Where’s the Bubble?

Where’s the Bubble?

Developer · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2014 · 475 posts · 424 votes

Hello everyone-

Please keep in mind- that this post is of my opinion only, based on my knowledge of the US economy and real estate markets.

Now, this discussion about a bubble and a crash in the real estate market has been going on for a few years. Let’s say since around 2016 but prices have only continued to rise. However, now we find ourselves in a very unique environment.

First, let me say that the next crisis will not be with the homeowner like ‘07-‘08. Why? Because that crisis was based off terrible lending practices. Anyone with a heart beat could a get a loan and a lot of these loans were variable interest rate loans. Most homeowner loans today are low Interest fixed rate loans. Therefore, even when rates do rise- payments are staying the same. Not a major problem there.

So, where is the problem? I think we are going to see major problems in the commercial arena. I’ve seen too many syndicators and personally talked to a few who are underwriting deals at a 3% cap. This is unheard of and quite frankly bad risk management in my opinion. Why you ask?

All of these deals are based on rents rising and syndicators being able to refinance or sell on a 3-7 year period. The problem is no one is considering the chance of rising rates, but I think this is a real viable option. Jerome Powell has finally admitted that Inflation is not transitory. If inflation gets too out of hand- the FED will have to deal with it. How do you tame inflation? The gov’t could spend their way out of it or they could shrink the money supply. I personally feel the government has been spending way too much and I vote for contraction of the money supply. Meaning the FED would have to raise rates. Well as a syndicator if you have to refinance at a higher rate….well the deal goes from good to suspect real quick.

Cheap credit has its pros and cons but I think this period of low interest rates has served it’s purpose. To me, this era has more in common with the late 1970s than many would like to admit. The question is, will we have a Fed Chairman like Paul Volcker to do what needs to be done?

I’d love to hear others opinion on the matter.

Just my 2 cents.

Happy Investing.

Canesha

30Reply
78 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · RVA · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
4y
Originally posted by @Austin Johnson:

Canesha, do you ever listen to The Peter Schiff show? I've listened a bit in the past (so somethings I say may be dated as I'm not updated)
my understanding was a spike in interest rates would collapse the economy. interest rates are lower than 2008 and have held to that low for WAY longer than needed. I don't see The Fed raising any time soon. 
Description of Schiff's latest episode:
"Fed can’t fight inflation without deflating inflated economic bubble. Data shows biggest drop in productivity in 62 years. Consumer prices are headed much higher. Real wages are headed much lower" 
that basically sums it up for me. It feels like we're in the no mans land here. The Fed will threaten to raise the rates, act like they're 'about ready to maybe start thinking about it in the future' but ultimately I doubt they do. should they? yes. but with the GDP down, people still not working, the "new strain" it gives them endless slack and excuses not to. idk, hopefully I'm wrong and interest rates spike, combating inflation and prices tank, syndications go under, stocks tank, our economy  plummets and they step back in and lower them again. 
sorry for the long winded response! haha.

I like Peter. The problem with listening to him consistently, though, is he always sings exactly the same tune. This ship is doomed very soon and gold is your only way out. He's been saying that for quite literally decades. The only reason he called the Great Recession is because he is always predicting a downturn. When you're always calling for a downturn, eventually you'll be right. That's the business cycle. I know Peter knows about business cycles because I've read his books, but he doesn't really seem to apply that knowledge to his investing strategy.

To address the OP:

We can't predict future movements of the Federal Reserve, but if we take what they say at face value they'll be tapering very soon. However, I believe we should also consider how they've behaved in the recent past. Specifically, the inability to raise rates prior to Covid. They briefly raised, saw that the markets didn't like it, and started to drop rates once again. The same people are still at the helm.

That all being said, responsible underwriting always bakes in cap rate expansion and assumes exit cap rates higher than entry. 

I believe the biggest risks for syndicated deals now are:

  • - Poor Underwriting (Less so cap rates and more timeframe, expenses, and potential rent upside)
  • - Poor Physical Due Diligence (You need to find where the bodies are buried!)
  • - Poor Asset Management (PMs will always underperform if not managed)
See this reply in the discussion

71 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Contractor · Grand Marais, MN · Member since 2016 · 249 posts · 417 votes
    4y

    @Canesha Edwards not saying I disagree with anything you have said, but if you see an item "on sale", but wait a week, and pay full price, nothing has fundamentally changed, other than the price. 2008 was a huge sale, and things didn't snap back in a week. The value of a dollar has eroded, so houses are not worth more, it is that the dollar is worth less, we just see it through a different lens. If McDonald's used to pay 10, and now pay 18, they are not paying for 80 percent more output. I'm a gc, and the labor squeeze is real, if I pay more for labor, every house in the neighborhood goes up in price. I have no idea where it ends, but demand has not yet been met

  • Developer · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2014 · 475 posts · 424 votes
    4y

    @Matt Groth

    That’s a good way to put it. I guess the bigger problem is the eroding dollar and not the real estate market itself. The supply and labor shortages definitely have amplified the problem.

  • Member since 2021 · 237 posts · 153 votes
    4y

    @Canesha Edwards

    Take what you’ve stated and x10 for a handful of Canadian markets. Buyers remorse and underwater deals coming 5 years from now without a doubt.

  • Realtor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2019 · 95 posts · 87 votes
    4y

    @Canesha Edwards

    People love the doom and gloom. When I was in financial advising for 7 years during a bull market run I heard all the same things. But technology and innovation along with our consumerism economy has pushed stocks to record highs and as companies keep increasing their revenue and profit margins much of that is justified. In real estate the low interest rates have been a huge help absolutely. But got to look at the catalysts for real estate as well other than low interest rates. There still is a shortage in affordable housing, as inflation heats up real estate is more attractive because borrowers win compared to lenders in that environment and it’s an inflation hedge, and with all the equity build up over the years many people have tapped into that in order to buy more real estate keeping the demand high (the younger crowd especially is losing faith in programs such as social security and no pensions anymore so real estate has become even more attractive from that standpoint also). As a realtor here in JAX I see it all the time. It is fun to see people build their wealth and be a part of that. But those are the arguments against a 2008 event. But I personally feel things will or at least should go down or at least plateau. It does go market by market as well but that is the experience I am seeing not only in FL but in much of the South. But also remember you can make money in any market dependent on your strategy of course and if you are a long term hold guy and the property is cash flowing today with some buffer, then why think short term? Hope this helps!

  • Rental Property Investor · Knoxville, TN · Member since 2011 · 701 posts · 531 votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Bruce Woodruff:
    Originally posted by @Christopher B.:

    I'm not a fan of bailouts but I'd love to hear what you think should have been done differently. 

    Speaking in very general terms, you have to let things fail sometimes. Regardless of the consequences. Yes it hurts but ripping off the bandaid is the quickest way to recovery for anything/anyone. We would have had a serious collapse but better than what we got. We taught the irresponsible that they will be forgiven no matter what they do. And the financial gift was selective. Another bad lesson.

    I don't disagree that golden parachutes shouldn't be handed out. Ultimately there needed to be repercussions for those responsible and there were not. You don't consciously tank the worlds economy to teach a few bad apples a lesson though. I think OP said it best, what changes came from that event that improved the financial system.. overall I don't see anything drastic. However, I am glad I didn't live through a Great Depression eating wild onion soup like my grandfather. 

  • Developer · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2014 · 475 posts · 424 votes
    4y

    @Allen Williams

    I was never alluding to an ‘08 like crash, as you stated the factors this time around are different.

    As you mentioned there is a lack of “affordable”housing. Which the homes being built today aren’t affordable. Starter home prices being at $250k here in Atlanta, well now it’s more around $300k.

    The point of my post was to bring light to some of the syndicated deals that I’ve been seeing and the risk that’s there. I don’t care what the projected rent increase is, and all the underwriting metrics. I’m not the investor to invest in these low cap rate value add deals. People do and make money, I’m just not one of those peoples.

  • Developer · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2014 · 475 posts · 424 votes
    4y

    @David Lilley

    Your underwriting metrics are fine and well thought out, but with the way inflation is rising- you have to account for the prices of everything else rising as well. So, while your median income is probably 2.5x or 3x your rent price,now all other living expenses are increasing at the same. Food is more expensive, gas is more expensive, living altogether, more expense. Therefore, your 2.5x income is dwindling and could be more around around 1x. Just my view.

    Either way, I’m not here to poke holes in your investment strategy. I’m just not one to invest in a value- add deal at lower yields.

    Canesha

  • Investor · Riverside, CA · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    4y

    Pretender economists have been predicting the real estate market crash on here for YEARS. Always wrong. Always based on zero data. Always because they missed out on the unbelievable buying opportunity of 2008-2010 and they wish they could get those prices again. NOT GOING TO HAPPEN... 

  • Real Estate Broker · St. Louis, MO · Member since 2014 · 206 posts · 194 votes
    4y

    @Aaron Mazzrillo - Markets always go in cycles and there absolutely will be a correction at some point.  I'm not calling for a correction here or saying the sky is the limit, but to say it is "NOT GOING TO HAPPEN" is just outright naive.

  • Gainesville, VA · Member since 2021 · 82 posts · 72 votes
    4y

    Its pretty easy to find the bubbles.  Population growth vs building permits then look at job growth to that area. San fran.. massive bubble.  Austin bubble.  Phoenix is surprisingly not a bubble.  The last full data available was from 2020 which showed about 106k population growth with 58k less build permits than growth.  You also have a huge tech hub starting there so demand should be ok for a while there because the people coming are typically higher earners.  Boston is a bubble.  Orlando's growth is basically even so housing prices are going to slowly deflate. Jacksonville is a bubble. Migration has slowed alot there.   Charleston is a massive bubble.  Permits and growth match but I believe the spike over the last 2 years has been 22% or so.  Montana is a massive bubble anywhere near missoula.  I believe its up 40% or so.  Houston is also in a bubble.  New yorks charts are pretty insane.  It was one of the few red charts I could find.  They are increasing housing by 108k over population growth per year.  I could go on but I think you guys get it.  Its getting really messy in alot of places.  Be careful and make sure your numbers are good before you buy 

  • Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2016 · 679 posts · 288 votes
    4y

    Hello Canesha Edwards from Atlanta. I wish I had the ability to put all those Real Estate evaluation numbers together to get a Big Picture of what is going on and know when to get out of the way of the next downturn. I just sold my last house in Tampa. Last year I paid Cash for a like new, 3/3 Townhome 18 miles outside of town to have a nice quiet, safe, place to come back to. Everybody is looking for Yield to Invest their Money. The reason we participate in BP discussions is that we want to make Money with Real Estate. From the discussion, it seems that all the Big Guys think that the Slowdown or Downturn will happen over a number of years. I lived through the Maxi Devaluations in Chile, Argentina and Brazil when they printed new, devalued, Money over and over until the Banks closed. The Fed did a Stress Test on our Banks this week and our new Administration is performing a real time, Stress Test on us at this moment. My brother says that in some places in Northern California, gasoline is almost $7 a gallon. Everything that happens in our Economy, starts in Europe and then moves to California until they start demanding the same for the rest of the States. You are a Developer. In my 30 years with a few Rentals in S. Tampa, I have seen that Builders and Developers, build until they go bust. Then, they play hardball with the Banks as our Economy allows them to do as LLC's or Corporations...they go Bankrupt and later on start up again and go onto another Cycle of construction and investment until the next downturn or collapse. History is repeating itself right now and the small guys need to take heed.

  • Rental Property Investor · Torrance, CA · Member since 2016 · 263 posts · 132 votes
    4y

    IMO the bubble is in the USD, but that's not allowed to pop so everything priced in dollars goes higher.

  • Investor · Scottsdale Austin Tuktoyaktuk · Member since 2021 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Canesha Edwards:

    @Matt Groth

    That’s a good way to put it. I guess the bigger problem is the eroding dollar and not the real estate market itself. The supply and labor shortages definitely have amplified the problem.

    Looks to me that we are at the "Euphoria" Stage.



    AS my Chinese buddy Sum Ting Wong says:

  • Gainesville, VA · Member since 2021 · 82 posts · 72 votes
    4y

    Feel we passed Euphoria around the start of covid and are solidly in the greed phase.  The fed has announced interest rates going up and QE ending sometime early next year.  Take away 120 billion a month and 2% bank transfer interest rates and we are about to see the stock market correct hard which will cause a panic sell which will push people barely keeping their property in default.  You can already see the anxiety setting in.  I still have 30 years left before I am "supposed" to retire so it doesn't scare me.  I might hold off on my 3rd AIRBNB purchase though... I have a feeling deals are about to start coming from those that pushed to far or what I hope isnt about to happen... older people being pushed out from higher tax bills from appreciation.  Always sad to see that.  

  • New to Real Estate · MI · Member since 2021 · 54 posts · 13 votes
    4y

    @William Arrington

    What do you mean “pushed out from higher tax bills due to appreciation”?

    The stock market correction is a scary thought especially for those already retired or looking to retire in the very near future. 

  • Gainesville, VA · Member since 2021 · 82 posts · 72 votes
    4y

    Pushed out happens all the time but you probably know it by a different name.  Gentrification.  Basically your an old person in this situation on a fixed income.  Your house was worth $300,000 and your tax bill was 1% of that a year so you owe $3000 a year in taxes for the property.  People start moving in and pushing the values up.  Your property goes up to $500,000 over the next 3 years with crazy growth (think Austin texas a place this is actually about to happen to people)  Your property tax is now $5000 a year not $3000.  The government doesn't care that you have been there for 15 years.  When budgets are tight which is the case with people in these situations they get into tax debt and cant get out.  The home they thought they would live in the rest of their life has to be sold or worse.. get auctioned because they thought they could handle it.  

  • New to Real Estate · MI · Member since 2021 · 54 posts · 13 votes
    4y

    @William Arrington Terrifying. Thanks for the example. 

  • Marci MayesPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Willis, TX · Member since 2019 · 71 posts · 37 votes
    4y

    I am not sure how tax bills are calculated in other states, but in Texas your primary residence qualifies for a homestead exemption. For a homestead, the maximum amount of appreciation for property tax purposes is 10% per year. In addition, any primary homeowner over 65 qualifies for the "Over 65" exemption. Most taxing jurisdictions place a freeze ceiling on the tax amount to help prevent seniors from losing their homes.

  • Herm M.Pro Member
    Real Estate Investor · NorCal, CA · Member since 2009 · 273 posts · 43 votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Aaron Mazzrillo:

    Pretender economists have been predicting the real estate market crash on here for YEARS. Always wrong. Always based on zero data. Always because they missed out on the unbelievable buying opportunity of 2008-2010 and they wish they could get those prices again. NOT GOING TO HAPPEN... 

     Pretender economists? Based on zero data? Go look at a graph of interest rates for the past 40 years and ask yourself why real estate appreciated the way it did for the past 40 years. The Fed has manipulated and leveraged interest rates for a long time in order to create wealth/equity so encourage people to spend money. You can't do that forever. Just because they've been doing it for 40 years, it doesn't mean that they can do it forever. When you can no longer lower rates, the only option left is to print ridiculous amounts of money to stimulate the economy. They've used up that weapon for the time-being. Not only have they used that weapon, they overused it and abused it, resulting in the highest inflation in 40 years. If we are pretend economists, why don't you tell us how they're going to pull a rabbit out of their hat? They're not. They've used up all their joker cards and now they have to reset the deck.

    Someone in here said that it's not real estate that's in a bubble, it's the U.S. dollar that's in a bubble. I would say that interest rates are in a bubble, they've been manipulated for the past 40 years.

  • Real Estate Agent · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    To all my Doom and Gloom friends.  The sky is not falling.  We can all agree prices are up and interest rates are down.  It is as you would expect, inflation is now in effect.  Greater demand chasing less supply  There is still a lot of money floating around from the Fed and the give aways.  This scenario is coming to an end.  Baring anything unforeseen, we are good for 2022.  Two rate hikes and supply chain normalization, resulting in a flattening of inflation.  In 2023 it is anyones guess.  Rates must go up, they are in an unsustainable place.  Be weary of anyone who has confidence about what is next.  There is no way to know and there is no historical data to use.  The supply problem is largely a result of COVID and people not working by choice.

    If you want something to worry about, it is fuel costs.  This will grind our fragile economy to a halt.  Inflation and simply the cost of living will hurt a lot of people.  We will see a decreasing in profitability in businesses across the board.  If this happens companies will stop hiring and those people who now need to work will not be able to find a job and pay rent.  Anyone on BP not hurt by the eviction moratorium?

    Real-Estate will not be the cause of economic troubles or the big story.  It will be effected and change as a result.  No two crisis are the same.  Housing Crash, Dot Com Bubble, Oil Embargo Stagflation and so on.  In the mean time, I am going full steam ahead for the next 12 months.  I will reassess my strategy in q4.             

  • Huntington Beach, CA · Member since 2019 · 49 posts · 21 votes
    4y

    @Canesha Edwards

    TRUTH

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.