Monster 3 unit BRRRR complete!

Monster 3 unit BRRRR complete!

Rental Property Investor · Hummelstown, PA · Member since 2015 · 638 posts · 653 votes

I completed 4 single family BRRRR's last year, and this year I was ready to take the next step to complete a multifamily BRRRR. This deal was listed on the MLS but was not on my radar until @Travis Wylie texted me the listing.  It IMMEDIATELY got my attention and I was under contract about 24 hours later.  It was listed for $100k and I got it for $85k cash.

The property was a probate property.  It was originally a 3 unit (I converted it back to a 3 unit) and had been in the family since 1946 (and they hadn't done much updating at all!).  It's huge - over 3,000 sq. ft. and each unit is 2 bed, 1 bath, plus there's 2 garage bays.  It's in a fantastic location in arguably one of the hottest rental markets in the Harrisburg, PA area.

I was able to close in cash with some HELOC's and cash leftover from my 2018 BRRRR's. Then I was able to raise the rehab funds using a secured time note from a commercial lender, private loans from friends/family, and a business LOC.

I re-did my analysis on this property literally about 20 times while renovations were ongoing. I ended up putting in A LOT more in renovations than anticipated, but the ARV ended up coming in much higher which compensated for it. I also ended up getting much higher rent than anticipated. This place is going to cash flow like crazy!

Renovations included the following:

•Previously one electrical meter and panel box, installed 4 new meters and 4 new panel boxes, complete rewire of entire building
•New outlets, switches, and light fixtures
•Repaired foundation
•Split gas into 3 meters
•Brand new ductwork, furnaces, and Central AC for Units A & B
•New gutters & downspouts
•Roof, flashing repaired
•Trees around house removed
•Entire exterior painted
•30 windows replaced

•2 new water heaters
•Replaced about 75% of plumbing
•Cleaned out garages, installed divider, and installed new garage doors
•All 3 units:
• New floor & paint, drywall repair
• New kitchen cabinets, counters, appliances
• New toilet, shower/tub, vanity

Purchase price: $85,000

Renovations: $175,000

All-in, including closing & holding costs: $270k

Appraised at $306,000

80% LTV cash out refi (cash back after fees): $236k

So I'm left with about $34k in the deal.  I was able to rent out the units for 1100 (including 1 garage bay), 1000, and 900.  Plus one garage still needs to be rented.  So, gross rents will be over $3,000/month.

After paying PITI, maintenance, management, utilities, and Cap Ex/vacancy allowance I'm cash flowing about $500/month.

This deal was about as big as I could handle - I ALMOST bit off more than I could chew - but I got through it, made a ton of mistakes and learned a ton! I scared a few contractors away, and had to fire another one, but the ones who made it through ended up proving they can handle a big, (relatively) complex project.  We had electrical, HVAC, painters, garage door specialists, and general laborers/handymen on the project, and some days they were all there at once.

The biggest two things I learned were how to better estimate rehabs (this will be an ongoing education) and also how to better estimate ARV on a 2-4 unit property.

Pics below!

76Reply
608 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Member since 2019 · 187 posts · 230 votes
7y

Congrats @Kyle McCorkel, looks great!  Do you know what product was used to refinish the shower tile and bathtub?

See this reply in the discussion

123 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2019 · 17 posts · 10 votes
    7y

    @Kyle M. Wow it looks amazing. I hope to been in your shoes soon with my first BRRRR.

  • Rental Property Investor · NY MA CT VT MT, MO · Member since 2015 · 200 posts · 116 votes
    7y

    @Sheldon Moore, on a multi?  I got all excited about Navy Federal Credit Union, of which we are members, and it turned out they only do Single Family...

  • David C.Pro Member
    Realtor · Oceanside, CA · Member since 2016 · 12 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    Good job!

  • Holliswood, NY · Member since 2017 · 49 posts · 10 votes
    7y

    @Kyle M.Amazing Job great Accomplishment

  • San Antonio, TX · Member since 2019 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @Kyle M.

    THATS FANTASTIC!!!! Great job and your rehab looks good!

  • Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    @Kyle M. I’m super happy for you. You made a huge play the renovations are beautiful and I’m sure the tenants would love it.. Great age on the property as well. You definitely help people like me keep hope alive

  • Jason JamesPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Hillsboro, OR · Member since 2018 · 117 posts · 64 votes
    7y

    @Kyle McCorkel Great story and success. Thanks for sharing man. Good to see you stick through it and learn from the challenges that came you way.

  • Rental Property Investor · Norwalk, CT · Member since 2017 · 171 posts · 138 votes
    7y

    @Kyle M. Awesome congrats

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2010 · 366 posts · 314 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @S L Martinez:

    Great Job!!!

    I am in the process of obtaining my first property. it is a vacant lot, over 1/3 acre, zoned multi family per the Realtor though he suggest to verify this with the city. I am hoping to put two duplexes on the property. I have funding lined up (100% of the purchase price and 100% for construction). I also have a title company doing research on the property to make sure the seller is indeed the owner, free and clear. All utilities on the property. Am waiting for confirmation from the city of Centralia, Washington on the multi family zoning. Have the General Contractor lined up as well as a landscaper. Centralia Washington is a small college town, only about 4,000 students and there is a housing shortage.  

    I should have no problem leasing out the property.

    But back to you, again great job. I hope to be as successful at my venture as you with your

     I would check not only on the actual zoning (and titling) of this lot, but also try to suss out the mood of the planning department and make sure that they are "pro" multi-family BEFORE you buy the property.  Politics change faster than zoning and fighting city hall can be very expensive. Here in San Diego I know of cases where land would be zoned for say 4 acre parcels, but as soon as the owner tried to split it the county would arbitrarily decide to require 8 acres. You'd really much rather NOT fight city hall if you can avoid it.

  • Rental Property Investor · Laconia, NH · Member since 2018 · 37 posts · 51 votes
    7y

    Nice work! I am working on my first multi-family BRRR in NH and it is turning into a beast as well. Massive 3300 sq ft three unit as well and we are way behind schedule as no one was able to get started on the project until about five weeks in. Once completed this property will cash flow around $1000/ month, but I am still a few months out. Knee deep in rehab. Thanks for the inspiration.

  • Specialist · Etters, PA · Member since 2019 · 8 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    I got to see this property during renovation and was impressed with end result.  Great job

    @Kyle M.

  • Investor · Saint Joseph, MO · Member since 2016 · 69 posts · 23 votes
    7y

    @Kyle M. Great job! Truly inspiring! I am looking to use the brrr strategy as well but am a little intimidated by estimating rehab costs. Thanks for sharing your struggles and lessons learned.

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2019 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @Kyle M. Great job!

  • Washington, DC · Member since 2014 · 3 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    Congrats on completing this 3-unit project, Kyle. Sounds like there were tons of takeaways that will help guide you moving forward!

  • Claire AustilPro Member
    Investor · Moore, SC · Member since 2017 · 7 posts · 6 votes
    7y

    @Kyle M. Congratulations man... We are at the tail end of 3 SF rehabs in 4 months and your story is very inspiring. Totally get the feeling of biting off more than we can chew. Way to BRRRR man! How was your cashout experience for the multifamily vs the single family

    .. bank is making us jump through more numerous and tighter hoops? 🙄

  • Rental Property Investor · Hummelstown, PA · Member since 2015 · 638 posts · 653 votes
    7y

    @Claire Austil

    The cashout experience was very similar to the 4 single family that I did in 2018. But I’m sure that will vary based on the lender.

    For me it was easy because the lender had worked with me on 4 deals already, now we were just dealing with a bigger property and larger loan amount.

  • Claire AustilPro Member
    Investor · Moore, SC · Member since 2017 · 7 posts · 6 votes
    7y

    @Kyle M. Thanks for that feedback. Excellent job again. And good luck on your future endeavors

  • Rental Property Investor · Irvington, NJ · Member since 2018 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @Kyle M.

    Amazing job and inspiring!! I am currently in the middle of my first BRRR in Essex county NJ.6 months shy from a cash out refi.Currently trying to force appreciation.Love seeing these posts!

  • Real Estate Agent · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2018 · 258 posts · 136 votes
    7y

    @Kyle M. This is inspiring! Thank you for sharing with us!

  • Real Estate Broker · IL · Member since 2016 · 284 posts · 178 votes
    7y

    @Kyle McCorkel

    On your next project like this what do you plan on doing different as far as estimating? My long term goal is to BRRRR and I'm trying to learn as much as possible about estimating repairs material wise

  • Rental Property Investor · Hummelstown, PA · Member since 2015 · 638 posts · 653 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @John Burtle:

    @Kyle McCorkel

    On your next project like this what do you plan on doing different as far as estimating? My long term goal is to BRRRR and I'm trying to learn as much as possible about estimating repairs material wise

    I'm currently working with my partner/contractor to create an actual checklist to take to properties.  We want it to list out literally every part of the property, things to look for, and questions to ask.  Every item on the list will have an estimate.  The goal will be to get a scope as complete as possible on the initial walk through so we can come up with a much more accurate initial rehab estimate.

  • Jake ThorntonPro Member
    Camas, WA · Member since 2019 · 44 posts · 36 votes
    7y

    That's amazing. Really inspiring. Thank you for sharing. 

  • Member since 2019 · 8 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @Kyle M. Thanks for sharing your inspiring success! If you don't mind sharing, are you doing this under an LLC or individual? I'm just about to get into my first brrr and still on the fence about the pro/cons. One of my concerns is the cash out refinance under an LLC will be tough unless with a portfolio lender and that is something I'm just getting familiar with.

  • Loan Officer / Processor / Life & Health Agent · Rancho Cucamonga, CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 757 votes
    7y

    @Kyle M.

    Great job, who did you use to get 80% cash out on a 3 unit investment property? Also, what type of rate and terms did you secure if you don't mind me asking?

  • Rental Property Investor · Hummelstown, PA · Member since 2015 · 638 posts · 653 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Albert David Penney:

    @Kyle M. Thanks for sharing your inspiring success! If you don't mind sharing, are you doing this under an LLC or individual? I'm just about to get into my first brrr and still on the fence about the pro/cons. One of my concerns is the cash out refinance under an LLC will be tough unless with a portfolio lender and that is something I'm just getting familiar with.

    I'm doing an LLC, but only because I found an outstanding portfolio lender who will lend to LLC's!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.