Everybody has a Pitbull šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

Everybody has a Pitbull šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

Rental Property Investor Ā· Gothenburg, NE Ā· Member since 2015 Ā· 74 posts Ā· 111 votes

It’s crazy to me how many potential tenants have aggressive breed dogs. I would estimate that a good 25% of the people that contact me any given month about a property have a Pitbull or multiple. They are shocked when I tell them that I cannot allow them in my units. It’s crazy to me that a large percentage of the population choosing to rent would have such a liability that would limit their choices on housing. Yet I know very few people who own their own homes that have aggressive breed dogs when they don’t have the limitations holding them back. I have noticed the same about smokers as well.

8Reply
279 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2022 Ā· 137 posts Ā· 115 votes
4y
5 Commons Myths That Fuel Wrongful Stigmas Against Pit Bulls

https://www.onegreenplanet.org...

See this reply in the discussion

80 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2022 Ā· 137 posts Ā· 115 votes
    4y
    5 Commons Myths That Fuel Wrongful Stigmas Against Pit Bulls

    https://www.onegreenplanet.org...

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent Ā· Washington, D.C. Ā· Member since 2012 Ā· 17k+ posts Ā· 30k+ votes
    4y

    I have a pitbull.


    Ive had tenants with pitbulls for 13 years now. Usually my tenants with pitbulls tend to be my better tenants. 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant Ā· Summerlin, NV Ā· Member since 2014 Ā· 45k+ posts Ā· 66k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Russell Brazil:

    I have a pitbull.


    Ive had tenants with pitbulls for 13 years now. Usually my tenants with pitbulls tend to be my better tenants. 


    they know how hard it is to find housing.. a lot of insurance companies wont insure certain breeds.. I know when my G shepard bit a lady on the butt who walked into our house without permission and she filed a claim the insurance company would no longer insure the dog.. of course we owner occ so we kept Tessa loved that dog... was not the end of the world.   one thing for sure if you allow certain breeds you can charge a premium.. but just make sure you dont get your insurance dropped or raised a bunch.
  • Specialist Ā· Easton, PA Ā· Member since 2018 Ā· 1k+ posts Ā· 2k+ votes
    4y

    I don’t do pets in my rentals. And you couldn’t pay me enough to accept a dog. I’ve seen shepherds and pits attack, and a jack Russell latched onto my then 4 y/o sons face.  He’s now 16 and still has scars. 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant Ā· Summerlin, NV Ā· Member since 2014 Ā· 45k+ posts Ā· 66k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Matt M.:

    I don’t do pets in my rentals. And you couldn’t pay me enough to accept a dog. I’ve seen shepherds and pits attack, and a jack Russell latched onto my then 4 y/o sons face.  He’s now 16 and still has scars. 


     where is see pitbulls getting a bad wrap is you know there are a certain segment of society that owns them and treat them poorly.. stake them in the back yard etc.. I saw a ton of this in Mississippi the year i lived there.. then they get loose and roam wild.. you cant blame the dog its the owners.. is so sad.. I had one home where the renter left ( moved out) there is the poor pit in the back yard no shade no water skin and bones  just un believable how they treat these dogs.. its sickening.. really.  and or those the breed them to fight  just well dont get me started.

  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire Ā· Northeast, TN Ā· Member since 2015 Ā· 10k+ posts Ā· 16k+ votes
    4y

    Not only does everyone have a pit bull, they're all emotional support animals and none of them ever hurt a fly šŸ˜‚

    I actually don't have anything against pit bulls, really. I've known some that were really friendly. Unfortunately, they are a more aggressive dog by nature because that is their breeding, just like you'd have a hell of a time turning a Basset Hound into an attack dog. I have always had Labs, mostly rescues, and we baby our dogs (I call them Prima Doggas). I had one that was half Lab and half Rottweiler, and while she was the sweetest dog I could definitely see a predisposition in her that we could have easily trained her to be a killer. She was instinctively possessive of her food and her toys, which we never encouraged nor taught nor experienced with any of our other dogs, and was also fiercely protective of us while our other Labs were just big goofballs and probably would have happily went off with anyone. 

    The problem with Pits is as Jay said - they tend to be bought and owned by low-life people who train them poorly, if at all, and their instincts rule the day. We take our dog to a local dog park and the few pits that also come to the park tend to be more aggressive with the other dogs than most of the other breeds (dalmations are another one). 

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Investor Ā· Greenville, SC Ā· Member since 2016 Ā· 5k+ posts Ā· 13k+ votes
    4y

    My daughter adopted a stray pit bull that was hanging around her college soccer field.  He stays with us some times and is the calmest, wimpiest animal and follows my wife around constantly, particularly if it's raining.  He doesn't even really bark...he'll half-bark on a rare occasion, and pays no attention to other dogs.  See him below spooning with my son's adopted stray cat (who also stays with us on occasion).  Unfortunately, some pits can be unpredictable based on their upbringing.

  • Matthew CrivelliBusiness Member
    Lender Ā· MA Ā· Member since 2021 Ā· 1k+ posts Ā· 1k+ votes
    4y

    @Jerrad Shepherd

    Pit-bulls & smokers? Sounds like your rental is in the ghetto lol. These issues should be expected if this is the case. 

    Freedom Capital Funding, LLC523 Reviews
  • Flipper/Rehabber Ā· Tulsa, OK Ā· Member since 2019 Ā· 13 posts Ā· 30 votes
    4y

    This is not to say that there aren’t extremely nice pit bulls that people have raised from being a puppy, but in business it’s a numbers game.

    Pitbulls & Large Dogs:

    Pitbulls and Rottweilers make up 77% of all fatal dog bites, despite making up only 6% of the U.S. dog population

    Pitbulls are 2.5x more likely to bite in multiple anatomical locations than other breeds.

    Pitbulls are responsible for 60% of all injuries and 63% of ocular injuries.

    Pitbull terriers are 31% more likely to attack an unknown individual than other breeds

    Pitbull terriers are 48% more likely to attack without provocation than other breeds

    Pitbull attacks have higher morbidity rates, higher hospital charges, and a higher risk of death than attacks by other breeds.

    During 2005-2017, pit bulls killed one citizen every 16.7 days, totaling up to 284 Americans. Rottweilers killed over 105 days during that time period.

    From 2005 to 2017, Rottweiler and Pitbull attacks contributed to 76% of dog bite deaths.

    When comparing 2005-2010 to 2011-2017, Pitbull attack deaths have increased from 58% to 71%. Alternatively, Rottweiler deaths decreased from 14% to 7%.

    According to a 13-year data set, pit bulls caused 72% of attacks that killed a person 10-years and older vs. all other dog breeds put together, 28%.

    From 2005 to 2017, 54% of fatal attacks were inflicted by family dogs. Of that 54%, 64% were done by pit bulls. 52% involved killing a family or household member.

    When examining a 13-year data set, 54 fatal attacks included a dog killing its primary owner. Pit bulls were the cause of 63% of these deaths, over 8x more than any other type of dog.

    https://www.coloradoinjurylaw.com/dog-bite-statistics/#dog-bite-fatalities-by-breed

    The studies cited are at the bottom of the page.

  • Investor Ā· Jefferson City, MO Ā· Member since 2020 Ā· 190 posts Ā· 178 votes
    4y
    Quote from @JD Martin:

    Not only does everyone have a pit bull, they're all emotional support animals and none of them ever hurt a fly šŸ˜‚

    I actually don't have anything against pit bulls, really. I've known some that were really friendly. Unfortunately, they are a more aggressive dog by nature because that is their breeding, just like you'd have a hell of a time turning a Basset Hound into an attack dog. I have always had Labs, mostly rescues, and we baby our dogs (I call them Prima Doggas). I had one that was half Lab and half Rottweiler, and while she was the sweetest dog I could definitely see a predisposition in her that we could have easily trained her to be a killer. She was instinctively possessive of her food and her toys, which we never encouraged nor taught nor experienced with any of our other dogs, and was also fiercely protective of us while our other Labs were just big goofballs and probably would have happily went off with anyone. 

    My parents have 3 pure labs and I have a pure lab (grand-daughter of their first lab). I can confirm with 100% certainty my lab will happily walk off with someone else if they're willing to throw the ball for her.

    That being sad, it does make me sad knowing how abused Pits are. every Pit I've ever met has been a sweetheart but it's a business not a personal so I understand the decision to not allow them. Would not allowing dogs in general be an easier solution to this issue?
  • Property Manager Ā· Raleigh, NC Ā· Member since 2014 Ā· 728 posts Ā· 596 votes
    4y

    @Jerrad Shepherd

    I don't discriminate based on breed, but I do based on training. I meet any dog living in my rentals.

  • Investor Ā· Van Isle Ā· Member since 2021 Ā· 455 posts Ā· 226 votes
    4y

    An 86 year old women died following an attack by the neighbours 3 pits, in Calgary this weekend. Devastating.

  • Investor Ā· Richmond, VA Ā· Member since 2016 Ā· 1k+ posts Ā· 2k+ votes
    4y

    @Jerrad Shepherd,

    It's very sad, and let me just say-- I love that show "Pit Bulls and Parolees!"    

    Let me also warn you,  when you say you don't allow certain breeds, everyone, and their mom will tell you about how their dog is the absolute sweetest in the world.   They are sweet dogs! They are high energy dogs, and they are very smart too-- so they need mental stimulation.  All dogs can be wonderful!    They do have a bad reputation, and it's likely because of crappy people,.  That being said--  it's not a question of if it's a nice dog-- the question is-- how bad will the bite be?   What's the CAPACITY of the dog's bite?  That's why pitbulls and rotweillers are so bad, if they bite-- their ability and strength is what insurance companies say no to.     

    My good friend got a chunk of her face bit off, by a pit bull--  it was her friend's dog (both college educated paralegals who love animals), her friend adored and cherished that dog... my friend had to have plastic surgery and couldn't even go in the sun for 6 months!   Her friends defense-- the dog was just playing!

    In low-income areas, pit bulls/rotweillers/german shepherds are prevalent because they are seen as weapons/protection, that's why they are chained right outside the front or back door.  What do they want?  A dog to be aggressive!  I never in my life would have thought someone who just chain a dog outside, until my second rental, when I was oh so naive-- and it was the saddest thing possible, to see a dog outside when it's like 90 degrees, or 40 degrees.. I don't put up with anything in that anymore, actually changed updated our lease to "no outdoor only dogs.".     A lot of them do NOT see the dogs as family members, they see them as another layer of protection.  It's a survival mindset.

    Most don't spay/neuter their animals either, and heck-- some even breed them.   I tried to pay off someone to get rid of their dog (which was insanely aggressive, bit the neighbor twice), and they said "no, he's our investment, he will make us money".... they also locked him inside a closet.       Low income areas tend to see them as like body guards too, no one will mess with you with a big scary dog.   

    Since it's not a crazy emotional attachment, people are quick to get rid of them too--  when they move (obviously most landlords won't accept them), they have no problem surrendering them to the local shelters.  People are crappy.

    It's really sad, and shows how messed up humans can be.. but hopefully this helps you understand the logic and why there are so many pit bulls in low income areas.

  • Alicia MarksPro Member
    Fort Worth, TX Ā· Member since 2020 Ā· 1k+ posts Ā· 2k+ votes
    4y

    This is a difficult one for me, as I also am a foster for an animal rescue. I don't allow certain breeds because my insurance will not cover them. Just like children, the difference is in how they are trained, or more often NOT trained. All animals have a capacity to hurt, we had neighbors with chihuahuas that would terrorize my son getting off the bus everyday, but being mauled by them is not equivalent in damage of a larger breed. I have owned several of the breeds mentioned (I currently have my shepherd mix pup and my foster pitbull puppy sleeping at my feet), but I made sure my insurance covered them in addition to obedience training. If I found a landlord insurance with would cover and the dog was well behaved, I may be more inclined if they also carried renters insurance that covered them, which I require renters insurance either way.

  • Software Developer Ā· Vidor, TX Ā· Member since 2015 Ā· 922 posts Ā· 639 votes
    4y

    Next door elderly lady's Pit Bull bit her finger off.  She said he was having a sneezing fit...  I told her that if she loved him to keep him in the fence.

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant Ā· San Diego / Phoenix Ā· Member since 2021 Ā· 12k+ posts Ā· 15k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Sean Ross:
    5 Commons Myths That Fuel Wrongful Stigmas Against Pit Bulls

    https://www.onegreenplanet.org...

     Dude, there are so many errors and outright lies in that story it's pathetic....see @Mark Gabryel above for the same stats I was going to post. This topic comes up regularly.

    I don't rent to anyone with animals at all, ever. Just no reason to...there are plenty of people that want to rent and have no pets....

  • Cameron MoorePro Member
    Insurance Agent Ā· DFW, TX Ā· Member since 2021 Ā· 348 posts Ā· 245 votes
    4y

    I will simply post here what I tell all of my clients when it comes to Pit Bulls and other extremely powerful breeds. It is not that the dog breed is inherently MORE aggressive or mean. It is that every dog breed has the ability to turn on and bite a person. The difference when discussing liability is that the power from the big breeds generates greater damage than others. You will not see a lawsuit from a chihuahua bite. But you sure as heck will from a pit bull or rotty attack. 

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant Ā· San Diego / Phoenix Ā· Member since 2021 Ā· 12k+ posts Ā· 15k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Cameron Moore:

    It is not that the dog breed is inherently MORE aggressive or mean.

    I would say the numbers quoted above from @Mark Gabryel would dispute this thought. Unless they're all just coincidences.

  • Rental Property Investor Ā· Dallas, TX Ā· Member since 2020 Ā· 161 posts Ā· 88 votes
    4y

    @Jerrad Shepherd, you are so right. I don't usually like pets in my properties but Pit Bull, no way.

  • Rental Property Investor Ā· Beavercreek OH Ā· Member since 2018 Ā· 422 posts Ā· 970 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Jerrad Shepherd:

    It’s crazy to me how many potential tenants have aggressive breed dogs. I would estimate that a good 25% of the people that contact me any given month about a property have a Pitbull or multiple. They are shocked when I tell them that I cannot allow them in my units. It’s crazy to me that a large percentage of the population choosing to rent would have such a liability that would limit their choices on housing. Yet I know very few people who own their own homes that have aggressive breed dogs when they don’t have the limitations holding them back. I have noticed the same about smokers as well.


     Jerrad,

    I couldn't agree more.

    I can't understand the attraction of owning a large dog in a small space. Doesn't seem fair to the dog, no place to run and exercise or the owner, slobber, hair and smell everywhere.

    Maybe it's just me but I've noticed an inverse proportion to the owners income and IQ vs. the size of the dog. People who can barely feed themselves seem to always own a 100 pound dog.

    As a landlord and dog lover, I don't allow any large dogs in my rentals (except service animals). No upside, tons of downside.

    Respectfully, Gary

  • Investor Ā· Malakoff, TX Ā· Member since 2017 Ā· 2k+ posts Ā· 2k+ votes
    4y

    The real problem isn't the dogs. It's the tenants who have them. They know they need to rent, and they know having multiple pets will make that much more difficult.  But they do so anyway because they are irresponsible. 

  • Member since 2020 Ā· 2 posts Ā· 2 votes
    4y

    Shelters are filled with pit bulls, most of them have no where to go. I can understand why landlords would want to lower any potential risk. I have a pitbull but I would not rent to anyone with any mid to large breed dogs. I own property, but I would love to live in a high rise, the views are terrific, but I can’t trade that for my baby. I’ve had tenants with cats in the past they ruined drywall, doors, and molding. I had a neighbor with a pitbull that killed my tenant’s cat. I understand both sides and wish people would stop breeding pitbulls so much, and I hate to say it but by pitbull is a sweet heart.

  • Rental Property Investor Ā· Douglas County, MO Ā· Member since 2014 Ā· 1k+ posts Ā· 1k+ votes
    4y

    I am fortunate - The town where my rentals are located does not allow pitbulls. Someone even went to court trying to get an exemption for their ESA pitbull and they were shot down. So denying someone with a pitbull is easy. We just tell them that the city doesn't allow them. If they want to argue or complain, we just tell them to talk to City Hall.

    We do allow pets, in fact, all 10 of our rentals currently have pets, but we meet them before approval. You can tell a lot about the temperament of a dog by how it acts when meeting a stranger.

  • Specialist Ā· Easton, PA Ā· Member since 2018 Ā· 1k+ posts Ā· 2k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Mike Dymski:

    My daughter adopted a stray pit bull that was hanging around her college soccer field.  He stays with us some times and is the calmest, wimpiest animal and follows my wife around constantly, particularly if it's raining.  He doesn't even really bark...he'll half-bark on a rare occasion, and pays no attention to other dogs.  See him below spooning with my son's adopted stray cat (who also stays with us on occasion).  Unfortunately, some pits can be unpredictable based on their upbringing.

     Unpredictable is exactly it for me. I don’t trust any dogs, so I steer clear of them all. 
  • Rental Property Investor Ā· Gothenburg, NE Ā· Member since 2015 Ā· 74 posts Ā· 111 votes
    4y

    @Matthew Crivelli

    I actually have close to 60 doors total in 5 different towns, so it’s not like it’s a small case study…. Prices are up and tenant quality is down.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.