How Many RE Investors are Engineers?

How Many RE Investors are Engineers?

Rental Property Investor 路 Fargo, ND 路 Member since 2016 路 136 posts 路 112 votes

Is it just me or are about 25% of all real estate investors, also engineers? As an Engineer myself I could be biased but curious if anyone has insight. I know folks usually have professional background like IT, accounting, dr but would be going out on a limb to say engineers cover the majority of all real estate investors?

44Reply
6,201 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor 路 Upstate, NY 路 Member since 2012 路 3k+ posts 路 3k+ votes
6y

I did the eng gig until REI proved to be way more profitable. It's paid off in so many ways allowing me to do 'permitted' electrical (took that minor in elect.), opening & replacing walls with LVL beams, HVAC installs, on-demand HW (elect & NG) etc etc. It's a discipline that opened so many cost saving opportunities & you don't get snowed by contractors, home or building inspectors. Biggest job 'permitted' by my town was the complete design, install & wiring/flow rate monitoring of complete fire sprinkler system for a 6 unit. They allowed me 6 months & did it all myself.

But then again I remember our final exams forbade the use of calculators, slide rules were the only device allowed as were card punched software solutions in our lab finals.

See this reply in the discussion

684 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor / Wholesaler 路 Nashville, TN 路 Member since 2014 路 1k+ posts 路 667 votes
    6y

    Here! Mechanical engineer undergrad and Aeronautical engineering masters. Never used it as I went to fly for the Navy right after school and I鈥檝e been a full time real estate investor the last 3 years! 

  • Rental Property Investor 路 Atlanta, GA 路 Member since 2020 路 40 posts 路 31 votes
    6y

    I am an Electrical Engineer originally from the Bay Area. I am a buy and hold investor primarily focused on single family and soon multifamily.

  • Kansas City, MO 路 Member since 2020 路 14 posts 路 9 votes
    6y

    Hello! I'm a Biomedical Engineer in Kansas City MO. I am a newbie currently looking for a mutifamily to househack.

  • Lisa KayPro Member
    Member since 2020 路 3 posts 路 5 votes
    6y

    @Thomas Greer we NEED more women engineers!

  • Member since 2020 路 3 posts 路 2 votes
    6y

    Mechanical Engineer on NASA鈥檚 Artemis Program. I have 9 units and looking to get my 10th soon!

  • Rental Property Investor 路 Fargo, ND 路 Member since 2016 路 136 posts 路 112 votes
    6y

    THANK YOU all to who replied and fun to see this still going.  For fun, I hired someone off fiverr to pull a summary.  Happy to announce the following most replied: 1) Civil engineers = 47, 2) Software engineers = 42, 3) mechanical engineers 45, 4) electrical engineers =32.  

  • Member since 2020 路 1 post 路 1 vote
    6y

    I'm a Industrial Engineer in Fort Lauderdale FL. I am a newbie currently looking for a single family or duplex. 

  • Member since 2019 路 18 posts 路 5 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Dan Moran:

    Mechanical Engineer on NASA鈥檚 Artemis Program. I have 9 units and looking to get my 10th soon!

    Very cool! Is your job as fun as the rest of us would imagine, and dream of? :)

    EE here

  • New to Real Estate 路 Milwaukee, WI 路 Member since 2020 路 2 posts 路 3 votes
    6y

    I'm a chemical engineer in polymers currently. Just bought my first property in Milwaukee, WI, a duplex to househack!

  • New to Real Estate 路 Oklahoma City, OK 路 Member since 2018 路 1 post 路 2 votes
    6y

    Civil/structural here, working on a house hack in OKC!

  • Flipper/Rehabber 路 Milwaukee, WI 路 Member since 2016 路 153 posts 路 84 votes
    6y

    @Adam Zach engineer here as well!

  • Member since 2020 路 7 posts 路 4 votes
    6y

    Data Scientist here, connect with me on ideas for large-scale deal potential analysis :) 

  • Real Estate Agent 路 Jersey City, NJ 路 Member since 2018 路 2 posts 路 2 votes
    6y

    I was an engineer in the Coast Guard for 7.5 years and have two rental properties. Looking to buy a 4-fam before the end of the year!

  • Member since 2020 路 17 posts 路 10 votes
    6y

    New investor here from Massachusetts. I'm a Mechanical Engineer working in the medical device manufacturing field. Looking for my first investment property in my area (fix and flip). 

  • Member since 2020 路 27 posts 路 15 votes
    6y

    Mechanical Engineer in Ventura County (NW of Los Angeles). Looking to get a rental property. Currently own a primary residence that my wife and I are slowly rehabbing. As an engineer I may think "I can figure this out myself!" a little too often! It takes a bit more time and a lot more effort, but hopefully learning skills for future rental rehabs (and also figuring out which things are better off contracting out!).

  • Chicago, IL 路 Member since 2020 路 1 post 路 2 votes
    6y

    Mechanical Engineer here in the Chicagoland Area! I just graduated and am already planning my "retirement" by getting into real estate. 

  • Member since 2020 路 1 post 路 2 votes
    6y

    I am a Mechanical Engineer. I bought my first house last year and since then have purchased a second home and turned the first into a rental. 

  • Member since 2020 路 1 post 路 2 votes
    6y

    I'm a 2018 Chemical Engineer graduate also in the Chicagoland area, and looking for my first rental property!

  • Member since 2020 路 2 posts 路 3 votes
    6y

    Just finished my Architectural Engineering Technology Degree and working on getting the license to be a Registered Architect. By profession, I am a Real Estate Broker and Developer and I work on the mechanical contracts for New York City School System. I develop custom homes and do rehab and flipping also and I do own rental and mixed use properties in NYC.

  • Member since 2019 路 2 posts 路 3 votes
    6y

    @Adam Zach I am a building Engineer..

    Does that count?

    Still trying to get my first deal in the Chicagoland area though so I guess UNTIL I do get my first deal or home, maybe I am not an investor?!?馃様

  • Member since 2018 路 1 post 路 5 votes
    6y

    BS and MS Mechanical Engineering here! We are drawn to the numbers and are more logical than emotional thinkers.. thus probably more inclined to succeed in REI. Just my two cents...

  • Member since 2020 路 27 posts 路 15 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Jorge Ramos:

    BS and MS Mechanical Engineering here! We are drawn to the numbers and are more logical than emotional thinkers.. thus probably more inclined to succeed in REI. Just my two cents...

    Ha, very true! Compounding interest really isn't that complicated when compared to calculus, differential equations, etc.!

    My wife is more artistic and into sales than I am, so hoping we will make a good REI team. Just have to drag her into it first...! :)

  • Member since 2020 路 1 post 路 2 votes
    6y

    BS, MS Electrical Engineer checking in.  Really I'm doing this because I haven't loved my career path and I'm looking for an alternative.

  • Investor 路 Multiple 路 Member since 2019 路 175 posts 路 150 votes
    6y

    I am an engineer in the Marine Corps. 2 properties in Milwaukee, 110 acres of land in Arizona, 2 properties old in AZ, LP on a 120 unit apartment complex, a flip in PA. 

  • Boston, MA 路 Member since 2017 路 2 posts 路 4 votes
    6y

    Software Engineer here and haven't totally loved the corporate life, and believe an engineers brain works well with Real Estate!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.