 12 doors, and rent very quickly in Denver at these prices.

    The bonus is that we paid $523k for them plus $50k rehab, and maybe $15k in closing costs. Total paid $588k. They are now worth $270k+$280k+$280k = $830k for a gain of $242k on $170k out of pocket (20% of $523k + $50k + $15k).

    -- Mark

  • Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @John Woodrich:

    @Account Closed if the non-profit owns the house how is he getting paid?  Is he paying himself a wage for services provided??  That isn't a tax efficient way to own a rental property....

    I don't know. Great question. He is just starting out, so maybe he's not doing it the best way. I'll convey your feedback. Thanks!

  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2017 · 321 posts · 524 votes
    7y

    @Dieggo Goncalves My buddy who sold me the house had just completed a lease purchase agreement before our agreement so we had a contract template already ready for us.  We just needed to edit the contract to fit our situation.

    Lease option differentiates from a lease purchase when the lease portion is completed.  At that time, a lease option would give me the 'option' to buy.  A lease purchase is an already signed purchase agreement.

    He would like me to finance in a year.  We decided on a year because that's when my tax returns will come back showing I had a significant income and will be able to qualify for traditional lending on this property.  It wasn't in the contract, but we both have incentive for the refinance to take place as soon as possible.

  • New to Real Estate · Marietta, GA · Member since 2018 · 169 posts · 40 votes
    7y
    Thanks for the response.

    Originally posted by @Spencer Cornelia:

    @Dieggo Goncalves My buddy who sold me the house had just completed a lease purchase agreement before our agreement so we had a contract template already ready for us.  We just needed to edit the contract to fit our situation.

    Lease option differentiates from a lease purchase when the lease portion is completed.  At that time, a lease option would give me the 'option' to buy.  A lease purchase is an already signed purchase agreement.

    He would like me to finance in a year.  We decided on a year because that's when my tax returns will come back showing I had a significant income and will be able to qualify for traditional lending on this property.  It wasn't in the contract, but we both have incentive for the refinance to take place as soon as possible.

  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2017 · 321 posts · 524 votes
    7y

    @Jordan Moorhead Just a couple of good decisions and you went from 0 to 20.  House hacking is the greatest secret for financial success in America and we both took advantage.  That's a lot of appreciation on the duplex.  My plan is for this house hack to allow me to begin purchasing at the rate you are.

  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2017 · 321 posts · 524 votes
    7y

    @Quito Keutla House hacking certainly requires compromises on living standards, especially at this level.  I'm aware that I'm in a very unique and short-termed position in life where I can compromise on a lot of things without the need to consult with anyone else.  28 years old, single, no girlfriend, no kids, and a hunger to increase my income at a greater rate than my interest in living by myself.

    This is definitely not forever, but house hacking has provided me with the necessary capital in order to make moves in my real estate investing career.  $800/month for your client is really solid.  I have coworkers living on their own and paying upwards of $1000+ each month.  Blows my mind how much money is being lost to opportunity cost.

  • Specialist · Carolina Beach, NC · Member since 2016 · 390 posts · 496 votes
    7y
  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2017 · 321 posts · 524 votes
    7y

    @Will C. My friend wrote about the house hack here: How I Made $144k in 21 Months House Hacking

    It's been an enjoyable learning experience thus far with learning how to manage so many people.  I think a strong corollary is managing teams of people in Real Estate Investing, which is what I'm looking to do in 2020 (currently 2 rehab teams, ideally 4-5).  Additionally, I've had to learn how to be more assertive.  With so many people living under one roof, you have to set boundaries and rules from day 1 and ensure that they are enforced whenever something comes up.

    Re unrelated people: I spent time looking in the zoning and other related documents online and couldn't find anything.  I've since heard that it may be 5.

    My 2019 estimate of 4x is including all of the rental income.  I have confirmed with my lender that I would qualify without rental income because he does not count it as a projection (meaning I tell him I will rent out all rooms and make X every month).  However, I report all income so my tax returns will show 4x income this year so I can't see him not considering it.

  • Investor · Ann Arbor, MI · Member since 2016 · 71 posts · 56 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Mindy Jensen:

    What are the occupancy limits for unrelated adults living together in the city the home is located in? In a college town near me, the limit is 3 unrelated adults, which severely cramps this sort of house hack, but @Craig Curelop bought a 5 bed, 2 bath house and is successfully renting it out because his city's limits are far more lax. I'd check into this, because while everyone is getting along, this works great but if you're renting to more than the allotted amount and someone gets mad, you'll be turned in. 

    Is everyone on a month to month lease or is there a longer term? 

    In another thread, they said the max amount of unrelated people allowed to live together in Las Vegas is 5.

  • Mindy JensenPro Member
    BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host · Longmont, CO · Member since 2014 · 7k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    7y

    @Dave Homyak , I read that thread, too. (After posting this comment.) 

    @Spencer Cornelia , I think your friend was running on borrowed time, renting out to more people than legally allowed. I would run your House Hack in accordance with the laws. When a disgruntled tenant leaves, sometimes they look up the laws and rat you out.

  • Professional · Anaheim, CA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 686 votes
    7y

    @Spencer Cornelia

    Reminds me of of my good ole college days. House with 4 bedroom and 2 baths shared by 5 guys who turned it into hangout for frat house.

    Terry

  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2017 · 321 posts · 524 votes
    7y

    @Mindy Jensen I actually wasn't aware that a law like this could exist until I saw a reply of yours on a post a few months back.

    I'm not entirely sure how a reasonable person could be expected to know a law like that.  Let's say I killed it with bitcoin and just wanted some friends to live with me in a new 7 bed, 5000 sq ft mansion I just bought.  How would I know that this isn't legal?

    I understand that an easy rebuttal would be - "You should have consulted with a lawyer to buy a unique house" but I don't think it's within reason to expect someone to consult with a lawyer if he/she just wants to get some roommates.

    The area I'm in has a shortage of affordable rentals for people who have low income, bad credit, or a place to live where they don't have to sign a 12 month lease.  I'm offering value to the community and I see no victims so I personally don't see an issue with this.

    I did spend some time reading through the Clark County zoning laws and the online documents and didn't see any mention of unrelated people so I'm not entirely sure where the fine print exists to say the hard rule is 5 people.

    (btw..I'm just ranting.  not trying to argue as what you are saying is valid)

  • Mindy JensenPro Member
    BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host · Longmont, CO · Member since 2014 · 7k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    7y

    @Spencer Cornelia , ignorance of the law is no defense. I'm not familiar with the Clark County zoning limits, but you can bet the zoning department is and can share the information with you.

    Also, I'm not the one who made these laws, I'm just sharing with you that they exist. I think they're silly too, but no one asked my opinion of them.

    However, I used to live across the street from some real dirtbags, and they were all related and it was something like 10 adults (parents, their 5 kids and random other spouses) plus a boatload of kids. So those people were within the law, but shouldn't have been. Sigh.

  • Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2009 · 718 posts · 913 votes
    7y

    7 unrelated people in a 2400 square foot house in a residential neighborhood?  Man, that is going to be a tough one to keep under wraps for an extended period of time.  (I agree with one poster, I'm not even sure how you fit that many bedrooms in a house.)  Traffic, noise, everything.  Nosey neighbors wondering what is up with all the people.  We've got unrelated person laws in Fort Worth limited to 5 unrelated people, and this is an issue with student housing near TCU (i.e. homes rented to college kids).  I know a couple of savvy operators and sometimes they will have one extra person in there, but there's a lot of activity and other landlords with students living in SFRs so they kind of blend in.  If you don't have that kind of camouflage, I worry that you'll stick out like a sore thumb.  Sounds like the numbers still work even if you drop down to 5 people, so it's probably not a big deal I guess.  (That's assuming there is even such a restriction.)

    As an aside, in my area, zoning is generally done by cities, not counties, so I question whether Clark County was the right governmental entity to check.  You may be outside of municipal limits, though, so I'm kind of just speculating.

  • Craig CurelopBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Post Falls, ID · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Spencer Cornelia - I am in Adams county where the limit is 6 people per unit. It's just north of Denver. This "rent by the room" strategy seems to generate the highest potential cash flow. At least at this time in these market conditions. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.