Who's buying properties right now?

Who's buying properties right now?

Paul DeSilvaPro Member
Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2017 · 148 posts · 252 votes

Hey BP,

Who's currently buying rental properties?

-Are you at all worried about prolonged eviction moratoriums, rent freezes, a second wave or anything else that they are talking about in the media?

-Or are you marching forward, steadfast if the opportunity makes sense and the numbers meet your criteria?

Personally I fall into the latter but am proceeding with more caution than usual. Seems to be a lot of mixed emotions in the forums of late.

10Reply
219 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Surf City, NC · Member since 2017 · 648 posts · 597 votes
6y

I am continuing to buy properties and help others do the same. Most investors that I am working with are targeting the B-C class neighborhoods and house hack properties. I just closed on our latest house hack deal a month ago and couldn't be happier! 

I also stopped watching the news a few months ago which has helped a lot with my sanity haha

See this reply in the discussion

133 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Paul DeSilvaPro Member
    OP
    Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2017 · 148 posts · 252 votes
    6y

    @JJ Truman Big Bear Lake is the market for that for sure, the houses and attractions there are amazing!

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    In August, I noticed that my rent collections were less stable than previous months.  None defaulting but some new late payers.  My local leasing market is soft.  People are not moving.  My City has had some turmoil. 

    I am not deterred but there are not a lot of deals that are attractive these days.  Interest rates are propping the market up, but that doesn't move me at all.

    I have bought this year - selective value add type properties that are low risk to be hurt in an economic downturn.  But this year is not one of acquisition growth.  Some buyers are awaiting an elusive market crash, thinking that 2008 is coming again.  I do not know, but if it is bargain time, it will be buying time.

  • Rental Property Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2017 · 64 posts · 73 votes
    6y

    @Paul DeSilva buying section 8 rentals and STRs that are within driving distance to Dallas.

  • Rental Property Investor · Canton, OH · Member since 2020 · 58 posts · 22 votes
    6y

    @Paul DeSilva My wood shutter business is way down due to a national lumber shortage too, hoping for a new supply by spring.

  • Mike TerryPro Member
    Investor · Fort Myers, FL · Member since 2015 · 292 posts · 278 votes
    6y

    Just closed on a flip on Monday.  We have 4 underway at the moment.  Prices continue to rise here in Florida, listings are getting gobbled up as soon as they go on the market.  There is an end to this, but if you can predict it you have no need to invest in houses.  Good luck to everyone.

  • Rental Property Investor · California, CA · Member since 2020 · 11 posts · 3 votes
    6y

    @Paul DeSilva

    I’m in contract for a 4 plex, and schedule to close on the 28th. I’m super excited, a little

    Nervous with the news, but to be honest I feel like I’m in it for the long haul, so it doesn’t matter.

    This is my 3rd property, but My 1st multiunit property!

  • Realtor · Boulder, CO · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    6y

    @Paul DeSilva >>>This guy<<< as long as the numbers makes sense. Closing on a property this month that is a total junker but homes around it are worth $800k more. It’ll rent for $5,000/month and cash flow $2,500/month once it’s rehabbed.

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2016 · 14 posts · 9 votes
    6y

    @Paul DeSilva yes! In escrow now and planning a few more by end of the year. For us it’s just about finding deeper deals in the right market. So far so successful but being hyper aware of everything in flux.

  • Paul DeSilvaPro Member
    OP
    Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2017 · 148 posts · 252 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Brian Ploszay:

    In August, I noticed that my rent collections were less stable than previous months.  None defaulting but some new late payers.  My local leasing market is soft.  People are not moving.  My City has had some turmoil. 

    I am not deterred but there are not a lot of deals that are attractive these days.  Interest rates are propping the market up, but that doesn't move me at all.

    I have bought this year - selective value add type properties that are low risk to be hurt in an economic downturn.  But this year is not one of acquisition growth.  Some buyers are awaiting an elusive market crash, thinking that 2008 is coming again.  I do not know, but if it is bargain time, it will be buying time.

    I think that every market nationwide has been affected differently. I personally do not think that this will be 2008 all over again the metrics are totally different. We love a good bargain!

  • Paul DeSilvaPro Member
    OP
    Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2017 · 148 posts · 252 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Jonathan Paul Shortt:

    @Paul DeSilva buying section 8 rentals and STRs that are within driving distance to Dallas.

    We are looking at moving some of our rentals into section 8 style rentals. We do not have any STR's and are not focusing on that niche right now. We have been looking in East Texas lately and think if we do an out of state deal that is where we will start once we build a team.

  • Paul DeSilvaPro Member
    OP
    Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2017 · 148 posts · 252 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Jacob Bohrer:

    @Paul DeSilva My wood shutter business is way down due to a national lumber shortage too, hoping for a new supply by spring.

    Sorry to hear that. We have been having big problems getting building materials and just read an article that prices of building materials are up 60% nationwide, this is one of the many reasons that we are not looking at any flips for the foreseeable future.

  • Paul DeSilvaPro Member
    OP
    Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2017 · 148 posts · 252 votes
    6y

    @Mike Terry Congrats! Are you seeing jacked up prices and shortages on the building materials down there as well?

  • Paul DeSilvaPro Member
    OP
    Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2017 · 148 posts · 252 votes
    6y

    @Scott Gadea Congrats! We are strictly multi family right now but have been thinking about picking up a few SFH's just for diversity and liquidity. We are also long haul investors!

  • Paul DeSilvaPro Member
    OP
    Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2017 · 148 posts · 252 votes
    6y

    @Steve K. Congrats! Sounds like it should be a good deal!

  • Mike TerryPro Member
    Investor · Fort Myers, FL · Member since 2015 · 292 posts · 278 votes
    6y

    @Paul DeSilva building materials are mostly steady, but shortage of appliances and lack of selection is increasing the quality were using and cost of course.

  • Paul DeSilvaPro Member
    OP
    Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2017 · 148 posts · 252 votes
    6y

    @Maggie D. Congrats! I think that California and my market are experiencing similar conditions a big push to the suburbs. 

  • Paul DeSilvaPro Member
    OP
    Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2017 · 148 posts · 252 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Mike Terry:

    @Paul DeSilva building materials are mostly steady, but shortage of appliances and lack of selection is increasing the quality were using and cost of course.

    It is insane up here also. No inventory in most departments. We had to drive over an hour and pass 3 big box and several smaller home improvement stores just for a 40 gal hot water heater 2 weeks ago. Pressure treated wood is non existent. All stores are sold out until November, my go to contractors are booked out 6 months. I have never seen these kind of shortages and so many people doing home improvements/renovations in my career. I have been trying to replace the fence on a property that we are selling and 3 fence contractors said that they cannot get here until after New Years. Crazy times we are living in! 

  • Investor · Stone Mountain, GA · Member since 2014 · 5 posts · 36 votes
    6y

    @Paul DeSilva Thank you for that simple yet clear explanation. What a great strategy! 

    Thank you for that clear and simple explanation! That is a fantastic strategy!

  • Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2017 · 589 posts · 251 votes
    6y

    "Scared money don't make no money" 

  • Rental Property Investor · Modesto/Stockton/Merced, CA · Member since 2020 · 456 posts · 214 votes
    6y

    I'm Looking! 

  • Member since 2019 · 144 posts · 93 votes
    6y

    Still buying. Even if it goes down, so be it, I will buy when it goes down and I will buy it when it goes up. The average is find for me. I am not trying to time the market. 

  • Member since 2020 · 1 post · 2 votes
    6y

    @Sean McDonnell what do you mean by help others? Like give advise? Because I'm actually looking to do a house back right now but have so many questions.

  • Real Estate Agent · Dallas, TX · Member since 2020 · 28 posts · 28 votes
    6y

    Interesting thread. Seems most investors (and owner-occupants) are still buying. Caution should ALWAYS be a key to success - after all, investing is all about managing the inherent risks. In my area (Dallas TX and suburbs) we, too, are experiencing rapid growth (before and during COVID) and will continue as a prime destination location for people and businesses. Collin County to the north of Dallas County has frequently been among the fastest growing areas in the U.S. A safe, long-term play many investors are using in turbulent times is new construction in select locations, price points, and with the right rental-ready features. I bought a condo mid-COVID and am just finishing the rehab. I also found a good new construction opportunity yesterday that is available to investors. If interested msg or DM me for details...

  • Investor · Southlake, TX · Member since 2016 · 20 posts · 15 votes
    6y

    I'm in DFW area; if it's a deal I'm still buying. I do a super diligent background check to make sure that they can afford the property. I'm grateful that all my tenants are still paying.

  • Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2019 · 212 posts · 149 votes
    6y

    Im closing on a 4plex in Cincinnati, OH in a class A+ area on Sept 14 soon. Then, I'll find a primary residence in TX or FL, where I currently buy & flip notes.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.