Virtual staging: have you used it?

Virtual staging: have you used it?

Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes

Virtual staging is a method of placing furniture in an image to make a room appear furnished. Example:

Have you used virtual staging? If so, what is your favorite software to use? Did it help you rent/sell the property faster?

The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
1Reply
115 views

Most Popular Reply

Melanie ThomasBusiness Member
Real Estate Broker · San Antonio · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 489 votes
2y

I have tried Boxbrownie in the past. I did not find that it helped rent homes faster in my market. Really cool though! 

RentWerx Property Management4.73300 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Wheat Ridge, CO · Member since 2021 · 35 posts · 21 votes
    2y

    My wife is an agent and adamantly opposes virtual staging for a few different reasons.

    1. The last thing you want is a buyer having expectations of how a home is going to look and then be disappointed when they walk in bc the listing photos present the home differently than it actually is.

    2. Though VS is getting better and better there is always some goofy angles and perspectives that distort dimensions of rooms and what actually fits in the space.

    3. Many buyers can’t visualize the potential for an open space and a vacant house can seem cold/not homey. Minimalistic yet tasteful staging allows the buyer to see themselves living in the home. It also gives them perspective on whether or not their own furniture would fit in the space.

    4. Minor cosmetic defects stick out like a sore thumb on completely vacant houses. I’m not talking about hanging a picture over a hole in the wall but let’s say small chips in paint on the baseboards might seem like a way bigger deal to a buyer in a vacant home than it would be to a buyer in a staged home.

    Just our thoughts on the matter and would love to hear other agent’s opinions!


    Cheers!

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Brian Malavsky:

    Those are good points. When I use a virtually staged photo, it actually says "Virtual image" on the picture, we state there are virtually staged images in the public comments, and I include a picture of the room as it actually is without the staging so viewers can see reality vs. virtual.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Investor · Wheat Ridge, CO · Member since 2021 · 35 posts · 21 votes
    2y

    Oh good idea! I think that would help a lot. I could see the story of virtual staging or not also be dependent on asset class, price point, and market norms as well. 

  • Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2015 · 100 posts · 40 votes
    2y

    I used virtual staging for our rental last year.  I used BoxBrownie.com - easy, quick and affordable.  

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Janice R.:

    I used virtual staging for our rental last year.  I used BoxBrownie.com - easy, quick and affordable.  


     I've used boxbrownie and a couple others. It's getting cheaper and easier!

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Melanie ThomasBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · San Antonio · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 489 votes
    2y

    I have tried Boxbrownie in the past. I did not find that it helped rent homes faster in my market. Really cool though! 

    RentWerx Property Management4.73300 Reviews
  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    OP
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Melanie Thomas:

    I have tried Boxbrownie in the past. I did not find that it helped rent homes faster in my market. Really cool though! 


    I find it helpful with sales. Rentals go so fast that it's not important.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Real Estate Consultant · Keller, TX · Member since 2024 · 8 posts · 4 votes
    2y

    @Nathan Gesner I believe you nailed it on the head with your last statement. Rentals go so fast. VS probably makes more sense when selling, due to the higher margins. Whereas I don't know if it will make up for the cost of software when only renting. 

  • Real Estate Consultant · Columbus, OH · Member since 2024 · 12 posts · 6 votes
    2y

    @Nathan Gesner!

    We often use VS for apartments that have floor plans that are a bit odd and find they are very helpful. I think for the average renter, they can't tell a property that is actually staged vs. virtually staged. In that way, it's much more cost-effective and produces strong results. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.