How Many RE Investors are Engineers?

How Many RE Investors are Engineers?

Rental Property Investor · Fargo, ND · Member since 2016 · 136 posts · 112 votes

Is it just me or are about 25% of all real estate investors, also engineers? As an Engineer myself I could be biased but curious if anyone has insight. I know folks usually have professional background like IT, accounting, dr but would be going out on a limb to say engineers cover the majority of all real estate investors?

44Reply
6,177 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Upstate, NY · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
6y

I did the eng gig until REI proved to be way more profitable. It's paid off in so many ways allowing me to do 'permitted' electrical (took that minor in elect.), opening & replacing walls with LVL beams, HVAC installs, on-demand HW (elect & NG) etc etc. It's a discipline that opened so many cost saving opportunities & you don't get snowed by contractors, home or building inspectors. Biggest job 'permitted' by my town was the complete design, install & wiring/flow rate monitoring of complete fire sprinkler system for a 6 unit. They allowed me 6 months & did it all myself.

But then again I remember our final exams forbade the use of calculators, slide rules were the only device allowed as were card punched software solutions in our lab finals.

See this reply in the discussion

684 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2019 · 1 post · 2 votes
    5y

    I am :) Civil Structural Engineer

  • Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2017 · 23 posts · 19 votes
    5y

    Have an electrical engineering degree and am looking to use it if I get out of the military. 

  • Barrington, NH · Member since 2018 · 15 posts · 5 votes
    5y

    Mechanical Engineer in New Hampshire with 2 properties, working on getting a 3rd. I work with 5 other engineers that I know of that also invest.

  • Rental Property Investor · Irving, TX · Member since 2020 · 1 post · 1 vote
    5y

    @Adam Zach that’s a funny catch. I’m also an engineer here, but I think it’s because of the calculated risks RE can take. We’re also lucky enough to be in career positions where trying something new is usually looked at in a positive form!

  • Investor · Campton, NH · Member since 2010 · 286 posts · 144 votes
    5y

    My dad's an engineer, my brother's an architect and I am patent pending on my first product, with 30+ other ideas behind it, but I also feel fortunate to have the sense of chutzpah to pull the trigger on deals and not get the deer-in-the-car-headlights syndrome. Others have alluded to this above and many new investors I talk to struggle with the action part....... life is short, get after it. In the words of extreme skier Andreas Fransson: "Live this life, live this chance, live what's here because here and now is the only thing that is!"

  • Jim WindgassenPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Stevensville, MD · Member since 2019 · 40 posts · 28 votes
    5y

    @Adam Zach - My partner and I are also engineers. I’m an electrical and mechanical engineer and my partner is a chemical engineer.

  • Member since 2019 · 1 post · 1 vote
    5y

    Mechanical Engineer from Madrid (Spain). In my case, my academic background gives good advantage for evaluating installations on properties, both on prospecting and operating phase, as well as all the analytic fundamentals for all the calculations related with financial study/record.

  • Rental Property Investor · St. Joseph, MI · Member since 2016 · 23 posts · 21 votes
    5y

    I got a Mechanical Engineering degree from UIllinois, worked as a Mechanical Engineer for 5 or 6 years, and then quit to go full time REI. I miss the engineering work but I do not miss corporate America.

  • Investor · NH · Member since 2016 · 134 posts · 61 votes
    5y

    ummmm...hello...now I'm getting scared - too many of you engineers are going to leave engineering career fields to make easier/bigger money in real estate!!!  the rest of us need you to stay in your career fields, do quality work on important things for less money, while removing some of our real estate competition! hah

  • Investor · Member since 2020 · 291 posts · 592 votes
    5y

    I am electrical engineer! Just purchased my first investment property!

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2019 · 40 posts · 20 votes
    5y

    EE here. Any engineers in the ATL/GA market interested in working together and networking? Primarily focused on Assignments (Wholesaling) as my exit strategy, open to learning and doing more.

  • Adam BrammerPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Member since 2018 · 14 posts · 5 votes
    5y

    Mechanical Engineering here working out of California. Currently 11 units in and looking to expand to 55 by the end of the calendar year. All out of state. 

  • Bel Air, MD · Member since 2014 · 119 posts · 36 votes
    5y

    I have my BS in mechanical engineering and now do life cycle cost modeling for the Army.  Engineering is an incredible foundation that allows you to branch out into just about anything that you want to do.

  • Investor · Castle Rock, CO · Member since 2018 · 297 posts · 159 votes
    5y

    Civil Engineer here!

  • Lender · Houston · Member since 2019 · 74 posts · 29 votes
    4y

    I work in the Oil and Gas industry. I work offshore on the oil rigs as an engineer. I was making good money, then the downturn hit snd they were laying people off left and right along with paycuts. I have not received an increase in salary in the last 7 years.

    Clearly that made me find ways to make passive income to have more security and peace of mind. Real estate was the answer :) 

  • Rental Property Investor · Mesa, AZ · Member since 2022 · 20 posts · 13 votes
    4y

    Can confirm.  Software Engineer here.

  • Lender · Bellevue WA & Orange County, CA · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    Software engineer gone finance and 50-60% of my clients in seattle area are in tech or related engineering fields but maybe seattle is skewed due to the proximity of the tech companies 

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2021 · 9k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    4y

    This is so interesting. How many engineer Realtors are there out there? 

  • Michael HaasBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Redmond, 🌧️ Seattle Investor-Agent | 🤑 Helped 400+ Clients Invest in Real Estate | 🏘️ Owns 23 WA Rentals & Airbnbs | 🏗️ Built 5 DADU's | 📈 You Can Do It Too · Member since 2016 · 724 posts · 3k+ votes
    4y

    My wife @Jess Haas is a reformed Civil Engineer. She's joined the dark side now, Full Time Realtor / Real Estate Investor :). 

    I'm not an engineer, but an analytical mind and patience definitely help in this business - two traits that most engineers seem to have.

    HouseHack Seattle | Michael Haas & Team572 Reviews
  • LA Area · Member since 2019 · 15 posts · 8 votes
    4y

    Automation Engineer here. Honestly, my mechanical design background has made my estimating for repairs be extremely accurate as I am able to design the new layouts, walls, electrical, plumbing and more within CAD which gives me very accurate costs. I am usually only off at most a few hundred bucks when it comes to fixed material costs. 

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    4y

    I am an Electrical Engineer and retired Navy.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.