Just completed first BRRRR

Just completed first BRRRR

Attorney · Chicago, IL · Member since 2019 · 41 posts · 35 votes

Investment Info:

Single-family residence buy & hold investment.

Purchase price: $27,500
Cash invested: $12,500

BRRRR property. Purchased at auction. Completed mostly cosmetic rehab in 30 days. Rented for $1000/month. In the process of refinancing with the expectation that I will be able to cash out 100% of my cash investment. Very excited about this first BRRRR property.

What made you interested in investing in this type of deal?

BRRRR generally makes sense to me. I love the idea of recycling my capital to accelerate growth.

How did you find this deal and how did you negotiate it?

I found this deal on auction.com; I bid an amount just greater than the reserve amount on the property.

How did you finance this deal?

I paid for the property and rehab with cash. I'm in the process of completing a cash-out refinance and expect that I will be able to pull out 100% of the cash invested.

How did you add value to the deal?

I undertook a pretty thorough cosmetic rehab of the property, which included new floors on the main level; fresh paint on all walls, trim, windows, and doors; new countertop and sink in kitchen; new stainless steel appliances; new tub and surround and painted/updated bathroom; and epoxy paint to floor of basement.

What was the outcome?

Very pleased with the outcome. We completed the rehab in 30 days; the house was leased within two weeks following completion of rehab; and we are now in the process of completing a cash-out refinance.

Lessons learned? Challenges?

I spent a lot of time educating myself about the BRRRR process for months leading up to this first purchase. Through that education, which included reading articles, books, and listening to dozens of podcasts, I was able to avoid many of the potential pitfalls that I may have otherwise hit. Do your educational due diligence before you dive in. That education will give you the confidence that you need to complete the project in a timely manner at a cost that you can adequately estimate.

13Reply
82 views

Most Popular Reply

Jaron WallingPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
6y

@Rich Hupper I can buy property for $27K in Indy. 

I'd have my car stolen while working on the place but who cares right? 

See this reply in the discussion

57 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Broker / Investor · Tewksbury, MA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 351 votes
    6y

    I have been having an issue on auction.com where the reserves all seem too high. When you applied for a loan, did they look at your personal income? Would they only give you 75% of the ARV?

    With the 1000/m income how much are you cash flowing after PITI Capex, Maintenance, and Vacancy.

  • Attorney · Chicago, IL · Member since 2019 · 41 posts · 35 votes
    6y

    I agree that typically the reserves are too high. I watched this particular one for several rounds and was able to grab it after they lowered the reserve. Still think I was the only one interested in this property. No loan app --- they only accepted cash payment. If you mean on the refi - yes, they looked at my personal income and are loaning 75% of the ARV. All in, I should cash flow approximately $300/month.

  • Broker / Investor · Tewksbury, MA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 351 votes
    6y

    @Bryan Johnson very nice cashflow. I almost had completed a successful BRRRR but the rate was too high and the appraised value didn't come in high enough. I would have had to come up with 20k in cash to pay back my private lender.

    Smart move watching auction.com like a hawk and waiting for the reserve to come down. Especially this time of year, most people are not watching the auctions, or going to the physical ones.

  • Attorney · Chicago, IL · Member since 2019 · 41 posts · 35 votes
    6y

    @Rich Hupper

    Any other sites you like for auctions? I’ve heard Xome, but haven’t looked at it closely yet.

  • Broker / Investor · Tewksbury, MA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 351 votes
    6y

    @Bryan Johnson auction.com and hubzu are the big ones I think. Either way I always cross reference the auctions you see online with the actual auctioneers website conducting the auction.  The best thing to do is watch for public notices in the local papers for in person auctions. Even less people show up to those. However like the online auctions the opening bid is usually too high and these are pre foreclosure auctions. You will likely assume a tenant with these. They also get delayed or cancelled so you literally need to call the auctioneer or check their website before you go. 

  • Attorney · Chicago, IL · Member since 2019 · 41 posts · 35 votes
    6y

    @Rich Hupper

    Good stuff - thanks Rich!

  • Andrew SyriosPro Member
    Moderator
    Residential Real Estate Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    6y

    Great job Bryan and wow! I haven't seen prices like that in a long time. 

  • Jaron WallingPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Andrew Syrios:

    Great job Bryan and wow! I haven't seen prices like that in a long time. 

    Same here. What market is this in? No way it's in mine. haha

  • Broker / Investor · Tewksbury, MA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 351 votes
    6y

    Yes those prices are amazing. I wish I could find stuff that cheap near me. $300 /m return with so much less risk would be amazing.

  • Jaron WallingPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y

    @Rich Hupper I can buy property for $27K in Indy. 

    I'd have my car stolen while working on the place but who cares right? 

  • Broker / Investor · Tewksbury, MA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 351 votes
    6y

    Hahaha

  • Attorney · Chicago, IL · Member since 2019 · 41 posts · 35 votes
    6y

    @Andrew Syrios

    Thanks, Andrew! I actually have a number of contacts in the KC area and am looking to build some deal flow there.

  • Attorney · Chicago, IL · Member since 2019 · 41 posts · 35 votes
    6y

    @Jaron Walling

    Thanks! This property is located in Rockford, IL.

  • Attorney · Chicago, IL · Member since 2019 · 41 posts · 35 votes
    6y

    @Rich Hupper

    Price to rents are really solid, but I don’t have near the potential for appreciation like I suspect you do...

  • Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2019 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    @Bryan

    Great BRRRR! I was wondering if the lender you used required a minimum period before the cash-out refinancing ("seasoning period", typically 6 months based on what I was reading).

  • Attorney · Chicago, IL · Member since 2019 · 41 posts · 35 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Jeremy Kister:

    @Bryan

    Great BRRRR! I was wondering if the lender you used required a minimum period before the cash-out refinancing ("seasoning period", typically 6 months based on what I was reading).

    No. Lender is not requiring any seasoning period.

  • Real Estate Broker · IL · Member since 2016 · 284 posts · 178 votes
    6y
    Good job! Keep up the good work!
  • Rental Property Investor · Caledonia, IL · Member since 2015 · 289 posts · 213 votes
    6y

    Well done Bryan - especially being patient and studying methodologies. Congrats!

  • Rental Property Investor · Temecula, CA · Member since 2019 · 128 posts · 54 votes
    6y

    @Bryan Johnson Did the lender not require the seasoning period because you paid all cash?

  • Attorney · Chicago, IL · Member since 2019 · 41 posts · 35 votes
    6y

    @Matt Everling

    Frankly I do not know why the lender is not requiring a 6 month seasoning period. Likely because it’s a small local bank with whom I have had a lifetime relationship (and have borrowed successfully on other investments with this bank).

  • Attorney · Chicago, IL · Member since 2019 · 41 posts · 35 votes
    6y

    @Derrick Burtle

    Thanks!

  • Attorney · Chicago, IL · Member since 2019 · 41 posts · 35 votes
    6y

    @Chris Youssi

    Thanks, Chris! Would appreciate the opportunity to connect and discuss your business given location.

  • Jaron WallingPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y

    @Matt Everling The seasoning period is determined in house by the bank. The general rule is 6 months but you can always shop around. He could be utilizing a commercial loan as well which has different terms (pros & cons).  

  • Stephen KeigheryBusiness Member
    Rental Property Investor · New Orleans, LA · Member since 2018 · 716 posts · 555 votes
    6y

    @Bryan Johnson great result to get the property turned and leased so quickly. What do you think the house will appraise at now?

    Home Buyer Louisiana4.855 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · Roselle, IL · Member since 2020 · 30 posts · 12 votes
    6y

    Great post and great job.   Good reading for an new investor in research phase.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.