First Flip Complete!

First Flip Complete!

Rental Property Investor 路 Atlanta, GA 路 Member since 2019 路 84 posts 路 56 votes

Investment Info:

Single-family residence fix & flip investment in Atlanta.

Purchase price: $34,080
Cash invested: $114,222
Sale price: $385,000

This was my first investment property. I was able to stop the foreclosure, put in probate, purchase, stop abatement, rehab and sell! I initially was going to keep it as a rental property, but the market called for me to flip it.

What made you interested in investing in this type of deal?

I wanted to hold the property, but I wouldn鈥檛 have made my money back in the time desired. Since I decided I did have multiple exit strategies (Hold, Flip, wholesale), I thought that it would be a great opportunity to work on a flip and learn as much as I could.

I actually never had interest in flipping, but now I鈥檓 looking for another one!

How did you find this deal and how did you negotiate it?

Driving for dollars and searching the auctions. I was able to build a rapport with the heir to the property and wanted to help them not lose it completely without profit. They allowed me to work with the bank and get them to stop the foreclosure to find out the actual mortgage amount which gave me time to put it into probate to attempt the purchase. It was a very complex situation, but with lots of determination and BiggerPockets, I was able to learn all that I needed to know.

How did you finance this deal?

I paid cash for the home and was able to find an amazing partner, who I could trust and was willing to work with me as a newbie. We were then able to find a private investor to put up 90K and we put up the rest of the money to perform the rehab.

How did you add value to the deal?

Value was added by determining that it was better to expand the property by 800 sqft and work on it as new construction by gutting the home and building it out.

I have great follow through and by performing extensive due diligence, it ended up paying off well.

What was the outcome?

An amazing, quality property that went under contract in 5 days!

Lessons learned? Challenges?

So many lessons! Learning the market and understanding costs is so important. Also, building relationships with the city to build trust allowed the 2 month permitting process to go smoothly.

The biggest challenge was that by the time I could purchase it, the home was in abatement. It took 2 months before I figured out who to speak to in order to get it lifted.

I learned everything on my first deal from acquisition, probate, abatement, permitting, project management, and selling.

Did you work with any real estate professionals (agents, lenders, etc.) that you'd recommend to others?

I had two amazing realtors who understand how it is to work with investors.
Purchase: Marta Brown, Blue Peach Realty
Sale: Eric Feng, Keller Williams

I learned so much from them and I鈥檓 forever grateful!

27Reply
54 views

Most Popular Reply

Omaha, NE 路 Member since 2017 路 21 posts 路 18 votes
4y

Wow! This was your first investment property? Incredible. It looks like you handled all the problems that came your way like a champ.

In the finance portion of your post, you mentioned you were able to find an amazing partner as well as a private investor. I'm curious, how were you able to meet them? Any tips for building rapport with these folks? Unless it was just natural charisma of course..

See this reply in the discussion

30 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Alicia MarksPro Member
    Fort Worth, TX 路 Member since 2020 路 1k+ posts 路 2k+ votes
    4y

    Wow Simone, talk about a home run! It sounds like you overcame a lot of challenges to get this fantastic deal done. What are a few lessons you will take to the next one, good or bad?

  • Helen, GA 路 Member since 2015 路 96 posts 路 68 votes
    4y

    Congratulations! The first property is always the hardest!

    I remember the first property I purchased from the owner with cash, the day before foreclosure auction...I was terrified the bank didn't pay off all the liens and that it went to auction! 

  • Omaha, NE 路 Member since 2017 路 21 posts 路 18 votes
    4y

    Wow! This was your first investment property? Incredible. It looks like you handled all the problems that came your way like a champ.

    In the finance portion of your post, you mentioned you were able to find an amazing partner as well as a private investor. I'm curious, how were you able to meet them? Any tips for building rapport with these folks? Unless it was just natural charisma of course..

  • Rental Property Investor 路 Atlanta, GA 路 Member since 2019 路 84 posts 路 56 votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Alicia Marks:

    Wow Simone, talk about a home run! It sounds like you overcame a lot of challenges to get this fantastic deal done. What are a few lessons you will take to the next one, good or bad?

    Hi! Thank you! Yes. There were SO many challenges, but I was determined to make it happen. When I think about lessons, so much comes to mind as I am still wrapping my brain around it all, even now, I'm still learning. 

    Due diligence is crucial! I did my own title searches and with the help of seller, had most canceled before purchase except one.

    The probate nice is something I wasn't aware of until the seller started getting calls left and right. I sat in the car and wrote out my contract on a pad and explained that we were officially under contract until I had my awesome realtor create one. I learned to put a memorandum on the home at the sheriffs office as a "lien" to further secure my deal.

    Doing my research and communication with everyone from the court, bank, attorneys, etc.on a constant basis ensured that nothing was delayed or missed.

    I learned about abatements and how to get to the next level when I had a uncooperative code enforcement office. I was able to write the mayor and council members and attend a meeting to show how I was committed to improving the town and why they should release it to me. They were hesitant to get another "investor" who would wholesale and leave it sitting or that I would do it right even though I had no experience. Building relationships is so important. I will never undervalue it and use that skill forever.

    I learned how to stay abreast of all expenses and stay involved so that nothing was slipping through the cracks. 

    The MOST important thing that I learned was how important it is to partner up with the RIGHT PERSON. Two are better than one and we have such a great rapport and worked well together and spoke our vision and were on the same page from the start. Also, documenting everything (Operating Agreement, etc. that I created on a forms website) and having official terms set kept any confusion about anyones role or finances. 

    Thank you again for your comment and thoughtful question!

  • Rental Property Investor 路 Atlanta, GA 路 Member since 2019 路 84 posts 路 56 votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Kohei Hayashi:

    Wow! This was your first investment property? Incredible. It looks like you handled all the problems that came your way like a champ.

    In the finance portion of your post, you mentioned you were able to find an amazing partner as well as a private investor. I'm curious, how were you able to meet them? Any tips for building rapport with these folks? Unless it was just natural charisma of course..

    Hi! Yes! I know right? I am still surprised that I pulled this off. Thank You!

    Yes. I always heard "Find a real deal and you'll find the money". It's true! Finding a partner was not easy and it came from networking. I am part of the GA Reia and pre covid, I went to the meetings and build meet ups regularly. I will admit, that no one wanted to partner with me initially since I was new. I also attended all the auctions and workshops that they offered. I saw my partner twice before I realized he would be a good fit to work with as he was a guest speaker at both and I attended one of his builds. I had his information from the first meeting when I learned he was a member of my REIA. When I was looking for a GC, I contacted him because I felt that he was upfront and honest and had a reputation to keep. (I was gotten over on when my true first opportunity was lost to a dishonest investor.)

    I liked that he didn't even want to see the home before I had it under contract. When I discussed expansion, I realized that I had more and more questions and asked if he would consider being a bit more than a contractor. It was because I had my personal business lined up, done the work with probate and the bank ( the house was initially in foreclosure and I had to stop the auction with 6 days and no experience or help) and had already company, bank accounts, etc. He liked that I had really dug deep into the project and was committed.

    My partner actually bought me the private lender (Network!) as the lending company that we were using initially back out with covid underwriting issues due to the abatement and I wasn't willing to put certain terminology in the agreement. He had someone that was willing to front the majority of the rehab. This is why I can now agree with the "find the deal" saying. He bought so much value by helping me with that and allowing me to not have to apply for another fix and flip loan. He says that he likes that I had everything together and made it a smooth process for him to come into, plus I did put up for the purchase which allowed him to know that I had "skin in the game" and was all in.

    I was also grateful because he agreed initially to keep me involved in the actual rehab. I didn't get his contacts off the top. I had to find and interview every party( surveys, architects, realtors, etc.). It was a great opportunity since I was the project manager and him the GC and technically could have let him do most of it without my participation. I was on site regularly, and was able to learn the construction side of everything as opposed to just getting it under contract and having the GC do everything labor related. 

    There is power in having more than one person on a deal, in my personal opinion and I like being able to have value added, as well as adding value. Thank you for your comment and question.

  • Rental Property Investor 路 Atlanta, GA 路 Member since 2019 路 84 posts 路 56 votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Rolly Weaver:

    Congratulations! The first property is always the hardest!

    I remember the first property I purchased from the owner with cash, the day before foreclosure auction...I was terrified the bank didn't pay off all the liens and that it went to auction! 

    Thank you! It was so hard! I remember everyone telling me to get a bankruptcy attorney and I didn't have the money for it. I would be on the phone with the seller walking them through answers to questions I didn't know! I was able to stop the auction the day of literally! 

  • Member since 2019 路 7 posts 路 5 votes
    4y

    Just wanted to congratulate you on your success, you made life better for yourself and whoever ends up living there.

  • Rental Property Investor 路 Bronx, NY 路 Member since 2017 路 152 posts 路 65 votes
    4y

    Congrats Simone! You deserve it as you def put in the work. Now perhaps after you & your partner are compensated you can find that true buy & hold you really wanted, Keep going!

  • Investor 路 Philadelphia, PA 路 Member since 2014 路 133 posts 路 49 votes
    4y

    Congratulations @Simone Johnson! Those are amazing numbers. Regarding the decision to sell vs. rent, as an alternative to selling, did you consider doing a cash-out refinance in order to pull out the equity in excess of what you had into it? Based on the numbers, you should have been able to pull out at least $130-140K, free of taxes and selling costs. 

  • Flipper/Rehabber 路 Member since 2021 路 18 posts 路 7 votes
    4y

    @Simone Johnson I have to say you are my Atl hero and inspiration. Being new myself and new to the area, you doing this just reaffirmed that their are good people here willing to help you if you show them commitment and drive. Rock on.

  • Ian WalshBusiness Member
    Lender 路 Philadelphia, PA 路 Member since 2016 路 2k+ posts 路 1k+ votes
    4y

    Congrats!

  • Real Estate Agent 路 Baltimore, MD 路 Member since 2016 路 45 posts 路 34 votes
    4y

    @Simone Johnson

    Congratulations Simone! The house looks amazing. I am looking forward to see where go next with your REI start. 馃槉

  • Wale LawalBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker 路 Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX 路 Member since 2018 路 5k+ posts 路 2k+ votes
    4y

    Congratulations. The property looks great. Where is this property located in Atlanta?

  • Investor 路 West Palm Beach, FL 路 Member since 2017 路 94 posts 路 32 votes
    4y

    @Simone Johnson

    Congrats on a wonderful deal!! I used Marta near the end of my last flip as a project manager. She was great. Did you use her contractors to complete the work?

  • Rental Property Investor 路 Atlanta, GA 路 Member since 2019 路 84 posts 路 56 votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Wyatt Drouin:

    Just wanted to congratulate you on your success, you made life better for yourself and whoever ends up living there.

    Thank you SO MUCH! The buyer loves her new home!! And the neighbors too because of how much I sold it for lol!

  • Rental Property Investor 路 Atlanta, GA 路 Member since 2019 路 84 posts 路 56 votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Otis Sanders:

    @Simone Johnson

    Congrats on a wonderful deal!! I used Marta near the end of my last flip as a project manager. She was great. Did you use her contractors to complete the work?

    I actually didn't. I know she is a great property manager though! I hope to use her services for my rentals eventually! 

  • Rental Property Investor 路 Atlanta, GA 路 Member since 2019 路 84 posts 路 56 votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Wale Lawal:

    Congratulations. The property looks great. Where is this property located in Atlanta?

    Thank you so much! It's in Hapeville, which is in Fulton county.

  • Rental Property Investor 路 Atlanta, GA 路 Member since 2019 路 84 posts 路 56 votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Herbert Lewis:

    @Simone Johnson

    Congratulations Simone! The house looks amazing. I am looking forward to see where go next with your REI start. 馃槉

    Thank you! I have finally broken down and hired a VA and purchased some CRM software programs to help me. I realized that I really don't like cold calling!馃槴

  • Rental Property Investor 路 Atlanta, GA 路 Member since 2019 路 84 posts 路 56 votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Ian Walsh:

    Congrats!

    Thank you so much!

  • Rental Property Investor 路 Atlanta, GA 路 Member since 2019 路 84 posts 路 56 votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Kenneth Pratt:

    @Simone Johnson I have to say you are my Atl hero and inspiration. Being new myself and new to the area, you doing this just reaffirmed that their are good people here willing to help you if you show them commitment and drive. Rock on.

    Thank you! There are so many people willing to truly help. I learned that having most of the work done, as well as some cash on hand to show I'm committed helps. By keeping up with relationships, and building trust by having a good work ethic and determination helps! Keep networking! Welcome to the A!

  • Rental Property Investor 路 Atlanta, GA 路 Member since 2019 路 84 posts 路 56 votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Jibu V.:

    Congratulations @Simone Johnson! Those are amazing numbers. Regarding the decision to sell vs. rent, as an alternative to selling, did you consider doing a cash-out refinance in order to pull out the equity in excess of what you had into it? Based on the numbers, you should have been able to pull out at least $130-140K, free of taxes and selling costs. 

    Thank you! Yes. I truly had some beginners luck with finding this one. I purchased with cash and flipped straight out. I wanted to BRRR, but didnt hold the property long enough to be able to pull anything. Once permits were in, we were done in about 5 months.

  • Rental Property Investor 路 Atlanta, GA 路 Member since 2019 路 84 posts 路 56 votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Santiago Marquez:

    Congrats Simone! You deserve it as you def put in the work. Now perhaps after you & your partner are compensated you can find that true buy & hold you really wanted, Keep going!

    Thank you! That is the goal now! I will! I am hooked and committed!

  • Member since 2020 路 42 posts 路 12 votes
    4y

    @Simone Johnson

    Congrats Simone. I鈥檓 looking to start investing in Georgia, one of the locations is Atlanta very soon. Any suggestions?

  • Rental Property Investor 路 Member since 2021 路 384 posts 路 197 votes
    4y

    Congratulations @Simone Johnson Thank you for sharing your story!

  • Wale LawalBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker 路 Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX 路 Member since 2018 路 5k+ posts 路 2k+ votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Simone Johnson:
    Originally posted by @Wale Lawal:

    Congratulations. The property looks great. Where is this property located in Atlanta?

    Thank you so much! It's in Hapeville, which is in Fulton county.

     Great! Congratulations once again. Wish you more success.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.