Critique My Postcard

Critique My Postcard

Insurance Agent · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2016 · 100 posts · 36 votes

Last chance to make changes before my first 1000 go out what do you all think? 14 pt color and gloss front and back. What do you like? What do you hate? and why? Thanks in advance!

1Reply
42 views

Most Popular Reply

Architect · Papillion, NE · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 840 votes
10y

Graphically this is obnoxious.  You should review your companies graphic branding policy or create one.  Yes, you got peoples attention but for the wrong reasons I feel.  This may have more of negative impact then you may think.  There is no sense of elegance or look professional.  Way too many colors going.  If I got this at home I would think the circus is coming to town and trash it. To this says this guy doesn't know what he is doing because it lacks professionalism in design. I don't know you but I bet you know what you are doing and a competent person.   Ask your self is this what I want people to think of my company?  I wouldn't.  I am not trying to be rude but graphically it needs a make over.  As for the content on it; I will let other chime in as this it out of my realm.  

I would start googling and see what graphics you can find.  Google key words: "postcard graphic design real estate" incase the link doesn't work.

https://www.google.com/search?q=postcard+graphic+design&safe=off&biw=1243&bih=701&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwjCzY3DjPrKAhWGyT4KHZ0XDAMQsAQIPQ#safe=off&tbm=isch&q=postcard+graphic+design+real+estate

Yes you can use a bold colors but not so many of them at once. Think of the ones you  have seen or received and you liked.  Now days branding is key!  Create a brand and let the brand work for you.  Be simple, be consistent.  Does your business card match your flyer, your postcard, your letter head, or your website?  Find a college graphic designer to design something for you for cheap option. 

See this reply in the discussion

27 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Roanoke, VA · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 374 votes
    10y

    that card should work well,now send it and let us know how it works for you 

    Good luck @Eric H.

  • Insurance Agent · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2016 · 100 posts · 36 votes
    10y

    Thanks @Mark Broganfeels good to get some approval, haha. It's a standard size post card so I thought it should be as annoying to look at as possible without being ugly. Do you think it will drive more calls or more web traffic?

  • Investor · Roanoke, VA · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 374 votes
    10y

    use it for direct mail marketing,it should work well,just keep in mind you have to keep sending them to get a good response rate 

    Good luck @Eric H.

  • Investor · Dickson, TN · Member since 2016 · 17 posts · 7 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Eric H.:

    Last chance to make changes before my first 1000 go out what do you all think? 14 pt color and gloss front and back. What do you like? What do you hate? and why? Thanks in advance!

     I would bold CASH as much as possible, and make sure the print is large enough for a Senior's eyes to read, i wear bifocals (I am in my 40's), and can't see small print anymore,  and just trash stuff I can't read. 

  • Insurance Agent · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2016 · 100 posts · 36 votes
    10y

    Thank you @Gina Ruff  That's gold!

  • Investor · Dickson, TN · Member since 2016 · 17 posts · 7 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Gina Ruff:
    Originally posted by @Eric H.:

    Last chance to make changes before my first 1000 go out what do you all think? 14 pt color and gloss front and back. What do you like? What do you hate? and why? Thanks in advance!

     I would bold CASH as much as possible, and make sure the print is large enough for a Senior's eyes to read, i wear bifocals (I am in my 40's), and can't see small print anymore,  and just trash stuff I can't read. 

     The phrase "ignore it", bothers me for some reason...I would rather see

    Don't Fix It or Clean it! I have your solution! Call Eric  good luck! 

  • Insurance Agent · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2016 · 100 posts · 36 votes
    10y

    @Gina Ruff

    My thinking was that some folks let their house go because its hard to look at the facts (denial) I wanted to talk to those people as well. What about the phrase bothers you?

  • Investor · Dickson, TN · Member since 2016 · 17 posts · 7 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Eric H.:

    @Gina Ruff

    My thinking was that some folks let their house go because its hard to look at the facts (denial) I wanted to talk to those people as well. What about the phrase bothers you?

     Good idea..the word  gives me a negative vibe, and if I think ignore, the first thing i think of is ignoring a person.. which you don't want the owners to do..  How about the word avoid instead?

  • Insurance Agent · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2016 · 100 posts · 36 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Gina Ruff:
    Originally posted by @Eric H.:

    @Gina Ruff

    My thinking was that some folks let their house go because its hard to look at the facts (denial) I wanted to talk to those people as well. What about the phrase bothers you?

     Good idea..the word  gives me a negative vibe, and if I think ignore, the first thing i think of is ignoring a person.. which you don't want the owners to do..  How about the word avoid instead?

     I see what you're saying creating urgency without saying negative words! How about:

    "Don't fix it, don't clean it, take control of the situation! Call Eric now @...."

  • Developer · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 904 votes
    10y

    @Eric H., it looks good. 

    Don't over analyze it - send it out.

    Which list are you using and who is printing/mailing the PCs?

  • Investor · Dickson, TN · Member since 2016 · 17 posts · 7 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Eric H.:
    Originally posted by @Gina Ruff:
    Originally posted by @Eric H.:

    @Gina Ruff

    My thinking was that some folks let their house go because its hard to look at the facts (denial) I wanted to talk to those people as well. What about the phrase bothers you?

     Good idea..the word  gives me a negative vibe, and if I think ignore, the first thing i think of is ignoring a person.. which you don't want the owners to do..  How about the word avoid instead?

     I see what you're saying creating urgency without saying negative words! How about:

    "Don't fix it, don't clean it, take control of the situation! Call Eric now @...."

     YES!!  That is good, very good, I would go with that..

  • Insurance Agent · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2016 · 100 posts · 36 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Percy N.:

    @Eric H., it looks good. 

    Don't over analyze it - send it out.

    Which list are you using and who is printing/mailing the PCs?

     Thanks Percy, custom parameters aimed toward age and equity. The most cost effective vendor I found to source the list, print my design, and send postcards was an online vendor psprint.com

  • Millersville, MD · Member since 2015 · 140 posts · 47 votes
    10y

    Looks good!  Keep us posted on how the mailing goes.  I love to hear peoples response rate.  The good, bad and ugly.  

  • Architect · Papillion, NE · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 840 votes
    10y

    Graphically this is obnoxious.  You should review your companies graphic branding policy or create one.  Yes, you got peoples attention but for the wrong reasons I feel.  This may have more of negative impact then you may think.  There is no sense of elegance or look professional.  Way too many colors going.  If I got this at home I would think the circus is coming to town and trash it. To this says this guy doesn't know what he is doing because it lacks professionalism in design. I don't know you but I bet you know what you are doing and a competent person.   Ask your self is this what I want people to think of my company?  I wouldn't.  I am not trying to be rude but graphically it needs a make over.  As for the content on it; I will let other chime in as this it out of my realm.  

    I would start googling and see what graphics you can find.  Google key words: "postcard graphic design real estate" incase the link doesn't work.

    https://www.google.com/search?q=postcard+graphic+design&safe=off&biw=1243&bih=701&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwjCzY3DjPrKAhWGyT4KHZ0XDAMQsAQIPQ#safe=off&tbm=isch&q=postcard+graphic+design+real+estate

    Yes you can use a bold colors but not so many of them at once. Think of the ones you  have seen or received and you liked.  Now days branding is key!  Create a brand and let the brand work for you.  Be simple, be consistent.  Does your business card match your flyer, your postcard, your letter head, or your website?  Find a college graphic designer to design something for you for cheap option. 

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    10y

    @Eric H. I am curious about the statement, cash offer today close in 2 weeks or less. Is that a true statement that you can backup with previous experience that your deals all close in 2 weeks or less? I am just thinking you may want to say something like "close in as little as 2 weeks". I am just looking at it from a legal standpoint to make sure your claims are legit. They very well may be, so please don't be offended if they are. 2 weeks just seemed pretty fast to guarantee in all cases. 

  • Insurance Agent · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2016 · 100 posts · 36 votes
    10y

     @Jim Adrian That's extremely fair criticism, I honestly expected to hear it more harshly and from more than one respondent. Thank you for your thoughtful and tactful response.

    I did consider the branding effect, along with the experience:expectation of my demographic. I imagine some will be turned off but I'd rather have 3% respond with mixed views than .5% respond to elegant branding. 

    I feel more confident fielding a call from a annoyed homeowner with a house problem than I do getting not getting a phone call at all. In my mind if the homeowner has feelings about my ad that's a good thing. 

  • Insurance Agent · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2016 · 100 posts · 36 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Joe Splitrock:

    @Eric H. I am curious about the statement, cash offer today close in 2 weeks or less. Is that a true statement that you can backup with previous experience that your deals all close in 2 weeks or less? I am just thinking you may want to say something like "close in as little as 2 weeks". I am just looking at it from a legal standpoint to make sure your claims are legit. They very well may be, so please don't be offended if they are. 2 weeks just seemed pretty fast to guarantee in all cases. 

     You're right as little as is better, I'll amend.

  • Julie MarquezPro Member
    Investor · Skagit County, WA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 807 votes
    10y

    I'm with @Jim Adrian. Why do these things have to look so graphically hideous? I understand that it's the way it goes and it's what works, but man, it's annoying to me. I can't read the website in the photo. Maybe a font with a serif, they are easier to read. But really, it doesn't matter much. But really, I can't read the website address. But really, so many bold colors. But really, just sent it out.

  • Julie MarquezPro Member
    Investor · Skagit County, WA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 807 votes
    10y

    @Eric H. I think you should put your picture on the card by your name, you look like a friendly guy who would be easy to talk to (based off this one little picture of you here). You don't look like an obnoxious, bold, glossy, bright, CASH postcard type of person.

  • Missy H.Pro Member
    Investor · Bloomfield, NJ · Member since 2015 · 207 posts · 121 votes
    10y

    @Gina Ruffand @Jim Adrianhave made 2 very good points.  The wording, which you have already mentioned that you will adjust....and the colors should be changed. The green and orange background simply clash.  I think that you should get rid of the orange background and leave it white, with colored lettering.

    Good luck.

  • Insurance Agent · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2016 · 100 posts · 36 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Julie Marquez:

    @Eric H. I think you should put your picture on the card by your name, you look like a friendly guy who would be easy to talk to (based off this one little picture of you here). You don't look like an obnoxious, bold, glossy, bright, CASH postcard type of person.

     Thanks Julie I'll take the compliment! To be honest I'm not too keen on putting my picture on this post card. I have seen some with pictures but I think I'd rather take my chances at speaking to my sellers internal dialogue. I'm happy to show my face but I'd like to give them a reason to like me first.

  • Real Estate Agent · Buena Park, CA · Member since 2016 · 743 posts · 424 votes
    10y
    My turn,if I may. Don't like the colors,not clean and professional. Picture of house should be much bigger.Just say "Any home,any condition,any reason!".You don't need the long laundry list of sad reasons to sell depressing the potential customers."Don't delay,call today!" "Help is only a phone call away!"
  • Investor · Rochester, MA · Member since 2015 · 33 posts · 10 votes
    10y

    I have zero experience with this type of advertising, but I wonder if it is very different than advertising anything else. I have had a few businesses, and I have always found it better to advertise "benefits" rather than "features".  What was it that Stanley Tools said?? Something like: "People don't want to buy "hole saws", they want to buy "holes". I have always prescribed to that method and it has worked well in my businesses. This may very well be totally different ... and I have no experience here .... but I have been wondering about this. I would be interested in hearing if anyone has tried this approach. 

    If benefit based advertising were the best approach for this, then I would imagine one would want to highlight the benefits, such as "I will buy your headaches". Or: "Have real estate Problems? I will help you solve them and pay you CASH! Something to that effect ... stressing how they will be relieved of their real estate problem. People most likely don't want to give up a more valuable asset (piece of real estate) for less value (cash at less then market value), but they are willing to do so to get rid of their headache/problem. So the real benefit, IMO, is the removal of a problem. 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Tustin, CA · Member since 2015 · 433 posts · 103 votes
    10y

    "Don't fix it, clean it, or ignore it"..I like that!

  • Ian WalshBusiness Member
    Lender · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    It looks good.  When we used to buy houses we would use all different kinds of post card techniques.  The key we found was just being consistent with mailing the list over and over again until the results or calls were under a certain threshold.  Then we would take a break on that list.  Almost any card will make the phone ring.  Tracking the calls per campaign is key.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.