Real estate current events

Real estate current events

Lender · Member since 2026 · 43 posts · 11 votes

Real estate is one of those industries where no two people seem to have the exact same experience.

Some people love it, some get frustrated by it, and others can't imagine doing anything else.

I'm curious...

What originally got you interested in real estate?

Was it a family member, a book, a mentor, a life goal, or something completely unexpected?

I'd love to hear everyone's story.

1Reply
172 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Louisville, KY · Member since 2017 · 92 posts · 38 votes
    3mo

    I got into it almost by accident. I purchased my first home in 2019 after landing my first real job. Interest rates weren't as low as we'd see in 2020 and 2021, but still very low compared to where it is today. 7 years later, I found myself sitting on quite a bit of equity and capital. I decided to purchase a new primary residence for myself and to rent out my original primary residence. That experience got me really interested in real estate investing and in real estate as a whole. I am now a licensed realtor and looking to find my next investment property. 

  • Jimmy LieuBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2019 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3mo
    Quote from @Star Moses:

    Real estate is one of those industries where no two people seem to have the exact same experience.

    Some people love it, some get frustrated by it, and others can't imagine doing anything else.

    I'm curious...

    What originally got you interested in real estate?

    Was it a family member, a book, a mentor, a life goal, or something completely unexpected?

    I'd love to hear everyone's story.

    Hi Star, great question. What got me interested in real estate was the combination of financial freedom and the ability to build something tangible over time. I liked that real estate wasn't just about making money, but also about solving problems, improving properties, and creating housing for people. I actually moved from Portland, Oregon to a new market in 2020 specifically to focus on real estate investing, and what started as an interest quickly turned into a passion. The more I learned, the more I realized how many different paths there are in this business and how much control you can have over your financial future if you're willing to keep learning and taking action. Curious to hear everyone else's story too because it's amazing how many different roads lead people into real estate.
  • Lender · Member since 2026 · 43 posts · 11 votes
    3mo

    Thanks for sharing your story, Jimmy.

    I like what you said about real estate being more than just making money. The problem-solving aspect and the ability to create opportunities for yourself and others is what makes it interesting to me as well.

    It’s also impressive that you moved to a new market to pursue your goals. That takes a lot of commitment. I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience.

  • John MorganPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Grand Prairie, TX · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    1mo

    I got into real estate unexpectedly. I made a random offer on a property 11 years ago after a couple beers without doing any due diligence on it. My offer got accepted. lol

    The cash flow and power of leverage excited me after that, and I grew to like this real life game of monopoly hobby. I'm now at 39 properties and still making low ball insulting offers for fun. And some sellers accept my offers... which drives my nuts because she absolutely hates my real estate investing hobby. Haha

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.