Should I allow Corgi dog on my new Berber carpet?

Should I allow Corgi dog on my new Berber carpet?

Member since 2018 · 11 posts · 1 vote

Hi, Met a lovely young couple who are interested in renting our luxury condo in Palo Alto. The only thing I am hesitating about is they have a corgi dog. She said it is her psychologist prescribed service dog to ease her anxiety, so it is a "service dog." But our new Berber carpet costs $8,000. I never had any dogs and not sure if you have experience with Corgi. They said he is well trained and never pees on the carpet. I need your advice. Thanks!

0Reply
29 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · RVA · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
3y

You need to research service animal laws very carefully. This is very dangerous territory from a legal standpoint. This isn't about the carpet, it's about Fair Housing Laws and your legal requirements & responsibilities.

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · RVA · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y

    You need to research service animal laws very carefully. This is very dangerous territory from a legal standpoint. This isn't about the carpet, it's about Fair Housing Laws and your legal requirements & responsibilities.

  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    3y

    @Alicia Zhao

    I would say no. First I would not put $8,000 carpet in a rental (sorry if this is harsh), but then I would not allow pets.

    If you did I would find out what the max deposit you can get is and max out the deposit because you will be replacing that carpet.

    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    Your $8,000 with inflation might be $12,000.

    Berber is so pretty and in your own home it's not a problem.

    For a rental though, something less prone to expensive damage is always nice.

    If you believe you will keep it long term, (on replacement) it's a high end rental, standard apartment carpeting (pet resistant as an option) might work, or something a little harder to damage, such as stone or porcelain tile might make the unit (less expensive to damage and repair) and still keep that high end feel.

    Just my 2 cents.

    https://tilezz.com/blogs/tilezz_digest/10-pet-friendly-tile-recommendations

  • Member since 2018 · 11 posts · 1 vote
    3y

    Thank you! We bought the condo last year and the seller put in the Berber carpet. We wish it was synthetic hardwood floor for easy maintenance. 

  • Architect · Papillion, NE · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 840 votes
    3y

    Verify this is a "service animal" and not an "emotional support animal".   There is a difference.  Service animals are covered under ADA (federally protected) and emotional animals are not.  Its been a long while since i dug into this.  If you dont want the animal in the place find a different way to disqualify them.

  • Member since 2018 · 11 posts · 1 vote
    3y

    ThANK YOU!

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2021 · 384 posts · 197 votes
    3y

    With a carpet that expensive, I don't think it's a good idea to allow any pets into that property, no matter how well trained they are. I definitely agree with Jim though. Check to see if they're a service animal or emotional support animal and you can go from there. 

  • Member since 2018 · 11 posts · 1 vote
    3y

    Thank you!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.