Automating Tenant Application Process for small time investor

Automating Tenant Application Process for small time investor

Member since 2023 · 8 posts · 8 votes

I have 3 SFR & 1 Mid term rental, My tenant application process goes as follows: I put an ad on FB Marketplace and a sign in the yard with my phone number. Potential tenants reach out to me and I message or text each potential tenant requesting there email address. I then send them an application to fill out and return. Once reviewed I schedule a tour and if everything checks out I go with them. This process is much different for my Mid term rental as I use Furnished Finder.

My question here is how do I automate my system to go from the potential tenant seeing my ad or sign to a filled out application without my intervention? Is there a way I can put a QR code on the for rent sign or a link in the Facebook ad that allows the potential tenant to fill it out. I don't want to scare the tenant away thinking it is a spam link or worse. 

I have thought about turning the application into a google form to make it easier on the tenants. Has anyone experienced this before? I'm a small RE investor so anything that doesn't involve a monthly subscription is a plus. 

1Reply
646 views

Most Popular Reply

Ryan SpathBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · Boise, ID · Member since 2017 · 562 posts · 377 votes
6mo

@Alex Deal

I believe tenant turner has a process that is similar to what you are looking for. WE have looked into it but have not pulled the trigger yet as our rentals are a lead source for myself being an RE agent. 

To my understanding you have a set of prescreened criteria that once completed allows the tenant to view the property, once they view, the company TT sends them the application. You set all the criteria etc. Give them a look, I'm sure you can search the forums and find more information about this. Best of luck

See this reply in the discussion

21 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Honolulu, HI · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6mo

    You state that you "don't want to scare the tenant away" and you want to "make it easier on the tenants". And yet, the first thing you want to have them do is fill out an application? I'm not giving up my very personal information to any Tom, Dick, or Harry that runs an ad.

    Marketing is about getting eyes on the product, and, especially for rentals, the more the better. Sales of any kind is about Numbers. More eyeballs, the bigger and better the pool of prospects. The Application Process comes later. Otherwise, you absolutely will miss out on a lot of great Tenants. 

    Everyone wants to "automate" and let "AI" do the dirty work. I estimate that I have processed over 3,000 Rental Applications, personally, by hand. I can count the evictions filed on Tenants that I placed, on one hand, and have two fingers left. You need to investigate, gather info, and see that it all fits. And YOU need to determine your screening criteria. If the bar is too high, you will lose out on good Tenants; if the bar is too low, you will have lots of headaches, service calls, and Court time. You don't even know, in most cases, exactly WHAT info AI is pulling, or how recent it is, or what the bar is. You are gambling.

  • Member since 2023 · 8 posts · 8 votes
    6mo

    It's not that deep. The first phase of my application is FREE, doesn't ask for a SSN, Bank statements and/or do any background checks for this reason. It just tells me who they are and there broad financial situation. Once the tenant fills out that information I schedule a tour with them, meet them in person and then do a hard credit check. I'm just looking for a way I can get someone standing on the side of the road looking at a "for rent" sign more information on the property without me answering a phone call while at my day job.  This comment feels like ragebait. Congratulations on your thousands of rental applications bro. 

  • Honolulu, HI · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6mo

    Well, maybe read the forums a while before jumping in. What you are asking about is typically referred to as "pre-screening" and is fairly common and useful. An "application" OTOH, does indeed require much more depth of information, which, as I stated, I would not be handing over without seeing the unit and meeting a live person.

    Ask the right questions, you will often get very good answers on this site. Bro.

    Email them a simple poll/survey type response form with your basic Q's if you can't take calls. Or use a Virtual Assistant. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Memphis · Member since 2026 · 555 posts · 320 votes
    6mo

    You’re actually pretty close — this just needs a cleaner flow.

    Yes, you can automate this without adding subscriptions. Most small investors simplify it to:

    Ad/Sign → Link/QR → Application → Review

    A Google Form works well for this. It’s free, mobile-friendly, and keeps everything organized in one place. You can link it directly in your Facebook ad and generate a QR code for your yard sign that goes straight to the form.

    To avoid the “spam link” concern, just be clear in your listing. Something like: “Apply here: [link] — applications reviewed before showings.” Using a recognizable link (like Google Forms) also helps with trust.

    It also helps to keep the form short upfront (basic info + a few pre-screen questions like income range, move-in timing, pets). That way you’re filtering before you ever get into back-and-forth conversations.

    The main benefit is you’re only engaging with people who’ve already taken a step, which usually improves applicant quality and cuts down on time spent responding to unqualified leads.

    • Member since 2023 · 8 posts · 8 votes
      5mo
      Quote from @Jim Johnson:

      You’re actually pretty close — this just needs a cleaner flow.

      Yes, you can automate this without adding subscriptions. Most small investors simplify it to:

      Ad/Sign → Link/QR → Application → Review

      A Google Form works well for this. It’s free, mobile-friendly, and keeps everything organized in one place. You can link it directly in your Facebook ad and generate a QR code for your yard sign that goes straight to the form.

      To avoid the “spam link” concern, just be clear in your listing. Something like: “Apply here: [link] — applications reviewed before showings.” Using a recognizable link (like Google Forms) also helps with trust.

      It also helps to keep the form short upfront (basic info + a few pre-screen questions like income range, move-in timing, pets). That way you’re filtering before you ever get into back-and-forth conversations.

      The main benefit is you’re only engaging with people who’ve already taken a step, which usually improves applicant quality and cuts down on time spent responding to unqualified leads.

      Do you have a google form template I might could branch off of? I tried looking up a google  template up for this use and it wasn't successful. I then tried to build one myself and the google form didn't allow for a lot of open-ended question/answers. Maybe I just need to simplify the Google form? 
  • Ryan SpathBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Boise, ID · Member since 2017 · 562 posts · 377 votes
    6mo

    @Alex Deal

    I believe tenant turner has a process that is similar to what you are looking for. WE have looked into it but have not pulled the trigger yet as our rentals are a lead source for myself being an RE agent. 

    To my understanding you have a set of prescreened criteria that once completed allows the tenant to view the property, once they view, the company TT sends them the application. You set all the criteria etc. Give them a look, I'm sure you can search the forums and find more information about this. Best of luck

  • Member since 2026 · 52 posts · 16 votes
    5mo

    The pattern you're describing — ad goes up, phone rings, manual process kicks in — is exactly where things break down at scale. The fix isn't necessarily more tools, it's structuring the intake process so every inquiry gets captured, acknowledged automatically, and tracked until it converts or goes cold deliberately. What does your current follow-up look like after the initial contact?

    • Member since 2023 · 8 posts · 8 votes
      5mo
      Quote from @Araba Ayomide:

      The pattern you're describing — ad goes up, phone rings, manual process kicks in — is exactly where things break down at scale. The fix isn't necessarily more tools, it's structuring the intake process so every inquiry gets captured, acknowledged automatically, and tracked until it converts or goes cold deliberately. What does your current follow-up look like after the initial contact?


       Araba,

      Typically after the initial contact(phone call/Facebook messenger) they will send me there email via text. Once I have there email I send them an email describing the property in more detailed with an attached PDF to fill out.

      This is the part where I lose a lot of potential tenants because they typically have to print the application fill it out and then scan it back to me, which for my clientele for this property, is asking a lot. I typically don't follow up from here unless they send me an application. 

      I believe by sending them a direct form/link to fill out rather than a pdf, I will get more interactions and completed applications as this would be a simpler process for the applicant.

    • New to Real Estate · Dothan, AL · Member since 2024 · 6 posts · 0 votes
      5mo
      Quote from @Araba Ayomide:

      The pattern you're describing — ad goes up, phone rings, manual process kicks in — is exactly where things break down at scale. The fix isn't necessarily more tools, it's structuring the intake process so every inquiry gets captured, acknowledged automatically, and tracked until it converts or goes cold deliberately. What does your current follow-up look like after the initial contact?


       Is there a CRM or something like that needs to be implemented?

    • Member since 2026 · 52 posts · 16 votes
      5mo
      Quote from @Shane Marler:
      Quote from @Araba Ayomide:

      The pattern you're describing — ad goes up, phone rings, manual process kicks in — is exactly where things break down at scale. The fix isn't necessarily more tools, it's structuring the intake process so every inquiry gets captured, acknowledged automatically, and tracked until it converts or goes cold deliberately. What does your current follow-up look like after the initial contact?


       Is there a CRM or something like that needs to be implemented?


      Yes exactly — a CRM is the foundation but the key is how it's configured. Most generic CRMs need a lot of customization to fit how a landlord or property manager actually operates. What works best is a system built specifically around your intake and follow-up workflow so leads don't require manual effort to track.

      What does your current setup look like — how many units are you managing and how are inquiries coming in right now?

  • Cliff H.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Nashua, NH · Member since 2014 · 587 posts · 477 votes
    5mo

    I spent years on this exact issue before I had a solution. And, yes, the first problem is your phone number in the yard. Don’t do that. Start backward from the type of tenant you’re seeking and things will get a lot clearer.

  • Real Estate Investor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2010 · 30 posts · 5 votes
    5mo

    Alex,  I agree with Jim ------you already figured out the right move. A Google Form is the answer -----For now---You can use a more complex CRM as you grow. 

    Keep it simple — name, phone, email, move-in date, monthly income range, number of occupants, pets, yes or no. That's it for round one. No SSN, no sensitive info. Just enough to know if they're worth your time.

    For the open-ended question issue, just use short answer fields instead of paragraph fields. Google Forms allows both. Keep questions yes/no or multiple choice where you can, and it stays clean on a phone screen.

    Generate a free QR code at qr-code-generator.com, point it to your form, and put it on your sign. Add the same link in your FB ad description with one line: "Fill out a quick form before scheduling a tour."

    That's your whole system. No subscriptions, no printing, no scanning PDFs back and forth.

  • Realtor · West New York, NJ · Member since 2026 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    4mo

    Hey Alex,

    I totally agree with Jim and Gary here—the Google Form is exactly the right move for your current portfolio size.

    As a realtor with a data science background, I can tell you that the modern tenant/buyer expects everything to happen seamlessly on their phone.

    To build off Gary's advice regarding your Google Form setup:

    1. Keep it exclusively mobile-friendly: When you build the form, literally test it on your own phone before sharing it publicly. Use multiple-choice or dropdown menus instead of short answers wherever possible (e.g., instead of asking "What is your income?", use a dropdown with ranges: "$40k-$60k", "$60k-$80k", "$80k-$100k", etc.). Typing on a phone is friction; tapping is easy.

    2. The QR Code Strategy: Gary is right. A free generator is all you need. I recommend printing the QR code large enough (at least 6x6 inches) so they can scan it from their car window. If you took a video of the unit (I always do), you can put a clear call-to-action above it: "Scan Here for Instant Video Tour & Pre-Screening." There are also free tools that allow you to put a QR code directly onto digital flyers (usually with a small watermark), or you can upgrade to a paid version for fully branded QR flyers.

    3. The Facebook Ad Link: Use the shortened version of the Google Form link, so it looks clean in your Facebook ad description. Frame it as a time-saver for them: "Please complete this quick pre-screening to schedule a viewing."

    Wish you all the best!

  • Specialist · Goa, India · Member since 2026 · 175 posts · 36 votes
    4mo

    @Alex Deal the Google Form approach is actually a solid starting point and works better than most people expect. A few things that make it work smoothly:

    For the QR code concern — link the QR code directly to your Google Form with a clean URL and a simple title like "Rental Application for [address]." Most tenants recognize Google Forms instantly and it doesn't feel like spam. You can also use a free Bitly link to shorten and brand it.

    For Facebook — put the form link directly in the listing description with a clear call to action like "Fill out a quick application here before scheduling a tour." This pre-qualifies people before they even contact you.

    Google Form submissions automatically log to a Google Sheet with timestamps, so you have a running record of every applicant without any manual tracking.

    The one gap this doesn't solve is the initial response when someone texts your sign number at 9pm — they still have to wait for you to manually send the form link. That's usually where serious tenants slip through.

    Alex — how many inquiries are you typically getting per week across your properties?

    • Member since 2023 · 8 posts · 8 votes
      3mo
      Quote from @Andrea Fernandes:

      @Alex Deal the Google Form approach is actually a solid starting point and works better than most people expect. A few things that make it work smoothly:

      For the QR code concern — link the QR code directly to your Google Form with a clean URL and a simple title like "Rental Application for [address]." Most tenants recognize Google Forms instantly and it doesn't feel like spam. You can also use a free Bitly link to shorten and brand it.

      For Facebook — put the form link directly in the listing description with a clear call to action like "Fill out a quick application here before scheduling a tour." This pre-qualifies people before they even contact you.

      Google Form submissions automatically log to a Google Sheet with timestamps, so you have a running record of every applicant without any manual tracking.

      The one gap this doesn't solve is the initial response when someone texts your sign number at 9pm — they still have to wait for you to manually send the form link. That's usually where serious tenants slip through.

      Alex — how many inquiries are you typically getting per week across your properties?


       Andrea, If I have a unit available I would say I have around 100-200 inquiries in a week. either through cell or facebook marketplace. 

  • Sean ReganPro Member
    Investor · Charlotte NC · Member since 2024 · 11 posts · 8 votes
    4mo

    I realize you said no subscriptions, but I have a few rentals and have had a great experience with Landlord Studio.  You do all of this within Landlord Studio: 

    1) write the listing with the help of AI and include pictures, then syndicate the listing to Zillow, Trulia and others.

    2) Applicants will reach out to you with interest.  You get a list of people with their contact info and status, and you send them the pre-screening questionnaire.  It takes 3 minutes for them to complete.  80% of people won't do the pre-screen, and you save yourself a bunch of time by not responding to each one.

    3) If the applicant passes the pre-screen, coordinate a showing with them.

    4) If they want to apply, send them a link with the full application and background check.  It takes the applicant about 15 minutes to complete, and you should get the full background check back in a day or two.

    I have not tried the Facebook and Google Form method here, but I believe it is worth it to pay a little bit for Landlord Studio to keep the process on one platform and save time.

  • Specialist · Goa, India · Member since 2026 · 175 posts · 36 votes
    3mo

    @Alex Deal 

    100-200 a week is a serious volume — at that scale a Google Form helps but the bottleneck shifts to what happens after someone submits. If you're manually reviewing each submission and deciding who to follow up with, that's still a significant time drain.

    At that volume the piece worth automating is the acknowledgment and filtering layer — submissions get an instant confirmation, basic pre-screening questions trigger automatically, and only qualified responses surface for your attention. You stop touching the 80% who don't meet criteria and focus only on the ones who do.

    Are most of your inquiries coming through Facebook Messenger or direct calls from the yard sign?

  • Member since 2026 · 59 posts · 16 votes
    2mo

    I think you're on the right track. A QR code on the sign and a link in your Facebook ad that takes prospects directly to a simple application is a great next step.

    As you grow, I've found the biggest time saver is automating the entire leasing process—from lead capture and pre-screening to scheduling and resident communication. It creates a better experience for prospects and cuts down on the back-and-forth.

    Happy to connect if you'd like to compare notes. I've seen some really effective workflows for streamlining this process.

  • Jimmy LieuBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2019 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2mo
    Quote from @Alex Deal:

    I have 3 SFR & 1 Mid term rental, My tenant application process goes as follows: I put an ad on FB Marketplace and a sign in the yard with my phone number. Potential tenants reach out to me and I message or text each potential tenant requesting there email address. I then send them an application to fill out and return. Once reviewed I schedule a tour and if everything checks out I go with them. This process is much different for my Mid term rental as I use Furnished Finder.

    My question here is how do I automate my system to go from the potential tenant seeing my ad or sign to a filled out application without my intervention? Is there a way I can put a QR code on the for rent sign or a link in the Facebook ad that allows the potential tenant to fill it out. I don't want to scare the tenant away thinking it is a spam link or worse. 

    I have thought about turning the application into a google form to make it easier on the tenants. Has anyone experienced this before? I'm a small RE investor so anything that doesn't involve a monthly subscription is a plus. 

    Great question and welcome! I think you're on the right track with a Google Form. For a smaller portfolio, it's hard to beat because it's free, mobile friendly, and sends responses straight to a spreadsheet. I'd put a QR code on the yard sign that says something like "Scan to Apply" and use the same link in your Facebook Marketplace listing. Most renters are used to scanning QR codes these days, so I don't think it'll come across as spam as long as your branding and property details match the listing. You could also add a few pre-screening questions at the top, like desired move-in date, income, pets, and smoking, so you spend less time reviewing applicants who aren't a fit. If they pass that first step, then you can move them to a full application and screening. That keeps your process simple without paying for another subscription. Happy to connect and answer any questions you have!
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.