Legally obligated to rent to roommates?

Legally obligated to rent to roommates?

Real Estate Investor · White Salmon, WA · Member since 2016 · 20 posts · 9 votes

Greetings!

I'm a landlord in the State of Washington, 8 years.  Up until now I've gotten very lucky and all of my tenants have been highly qualified long term renters, married or single professional.  

Here's my question.  Am I legally obligated to rent to roommates?  Can I legally state in my rental qualification letter that I will not consider a roommate situation? I am in a very high demand area and could hold out for another highly qualified married or single person without taking the risk of having roommates.

Thank you for your time!

0Reply
120 views

Most Popular Reply

Benjamin AakerPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Brandon, SD · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
3y
Why deny the roommate? Just put that person on the lease as well. All adults living in my properties must be on the lease. Doesn't mattered whether they are married or not. They all get background checks and are either approved or not based on the results. Treat them all the same way and this shouldn't be a problem. Also, enforce your rules. If you have a roommate who moves in and is not on the lease, then the tenant is in violation and you need to correct that.
See this reply in the discussion

13 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Doug SmithPro Member
    Lender · Tampa, FL · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    I'm legally obligated to keep my roommate...at least that's what our marraige certificate says, but that's not your question...

    I know the laws in Washington State are very different than Florida so I am sure someone in WA can better answer the question, but you'll have to watch Federal laws against discriminating against family-status, age, etc. That being said, at least in FL, you can have in the lease application that all adult occupants must be on the application. You might not be able to come right out and say "no roommates", but you have the right to approve any adult on the application. I would think that would be a way to achieve what you seek without breaking the law. I'm not an attorney nor am I an expert in WA law, so perhaps someone else on here has more to add. 

  • Honolulu, HI · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    Aloha,

    So, married is fine...unmarried is not? Think about Federal Fair Housing laws. Heck, think about reality...lots of people are unmarried but living together as if for many years. You rent to People, not roommates, not children, not a particular race, religion, etc. etc. Just People. Your criteria needs to deal with verifiable facts regarding all of those people...credit, employment stability, income, public records, and other specifics that can be applied to all of those People. If, say, a five person group wants to rent from you, it could be mother, father, three kids; or mother, father, grandmother, uncle, one kid. You evaluate income for the entire group to meet your 3X or whatever criteria; you evaluate the employment stability of the primary and secondary wage earners; you evaluate the backgrounds of all and weigh the pros/cons of the entire picture. If all have Bad habits, you pass. If one or more primary wage earners also have decent credit, while others have some issues, it is pretty likely the primary will want to keep their credit intact. If they are all students, have each one provide a parent as co-signer, and perform credit and backgrounds on them as well. Be sure ALL are named on the Rental Agreement; you have a "joint and several" clause; and you use an addendum to add/remove individuals with ALL signing in agreement including you, which you only agree to if the primary is remaining or being replaced with an equally qualified primary.

  • Realtor · Hanover Twp, PA · Member since 2018 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y

    @Nina B., I disagree with @Doug Smith and @Richard F..

    Roommates are not a federally protected class of people with regard to real estate. Some people think it falls under "Familial Status" but that only pertains to people with children and also pregnant women.

    So, unless your state has additional protections specific to this you should have no issue denying roommates. I personally don't concern myself with restricting roommates because married couples break up almost as often as any other type of cohabitation situation.

    One thing to consider is that municipalities often regulate the number of unrelated people who can reside in one unit. So, be aware of any such local ordinance. 

  • Benjamin AakerPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Brandon, SD · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y
    Why deny the roommate? Just put that person on the lease as well. All adults living in my properties must be on the lease. Doesn't mattered whether they are married or not. They all get background checks and are either approved or not based on the results. Treat them all the same way and this shouldn't be a problem. Also, enforce your rules. If you have a roommate who moves in and is not on the lease, then the tenant is in violation and you need to correct that.
  • Rental Property Investor · Everett, WA · Member since 2015 · 458 posts · 386 votes
    3y

    @Nina B. I wouldn't be concerned with the fact that you are getting interest from roommates.  As others have suggested, just screen them both per your normal rental criteria and have them on the lease.  We also have in the lease that any new roommates or swapping of roommates requires them to pass our screening. 

    We have had more issues with tenants who were married and then separated than from the roommates we have had.

    RHAWA & WLA are both good organizations which have information that can help you if you need support with your lease agreement.

    John

  • Real Estate Investor · White Salmon, WA · Member since 2016 · 20 posts · 9 votes
    3y

    Thanks everyone for your time and responses!

    I've never had a roommate situation before.  All of my other tenants, single or married have qualified on the basis of one income. I was nervous about qualifying on the basis of dual incomes for example: one party leaves, 2nd party has trouble finding a new roommate and now I've got a situation on my hands for an undetermined duration.  Knowing myself (complete softy), I could be without 50% of my rental income or worst case scenerio possibly facing an eviction situation towards the 2nd party, which I'd feel awful about.  So yup, this is why I'm hesitant. 

    For now I think I'll just process the applications as they come in and let the qualifications help me decide.

    Thanks so much again,

    Nina

  • Realtor · Hanover Twp, PA · Member since 2018 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Doug Smith:

    I'm legally obligated to keep my roommate...at least that's what our marraige certificate says, but that's not your question...

    I know the laws in Washington State are very different than Florida so I am sure someone in WA can better answer the question, but you'll have to watch Federal laws against discriminating against family-status, age, etc. That being said, at least in FL, you can have in the lease application that all adult occupants must be on the application. You might not be able to come right out and say "no roommates", but you have the right to approve any adult on the application. I would think that would be a way to achieve what you seek without breaking the law. I'm not an attorney nor am I an expert in WA law, so perhaps someone else on here has more to add. 

    @Doug Smith, familial status with regard to federal fair housing law only pertains to having children or being pregnant. 

  • Real Estate Investor · White Salmon, WA · Member since 2016 · 20 posts · 9 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Richard F.:

    Aloha,

    So, married is fine...unmarried is not? Think about Federal Fair Housing laws. Heck, think about reality...lots of people are unmarried but living together as if for many years. You rent to People, not roommates, not children, not a particular race, religion, etc. etc. Just People. Your criteria needs to deal with verifiable facts regarding all of those people...credit, employment stability, income, public records, and other specifics that can be applied to all of those People. If, say, a five person group wants to rent from you, it could be mother, father, three kids; or mother, father, grandmother, uncle, one kid. You evaluate income for the entire group to meet your 3X or whatever criteria; you evaluate the employment stability of the primary and secondary wage earners; you evaluate the backgrounds of all and weigh the pros/cons of the entire picture. If all have Bad habits, you pass. If one or more primary wage earners also have decent credit, while others have some issues, it is pretty likely the primary will want to keep their credit intact. If they are all students, have each one provide a parent as co-signer, and perform credit and backgrounds on them as well. Be sure ALL are named on the Rental Agreement; you have a "joint and several" clause; and you use an addendum to add/remove individuals with ALL signing in agreement including you, which you only agree to if the primary is remaining or being replaced with an equally qualified primary.


  • Real Estate Investor · White Salmon, WA · Member since 2016 · 20 posts · 9 votes
    3y

    Hi Richard!

    You mentioned a "joint and several" clause.  Never heard of it, but it most certainly sounds like something I should be looking into and will.

    Knowledge is power!  Thank you!

    Nina

  • Real Estate Investor · White Salmon, WA · Member since 2016 · 20 posts · 9 votes
    3y
    Quote from @John Barrett:

    @Nina B. I wouldn't be concerned with the fact that you are getting interest from roommates.  As others have suggested, just screen them both per your normal rental criteria and have them on the lease.  We also have in the lease that any new roommates or swapping of roommates requires them to pass our screening. 

    We have had more issues with tenants who were married and then separated than from the roommates we have had.

    RHAWA & WLA are both good organizations which have information that can help you if you need support with your lease agreement.

    John


  • Real Estate Investor · White Salmon, WA · Member since 2016 · 20 posts · 9 votes
    3y

    Hi John,

    You mentioned "we have had more issues with tenants who were married and then separated than from roommates we have had."  

    I honestly am quite happily surprised!  Thanks much for your input and letting me know. I'm much less nervous about the prospect of roommates now.

    Nina

  • Melanie ThomasBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · San Antonio · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 489 votes
    3y

    I am always happy to share my screening criteria if interested. Avoid any potential Fair Housing issues and screen each tenant the exact same way. Good luck & happy investing! 

    RentWerx Property Management4.73300 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · Laurel, MD · Member since 2016 · 378 posts · 382 votes
    3y

    @Nina B. Roommates are just like married couples, they can be great or they can be a pain you know where.

    Here's my advise from dealing with this. 1. Make sure the each roommate makes 2 or 2.5 times the rent. That way if one leaves, the other can maintain until they find a new roommate. 2. Make sure in the lease that it clearly states the each roommate is fully 100% responsible for 100% of the rent. You don't want, I paid my half. No, you make them work it out. 3. DO NOT allow each of them to make payments to you. You make them figure out who is the payer. Simply put, 1 roommate makes the monthly rental payment. They can figure out how to get each other paid.

    Some people will say this is too strict but this is from hard knocks. Good Luck.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.