How will Coronavirus change your investing plans?

How will Coronavirus change your investing plans?

Dave MeyerPro Member
Head of Real Estate Investing at BiggerPockets · Seattle, WA · Member since 2015 · 354 posts · 828 votes

Hey everyone -- we're trying to get a sense of what the BP community plans to do in the coming months, given the impact of coronavirus and the related economic ramifications. Could you please take 2 minutes to fill out this survey? We want to make sure we're meeting the needs of real estate investors in this changing environment, and hearing from you will help us a ton. 

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r...

Thanks! 

10Reply
254 views

Most Popular Reply

Johnny McKeonPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Mesa, AZ · Member since 2016 · 103 posts · 72 votes
6y

Completed the survey.

a 4plex in the East Valley of the PHX MSA fell through contract a couple of days ago and the agent wanted me to submit an offer. I gave him the price and terms and he sent me the docs to sign but I had to decline given the uncertainty and really calculating the risks involved. I feel like I should be focusing on operating the 8 units I have efficiently by keeping my current tenants and protecting my capital and being patient


I would have been using a hard money lender (80% LTV, 10%, 1yr loan term) to acquire and then begin renovations and raising rents to market. and then do a VA cashout refinance or FHA and move into one of the units. so my risk is if the property will not hold its value or go down and I cant refinance and/or if my new tennat base will be able to afford the new rents ($950).

My gut is telling me to stay liquid and see how this plays out but there's this FOMO (fear of missing out) side that thinks this will blow over and I won't have a deal. I want another 4plex this year.

how would you guys feel about getting a property under contract right now? to pause and wait or to take action and buy?

See this reply in the discussion

99 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • New to Real Estate · Member since 2019 · 23 posts · 35 votes
    6y

    @Dave Meyer Done! Thank you.

  • Ian WalshBusiness Member
    Lender · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    We haven't seen the investment pricing yet.  No house sales will lead to inventory increasing and prices dropping.  That has a 90 day + lag on it.

  • Rental Property Investor · Holbrook, NY · Member since 2018 · 16 posts · 3 votes
    6y

    Done!

  • Rental Property Investor · Wake Forest, NC · Member since 2017 · 128 posts · 131 votes
    6y

    Done!

  • Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 84 posts · 33 votes
    6y

    Looking forward for the results too.

  • Investor · North Bay, Ontario · Member since 2019 · 221 posts · 99 votes
    6y

    Survey Completed Dave. :)

  • Member since 2019 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    I am still lending at 75% LTV in most places.

  • Rental Property Investor · Auburn, ME · Member since 2015 · 236 posts · 140 votes
    6y

    @Dave Meyer Good idea, finished survey. 

  • Johnny McKeonPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Mesa, AZ · Member since 2016 · 103 posts · 72 votes
    6y

    Completed the survey.

    a 4plex in the East Valley of the PHX MSA fell through contract a couple of days ago and the agent wanted me to submit an offer. I gave him the price and terms and he sent me the docs to sign but I had to decline given the uncertainty and really calculating the risks involved. I feel like I should be focusing on operating the 8 units I have efficiently by keeping my current tenants and protecting my capital and being patient


    I would have been using a hard money lender (80% LTV, 10%, 1yr loan term) to acquire and then begin renovations and raising rents to market. and then do a VA cashout refinance or FHA and move into one of the units. so my risk is if the property will not hold its value or go down and I cant refinance and/or if my new tennat base will be able to afford the new rents ($950).

    My gut is telling me to stay liquid and see how this plays out but there's this FOMO (fear of missing out) side that thinks this will blow over and I won't have a deal. I want another 4plex this year.

    how would you guys feel about getting a property under contract right now? to pause and wait or to take action and buy?

  • Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 2 votes
    6y

    All done. Thank you. 

  • Mike TerryPro Member
    Investor · Fort Myers, FL · Member since 2015 · 293 posts · 278 votes
    6y

    Done. Thank you for doing this.

  • MA · Member since 2010 · 14 posts · 6 votes
    6y

    @Dave Meyer

    Survey completed!

  • Investor · Bethlehem, PA · Member since 2015 · 21 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    Done thank you

  • Member since 2020 · 24 posts · 9 votes
    6y

    Done.

  • plano, TX · Member since 2010 · 1 post · 0 votes
    6y

    done

  • Flipper/Rehabber · New London, CT · Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    Done!

  • Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    @Dave Meyer

  • Rental Property Investor · Collierville, TN · Member since 2015 · 7 posts · 13 votes
    6y

    Done

  • Investor · Chincoteague Island, VA · Member since 2017 · 6 posts · 2 votes
    6y

    Done

  • Investor · Chincoteague Island, VA · Member since 2017 · 6 posts · 2 votes
    6y

    Going to rent latest refurb until the market settles down.

  • New York, NY · Member since 2019 · 60 posts · 82 votes
    6y

    done

  • Investor · United States · Member since 2018 · 565 posts · 356 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Dave Meyer:

    Hey everyone -- we're trying to get a sense of what the BP community plans to do in the coming months, given the impact of coronavirus and the related economic ramifications. Could you please take 2 minutes to fill out this survey? We want to make sure we're meeting the needs of real estate investors in this changing environment, and hearing from you will help us a ton. 

    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r...

    Thanks! 

     I was skeptical about the market before this happened. I will definitely not be buying anything until the crash/correction/whatever... 

  • Investor · Youngstown, OH · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Johnny McKeon:

    Completed the survey.

    a 4plex in the East Valley of the PHX MSA fell through contract a couple of days ago and the agent wanted me to submit an offer. I gave him the price and terms and he sent me the docs to sign but I had to decline given the uncertainty and really calculating the risks involved. I feel like I should be focusing on operating the 8 units I have efficiently by keeping my current tenants and protecting my capital and being patient


    I would have been using a hard money lender (80% LTV, 10%, 1yr loan term) to acquire and then begin renovations and raising rents to market. and then do a VA cashout refinance or FHA and move into one of the units. so my risk is if the property will not hold its value or go down and I cant refinance and/or if my new tennat base will be able to afford the new rents ($950).

    My gut is telling me to stay liquid and see how this plays out but there's this FOMO (fear of missing out) side that thinks this will blow over and I won't have a deal. I want another 4plex this year.

    how would you guys feel about getting a property under contract right now? to pause and wait or to take action and buy?

     I'm in a similar boat. Under contract and highly concerned but moving forward.

  • Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2020 · 1 post · 1 vote
    6y

    Done... And also in a similar situation as the above, currently under contract on a 4plex house hack deal. 

  • Vancouver, WA · Member since 2020 · 6 posts · 2 votes
    6y

    @Dave Meyer Completed!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.