Marketing with Car Magnets

Marketing with Car Magnets

Landlord and Rehabber · Newton, MA · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 877 votes

Hey BiggerPockets marketing experts.

I would like to know people's thoughts on using car magnets to generate leads? I have some but just have never gotten over the "tacky" factor to put them on my car.

Stupid I know. Obviously part of the beauty of a magnet sign is I can take it off in a situation where that might be an issue.

Anyway I was curious what people thought the effectiveness of this type of marketing is vs. other types.

I'm also curious if there are seasonal differences. I'm in MA so it would be interesting to know if there are seasonal differences with them.

Like is their a dip in the winter when all the old people with equity in Massachusetts go the Florida or Phoenix to play golf for 6 months. :)

Thanks for any insights!

0Reply
195 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Macomb, MI · Member since 2013 · 654 posts · 115 votes
13y

I have used a magnet on my truck for a year now. I have gotten a few calls but no real leads. I do it mainly for tax write off. my vehicle becomes 100% tax deductible instead of keeping mileage records. Gave me so much deductions last year my accountant couldn't even use them all because he said it could get me audited even though all my receipts are legit.

See this reply in the discussion

80 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Macomb, MI · Member since 2013 · 654 posts · 115 votes
    13y

    Thanks @Steven Hamilton II . Hopefully this post will help some others as well.

  • Landlord and Rehabber · Newton, MA · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 877 votes
    13y

    @Aaron Yates

    and @Steven Hamilton II

    While you guys technically hijacked the thread that was a very interesting exchange and I hope it peaked peoples curiosities to examine their own vehicle expense reporting. :)

  • Investor · Macomb, MI · Member since 2013 · 654 posts · 115 votes
    13y

    sorry about that @Shaun Reilly . Didn't mean to.. ha ha ha...

  • Landlord and Rehabber · Newton, MA · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 877 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Aaron Yates:
    sorry about that @Shaun Reilly . Didn't mean to.. ha ha ha...

    Like I said @Aaron Yates

    it was really good info that will hopefully help some people.

    Just noticed it got featured in the newsletter the other day so something in here was interesting enough that the powers that be decided to share it. :)

  • Investor · Macomb, MI · Member since 2013 · 654 posts · 115 votes
    13y

    @Shaun Reilly

    , wehre are the news letters posted? I haven't had much time to stay involved on here like I was when I first signed up. I have been working long days and not to mention the hour long drive each way to work.

  • Landlord and Rehabber · Newton, MA · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 877 votes
    13y

    @Aaron Yates

    It has been so long I don't remember how I did. Figured it would be pretty easy to see a side button or an option in one of the top menus but I don't see any "Sign up for our newsletter/updates" thing.

    @Brandon Turner

    and @Joshua D.

    Where does one go to sign up for your wonderful BiggerPockets Newsletter???

  • Specialist · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2012 · 462 posts · 294 votes
    13y

    Look, stop being embarrassed or self conscience about marketing. Marketing works. Some methods may have fewer return, but it only takes one to make it worth it.

    Think of it as an investment in you and your business.

    My first property, I invested in a $35 program, and about $100 for letters on letterhead, stamps, business cards, etc... Not to mention paid newspaper advertisements (many moons ago) and it returned one call that turned into one deal which turned into a net profit of $35K plus tax benefits.

    So was it worth it?

    Hell yes.

    Be long term goal oriented, patient and it will pay off.

    If you have to pay a guy in a clown suit near the steps of the courthouse on auction day holding a sign reading, "Let me Buy your Winning Bid for a Quick Profit!!!", then by all means - GO FOR IT!

    Just ONE DEAL, is all it takes to make it worth it.

    My Two Pesos.

    Big Henry

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    13y

    @Shaun Reilly - You should be subscribed when you join BP. If you're not getting it, you can always sign up again via the top of the BP Blog (there's a form there) or on our newsletter archive.

  • Investor · Macomb, MI · Member since 2013 · 654 posts · 115 votes
    13y

    @Steven Hamilton II

    UPDATE: After some more discussion with my CPA here is what we came up with to help eliminate any possible discrepancies. Now we are going to be claiming 80% vehicle use to the business and the other 20% will be expenses for advertising.

    This 20% now becomes personal income to me that the business pays me to advertise for it on my vehicle during personal use. Granted I will have to claim it on my personal taxes but he said doing it this way should also help prevent any issues in the case of an audit and claiming 100% since I technically do go to the grocery store or dinner or what not with the vehicle as well.

    Again, my structure helps as well being an S-Corp instead of a C-Corp.

  • Landlord and Rehabber · Newton, MA · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 877 votes
    13y

    Thanks @Joshua D.

    I get them (and always look forward to Thurs and Sun for them!).

    @Aaron Yates

    was asking and then I was having a hard time seeing how to.

    Thanks for the clarification.

    WAY off topic now but I would humbly suggest that it may be worth making a more prominent "Sign up for our updates" type of thing so the lurkers sign up for it. I'd have to guess that if someone was here and then started getting the dozen top blog posts, half dozen best forum posts and the newest podcast served up to them on a silver platter they will be that much more likely to get involved with the community.

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    13y

    Not a bad idea, @Shaun Reilly . We'll pow-wow the idea. Enough hijacking of the thread, though . . . ;)

  • Accountant, Enrolled Agent · Grayslake, IL · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Aaron Yates:
    @Steven Hamilton II
    UPDATE: After some more discussion with my CPA here is what we came up with to help eliminate any possible discrepancies. Now we are going to be claiming 80% vehicle use to the business and the other 20% will be expenses for advertising.

    This 20% now becomes personal income to me that the business pays me to advertise for it on my vehicle during personal use. Granted I will have to claim it on my personal taxes but he said doing it this way should also help prevent any issues in the case of an audit and claiming 100% since I technically do go to the grocery store or dinner or what not with the vehicle as well.

    Again, my structure helps as well being an S-Corp instead of a C-Corp.

    @Aaron Yates ,

    That is exactly what I was looking to hear from him. :)

    -Steven

  • Landlord and Rehabber · Newton, MA · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 877 votes
    13y

    Glad to try to help the cause @Joshua D.

    :)

    Back on topic:

    I finally put a window decal on my rear windshield today. Feel that will break the seal on the vehicle advertising.

    I have a little body damage on the car from a fender bender so I am going to look over the directions for putting the magnets on to make sure they will actually stick right with that before putting them on.

  • Investor · Macomb, MI · Member since 2013 · 654 posts · 115 votes
    13y

    @Shaun Reilly

    , what does it say? Got a pic?

  • Landlord and Rehabber · Newton, MA · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 877 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Aaron Yates:
    @Shaun Reilly

    , what does it say? Got a pic?

    Tried taking one but phone is acting up.

    Didn't think to but after you said it seems like a fun stupid thing to put on Facebook and Twitter so I'm working on it. :)

  • Landlord and Rehabber · Newton, MA · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 877 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Shaun Reilly:
    Originally posted by Aaron Yates:
    @Shaun Reilly
    , what does it say? Got a pic?

    Tried taking one but phone is acting up.

    Didn't think to but after you said it seems like a fun stupid thing to put on Facebook and Twitter so I'm working on it. :)

    Finally brought out the real camera to get some.

    Also I did break down and put the car magnets on! These are smaller and not branded since I am worried that the one on the passenger side will stay on since there is some damage and isn't laying totally flat.

    Also here that people do steal them so I figure I'll use these then will put on my better ones once I figure out if these will be issues.

  • Investor · Macomb, MI · Member since 2013 · 654 posts · 115 votes
    13y

    @Shaun Reilly . Vistaprint?? That's where I got mine from. Never had anyone steal my magnet but then again mine wasn't to advertise buying. It advertises that I lease, sell, buy, rehab and so forth and has my company name on it.

    The window sticker is too small. i ordered these too. Then I got them and was like.. ummm... ok... So I didn't even use them.

    I'm getting my new company logo design put on tomorrow on my back window and am finishing up my tailgate advertising for buying houses.

  • Beverly Hills, FL · Member since 2013 · 388 posts · 62 votes
    13y

    I was in the sign business about 12 yrs. ago magnetic signs were popular then. A word of warning if you use them remember to remove them at least twice a year and clean under them and then apply a light coat of polish. Have seen this area rust out if not done.

  • Investor · Macomb, MI · Member since 2013 · 654 posts · 115 votes
    13y

    @Steve Smith good point. I wash my truck and get it waxed once a week and remove the sign to do so anyways. But am soon removing my magnet in exchange for vinyl adverting on the window and tailgate.

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2013 · 25 posts · 3 votes
    13y

    personal opinion--the tacky factor outweighs the potential lead.

  • Beverly Hills, FL · Member since 2013 · 388 posts · 62 votes
    13y

    @Aaron Yates I had my business truck lettered with vinyl after removing three years later, it took three years before I stopped seeing the outline of the vinyl

    The area under the vinyl does not fade as much, but I am here in Florida where it is sunshine 10 months a year. Do not know how it affects in northern climates

  • Landlord and Rehabber · Newton, MA · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 877 votes
    13y

    @Aaron Yates

    Yeah Vistaprint. These are the totally free ones I got a while back. So if anything happens it doesn't matter.

    I have some better ones that are similar that have my company logo and some that have my logo and theme that matches some signs, banners and other stuff I have.

    If these stay on right and don't get taken I will put on the better ones.

    As for the window decal yeah no way that anyone can read it while driving. But you can see it if you are walking by and I think it will get some brand awareness out there with other investors at meetings.

    @Steve Smith

    Thanks for the advice. The directions that came with them said to do that every two DAYS, yeah that isn't happening. But I will make a point to take them off and clean every so often.

  • Dev HornPro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Arlington, TX · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    13y

    I'm not sure if I posted this earlier but just so people have a realistic expectation... Don't expect many calls from your car magnets. They are ultimately more for branding than for direct response.

  • Investor · Macomb, MI · Member since 2013 · 654 posts · 115 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Dev Horn:
    I'm not sure if I posted this earlier but just so people have a realistic expectation... Don't expect many calls from your car magnets. They are ultimately more for branding than for direct response.

    I agree. I have only received maybe 3 or 4 calls in a year. I know this because my current magnet has a different phone number I used specifically for this. But my magnet was for branding and not for selling.

    When i first advertised for buying, it was vinyl letters on my back window. I did receive a couple form submissions through my website and a phone call. One was a lead but after doing due diligence, her back taxes were more than the house was worth. LITERALLY... So it was no deal.

    @Steve Smith , there is a solution now that wipes away the 'shadow' you are talking about. I just found out about it two days ago. My vinyl guy told me about it. Obviously the longer the lettering is on, the worse it will be. But I don't know how long I will keep it on the tailgate at this point anyways. I don't tend to keep vehicles for 3 years. My longest was almost two years.

  • Landlord and Rehabber · Newton, MA · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 877 votes
    12y

    Just upgraded to the branded ones I have:

    Still small ones. I have this same design in a larger one but the way I had stored them they got a little creased so I am putting them under some heavy stuff to flatten them back out. :)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.