Who's buying properties right now?

Who's buying properties right now?

Paul DeSilvaPro Member
Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2017 · 148 posts · 252 votes

Hey BP,

Who's currently buying rental properties?

-Are you at all worried about prolonged eviction moratoriums, rent freezes, a second wave or anything else that they are talking about in the media?

-Or are you marching forward, steadfast if the opportunity makes sense and the numbers meet your criteria?

Personally I fall into the latter but am proceeding with more caution than usual. Seems to be a lot of mixed emotions in the forums of late.

10Reply
189 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Surf City, NC · Member since 2017 · 648 posts · 597 votes
6y

I am continuing to buy properties and help others do the same. Most investors that I am working with are targeting the B-C class neighborhoods and house hack properties. I just closed on our latest house hack deal a month ago and couldn't be happier! 

I also stopped watching the news a few months ago which has helped a lot with my sanity haha

See this reply in the discussion

133 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Dallas, TX · Member since 2020 · 28 posts · 28 votes
    6y

    @Susan Tan 

    @Susan Tan If you are interested in Dallas area for primary residence I would be honored to assist. Being an investor myself, I can also help you in that arena as well.

  • Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2020 · 23 posts · 14 votes
    6y

    Just closed last week on a SFH, however, I'm certainly making sure there is more than one exit strategy before making any big decisions.

  • Rental Property Investor · Phila, PA · Member since 2018 · 2 posts · 2 votes
    6y

    @Paul DeSilva I’m purchasing right now

  • Maria GuevaraPro Member
    Property Manager · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2020 · 42 posts · 31 votes
    6y

    @Peter DeSilva, I just closed on a duplex and triplex yesterday in NY! 

     Took more than 60 days to close!

  • Investor · Saint Paul, MN · Member since 2015 · 663 posts · 512 votes
    6y

    @Paul DeSilva

    Nope, just paying down the mortgage, value adding on duplex to increase rents, taking advantage of a 2.76 interest rate and putting money away.

  • Specialist · DETROIT · Member since 2019 · 116 posts · 243 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Dan Travieso:

    I am still buying but the numbers must work for rental. Not doing any speculating that market appreciation will be continuing nor am I going to do any flips right now.

    Numbers are working all day long in the booming Detroit rental market where the wise purchase is always primarily based on high positive cash flow. Message me if you are interested in some of that as well as the best rent to value ratio in the country. We have countless referrals from happy Out-of-state clients also to share with you if your interested.

  • Rental Property Investor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2020 · 7 posts · 2 votes
    6y

    @Michael Myers which areas/ zipcodes you think will rent out quickly in Jacksonville fl?

  • Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2020 · 25 posts · 11 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Sandi G.:

    @Michael Myers which areas/ zipcodes you think will rent out quickly in Jacksonville fl?

     Good places to live in Jax is: Mandarin, Avondale, Riverside. Basically, southside and beaches

  • Real Estate Agent · Surf City, NC · Member since 2017 · 648 posts · 597 votes
    6y

    @Jake Kluding 

    I would love to help you learn about house hacking! Send me a PM and we can connect. 

  • Member since 2018 · 15 posts · 9 votes
    6y

    @Paul DeSilva I did the same thing. Social media=social engineering. All the while my energy toward my goals were distracted.

  • Member since 2020 · 4 posts · 3 votes
    6y

    @Michael Myers Hi Michael ... I am new to all this... how are you helping others? I’m in Brooklyn... don’t know how to get this started ...

    What do you think about Wholesaling?

    Either way thank you!

  • Rental Property Investor · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2012 · 18 posts · 6 votes
    6y

    Just purchased my first one, margins aren't great but the market is really good right now so hoping for a quick turnaround. 

  • AJ ShepardPro Member
    Real Estate Syndicator · Portland, OR · Member since 2014 · 453 posts · 312 votes
    6y

    Business as usual so we'd fall into the latter. There are still a number of interested investors and we're actively syndicating. 

    We're looking to close one in September. We're hyped!

  • Property Manager · Henderson, NV · Member since 2018 · 501 posts · 317 votes
    6y

    I am not worried about the eviction moratoriums and some of the other headwinds.  I had been worried, but I think in the next 60 days there is going to be more guidance on how to live with the new normal in property management.  There is some opportunity here in Las Vegas and Henderson as we continue to have growth (outside of the strip).  I like everything that is happening in Henderson, nearby the Raiders practice facility. 

  • Title Representative · Denver, CO · Member since 2020 · 126 posts · 66 votes
    6y

    I'm shooting for a B/C class BRRRR deal right now. https://www.biggerpockets.com/...

  • Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2020 · 25 posts · 11 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Caroline Errickson:

    @Michael Myers Hi Michael ... I am new to all this... how are you helping others? I’m in Brooklyn... don’t know how to get this started ...

    What do you think about Wholesaling?

    Either way thank you!

     Hi Caroline

    I'm just as new as you are :). I haven't even done my first investment yet so unfortunately I don't think I have anything to offer to help other people yet. It looks like for me I'm going to be starting this out by myself unless I can find a partner but it's okay.

    Wholesaling is good as long as you can get enough good deals and find buyers who are willing to buy you're marked up prices on the properties. I have no problem buying from a wholesaler so long as the return on investment aka ROI is 10% or higher.

    I suggest researching one of the strategies (BRRRR, Flip, Buy and Hold, or Wholesailing) and try one once you find a deal in your area and get opinions from here

    I think to start out  you might want to start joining the BiggerPockets free live webinars. They are hosted by the BiggerPockets  CEO  Brandon Turner. Join them here

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/...

    Secondly, you might want to learn how to  perform deal analysis.

    Read this: https://www.biggerpockets.com/...

    I know it sounds like I'm selling their stuff but I'm not affiliated with them. I think this website and their resources has helped me somewhat gain an understanding of how to be a real estate investor or REI.

  • Member since 2020 · 4 posts · 3 votes
    6y

    Thank you @Michael Myers ... I appreciate the feedback!

  • Rental Property Investor · New Orleans, LA · Member since 2020 · 22 posts · 12 votes
    6y

    @Paul DeSilva I feel like the workers who lost jobs early on were in a particular class. I'm concerned about the ripple into other classes that we are seeing. My properties rent for a rate where it may end up a recovery situation for someone downsizing but I'm pretty confident I can get them rented wcs.

    My concern is ever having the ownership of my property management decision rights returned from the feds. If I can't get em out I can't turn em over.

  • Professional · Memphis, TN · Member since 2015 · 70 posts · 49 votes
    6y

    I am buying properties as quickly as I can. My business partners and myself all agreed we are in this no matter what happens.

  • Rental Property Investor · Saddle River, NJ · Member since 2020 · 22 posts · 24 votes
    6y

    @Paul DeSilva

    I just closed on a unique buy and hold in New Jersey. 2 separate homes on 1 property in a very nice neighborhood. The property was an estate sale and was well maintained but dated. Will start minor Reno today and get it rented out.

    I continue to look for other opportunities

  • Paul DeSilvaPro Member
    OP
    Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2017 · 148 posts · 252 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Emily Ford:

    I'm in DFW area; if it's a deal I'm still buying. I do a super diligent background check to make sure that they can afford the property. I'm grateful that all my tenants are still paying.

    We are also still buying. Super due diligence is key now and always. Likewise, our tenants have been amazing!

  • Paul DeSilvaPro Member
    OP
    Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2017 · 148 posts · 252 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Susan Tan:

    Im closing on a 4plex in Cincinnati, OH in a class A+ area on Sept 14 soon. Then, I'll find a primary residence in TX or FL, where I currently buy & flip notes.

    Congratulations, we are closing on a 4plex on September 15th. Good luck with your ventures!

  • Paul DeSilvaPro Member
    OP
    Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2017 · 148 posts · 252 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Andrew R.:

    Just closed last week on a SFH, however, I'm certainly making sure there is more than one exit strategy before making any big decisions.

     Congrats! Multiple exit strategies is key!

  • Paul DeSilvaPro Member
    OP
    Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2017 · 148 posts · 252 votes
    6y

    @Tyreek Mathis Cograts! 

    @Maria Guevara Awesome Congrats! Where abouts?

  • Paul DeSilvaPro Member
    OP
    Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2017 · 148 posts · 252 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Marcus Johnson:

    @Paul DeSilva

    Nope, just paying down the mortgage, value adding on duplex to increase rents, taking advantage of a 2.76 interest rate and putting money away.

     We are doing the same on existing properties and still purchasing at low interest rates. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.