My 1st BRRRR a base hit!

My 1st BRRRR a base hit!

Sean RooksPro Member
Rental Property Investor · High Point, NC · Member since 2017 · 272 posts · 304 votes

Just finished my first deal, a BRRRR triplex in Norfolk, VA

BUY: 2400 sqft triplex:

1) 1bd/1ba 550sqft @ $550/mo

2) 1bd/1ba 625 sqft @ $600/mo

3) 2bd/1ba 1250sqft @ $800/mo

Purchase Price: 136k

Rehab Budget: 60k

Expected ARV: 265k

Expected final rents: $600, $700, $950

Analysis:

REHAB:

RENT: We did a little non-standard rental here. Since it was already rented out, we had to get creative with the rehab and renting.  and We started with the exterior, landscaping, and new HVAC and windows. 

One tenant was evicted for non-payment, so we renovated that next. Then asked if anyone was interested in moving into the newly rehabbed unit while we renovated theirs. This worked for the other 2 units. All are re-rented now (2 to origional tenants) at the prices reflected below

REFINANCE:

REPEAT: As always, there are some errors I want to improve upon for the next. I hope this well help some others. Systems will go into place to prevent repeating errors, and repeating what was successful, 

1) Purchase price too high. I bought this off the MLS, I think I could have negotiated it lower, and in the future will look to more off market deals. I don't regret buying it, as a learned a ton and it still cash flows nicely.

2) Under estimated rehab budget. It was originally built in 1920s. So HVAC costly much more than I budgeted. It was worth it to attract a higher quality tenant, remove the window AC units, and get the tenants paying their own utilities. Next time I'll know whats involved in an older home and have a better estimate on rehab costs for HVAC. (side note: ductless mini-splits are highly efficient and cheaper to install than a full vented system in an older home. Just make sure its a moderate climate as they don't provide tons of heat in cold winters.)

3) Not understanding all the ways an appraiser can appraise small multifamily (read: overestimating ARV). I used only the $/sqft method to find an ARV for this property. ARV is arguable most important number in the analysis. Since I was off by 20k, I left 20k more in the deal than I wanted to. The appraiser used a combination of $/sqft, $/room, and $/apartment. They then averaged the three. My $/sqft was right on, but the other two were lower, bringing the average down.

Summary: With the glass is half full attitude I count this as a base hit. It cashflows at $121/door (goal: $200/door), at an 8.5% CoCROI (goal: Infinate, min goal: 10%), I learned a ton, and got my feet into the small multifamily door. Ready to repeat!

107Reply
419 views

Most Popular Reply

Norfolk, VA · Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 14 votes
7y

@Sean Rooks This is a great breakdown of your first multifamily BRRRR. I hope to get to do this one day with a single family unit in Hampton Roads.

I would like to use your breakdown as a learning opportunity. How long did it take to prepare to my such an investment? Did you already have the financing (down payment, pre-approval in place well beforehand? Did you already have a contractor in place prepared to do repairs? I'm really curious because it seems like it all came together very well for you and you come off as an extremely prepared individual.

See this reply in the discussion

114 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Contractor · 92843, CA - California · Member since 2018 · 32 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    @Sean Rooks

    Throwing my congrats as well.  Thank you for taking the time to post this detailed experience. 

  • Lender · Orlando, FL · Member since 2018 · 173 posts · 66 votes
    7y

    Congrats @Sean Rooks! Thanks for sharing your experience. I am still new to investing and hoping to use the BRRRR strategy in the future. You make a great point that it was a base-hit investment property. Base-hits like this one will continue to build your wealth, and every now and then you will find a home run, I am sure of it. Congrats and can't wait to see what is next for you!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Fredericksburg, VA · Member since 2018 · 96 posts · 58 votes
    7y

    Congrats @Sean Rooks .  Really appreciate the insight into your experience.  Keep up the good work!

  • Rental Property Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2016 · 22 posts · 17 votes
    7y

    Great analysis Sean, we appreciate it! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2018 · 40 posts · 17 votes
    7y

    @Sean Rooks Thanks for the post! Super helpful as i hope to start a BRRR soon as well. Its nice to see your original analysis and then the actual numbers after the fact. In all the BRRR books i've read, they always only reference using cash or a hard money or private lender. I'm assuming you didn't use a hard money lender based on the low interest rate. Never really thought about doing it with a conventional loan before. Gives me other options to think about.

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2019 · 19 posts · 8 votes
    7y

    Congrats!!! I am so glad you shared this with us and really explained and showed the calculations! It's very encouraging to someone like me, a newbie looking to get started! Right now I'm binge listening to podcasts and I'm reading as many books as I can (currently reading David's book on BRRRR). Had you practiced analyzing deals before your first deal? Or did you just jump right in?

  • Developer · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2019 · 30 posts · 25 votes
    7y

    @Sean Rooks

    Did you get it refinanced through a traditional bank? No seasoning period required?

    What rates and terms were you able to get?

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2019 · 9 posts · 7 votes
    7y

    @Sean Rooks

    Very inspiring! Great breakdown, thank you for all the details and timelines.

  • Real Estate Coach · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2016 · 399 posts · 341 votes
    7y

    @Sean Rooks excellent writeup and congrats on the first BRRRR. What route did you take to fund the rehab? Was it all just your own cash?

  • Sean RooksPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · High Point, NC · Member since 2017 · 272 posts · 304 votes
    7y

    @Danielle Sheridan

    -  By "off market deals" I mean, getting any steeper discount at the purchase I can. That can be using a wholesaler, sending out direct mail, or possibly even cold calling landlords in the area. I'm planning on trying all three. 

     - As for the rehab estimate: I heavily relied on Jay Scotts book "Estimating Rehab Costs" and used that to figure it out. In this area another good Rule of Thumb (ROT) is $45/sqft for a heavy rehab(replace everything), $35/sqft for medium(between the two), and $25/sqft for light(paint and carpet

  • Sean RooksPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · High Point, NC · Member since 2017 · 272 posts · 304 votes
    7y

    @Rachelle Duron

    I analyzed about 100 deals before this one. Basically to get a feel for the market and what was selling. A tip, analyze sold deals at first to see cap rates and CoCROI, then once you see a norm, analyze for sale deals. Then once a good one pops up, offer on it, or go see it then offer on it. 

    @Tuvia Goldstein

    I used a traditional bank, the seasoning require was 6 months, but I was at 12 post rehab. I was able to get a 30 year fixed at 4.75%

    @Patrick Menefee

    I was fortunate to be able to use some Private money for the rehab, I also funded the other half with 0%APR credit cards. Not a huge fan, but it worked in this case. 

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 3 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    @Sean Rooks thanks! Will definitely check out that book. On a similar note, any recommended books or strategies for calculating ARV? So appreciative for your insight here.

  • Rental Property Investor · Clovis, NM · Member since 2018 · 118 posts · 55 votes
    7y

    @Shavar G. do you have any recommendations for local banks with the higher LTV?

  • Real Estate Agent · Walnut Creek, CA · Member since 2018 · 6 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    @Sean Rooks congrats on the first brrrr, sounds like the learning will be well worth it to you!

    You mentioned $45/sqft as a ROT for a heavy rehab.  That seems low to me, can you elaborate further?  I'll have to check out the book "Estimating Rehab Costs" as well.  Thanks for any further input on this!

  • Real Estate Broker · Virginia Beach, VA · Member since 2014 · 127 posts · 31 votes
    7y

    @Sean Rooks Bravo! As your research has probably already told you our multi family areas are pretty concentrated in coastal VA. Do you cruise your favorite neighborhoods and look for rental signs? My favorite way to get in touch with owners

    Krissie

  • Member since 2019 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    congrats, sean! i've heard good things about the markets in norfolk/virginia beach. how broad a net did you cast looking for deals, and are there any neighborhoods you stayed away from intentionally while looking?

    ps - what do you think of richmond area?

  • New to Real Estate · Saratoga Spgs, NY · Member since 2018 · 13 posts · 5 votes
    7y

    @Sean Rooks Huge thank you for sharing this. I have a couple more questions for you that I don’t think have been asked yet. Do you live locally to this property or out of state? Do you have a property manager or are you managing yourself?

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2018 · 46 posts · 64 votes
    7y

    Great job and congrats on getting your feet wet! We are working on our first BRRRR, it's taking awhile, but we were conservative with our proforma and hopefully, will still come out ok. Good luck with your next deals!

  • Specialist · Beaverton, OR · Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    Thanks for the detail on your first BRRRR! Really motivating

  • Rental Property Investor · Norfolk, VA · Member since 2013 · 44 posts · 67 votes
    7y

    @Kevin Sack - ABNB Federal Credit Union

  • Contractor · 92843, CA - California · Member since 2018 · 32 posts · 4 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Sean Rooks:

    @Patrick Menefee

    I was fortunate to be able to use some Private money for the rehab, I also funded the other half with 0%APR credit cards. Not a huge fan, but it worked in this case. 

    @Sean Rooks

    In using  your  credit cards, do you literally mean pulling cash out of them?  

  • Sean RooksPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · High Point, NC · Member since 2017 · 272 posts · 304 votes
    7y

    @Danielle Sheridan

    For ARV calculations: I would recommend using an investor friendly realtor to run it for you, then after you've seen a few you can probably calculate it yourself, if you have MLS access. Just remember there are multiple ways an appraiser can determine value ($/sqft, $/room, and $/apartment) for small multifamily.

    @Kevin Sack

    @Kevin Sack

    I do not, otherwise I likely would have used them! The best I know of is 75% around here. If you run into anything higher, let me know. 

    @Eric D Larson

    @Eric D Larson

    Its simply a rough Rule of thumb for an initial look at a property, to see if it warrants a full analysis or showing. For example, we replaced everything on this property except for roof and siding (already completed), so using the $45/sqft and a 2350sqft house, that equal $105k reno. Now we only spent 85k total. But if you added siding and a roof, It looks like that ROT is pretty close. Once you see if the property is a possibility, then I would nail down the rehab costs with some contractor bids. 

    @Krissie Cole

    @Krissie Cole

    I haven't, but thats a fantastic idea I've heard mentioned on the podcast! 

    @Nate Ginsberg

    @Nate Ginsberg

    I did stay away from Portsmouth, you can search on BP about problems with Portsmouth government. However, some people are successful there. I wrote down about 30 addresses of for sale properties in all of Norfolk and Chesapeake then drove by them all, getting a feel for the neighborhoods. This one seemed to be in a quiet area with many other rehabs and new builds. As for Richmond, I'm not sure! I haven't looked there yet, but it sounds like some people are successful there. 

    @Aaron OCallahan

    I am local to this market. I use a Property manager, as it worked for the numbers on this one. However, I do manage a SFR. This is just because of the class of tenant in each, and the tri-plex requiring more attention than I could give with a full-time job. The SFR seems to requires very little of my time!

    @Jay Dang

    @Jay Dang 

    Yes, or using it to pay the contractor directly. 

  • Investor · Tucson, AZ · Member since 2015 · 103 posts · 97 votes
    7y

    @Sean Rooks Way to go!!!!! What a great first experience. A wonderful mixture of learning and success!

  • Rental Property Investor · Sacramento Area, CA · Member since 2017 · 45 posts · 64 votes
    7y

    Great job on your first swing at bat!  Your base hit was better than my first base hit.  Welcome to the biz and realize this is a long term business.  Keep all of us posted on your next project.

  • Specialist · Dallas/Ft Worth TX · Member since 2019 · 37 posts · 36 votes
    7y

    @Sean Rooks sweet! Thanks for the detailed perspective! I’m working on my first deal. What is CoCROI? Cash on cash return on investment?!?!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.